main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Census The Post-Holiday Blues

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pensivia, Jan 2, 2023.

?

How often do you get some version of the "post-holiday" blues?

1. Pretty much every year

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Not every year, but regularly

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Some years but not very often

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Almost never/Never

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Well, January 2 is upon us. Technically still a holiday for some, but for me at least, it definitely feels like the holidays ended yesterday and so my post-holiday blues are now in full swing!

As any Google search will tell you, the post-holiday blues are quite common and often have multiple causes/contributing factors, including:

--a feeling of "let down" due to over-anticipation/unrealistic expectations for the holiday period
    --short daytime hours/effects of SAD

--for those that had significant time off, a sense of reluctance or even dread of returning to work
    --cumulative effect of less healthy behaviors over the holidays
    (overeating/too many sweets/too much alcohol/being off of one's typical sleep and exercise schedule)
    --the end of special/fun holiday activities and/or social events
    --continued grief at having had to go through the first holiday season after the loss of a loved one

So this is a thread for sharing your post-holiday blues experiences and feelings (past or present), as well as any "life hacks" you have found useful in helping yourself to keep those blues at bay!

[​IMG]

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I find the key to avoiding the post-x blues in general is to never look forward to anything.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Working a crummy/stressful job contributes greatly to my post holiday blues, which is probably why I'm not feeling it as badly this year. The last five years especially had been rough in that department, but now, I'm feeling pretty pretty good.

Juliet316 , Sarge, Lordban and 5 others like this.
  4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    whatever you do don’t take down your tree

5. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    A lot of my lifetime of post-holiday blues has always come from mild-to-moderate dread of returning to work. Though I feel bad about saying that because I fully recognize that my job is a pretty privileged one that I was fortunate enough to have fully chosen for myself. But I do have chronic work-related anxiety, so especially after doing my job for 30+ years, somehow magically being able to retire early would likely make a lot of my phb disappear.:p

I'm happy for the improvement in your work life, @I Are The Internets !

Another contributing factor for me this year was a big family blow-up that happened with my sister. She is a really hard person to get along with and the whole family was very upset with something she did, but I also just feel sorry for her because she's kind of a broken person. And it's very sad to me that as relatively small as my immediate family is, it seems almost impossible to have a visit that goes well when everyone is together.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't really enjoy getting back into the "working every day" thing, but other than that I mostly enjoy the post-holiday time period, especially if it was a good holiday season with family and friends. It's refreshing to start a new year, and the holiday decoration grinch in me enjoys knowing that once we get the Christmas decorations down it'll be almost ten months before we have to start again for Halloween.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I look at the post holidays as the start of ski season (on the East Coast) and my birthday is on the 13th so January is always a good month for me.

Juliet316 , Sarge, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  8. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I am sad because I live in Wisconsin where it is usually miserably cold in January. I think it will get more miserable this year because I have a three month old baby and I had more help with him during the holidays with my family and husband being off. All the help will be gone. :/

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you have any friends nearby with babies? If so maybe you could get together with them during the day for an hour or two to share childcare duties?

10. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    Yes. Thankfully I am meeting up with a couple of ladies who had the same midwife as me. I live in a new area and it’s been hard making friends, especially with Covid.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's good. Hopefully the adult company will help.

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Post-holiday? It's January, the holiday season isn't for another twelve months!

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Like @Pensivia mentioned, there is a mild/moderate dread of returning to work. I like my job but it is a lot. I sleep quite a bit on my 10-day to two-week winter break, and I’m not being interrupted constantly like I am at work.

I also really hate a warm week like this one, because not only does it deceptively feel like spring (and therefore closer to the end of the school year) but the heat in my building is centrally controlled and always runs too high. A good cold January and February makes post-holiday blues a bit less.

14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Though it's still very early in terms of poll results, I'm finding it very interesting to see the results almost evenly split between the "pretty much every year" crew and the "almost never/never" folks. I envy all those who don't suffer from phb!:p

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Honestly, I've been having the post-holiday blues since Halloween ended. I just want my worshipping of Evil Dead to be accepted by society goddamn it!

Lady_Belligerent , EHT and Pensivia like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Between that and the ewok thing, it's a lot to ask.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Shut up. :p

Sarge, Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    maybe burning down a certain giant straw goat will make you feel better

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_thinking]

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    For the first time in a long while, I've had nine days to rest before having to dive back into sixty-plus hour weeks with financial hardship around. I know I'm going to be maudlin tomorrow morning...

Runjedirun and Pensivia like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If by "Post-Holiday Blues" you mean albums she released post-"Lady Sings The Blues", I certainly rate Lady In Satin and Last Recordings as seminal work in her discography.

Juliet316 , Sarge, Bor Mullet and 3 others like this.
  22. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm glad you did finally get some much-needed rest, but sorry to hear you'll be back in all that stress tomorrow. Hang in there and vent about your pbh here if you think it will help :)

23. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I am lucky enough to not be much-afflicted by the "post holiday blues" but as I have gotten older, and despite the fact that with age time passes more quickly (so winter is, arguably, perceived as shorter!), I've really had enough of winter by roughly the end of January. I'm tired of the cold and dark and threat of snow (and thus, snow shoveling) as we get into February, and despite plenty of historical precedents, I am overly optimistic that "we've turned the corner" if early March weather is even marginally nice.

For those of you suffering true "post holiday blues", I hope they aren't too bad, that you find some fun things that offer distraction, and/or you have something you can look forward to - maybe something fun coming up where you can do some reading/planning NOW, such as a trip or vacation or camping expedition, or maybe just something you can remind yourself is on the horizon.

24. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I’m getting it a little myself. I’ve had to tackle a few issues at work recently and there’s a couple of problems I need to fix when I get back. The other problem is the cold. I work outdoors and the wind and cold were particularly difficult this year. I can deal with it, but I’ve gotten comfortable on my couch with my central heating.

Pensivia likes this.
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    London slang for January is “Kipper Season”. It basically means trade is slow/times are hard. Kippers represent a cheap food that people used to eat more of back in the day when they had less money.

I don’t usually book any work during Kipper Season, and take the month off. I sometimes wish I could pull the kids out of school and go away for a couple of weeks, but schools have cracked down on that in the past 10 years.

Pensivia likes this.