main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Prequel Trilogy Interview Thread - Currently interviewing jaimestarr !)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, May 3, 2018.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    TPM

1) Begin the story with Anakin and Obi-Wan at the ages they are in AOTC, i.e. around 19 and 35 respectively. I think that would have allowed for a better arc overall through the trilogy. I don’t think seeing Anakin as a child or Obi-Wan as an apprentice was particularly relevant to the main thrust of the story.
    2) Long before TFA, I imagined in my head-canon that when Obi-Wan and Anakin meet, it was at the Lars Farm on Tattooine. Anakin lived there with his older sister Beru and her husband Owen Lars. Anakin was a skiff-driving, goggles-wearing scavenger (honestly) who came back one day to find Obi-Wan’s ship outside. Obi-Wan would have been there as part of some main plot quest or other and he needed Beru’s help, as she, Owen and Obi-Wan had been childhood friends.

AOTC
    1) The Clone War should have formed the backdrop to all three films, like an epic war story
    2) I would have liked a cliffhanger where at the end, Anakin’s fate was left unknown following a battle with Palpatine’s apprentice during Palpatine’s attempt to seduce him to the dark side. You wouldn’t know if he were dead or had gone with Palpatine etc (well the audience would, but the heroes would have assumed him killed) Padme would have had her children at this point also.

ROTS
    1) I would have liked a three year story gap, where Padme’s children were now old enough to vaguely remember her, Leia anyway. I imagined a story like those tragic WW2 stories where the protagonists have to flee from the Nazis. Padme and the twins are escaping the Empire’s final onslaught and they end up being split up in the chaos. Luke ends up crash-landed on Dagobah with Yoda, awaiting to be rescued, and Leia ends up in an escape pod with her dying mother, only to be ultimately picked up by Bail Organa’s ship.
    2) I would have liked Vader not to appear so helpless at the end during the suiting-up bit. I imagined a closing scene where the montage is showing the fates of Leia and Luke, but then scenes of a strong and defiant Vader pulling on his gauntlets, having his cape fitted to him, and him standing up, pulling his own helmet down onto his head himself. So he appears aggressive etc

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Are you looking forward to any of the upcoming or current shows related to Star Wars like Resistance, Mandalorian, unnamed prequel show to Rogue One or the Rumored Obi Wan show? @Bob Effette

devilinthedetails likes this.
  3. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Absolutely looking forward to them. More the live action stuff anyway. I’m more excited these days by TV because of the quality, and the money that is being spent on shows. It would have been unheard of at one time for such a franchise to be “relegated” to TV, same for the A-list movie stars. But TV seems to be where it’s at.

I watched “Battle of the ********” and “The Battle of Winterfell” on GoT and it was like a realisation that we were seeing the kind of stuff that was formerly reserved for blockbuster movies.

So yeah, the Mandalorian, Cassian Andor and Obi-Wan shows are exciting prospects. It’s a good time to be a fan don’t you think?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I totally agree. Star Wars on TV has always had a special place pace in my heart as I was exactly the right age for The Clone Wars.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What director if any would you want to see direct a Star Wars movie who has not yet done so? @Bob Effette

6. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    George Miller

As much as I love Star Wars, the movie of 2015 for me was Mad Max: Fury Road.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Announcement

I will be extending this interview for a week as I am heading back to college so I want to give myself some time.

In the meantime please keep asking @Bob Effette questions

Were you ever into any video games and if you were what were they?

8. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Are you kidding? lol I’ve been a gamer since the 80’s, starting out on ZX Spectrum and Commodore Vic 20 / C64. I’m a console gamer though mostly, having done the whole gamut of consoles, Nintendo, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, PlayStation, XBOX...

I’ve been a massive GTA fan for some time, and still play it at least once a week (rank 1064) but I’m just finishing off my second play through of Red Dead Redemption 2

I love The Elder Scrolls games too. Skyrim was awesome.

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    @Bob Effette

1) What do you think of GL saying Vader is a "pathetic" and do you agree with this interpretation?
    2) Favorite movie genre, book, author, music (sw or not) ?
    3) What did you think of Anakin/Padmé romance overall? If you didn't like it, what would you change?
    4) Did your opinion of the PT change over time? How?
    5) Favorite SW characters ?
    6) What's your ideal SW story?
    7) What's your opinion of the ST so far? If you don't like it, what would you change to make it better?

10. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    @Ancient Whills

1) What do you think of GL saying Vader is a "pathetic" and do you agree with this interpretation?
    I don't see Vader as pathetic. He becomes a sympathetic person towards the end of his life as he begins to reflect because of Luke. I see him as a classical tragic figure now with hindsight. As a kid though, I was scared to death of him, jeez.

2) Favorite movie genre, book, author, music (sw or not) ?
    Movies - sci-fi and fantasy. I love Star Wars obviously, Mad Max: Fury Road, Aliens, The Terminator, The Dark Crystal, Highlander etc
    Books - I read a lot of non-fiction mostly. I like military accounts and books about WWII. I also like true crime books. I recently read "Iceman", about the mob hitman Richard Kuklinski.
    Music - I have a wide and eclectic taste, I just like what I like, I don't care what genre it is. I'm currently going through a Queen period again.

3) What did you think of Anakin/Padmé romance overall? If you didn't like it, what would you change?
    I thought it was very poorly executed, with toe-curling dialogue. I would change it by having it a bit less "intense" and generally having Anakin be a bit more likeable and easy going. I thought that he was depicted (in AOTC and ROTS) as too odd from the off. It would have been more of a tragedy to have had him fall from a starting point of being a more fun, carefree, affable guy. The romance should have been like it generally is for young people, fun

4) Did your opinion of the PT change over time? How?
    Not really. I'm not overly keen on them tbh. I find them watchable, but I don't have much affection for them like I do for the OT and Rogue One. This is my personal opinion. I think that George Lucas is a fantastic ideas man, a real technical innovator and visionary, probably ahead of his time. He will go down in history as having created this epic franchise and pioneering the SFX technology to realise it...

...but I think that he is a terrible, terrible director, especially of people. I think that it is pretty well documented that his direction is pretty limited, and the performances of the characters in the prequels comes across as very plodding, stiff and awkward, as if they are simply reading lines back from an autocue. As above, the romance scenes especially are dire. His direction of the prequels vs ANH are worlds apart though.

5) Favorite SW characters ?
    Han Solo, Darth Vader, Admiral Raddus, Cassian Andor, K-2SO, Lando

6) What's your ideal SW story?
    I think we might get it in TROS. I was really excited for TLJ, because I saw a visual dictionary of the movie beforehand which described Luke's travelling clothes, his rain poncho, his walking stick, knapsack and, most intriguingly, his compass. With the knowledge from TFA that he had gone "looking for the first Jedi Temple" I figured that all this must point to some form of epic quest or galactic treasure hunt type affair. Alas, it wasn't to be. That's what I would love though.

7) What's your opinion of the ST so far? If you don't like it, what would you change to make it better?
    TFA was serviceable, if a little uninspired and unoriginal. I really didn't care for TLJ at all, especially Luke's story arc. I wish I saw what all these people see in this installment when they declare it the best since TESB. I'm actually excited for TROS though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    @Bob Effette do you think we will ever see an episode 10-12? Or do you think this will be it for the main saga?

12. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I think this could be it and any new movies become a new thing. They will be Star Wars: <Title> in style, no numbers.

I think that if Star Wars is to survive as a franchise, it needs to see if it can stand on its own without the "crutch" of OT nostalgia which a lot of current content seems to rely on. The Saga movies, Rogue One and Solo all seem to be heavily dependent on imagery, tropes and characters from the OT. The true test will be whether they can do something original under the Star Wars banner. I hope so.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Today is the last day to ask @Bob Effette questions so make sure to get them in.

What drew you the most towards liking the prequels? (Characters, politics etc

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    @Bob Effette I notice that the Chewbacca on your Avatar is the version portrayed in Solo: A Star Wars Story, judging by the sky in the background. Do you think Chewie, Han, Lando etc were done justice in that film?

15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    The story of Anakin Skywalker’s downfall first and foremost. As said, I don’t think that it was executed quite as well as it could have been in terms of acting and dialogue, but the OT gave us one of the most intriguing story angles in modern fiction, and that was to tease us with the idea that Darth Vader, the villain, had actually been one of the good guys gone bad.

16. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I only had two issues with Solo, the lighting in the picture and the (imo) out of place appearance of Darth Maul. I enjoyed the rest of it. Chewie, Han and Lando were all spot on I thought. Donald Glover’s casting especially was perfect.

I think that they missed a trick not including Jabba though, and it’s unlikely there will be a follow up which is a shame.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  17. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Thanks for all your questions. It's been fun answering them.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Thank you @Bob Effette for answering all our questions!

Will post new interview soon

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Next up is @devilinthedetails

1.) How did you find the Jedi Council Forums?

2.) Why did you pick that for your username?

3.) What is your favorite moment from Star Wars?

4.) Are you excited for the future of the franchise

5.) What is your favorite deleted scene from the prequels?

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Jedi Knight Fett Thanks for taking the time from your busy back-to-school schedule to post the interview. I'm looking forward answering everyone's questions and hope to get to them as quickly as possible:)

1) I think I found the site a long time ago by just entering "Star Wars forum" or some similar basic search phrase into Google. Then this was probably the first result that showed up. I did lurk around for awhile before deciding that I'd like to join in the conversations here with everybody. I tend to lurk around forums a bit, getting a feel for whether the culture is one that might work well for me (where I might fit in so to speak) before taking the plunge of joining. Makes the learning curve a little less steep or so I hope...

2) I have used this username on some other forums and fan fiction sites I belong to, so a big reason I chose it is for the consistency across sites. Plus then I didn't have to be creative more than once. Originally I chose it because I'm a fan of the New Jersey Devils in the NHL, so the devil part is something of a tribute to them, and I like the expression "the devil is in the details."

3) It's so hard to pick a favorite Star Wars moment, and it might vary from time to time that I'm asked, but this time I'll go with the moment where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are reconciling in the swamps of Naboo, and Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan that Obi-Wan is a much wiser man than he is and that he foresees Obi-Wan will become a great Jedi. Obi-Wan is my favorite Star Wars character so it meant a ton for me to see him affirmed in this way. It really made my heart go all warm the first time I saw this moment in theaters. I was eight-years-old so I might just have squeezed. It was that perfect to me.

4) Yes, I'm excited for the future of the franchise. I'm very excited for the promised Kenobi TV series (anything with Kenobi in the title will appeal to me) and the idea of Ewan reprising the role of Obi-Wan just makes me do cartwheels inside. I'm also eager to read some of the tie-in novels for TROS that have been announced. Particularly Force Collector and Rise to Resistance look amazing, and there are some of the new canon authors like Claudia Gray whose work I really love. Also the Padme YA novel and the Master and Apprentice one, both of which I loved, gave me hope for seeing more great content in new canon novels set during the Prequel era, and I loved the Dooku Jedi Lost audio drama. More projects like that would be incredible to listen to in my opinion.

5) My favorite deleted scene from the Prequels is the one where Anakin and Padme meet Padme's family. It really shows the beauty and tranquility of Naboo, fleshes out Padme and introduces us (along with Anakin to her family), and has that awkward charm of boyfriend meets the family. It reminds me of the time my older sister brought home the boyfriend who one day became her husband in that aspect of awkward charm. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @devilinthedetails
    What is your earliest memory of Star Wars?

What was the first Star Wars book you read?

22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Emperor Ferus, great questions.

My first Star Wars memory is being around five or so and watching ANH for the first time with my father. I loved Leia and Obi-Wan but Vader made me cover my eyes with fear sometimes. I was terrified of his Force Choke and heavy breathing especially.

I started reading Star Wars novels when I was eight during the publicity surrounding TPM. The first book I read was the junior novel of TPM, which I really enjoyed. That one got me hooked on the Jedi Apprentice series since it had an ad for the first book of that series in the back. I have moved onto adult books since but the TPM novel and Jedi Apprentice books still have special places in my heart.

23. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @devilinthedetails

Loved the Jedi Apprentice books also as well as the other ones by Watson.

I also notice that you’ve written quite a bit of fanfiction. What era is your favorite to explore?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Emperor Ferus, I also enjoyed Jude Watson’s Jedi Quest books that focused on Obi-Wan and Anakin. That series did a good job showing how the galaxy continued to darken between TPM and AOTC. I also just enjoyed how in both series we could see the Prequel Jedi just undertaking missions.

Yes, I do write quite a bit of Star Wars fan fiction (the fanfic community here has been great about giving me inspiration). I would say that my favorite era in which to write is the Prequels because I am intrigued by the politics of the time and of how the Prequel Jedi operated. It also gives me an excuse to write about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan and Anakin. Those are two of my favorite relationships in all of Star Wars so I love that fan fiction provides me the opportunity to explore them more.

25. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    In these contests, who would win and why?

1. 100m sprint - ROTJ era Leia or Rey?
    2. Arm wrestling - Han Solo or Boba Fett?
    3. Spelling contest - General Needa or Captain Piett?
    4. Hide and Seek - Ewok or Jawa?
    5. 25m freestyle swim - Luke or Anakin?
    6. Rock, Paper, Scissors - Lando or Finn?
    7. Cliff Diving - Poe or Wedge?
    8. Downhill skiing - Chewbacca or Tarfful?
    9. BMX half-pipe - ANH era General Dodonna or ANH era Ben Kenobi
    10. Conkers - Boss Nass or Jabba the Hutt?