main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Poetry Thread: May the Verse be with you.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth_Villanelle, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Villanelle

Darth_Villanelle Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2007
    Welcome to the Poetry Thread! We'll be keeping up an index, providing a place for discussion of poetry in Star Wars fanfic, and planning some challenges.

If you have posted or read a poem we don't have in the index, please PM Darth_Villanelle with title, author, and URL. If you have ideas for discussion questions or challenges, do the same -- we might add them into our list. We've got some ideas, but more are always good.

Current Sock Hoppers:
    Charmisjess
    Persephone_Kore

First Discussion Question: Why did you decide to click on this thread? Do you read poetry, write it, have thoughts on its relationship to Star Wars?

2. Darth_Villanelle

Jul 9, 2007
    Miscellaneous Reserved Post

3. Darth_Villanelle

Jul 9, 2007
  4. Darth_Villanelle

Jul 9, 2007
    Reserved Post

5. Darth_Villanelle

Jul 9, 2007
    Reserved Post

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I am a fan of fanpoetry. I've read a lot of it, but have only recently gotten seriously into writing it. I have tried humor pieces as well as very serious subject matter and, of course, am one of the wackily poetic lyricists of Fanfiction: The Musical.

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Why did you decide to click on this thread?

Er, I was kinda hoping filk would be included in this thread. :D

*activates the Broken Link Machine for "poem" and "poetry"*

Before
    Saga
    Beyond
    Classic
    Resource

- lazy

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    First Discussion Question: Why did you decide to click on this thread? Do you read poetry, write it, have thoughts on its relationship to Star Wars?

I do read poetry and songfics which are a kind of poetry also and one of my diaries on the Saga board contains a lot of poetry

9. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I clicked cause I am one of those weird people that writes fanfic poetry. *shrugs* The thread interested me.

Star Wars is a space opera and that, by its very nature, is epic and lyrical. This fandom, at its best, explores the boundaries and intricacies of human experience. Poetry does, too. Though they seem to make odd bed-fellows, I think they fit well.

10. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I love your name, Darth_Villanelle.
    I like some poetry, as I read so much in AP English Lit last year.
    I just wrote a vignette inspired by one of Edwin Arlington Robinson's poems, and I have an idea for one inspired by one of Dylan Thomas' poems. Though I've never tried just poetry...

11. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Why did you decide to click on this thread?

Because I'm all for poetry, if having a strange taste. *shrug*
    I think good poetry is difficult, though poetry as such is easy. I always wrote poetry and it's now the way I try to get a grip on the Mando language. It's kinda natural for me. *sometimes thinks in ryme[face_blush] *
    The most difficuölt thing about poetry today is, IMO the sopagat between traditinal and modern. Writing something that's still poetry but somehow new and exciting at the same time.

And I clicked, because I think it's extremly mean that such a thread like this should open while I'm on holiday and not able to be on much.[face_not_talking]

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Why did you decide to click on this thread? Do you read poetry, write it, have thoughts on its relationship to Star Wars?

I think I'm going to love this thread. :D

I clicked because I LOVE poetry. The lyrical, musical flow is always gorgeous. I admire anyone who can write poetry since I am awful at it myself. I adore reading poetry and when it's applied to one of my favourite fandoms... it is simply gorgeous. :)

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Good idea for a thread. :)

I clicked it because I like poetry and I like to write it. (...and, sometimes it's easier to write what I'm trying to do in poem form first and go from there...)

14. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I clicked cuz poetry is one of my favorite forms of art

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I clicked on this thread because I like reading all types of poetry, and have dabbled in it myself, though I wouldn't call myself a poet by any stretch of the imagination.

I like how you linked to lazy's search thread for indexing, but just a thought, some of the links are to stories inspired by poems as a response to the Ultimate poetry challenge and as such are not really poems.

16. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    I clicked because I'm one of the people in the sock. ;) And I'm thrilled at the response!

Charmisjess and I were inspired to start this thread partly because of the discussion of either eliminating poetry as an Awards category or (perhaps the more bizarre option) merging it with songfic. The discussion and our own research made us realize that it would probably be nice to have a thread devoted to keeping track of poetry on the boards, inspiring it, and talking about it.

Alexis_Wingstar, thank you, but we actually have to give Lazy all the credit not only the Link Machine itself but the links to it. ;) We started off with a blank index because if we'd waited until we had compiled everything we wanted... well, we still wouldn't have this thread up yet! But we've got several sources lined up, and don't worry, we'll check whether the links are actually to poems. In the meantime, we've got a great stand-in. :)

(I almost subtitled this thread "Not to be confused with the Ultimate Poetry Challenge." Come to think of it, given the kinship -- appreciation of poetry, even if their responses don't actually have to take the form -- perhaps we should link to it.)

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Charmisjess and I were inspired to start this thread partly because of the discussion of either eliminating poetry as an Awards category or (perhaps the more bizarre option) merging it with songfic. The discussion and our own research made us realize that it would probably be nice to have a thread devoted to keeping track of poetry on the boards, inspiring it, and talking about it.

It's a great idea. :cool:

(I almost subtitled this thread "Not to be confused with the Ultimate Poetry Challenge." Come to think of it, given the kinship -- appreciation of poetry, even if their responses don't actually have to take the form -- perhaps we should link to it.)

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted my last reply... you could always have a section that says "Ultimate Poetry Section Responses". :D

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    how did I miss this?

First Discussion Question: Why did you decide to click on this thread?

As a matter of fact, I don't read a lot of poetry. Almost none. But periodically, I get the itch to write one. I've posted haiku, free verse, and mostly standard rhyming poems.
    I've got 8 or 9 in my sock BeyondtheBail.

19. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I like poetry as an artform, but I tend to dislike most poems I read. However, some of the greatest lines I've ever read have been stanzas in a poem.

I clicked on this thread because while I don't write exclusive Star Wars poems, I've recently been working on a story here on the boards that explores General Grievous' species and one of the aspects I've developed as part of their culture is a respect for lyrical prose. They devise short poems as a way of immortalizing their exploits in war and love for the ages. They're big on peoms as eulogies, poems as battle strategy wisdom, poems on just about every topic. They work to refine their craft by studying the work of their ancestors.

It's all very Heian-era Japan, and it's fun to work with since I'm not a huge fan of poetry nor a very well versed student.

So I'll be checking in on this thread for any useful information, which I'm sure there will be plenty of.

20. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Hmmm, why did I click on this thread?

Good question! [face_laugh] To be honest, I have never written fan poetry, or even considered it! [face_thinking] However, I am a huge fan of real-life poetry. I have never really had much taste for fan poetry, being that it is harder to convey fandom-related poetry than real-life issues and emotions.

Thought I must say, I have found a good poemfic or two, and they were quite enjoyable! Perhaps this thread may change my perspective on fan poetry.

*runs off to read poemfics that lazy linked for us*

[face_whistling]

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Darth, perhaps we could start a poetry challenge for the thread only?

what do you think?

This thread needs some action!

22. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Oooh, I'm so glad I found this thread!

I clicked on the link because I love poetry in nearly all its forms. I've dabbled in fan-poetry myself, and have read some particularly good examples here on the Boards. I'll have to go check out the links that Lazy put up, too. :)

I'd gladly participate in a challenge here.

23. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Challenge = :D[face_dancing] Yes please!

24. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Yeah, a challenge would be great... as long as it doesn't take place in November :p

25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    DarthVillanelle has not been around for a while. I hope that he/she does not think me too forward.

Should we limit the subject matter or character for which we are writing? Or should we stick to a specific theme only? Should we keep the reponses in thread. I think so. You?

Impromptu challenge. Participate at own risk. Open and friendly challenge.

Write a poem of your own style focusing on Luke Skywalker's departure from Tatooine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.