main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Profanity in Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by QuiWanKenJin, May 30, 2018.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wasn't talking about the usage, but the pronunciation.

2. Lord Keaveney

Lord Keaveney Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2018
    The Wolverine doesn't strike me as a guy who wouldn't swear a lot. And he already dropped the F-Bomb in First Class. Charles saying it in Logan (and Days OF Future Past) is actually showing how far he's fallen from his usually more eloquent use of language. So it can and often does serve a narrative purpose.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    SW has had references rooted in Christianity right from the beginning. Remember Ben Kenobi's line to Luke about going on a "damn fool idealistic crusade?" Crusade is a thoroughly Christian word.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  4. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    This is fascinating. Who's to know how strong certain in-world expletives may be and I'd love to see how far they could push the envelope.......
    Han to Greedo.
    "Take that blaster out of my face you charf-gargling son of a Genosian slipsquit!" Pretty much no question as to what's being said but nere a 'cuss-word' in sight........

5. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017

The worst of all would be "echuta!" and what R2-D2 said to C-3PO when they were hiding in Mos Eisley.

CT1138 likes this.
  6. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    SW has several religious influences most predominantly Far Eastern, not Christian. By definition, a crusade is an organized military campaign that is driven by moral or religious beliefs rather than economic tensions. The Crusades refer to a specific series of Dark Age campaigns to take the Holy Land, but the word itself is not under Christian ownership.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The word has become broader than its origin, but crusade comes from cross. Its origin is entirely Christian. The first crusaders were called that because they "took up the cross" and marched to the holy lands.

8. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The word definitely doesn’t mean “a war that isn’t about economic tensions”. Many wars are not about economics and are not labeled as “crusades”. “Crusade” does not have an exact definition other than referring to medieval Catholic military expeditions. That’s where the word originated from.

However, it’s most often used colloquially for any effort (military or otherwise) that is deemed both epic in scale and idealistic in motivation. For example, environmental activists may be labeled as “eco-crusaders” or something similar.

It can also have a more negative connotation, deriding an effort than is seen as foolish and/or overzealous, IE, “This government’s crusade against drugs is getting us nowhere”.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that movie used profanity well- it was in right places and pretty balanced and they avoided the F-bomb, that would be a bit weird in Star Wars movie to hear that, It would make me just laugh though, but I understand some people would be angry. There has to be some curse words in Solo-movie because Han Solo in OT says things like "See you in hell!"- it would've been ridiculous overcautious to avoid it altogether. "Bantha crap" comment was a great one as well and Lando sayin "Shi...." that was fun. It was close enough to deliver the meaning, yet profanity was avoided.[face_laugh]

L3's comment about Han sitting in her place was natural to me and also made me laugh- especially the british pronunciation- dunno why but it sounds more powerful to me. But I think that suited well to her character as well.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't hear anyone using "the Force" as a curse word or in a saying like "By the Force" or "may the Force save us" That would've been well-suited for Han Solo -movie since he seemed to be familiar with the concept in ANH while he lacked belief it is a real thing.

What comes to "godspeed" it really didn't bother me in TLJ, since it was already well-established in the movies themselves and the rest of the canon that there are theistic religions in the galaxy, even if the Force is not called "god" and religions based on it are not really necessarily theistic or use the word or concept of gods in them. But in the films C-3PO was thought by ewoks to be the god, Jar Jar mentions Gungan gods and in Rebels Palpatine calls Forcewielders seen in The Clone Wars "Mortis gods". Those beings seemed to actually exists in some form as well so not only there are concept of god in the SW-universe there are actually multiple existing deities in canon.

As long as they won't mention Jesus, Buddha or Muhammad etc. I'm fine with gods, devils, angels, crusades, hells, heavens etc, in Star Wars language.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Godspeed isn't profane to me necessarily. I'm pointing out words that just sound more like they belong in Dunkirk than SW.

On a side note, I always noticed that in SW that the more primitive aliens have gods (ewoks, gunguns) still, but the more advanced have the Force.

It is all the same thing. Something exists regardless of what you call it. When we fight over who is right and which God is correct we get wars ie crusades. All the crusades ultimately failed by the way.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.