main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BC The Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Gungan_Lover, Apr 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gungan_Lover

Gungan_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    What did you think of it? Do you really hate Jar Jar? List at least one thing you liked and one thing you disliked about the movie. :)

Liked: Jar Jar, special effects/podrace, musical score.

Disliked: some of the acting -- but most of it was okay, the use of midichlorians as an explanation of the force.

2. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    liked: the costumes and scenery, action was okay

disliked: well not to be offensive, but I found the plot rather slow and boring. First movies are always like that because they're introductions and I've always found introductions boring.

3. Peej

Peej Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2000
    I loved the movie but if I were to gripe about anything it would be a little to much Jar Jar and a little to little on Maul. But then I suppose from what I have read elsewhere those are common complaints. It just irked me when I read that Maul originally had more lines in earlier scripts.

4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I was blown away by this film. I really appreciated how much time and effort and wonderful creative fire went into it... particulaly the conceptual art of Doug Chiang: I love that man's work. The phenomenal vistas, the wonderful fight choreography... these were terrific. It was also great to see a real Jedi Knight in action at the height of the Jedi's powers... (helped that it was Liam Neeson: yum!) And Natalie Portman carried off a very difficult role with grace, regal dignity and true charisma.

What I didn't like: the fact that it asked more questions than it answered, the obvious merchandising, and the overuse of CGI. The cript wasn't nearly as dynamic as I had hoped, and the inclusion of C3PO as a creation of Anakin left me cold, as did the idea of midichlorians.It lacked the mythic depths of the Holy trilogy ;) and tried to replace them with massive FX shots... arid of real vibrance in the conflict, the end left me hoping to the gods that the second movie would be as better as Empire was ANH.

Did I mention I was opinionated? :)

*Derisa*

5. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    LOL!
    I too liked Natalie Portman. I thought she brought a real sence of grace to the queen.
    I didn't like the podrace farting scene. I saw the original trilogy when I was young and always appreciated the fact Star Wars movies never patronized or talked down to kids. I found this scene patronizing.

Gungan Lover:
    I know this is off topic but have you found this site?
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Oaks/8689/links2.html

6. Traan-Lakel

Traan-Lakel Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2001
    Liked: Natalie Portman, JarJar, Lightsabers, podracing, Yoda.

Disliked: "Yippee!", "Are you an angel?", Anakin didn't kick little Greedo's ass like he did in the Novel by Terry Brooks.

7. AdeptusAstartes

AdeptusAstartes Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2001
    I liked the: Choreography: Ray Park (darth Maul ) Is the best stuntman in the business.
    The scenery. Good visuals.

I disliked: Maul dieing, Never should have happened. My personal opinion, Jar jar is a bit to cheezy like a certain purple dinasaur
    who is geared to kids. Star wars is not a kids movie itis an young adult and older movie. descrepancies of timeline.
    But this is all nitpicking its a good movie for whut it is worth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.