main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico The PRJO WarGame (GAME 2 starts soon::new players needed)

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Jan_Solo, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan_Solo

Jan_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Welcome to the PRJO WarGame!

Are you a wargames fan? Do you enjoy playing games that mix strategy and tactics with sheer luck? If you answered "Yes" to at least one of these two questions, then this game is for you!

I have been giving this some thought for a while, came up with some rules and I need 4 people to play test them. The idea is very simple, but hopefully this will be fun. So if you are interested, reply to this post! The first 4 people to reply showing interest and choosing a side to play with will have a chance to give this game a try. I look forward to receiving lots of feedback on the game and later on expanding on it (bigger maps, more players, etc.). So let's see how it goes! Here are the rules of the game, as of April 24th, 2003. Please let me know ASAP of any questions you might have!

PRJO WarGame v1.0
    -----------------

Story: In the planet of Porto Reeko, in the continent of Lateen Amheryka, four nations have been peacefully coexisting in the past but are now at war. These nations are The Rebel Alliance, The Galactic Empire, The Trade Federation, and The Wookies, and each desires to destroy all opposition and take over the entire continent! Heck, who am I kidding... who needs a story? This is a WarGame!

Objective: Be the last group standing in the map!

Groups:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/rebelalliance/img/bts_sm.jpg]
    1. The Rebel Alliance (blue)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/theempire/img/eu_sm.jpg]
    2. The Galactic Empire (red)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/tradefederation/img/movie_sm.jpg]
    3. The Trade Federation (green)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/wookiee/img/eu_sm.jpg]
    4. The Wookies (purple)

Map:

__0__
    _123_
    _789_
    __0__

Key:

0 - home base for each of the 4 groups (one per group)
    1-9 - territories, initially unoccupied

Battle Actions:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/thejediorder/img/movie2_sm.jpg]
    Jedi - beats Troops, loses to Bounty Hunter

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/img/movie_sm.jpg]
    Troops - beats Bounty Hunter, loses to Jedi

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/jangofett/img/bts_sm.jpg]
    Bounty Hunter - beats Jedi, loses to Troops

Gameplay: Each group (taking turns) chooses an adjacent territory (1-9) to move into, if it's unoccupied the group takes it. If it's occupied by someone else, or if more than one group moves into it on the same turn, a fight breaks out. The attacker and defender each secretly chooses a method of attack (see Battle Actions above) and the battle is resolved in a paper-rock-scissors fashion. The winner keeps the territory. In the case of a tie (both groups choosing the same Battle Action), the defender keeps the territory. A group is removed from the board when his home base is captured by another group. The last group standing wins!

Mechanism: Moves will be posted as replies to this Thread, along with an optional RP (role-play) scene. You can only move when it is your turn. Attacks will be handled p

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
  3. Rillao_Kun

Rillao_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2002
    !!!!!????????? Explain please?

4. Lucidus

Lucidus Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Suena interesante, count me in. Pregunta: si atacas a alguien y pierdes, lo unico que pasa es que todo se queda igual y sigue el proximo?

5. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    I knew I could count on you for this one, Lucidus. :D That is correct, if you fail at attacking someone you don't lose anything, you just basically lose your turn and then play goes to the next player. What side do you want to play as?

Spike and Rillao: what is it you don't understand about the game? It's pretty easy, you just choose a number (1-9) to move to and then resolve a battle (como piedra, papel y tijeras) if someone had already moved there. Let me know so I can clear up any questions! [face_shocked]

Once I have four players (Lucidus and three more) we will start with the game. There will be no time limit for Moves and Attacks, the game will move along at the speed determined by the players. Oh, and I will help the four starting players throughout the first round by letting them know about the possible moves they may take, about the possible outcomes of those moves, and even possibly help them out with an optional RP (role-play) scene after each round. ;)

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Maybe make the map bigger?

7. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    I will definitely make the map bigger in future editions of the game. I just thought that it would make the play testing and tweaking process a bit easier for us if we started out with a small map.

Let me explain the map thing. Each game will have a different map. Here's an example of how the map of Game 1 could look like at the beginning of the game:

__0__
    _123_
    _789_
    __0__

At the beginning of Game 1 I will randomly assign each player a starting location (one of the 0's above). Let's suppose I assigned the top 0 to the Rebel Alliance player (see example above - note that the 0 has the color of the Rebel Alliance?). On the Rebel Alliance player's turn, he may choose to move into an adjacent square (diagonal moves are allowed). For example, in the Rebel Alliance player's first turn in the example above he/she could choose to move into the territories 1, 2 or 3 (one and only one of these). Since at the beginning all of those 3 territories would be unoccupied, the Rebel Alliance player's turn would be over afterwards. Let's assume the Rebel Alliance player chose to move into the 2 territory. The Rebel Alliance player has captured the territory, his turn is now over and the map would look like this:

__0__
    _123_
    _789_
    __0__

Let me know if this is still confusing. :confused:

8. Khal_DRhonn

Khal_DRhonn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2002
    Hey, you're a Java guru now. Why not code an applet, like in Yahoo! Games, so we can all play? :D
    [image=http://java.sun.com/images/v4_java_logo.gif]

9. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    The idea is to have a game inside the PRJO Forum, not outside. Please, let's treat this Thread with the seriousness that it deserves.

10. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    I call the Imps...

Rebel scum beware.

11. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Spike Spiegel has been declared Emperor of the Galactic Empire for Game 1! [face_shocked]

Still waiting for Lucidus to pick a side to play as, and for two more players to sign up! :D

12. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    You may all call me now God Emperor Spiegel. Thank you very much.

After we see how this goes, it would be cool to have a larger game with more factions and more people.

Couple of ideas. How about a map like this:

A1A2A3A4A5
    B1B2B3B4B5
    C1C2C3C4C5
    D1D2D3D4D5
    E1E2E3E4E5

Kinda like Battleship.

Now, we can play with established, randomly selected HQs like so:

A1 A2 H1 A4 A5
    B1 B2 B3 B4 B5
    H2 C2 C3 C4 H3
    D1 D2 D3 D4 D5
    E1 E2 H4 E4 E5

or maybe, each one selects in secret a square (or you assign it.)

13. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    We haven't even started and already I am getting some good feedback, I like that. :D

All good ideas. I have a couple of others in mind I don't want to reveal just yet (I'd like to at least give this simple version a test-run). But here is a preview of these ideas.

1. Maps
    I have many layouts for larger maps in mind, and other ideas by everyone are very welcome. The "Battleship-style" map is a good idea and could be represented like this for the sake of simplicity:

ABCDE
    FGHIJ
    KLMNO
    PQRST
    UVWXY

If we use a big map like that one we might want to consider randomly allocating more than one territory for each faction, or else the game could be extremely slow at the beginning with little to no action for at least 3 rounds or so...

2. More players
    There are many ways to involve more people in the game. Among the things I have in mind are creating more factions (for example, having 6 factions) or allowing more than one person per faction (for example, Spike, Lucidus and Ktulu could all be part of the Galactic Empire), and letting them alternate their faction's moves or maybe even agreeing (privately of course, unless someone wants to be a traitor ;) )on the moves before submitting them. Other ideas are also welcome.

3. Other themes
    We can also change the game to feature different themes, or "game worlds". For now we will be playing in what you can call the "Star Wars theme", featuring Star Wars factions, Jedis, Troops, and Bounty Hunters. We could also have a "Lord of the Rings theme", for example, that could feature Middle Earth factions, Archers, Warriors, and Magicians. Again, ideas are welcome.

So yeah, there are countless ways to improve/expand on this game, but I'd rather have us start a test-run of the basic game following the rules on the first post before we actually get a flurry of ideas going on. Also, I want someone else to "host" a few games in the future so I can play too! [face_laugh]

14. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    The problem with this style:

ABCDE
    FGHIJ
    KLMNO
    PQRST
    UVWXY

is that you are limiting yourself with 25 spaces.

With the battleship style, you can have any size map you want. I really don't think its that complicated.

15. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    That's why I want to give the simple game a test-run first. After playing through it we might find out there won't ever really be a need for a map larger than 25 squares. Or on the other hand, we might find out it'd be cool to have a map with 100 squares (in which case your idea of a number-and-letter coordinate system would work better, of course, unless we somehow find a way to use all 102 keyboard keys ;) ).

16. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Come on, its a heck of a lot cooler to say "B14" than "z."

Admit it!

17. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    ... Fine, you win. And R2! And D2! And C3PO! Err... never mind (can you tell I am desperate to get off work for the day?! [face_laugh] ).

Anyhoo, let's see if we get two more victims.... I mean, players... soon. :confused:

18. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Anybody else interested in joining up?

19. Lucidus

Lucidus Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Sign me up for the Trade Federation!

20. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    Guess I'm stuck with the Wookies...

21. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    OK, here are the player assignments so far:

1. Spike_Spiegel - Emperor of the Galactic Empire
    2. Lucidus - Viceroy of the Trade Federation
    3. Jedi_Boricua - Commander-in-Chief of the Rebel Alliance
    4. The Wookies - Open

Still waiting for one more player to join in! :D

22. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    I'll take the Rebellion.

23. TUMBARK_WOOKIE

TUMBARK_WOOKIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    *Standing tall amongst the ranks a tall wookiee arrives. Strong, lean and with eerie red eyes* "I SHALL LEAD THE GLORIOUS WOOKIEE ARMY AND WE SHALL CRUSH THE REST OF YOU PATHETIC BEINGS!" *HE slams a large axe on the floor* "Who's first?"

24. Darth_Valle

Darth_Valle Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    So, when do you start pummeling each other into submission?? :D

25. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Welcome to the game, O fearless leader of The Wookies! This has turned out to be quite an interesting array of factions and faction leaders, I might say. But without further ado, it's time to start the game!

Okay, here are the final player assignments for the PRJO WarGame, Game #1:

1. Spike Spiegel - Emperor of the Galactic Empire
    2. Lucidus - Viceroy of the Trade Federation
    3. Jedi Boricua - Commander-in-Chief of the Rebel Alliance
    4. Tumbark Wookie - Chieftain of The Wookies

And as you might have guessed, the numbers (#1 to #4) indicate the turn sequence of a round. That means a round will begin with Spike's move, followed by Lucidus, Jedi Boricua, and last but not least, Tumbark.

Notes to the players:
    Spike - your faction's color is RED. You have been assigned the leftmost zero as your Empire's HQ. You go first: see below for the Round 1, Turn 1 info.
    Lucidus - your faction's color is GREEN. You have been assigned the rightmost zero as your Trade Federation's HQ. After Spike's move, it will be your turn.
    Jedi Boricua - your faction's color is BLUE. You have been assigned the zero on the top of the map as your Rebel Alliance HQ. After Lucidus' turn, it will be time to make your move.
    Tumbark - your faction's color is PURPLE. You have been assigned the zero at the bottom of the map as your Wookie HQ. After the Rebels' turn is over it will be time for the Wookies to make their move.

Here is the current state of the map:
    PRJO WARGAME, GAME 1, ROUND 1, TURN 1: Active player: Spike Spiegel (Galactic Empire)

__0__
    _123_
    _789_
    __0__

Recommendations from the Imperial advisor: Your excellency Spike Spiegel, it is now time to move our Empire's forces around the continent. Our possible moves are to move our forces into the territories 1, 4 or 7. All three squares are currently unoccupied, so whichever one you choose to move to will be automatically added to the list of territories our glorious faction owns. Which of the three you choose will be up to you, Emperor. But be advised that moving into either 1 or 7 might bring us closer to an early conflic with a rival faction. Not that we fear any of them, of course, but I had to report this since it is my duty as your advisor. Please send a Holo Message to the commander-in-chief of our military forces to inform him of your decision. Glory to the Empire!

If you have any questions about the game or need help explaining something, please send me a private message as soon as possible. Also, feel free to RP (role-play) here as much as you like.

LET THE BLOODSHED BEGIN!
    [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.