main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends The Planting Season -- Obi/Qui mush, 13 years pre-TPM, one post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by poor yorick, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Title: The Planting Season
    Author: ophelia
    Timeframe: About 13 years prior to TPM. Obi-Wan is 12
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Genre: Mush and gentle angst, some humor
    Summary: Before a Jedi is ready for epic adventures, he has to learn to face everyday challenges with steadiness and courage. Qui-Gon helps his young apprentice navigate one such everyday struggle.
    Author Note: This story is set in my made-up ?alternate EU.? Obi-Wan?s backstory is quite different from in the JA books, but you don?t need to know the whole thing for the story to make sense. Just suspend disbelief and come along for the ride. :p

This story is especially for Princess_Arulmozhi and DarthIshtar, who have been such wonderful, loyal readers over the years. The Obi/Qui mush is for P_A, who is the queen of such things, and Kemé is for Ish?who actually writes her better than I do.

Other Note: This fic was tested on DarthIshtar and found safe for human use. Ish was only mildly harmed in the making of this fanfic.

(Seriously-?thanks for beta?ing, Ish. ;))

A Jedi?s career always ended with courage. Some ends were heroic, some tragic, some soft and peaceful, but all were without fear, since from the very beginning of their lives, Jedi trained to face the end.

The start of a Jedi?s life outside the Temple also required great courage, although a young Padawan?s path to Knighthood was not usually marked by especial heroism, tragedy, or peacefulness.

Usually, he started out sick.

Qui-Gon had not been terribly surprised when his twelve-year-old apprentice, out of the Temple for all of two months, had gone to bed early the night before, complaining of a headache. It also wasn?t all that surprising that poor Obi-Wan was currently clutching the duraplast liner of a waste disposal bin, still reeling after apparently throwing up everything he had ever eaten in his life.

They were in the common room of the well-appointed quarters they?d been assigned to on their current diplomatic mission?a low-priority one among people who were reasonably understanding, fortunately. Masters with novice Padawans were usually assigned such ?soft? missions for a time, precisely because their small wards tended to require close supervision at sudden and awkward moments?such as when they started the morning off by getting sick in every receptacle within a fifteen-meter radius of their beds. Obi-Wan had already gotten the sink in the miniature kitchen area, both the sink and the toilet in the ?fresher, and now his disposal-bin liner, which he?d taken with him into the common room once he was feeling ?better.?

Qui-Gon?s first apprentice had made a fairly smooth transition from the Temple to the outside world, but after thirteen years as her guardian and mentor, he was a well-broken-in veteran of caring for sick young people. His portable ?med bay? was therefore already close at hand, and it consisted of the really useful things that he had not valued as highly when he was a first-time Master. The actual emergency kit was now in a sealed box at the bottom of his small pack of belongings, on the floor of the closet in the little apartment?s master bedroom. There it would stay, as well, until someone was bitten by a deadly Tovè?s Viper or shattered all their bones by falling from the top of a cliff onto a moving speeder.

By contrast, the supplies he?d placed on the low table by the common room couch included commonplace things like a damp cloth and a bowl of cool water, a bottle of a mint-flavored mouth rinse that neutralized the taste of vomit, a thermometer, a pitcher and glass of water, and various mild fever-reducers and anti-emetics, none of which Obi-Wan had been able to keep down.

There was also a tube of ?stillpoint gel,? a remedy peculiar to Jedi, that Obi-Wan seemed to find helpful. At least, he kept asking his Master to put new dabs of it on the insides of his wrists. The stuff created a cool, tingling sensation

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What a neat story - beautifully written.

?This is going to kill me, isn?t it,? Obi-Wan said.

?Of course not. Don?t be silly,? Qui-Gon said. He could tell that the boy?s serious worries about death were approximately zero?Obi-Wan just wanted someone to argue with. One couldn?t argue with a nasty infective agent, after all, and that left one?s Master by process of elimination.

?Yes, it is,? Obi-Wan insisted. ?They can cremate me in the city incinerator, and you can mail me home in a plasform tube.?

Qui-Gon wasn?t entirely sure where *that* idea had come from, and he wasn?t inclined to ask. Instead he said, ?I don?t believe I shall be mailing you anywhere.?

?Then you?ll have to carry me through the spaceport in a box,? Obi-Wan said.

Qui-Gon turned his head just enough so that he could look at the boy without jostling him. Obi-Wan felt best when he was kept absolutely still. ?When did you develop a sense of gallows humor?? he asked. Wasn?t this the child who?d been laying out toy cities on the floors of the Temple just a few months ago?

?What?s ?gallows humor??? Obi-Wan asked. The innocence of the question was tempered by his obvious annoyance that his Master was insensitively talking in code at him.

?It?s when a person pretends his own misfortune is funny. Usually it?s intended to make it look as if he doesn?t care about something that he really does,? Qui-Gon said.

?Oh,? Obi-Wan said. ?In that case, I?ve always had it.? His interest in the matter appeared to pass, as if he couldn?t be bothered with such trivialities at the moment. He let his head roll sideways slightly until it rested against Qui-Gon?s, and then he shut his eyes. The gesture was more one of exhaustion than open affection, but Qui-Gon hadn?t been essentially used as an inanimate object in quite that way in a long time. Obi-Wan might have discovered gallows humor, but apparently in moments of crisis he still thought of adults as being like the basic forces of the universe?absolutely reliable and not necessarily sentient.

?No,? Obi-Wan informed him. The boy could be fantastically grouchy when he wanted to be.

?We are a font of optimism, aren?t we?? he asked.

?Why bother being a font of optimism when you?re going to die?? Obi-Wan asked. Qui-Gon wasn?t sure if that question had philosophical implications by accident or on purpose, and honestly, he didn?t really want to know.

Deciding to give up on arguing with his student, he said, ?Very well?your life will be wretched and short. Now, I need you to move your arm.?

With that in mind, Qui-Gon sat down on an edge of the table, and watched his apprentice sleep.

That's just some of the stuff I absolutely loved! Wonderful job.
    =D= =D= [:D]

3. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Sweet little fic...Love Obi-Wan's developing SOH...

-DS

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I felt so bad for giggling hysterically at some points of this, but then after all, who would have suspected near-projectile vomiting for 9 pages to be so profound. I loved reading the differences in challenges of raising a daughter vs. raising a son. I liked Qui-Gon thinking about Obi-wan facing down an opponent down a lightsaber blade as a result of the same character that made him a good patient.

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Hehe, I am a "looker" too, and the secret is, that if you force us to look away is when you get the violent flinch.

I feel so badly for young Obi-Wan, because this was pretty much my life about 5 times in my past, and unending misery like this does have you wishing for the silence of "death".. He will survive, and a parent is doing what he can. Just sitting patiently and carefully tending the crops of raising a moral, ethical, and caring adult.

6. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Valairy_Scot: Thank you! [:D] And thank you for taking the time to reply and let me know what you liked. :)

-Darksaber- wrote: Love Obi-Wan's developing SOH...

I'm addicted to Obi-Wan's dry sense of humor. :p It wouldn't sound right if it were imported straight from, say, RotS into the mind of a little guy, but the kid's working on it.

DarthIshtar wrote: I felt so bad for giggling hysterically at some points of this,

Now, wait . . . you beta'ed this sucker. If there was a problem, why didn't you mention it last night?! :p

I loved reading the differences in challenges of raising a daughter vs. raising a son.

I figured you'd like the Kemé references. ;) They're partly in there for you.

Noelie

I feel so badly for young Obi-Wan, because this was pretty much my life about 5 times in my past, and unending misery like this does have you wishing for the silence of "death"..

Yeah . . . I have no idea what the ER staff shot me up with one time when I went in there endlessly puking, but within 20 minutes life was worth living again.

I love drugs. :p

He will survive, and a parent is doing what he can. Just sitting patiently and carefully tending the crops of raising a moral, ethical, and caring adult.

What a sweet way of putting it . . . and Qui-Gon's definitely trying. He's got good material to work with too, which he notices. You can't be a great teacher without a great student.

Thank you all very much for responding. :) I read JA mush sometimes, but this is my first go at writing it. I needed a break from all the soul-corroding angst. :p

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    No, no, I was giggling hysterically during the beta and after. For example, Obi-Wan being intensely fascinated by his tormentors, looking at the thermometer as if he were Keme in the Eternal Now. And I have the same gallows humor as Obi-Wan. And of course i loved Keme references galore!

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaah, writing from experience. Poor, poor Obi-Wan really did suffer. And I loved the droid and it's little assistant! It came right away and it was a model that Qui-Gon trusted, too. Qui-Gon was such a wonderful father figure to his sick, little Padawan; it was most enjoyable.:D

Mush can be good for the soul; it's the payoff from angst.

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Looooooooooooong reply to come here:

10. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    he still thought of adults as being like the basic forces of the universe?absolutely reliable and not necessarily sentient.

That is so true! I love how your write a child's heart into this....I remember using my dad and grandparents like that when I was little. Didn't matter who it was, just that they were THERE. Aww....

11. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Ish: Well, so long as you were giggling through the beta too, then no worries. :p

Actually, I'm just messing with you. ;)

ardavenport: wrote: Mush can be good for the soul; it's the payoff from angst.

Yeah, pretty much. :p Why else would we spend so much time tormenting the characters we love? And thank you very much for visiting and replying, by the way. :)

P_A wrote: Looooooooooooong reply to come here

Only as you have time. Don't sweat it if you don't. :)

Lady_Snow_Kaguya wrote: I remember using my dad and grandparents like that when I was little. Didn't matter who it was, just that they were THERE. Aww....

Yeah, from a kid's perspective, an adult's entire reason for existence is to take care of them. :p That can be maddening for the adult, but it's also a demonstration of the most faith someone will ever put in another person. This may be the only time I will ever quote "The Crow" in a philosophical context, but "'Mother' is the name of God upon the lips of every child." Or, for those who don't have mothers, "Master" may do. :p

Thank you very much for replying, too. :)

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That was very nice, Ophelia. Quite profound, albeit wrapped into a slightly weird package.

Qui-Gon as Obi-Wan's father? Yeah, that's pretty much spot-on. Loved the kid's reaction to the medical droids, too.

13. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Very nice! Cute Obi and Qui...great job!!!

14. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Certainly I have the time. Heck, I'll make time. Especially, for one of your masterpieces.

Thank you a zillion times for writing this. I've missed your writing on the Before Boards, the Obi-Wan in your AU, in particular - a mush-maniac couldn't have asked for more. [face_love] Now, I shall try to pull a solojones. :D

[blockquote]Usually, they started out sick. [/blockquote]

Trust you to start off with heroic deeds, and then end with falling sick. :D Although one wonders. Sickness is as tough as a battleground, as you so rightly put it, later on. But it's still probably the one thing a common or garden citizen of the Old Republic shares with a Jedi - barring all the exotic diseases they run through.

The soft missions for new masters also made a great deal of sense -one can't expect them to go gallivanting on death-defying stunts with a kid tagging along. It makes sense they would be given some time to make the transition easier. Also loved the bit about where Qui-Gon actually stored his med-kit. :)

[blockquote]There it would stay, as well, until someone was bitten by a deadly Tovè?s Viper or shattered all their bones by falling from the top of a cliff onto a moving speeder.[/blockquote]

Visions of AoTC Obi zipping through the skylanes of Coruscant on that 'thing'... :D I suppose the unconventional Master rubbed off on the apprentice ...not to mention his first padawan.

Kemé - Mistress of All Shiny Things, including Spoons! :D

I was hoping she might be there, spouting some old Alderaani poetry, or something. :p

[blockquote]There was also a tube of ?stillpoint gel,? a remedy peculiar to Jedi, that Obi-Wan seemed to find helpful. At least, he kept asking his Master to put new dabs of it on the insides of his wrists.[/blockquote]

Now this is exactly what I like about your stories - those little details that bring the story alive. There would be some stuff like that, which Obi would take comfort from (regardless of whether it actually was any use.)

[blockquote]Sympathy pains jabbed Qui-Gon?s own gut whenever Obi-Wan had another spasm of vomiting, especially when the boy reflexively gripped that sore place, but the Master Jedi also felt compelled to watch from a bit of a mental distance and evaluate how the child was coping.

From the very beginning, Jedi prepared themselves for the end?and the little one sitting on Qui-Gon?s lap was already learning how to withstand pain and face down fear.[/blockquote]

Awww:*. Lovely mush. Poor Obi-Wan who's probably thrown up too many times to keep count, and poor Qui-Gon too, it's worse watching, than actually going through it.

'Child' - [face_love] [face_love]

I'm drowning in impossibly sweet feelings.

[blockquote]He *was* being extraordinarily contrary at the moment, but being disagreeable was one way of killing the demoralizing whispers of pain.[/blockquote]

That sentence seems so very Obi-Wannish, and yet is so... lyrical, I think. I like seeing a time when Obi-Wan is just plain feeling contrary - when he isn't so grown up that he's concealing it too well. And it shows how much he truly valued Qui-Gon, if he *could* be contrary, ill or not.

[blockquote]Qui-Gon had known Obi-Wan since he was pulled from the ruined city of Ixaca as a three-year-old?a lad too Force-blessed to have been killed and too stubborn to give up and die.[/blockquote]

My kind of AU. :D

[blockquote]One couldn?t argue with a nasty infective agent, after all, and that left one?s Master by process of elimination. [/blockquote]

Gah. [face_laugh]

[blockquote]The feel of the boy?s sweat-dampened spiky hair against his cheek stirred up feelings too fundamental for Jedi training to root out, however. [/blockquote]

More [face_love] [face_love].

[blockquote]Obi-Wan might have discovered gallows humor, but apparently in moments of crisis he still thought of adults as being like the basic forces of the universe?absolutely reliable and not necessarily s

15. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    RK_Striker_JK_5 : Hey, projectile vomiting can't be profound? :p And yes, I prefer to think of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan having a kind of father/son relationship . . . it's a lot less depressing than the ice-cold wicked stepmother/Cinderella image that turns up now and again. :(

Thank you very much for stopping in and letting me know you liked it. :)

kenobiwanobi: Thank you! [:D] I appreciate your taking the time to reply, as well.

P_A wrote: I shall try to pull a solojones.

And you succeeded! You've definitely given her a run for her money. :p

But it's still probably the one thing a common or garden citizen of the Old Republic shares with a Jedi - barring all the exotic diseases they run through.

At one point GL said something about how anyone could be a hero--that you didn't have to be a big, flashy hero; you could be a "very small hero." I'm not sure, but I think he was referring to the idea that what drives the Jedi isn't flashy--it's just a lot of small, everyday decisions not to give in to fear that add up to an impressive courage over time. Poor old Ani got the big, flashy courage stuff, but he was never quite able to manage those tiny, everyday decisions.

The soft missions for new masters also made a great deal of sense -one can't expect them to go gallivanting on death-defying stunts with a kid tagging along.

Yeah . . . especially if Padawan learners start out as young as seven(?!), which is the age George gives on the TPM DVD. Seven was the traditional age to start samurai training, which is probably where that comes from, but I highly doubt that swordmasters were dragging little bitty students into battle. What do you *do* with an apprentice that small in a real fight, other than tell him to "stay in that cockpit" and wait for him to accidentally blow up a droid control ship?

Also loved the bit about where Qui-Gon actually stored his med-kit.

I had all my fancy "big guns" out at the start of my first year of teaching, too. Almost never used 'em. They went in various closets, while we used useful things like the whiteboard and the overhead projector. :p

I was hoping she might be there, spouting some old Alderaani poetry, or something.

I can probably manage to work her into something. :) The thing is, I'm convinced that the only thing that keeps Kemé from being a Mary Sue is that she only shows up when she's needed. If there's no specific reason she has to be in a scene, she isn't there.[ul]There was also a tube of ?stillpoint gel,? a remedy peculiar to Jedi, that Obi-Wan seemed to find helpful. At least, he kept asking his Master to put new dabs of it on the insides of his wrists.[/ul]Now this is exactly what I like about your stories - those little details that bring the story alive. There would be some stuff like that, which Obi would take comfort from (regardless of whether it actually was any use.)

Stillpoint gel was actually in a non-final draft of SWoA, but it ended up being unnecessary and delaying more important things, so I cut it. Unsurprisingly, I had adult Obi-Wan still liking the stuff, while Anakin thought it was the most useless substance imaginable.

I'm drowning in impossibly sweet feelings.

Well, that's the point of JA mush . . . :p

I like seeing a time when Obi-Wan is just plain feeling contrary - when he isn't so grown up that he's concealing it too well. And it shows how much he truly valued Qui-Gon, if he *could* be contrary, ill or not.

It's true he's not playing the "I'm fine" game here. Come to think of it, I didn't have him play at being "fine" during the Qui-Gon vision section of SWoA. His attitude was pretty much, "This sucks, this double, quintuple, super-sucks, and don't tell me to have a good attitude about it, 'cause I won't." :p In this story, Qui-Gon is correct in assuming that what will change is the sophistication level of the crabby comments.

To be self-reliant at all times, except when.... when one couldn't be self

16. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    This . . . is absolutely gorgeous.

As many of your reviewers have already pointed out, it's the little details that really bring this story alive. Obi-Wan holding one point of his stomach that hurt, playing with the thermometer, depending on Qui-Gon with such unquestioning, childlike faith . . . all very beautiful. And how Qui-Gon couldn't help seeing this young boy as his son, as un-Jedi-like as it may be. It was very sweet mush, and very insightful notes on their characters.

Beautiful job. I am delighted beyond words.

17. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Wow...

What can I say, this is so beautiful! :_|

I love mush :) I love stories like this one [:D]

Great story ophelia! :D

18. adawn

adawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2005
    I meant to reply to this some time ago when I first read the story, but I'm not sure why I didn't. Anyway, it was absolutely beautiful. I'm a big fan of Qui/Obi mush, and I'd quote all my favourite bits but I'd just be quoting the story verbatim.

Wonderful stuff!

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

So cute and adorable Qui-Gon is such a softy
    looking after his 'son'=D=

Very nice story=D=

20. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Thank you guys for reading and replying, first of all! [:D]

maychorian -- I'm glad the small details worked for you . . . :) there really needs to be *something* redeeming in a story that's basically about someone being sick. :p

MASTER_KAYM -- Great to see you around again! :D And thank you--I appreciate it. [:D]

adawn -- No worries on waiting a while. I do that myself rather a lot. :p Thank you for remembering the story and posting to say you liked it. :)

Gkilkenny -- Yeah . . . I did make Qui-Gon a big old smushball . . . :p even aloof and eccentric Jedi have to have their smushball moments at times, don't they? Especially if they inspire that kind of loyalty in an apprentice? At least I hope so. :D

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Community Squirrel Whisperer star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What a terrific story. Most satisfying as well.

Qui-Gon was far from a sentimental man, but he felt a certain tightening in his throat as he used a gentle Force-suggestion to nudge the boy back into slumber. That look had been one beyond love, beyond even need in the strict, survival-based sense. It was probably the way a non-Jedi child looked at its parent, not that Qui-Gon would ever know.

One of my fave passages. [face_love] [face_love]

22. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    I loved this story. [face_love] Really brought a smile to my face.

Qui-Gon supposed it was a sign of desperation when a twelve-year-old was practically begging a medical droid to poke a hole in his arm.

[face_laugh]

Great job!

23. padmay_skywalker

padmay_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    =D= Wonderfully done!!

I must admit i found Obi's SOH quiet funny. I loved it!

Qui is so sweet when he wants to be and no one is looking. His 'son'.....ahh

24. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Upping just to say Thank You to the readers who voted for this story in the SFFA. [:D] I'm very flattered and most appreciative. I have to tell you I was floored to see my name come up for "Best Vignette!" There's so much excellent material around here that I really didn't think I had a hope--much as I was honored by the nominations. The win was "a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one." :p It was most kind of you to remember this story, and to take the time to wrangle with the forms and specifications of the awards. (Hey, it can be hard getting around to filling out those forms. I let mine gather dust for kind of a while. :p)

Some of you nommed and voted for other stories of mine too, and I'm no less grateful for that. Forgive me for not upping each individual nommed story to say thank you--I just don't want to knock new things off the front page unnecessarily. Still, I wanted to let you know that your thoughts and efforts were very much appreciated.

Thanks once again, :)

--ophelia

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Can we say we told you so yet? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.