main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Prophecy of a Chosen One ... do you like it ? ( with a Poll )

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Saga Explorer, Aug 28, 2015.

?

Do you like the concept of the Chosen One and the Prophecy ?

1. Yes , I find it great .

59 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Yes , I just like it .

28 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. I could do without it , but it's here so I accept it .

37 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. I'm indifferent , but it would be better without it .

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. No , I don't like it .

26 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. I am wholeheartedly against it .

15 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    As a Star Wars fan , I like the concept of it and find the execution of it great .
    What's your opinion on it ?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It don't think it should have been done at all. It's presentation seems slipshod and disrespectful.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I like it. It enhances the world and makes an important point about destiny and our choice of accepting and following it or not.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's one of those things that I didn't see coming at all but fully embraced because it was just right.

5. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

yeah.

and it makes no sense lol.

I get what it was trying to do and can kind of respect that angle but 'chosen one' in general (not just star wars) is the worst storytelling cliche of all time.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I 'get' what was attempted as well but personally I don't like it and it failed.

carlcockatoo likes this.
  7. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I enjoyed it. It gave Anakin and Luke more significance than just "Force users", plus helped with the destiny theme...all while providing a mythical aspect. I love the fantastical parts of Star Wars, myself. It's one of the best parts. We have all these citizens (like the Imperials) who choose to not believe - yet Vader's destiny is stronger than any of them could imagine.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It was interesting but fell flat.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  9. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    It isn't necessary, and originally I was ambivalent towards it, but now, 16 years later, I really enjoy the fact that it acts as a grand-unifier for the saga.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

How is it disrespectful?

It's simple. Anakin was created to destroy the Sith and restore the balance to the Force, which is disrupted by the Sith's actions.

11. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It's alright. Overall I'd say it fits into the saga pretty well. And of course, if it wasn't put in, we wouldn't have that great Obi-Wan dialogue: "You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them!"

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Entirely against it.

The decision that Anakin made to overthrow Palpatine should have been a complete surprise all around. No one should have ever prophesied it. It should have just been something he chose to do, refuting the idea that "the Dark Side will forever consume you."

13. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    This. And I think bringing balance to the force was a cool concept.

14. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I didn't have a problem with it. The circumstances of Anakin's turn is my biggest gripe.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I like The Prophecy because of what it has added and can add to the films.

Pensivia likes this.
  16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I like it.

17. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Didn't like it. It made Anakin too special. Not that he wasn't special, but that he was more unique than any other Jedi ever?

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm kind of glad the Prophesy turned out to be wrong. Something the Jedi were waiting for. Qui Gon jumped at it with this obviously talented, but definitely not Chosen One material kid. And it all ended up rather disastrously.

19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm okay with a balance to the Force type prophesy. But that it centers around an individual "chosen one" really takes away from other characters who could have had similar potential. It makes everyone else seem completely flat and like they serve no other purpose but to facilitate events and circumstances through which the "chosen one" will then come to fulfill the prophesy. I would rather see more of a dynamic between characters and the possibility for any number of individuals to fulfill such a prophesy and there being no certainty as to who, what, when, or where it will take place.

20. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I really liked the idea, I was hoping there would be a better explanation of it. Where did it come from? Who was the first to prophecy the idea of the Chosen One? Was there a counter prophecy?

21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Totally agree.

Although if say the "chosen one" prophesy is edited out in say a reboot I will not complain. Like Matthaeus Sunrider I have many a ? about it also. Did the prophesy mention Midi-Chlorians? Was it 2 b a human male only? How old is it? Why did it matter after the Sith were "extinct"? Was the chosen 1 born of a virgin? That last 1 I find quite silly.

Like I chose in my poll "....but it's here to stay" well here 2 stay as long as Disney says so. So basically I don't love or hate it.

22. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

This is, actually, the only way it makes sense for me. That in dogmatically following scripture (the prophecy) they took their eye of their true connection to the Force..

23. ThisHurricane

Mar 9, 2015
    Did you watch rotj? Or did you stop at rots?The prophecy was right.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well Anakin was a big part of creating the thing he was finally part of defeating.... and, whatever the outcome between the Emperor, Darth and Luke, the Death Star still explodes, killing the Emperor anyway.

The Rebels defeated Sidious. Ordinary people. Not Jedi. Not The Chosen one.

25. ThisHurricane

Mar 9, 2015
    Sidious could have gotten off the DS just like Luke did.