main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread : New Challenge **Qui-Gon as a kid ** updated 5/8/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Qui-Gon - he just can't get a break or two or three... LOL.

Great job KD. I see that you may have more... bring them on. I also have a couple purcolating but I have guests right now so no writing.

Looking forward to more stories :D

2. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    KD very cute & original! I loved the reasoning you had in there...that, sure the healers can fix a break, but no so many! lol--and Xanatos being the straw that broke his nose the last time!! oh, that was too funny! ;) =D= can't wait to see what else you have!

3. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Knight_Dilettante: Tahl in high heels...and Initiate Xanatos!

>>>"I tink I broke my node, again. I tink you broke your node too."

Loved that :D

Dianethx: Thanks ;)Anger management? Well, now...that would be too light a punishment :D

Master_Noi: That he does :)

Layren: Thank you!

SarkaVrae: Glad you liked it :) The way I see it, Qui and Obi have been master and apprentice enough years for them to understand each other, and let go of past mistakes/incidents - I feel sure this is what they'd have been like, in Obi's early twenties - relaxed, open, and affectionate. There's always an undercurrent of love - not very obvious to outsiders - but very real.

Healer Leona : Thanks. Councilor Poof knew the right person to turn to, as far as favours are concerned :)

Kynstar: :) [Read somewhere that a 'snrk' from you was a great honour. :D]

PadawanKitara: I'm having great fun writing Obi/Qui :)

4. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    Um, wow, I have some major catching up to do, though I look forward to it! Faster, computer, faster! *whips it into action*

VaderLVR awww, lol, poor Qui-Gon. Particularly embarrassing for him as he is known to be anything but clumsy. ?Do I look all right, Padawan?? Lol, yes really, Obi-Wan! Very good, heehee.

SarkaVrae Lol, again, poor Qui-Gon! Dazed and quite put-out at being laid out by a 5 year old, Knight Jinn flat on his back, stared up at the children that peered down in horrific awe at his bloodied form. Awwww, haha. Poor little girl too. She's frightened now, but I hope she doesn't develop an ego later on from this incident. ;)

diane Haha, another good one. Curious Padawan plus evasive Master make for an interesting conversation. Is the end foreshadowing the next challenge? ;) Master Yoda cackling. [face_laugh] Nice one.

Layren That's a callous way to react to breaking your friend's nose! Bad Kyran, he should have more sympathy! Poor Qui-Gon, again.

Princess_Arulmozhi Tickle torture!! That was lovely, very lovely. Love the Master-Padawan interaction.

LukesTheMan Oh, that was a good one! Poor thing, so many times!! But such a Qui-Gon ending. Most enjoyable!

Sarka Eww, gross. ;) But so sweet of Qui-Gon to want to do that for her! Owie, broken nose and banged head! Poor guy! Nice job.

Princess What a great trick! And an awesome duel, if I may say. A stunning idea, and well-written. Great work!!

KD lol, nice one! Oh dear, three times in one day!! :eek: Poor thing, and Mace too! "I tink I broke my node, again. I tink you broke your node too." That amused me, imagining Qui-Gon say that in an odd, nasally voice.

Wow, that took a long time, but was so worth it! These were all so great! Hopefully I can get in on the fun soon now that I've had a bit of an idea, just gotta get it down! And happy new year all!

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Kyran was sympathetic :p Sort of LOL just the way Qui was acting made him laugh :D I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these come on guys let's see some more!

6. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I have one that's about half done and another one in the back of my mind... I figure we should give the challenge another while so that others (coming out of the holiday season) could have a chance. Besides, people can write more than one...LOL. [face_whistling]

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Laundry Day
    Author: dianethx
    Summary: Qui-Gon has some issues with laundry.

Whack. Thud. Whack.

Scowling, grumbling, and thoroughly annoyed, the young teenager paced back and forth in the cramped space. It wasn't fair that he be there. It really wasn't. Disgusted with the turn of events, he glared at the sight before him. Blast it all.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Padawan Learner to the great Master Dooku, was surrounded by huge laundry tanks, big ugly things full of dirty socks and stained tunics and lots of sloshing water. The durasteel vats were making loud thumping sounds for no reason that he could figure out. With all that mechanical clatter and working machinery, it was almost too noisy to think. The droids scurrying about didn?t help matters either.

Whack. Thud. Whack.

Besides, the humidity and odors of unwashed clothes and acrid soap was not pleasant. He looked down in disgust; his fingers were wrinkled and splattered with flakes of dried detergent. Trying to clean his hands on his dirty tunic, brushing at his sweat-soaked hair, he felt damp, grubby and unhappy.

It had not been a good day.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Whack.

Glaring at the injustice of it all, Qui-Gon kicked at the nearest tank and muttered, ?I shouldn?t be here.? When the washer did not kick back, he just leaned against it and folded his arms about his chest in protest. ?I should be at the Festival like everyone else."

But, instead, he was stuck in the bowels of the Temple, among the cleaning droids, doing laundry detail. Because his Master sent him down there. For punishment. Again.

Thud. Gurgle. Whack.

It just wasn't fair.

It wasn't his fault that he liked to grub in the dirt, that he felt more at ease there in the gardens among the Living Force plants than did his overbearing ogre of a Master. Who didn't understand him... at all. Unifying Force indeed. Bah.

He couldn't help it if his leggings got torn and dirty. That was the price you pay for digging in the soil and helping things grow. His Master should know that. He should. But, instead, Qui-Gon had been sent to help the droids with the laundry.

Thud. Thud. Gurgle. Whack.

And who heard of using soap and water to clean clothes? Only the poor people on faroff planets with no access to the modern comforts of civilization, that's who. He shook his head in irritation. Sonics were the only way to get clothing truly clean. Everybody knew that. But, instead of latest conveniences, the Temple uses the tried-and-true old-fashioned approach. 'If good enough for a thousand generations it is, then good enough it is for you'. Bah.

He glowered at the tanks and gave the one he had been leaning against a hearty kick.

Thud. Gurgle. Gurgle. Whack.

Qui-Gon frowned at the sound. That was odd. The tanks weren't supposed to gurgle but then they began to thump once more and he sunk back into annoyance.

If only he could finish the job quickly, he'd still be able to go to the Festival and have some well-deserved fun. Not stuck here. Alone. He butted his head against the tank and closed his eyes. If he could only meditate, maybe it would go faster.

Gurgle. Gurgle. Thud.

But how could he with all this racket? At least he tried to help things along. That extra large box of detergent in the tanks should speed things up. If only he could shake the bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. Maybe it was just hunger. If only...

Gurgle. Gurgle. Whack. Gurgle.

What was that annoying sound? As he stood up and began to turn around, his danger sense flared. Oh, the bad feeling got much, much worse.

Gurgle. Gurgle. Thud. Gurgle.

And then he saw it - oh, damn. A great white wall of suds fermenting out of the tank. Towering over him, about to fall. Oh, no. Could he stop it? Could he push it back into the tank with his bare hands? Oh, Force, could he drown in bubbles? He was about to find out.

With a great roaring hiss, the foamy wave tumbled over him, blotti

8. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] Oh Diane, it really is true... "We only hurt the ones we love." Poor Qui-Gon. I could feel every bit of that, you described it so perfectly. Of course, if Qui-Gon had been listening to the moment instead of sulking he'd have heard the sounds of the machines change (I knew that meant trouble :D) and would have had more warning. Not that it would probably have helped eh? Just longer to anticipate the chaos that was upon him.

KD

9. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    diane, that was great! can you drown in bubbles? lol!! *wipes tear* hahaha! that was so great! do more! do more! it's great to see this continueing! you may just inspire me to write another! :) i mean, if diane can write 3, then we all should, right? :D

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh diane that was so wonderful!! I needed that tonight so badly -- thanks so very much [face_laugh][face_laugh]

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Of all the things to drown in - he had to do it, with soap. Original, our Qui :D

That was great!

12. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    oh diane, that was most silly. I do love that he was doing laundry because he'd been gardening. And cackling Yoda appears! [face_laugh] How wonderful! Poor Qui-Gon, I hope the story doesn't leak out, that bubbles broke his nose.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Immensely entertaining that was Diane. Yep, that young man should not have been sulking so much. :D :D

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It's a good thing I put my tea down before I read this. Very funny

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    KD Thanks. Qui-Gon should learn from this experience that he should be listening to the moment, not sulking and also that danger can come from the silliest of things! :D

SarkaVrai Glad you enjoyed it. I have always wondered if you COULD drown in bubbles so I figured even a Jedi would worry about that. Besides, what could he do but try to get out of there??? Thanks. As for the third, it will be a serious one and it will take me a few days more....

Layren Thanks. Happy to help!

Princess Only Qui-Gon.... :D

Athena I'm sure the news will leak out if Yoda's cackling has anything to say about it. Can you imagine how embarrassed he'll be???? :D

Leona Paying attention to his surroundings, he should. LOL. Thanks.

Kitara Good thing you did or else there might have been tea spray! Thanks.

16. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Can you imagine how embarrassed he'll be????

Can't you just imagine all the teasing? He'll walk into class and every other padawan there will blow through their prepared bubble wand. He'll go to the training salle and the practice ball droids (like the one Luke worked with) will all have been painted to look like soap bubbles. He'll retreat to the library and run into a group of older Padawans blowing bubbles with their bubble gum. (Suddenly I have an image of the Archives from AotC filled with boys in letter sweaters and girls in poodle skirts. Maybe I need therapy.)

Not to mention all the comments about his delicate features (well they must be delicate, he broke his nose on a soap bubble) from others.

It'll all be meant as gentle teasing, of course.

KD

17. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Aha! I thought that this would be where you'd post it on the boards hehehehe loved the whole bubbles 'could he drown in them?' hehehehe!!! And then he broke his nose against the wall from sliding! *snrk* hehehehe that was juz great!! hehehehe great job diane!!

18. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    ok, I managed to gather this together. Rani is from my story Imperturbable Serenity, just if anyone wonders, and don't be surprised if this bit eventually ends up in my story or rather one of it's continuances. Anyway, here go.

Blocked

"Come on, Qui-Gon, show me what you got!"

"If you think you can handle it." Padawan Jinn kicked the ball at the goal, but it was diverted by the other team's captain, his friend Raniwasha.

"I didn't think so, Jinn." Rani dribbled the ball back down the field, passing it to his teammates as they neared the opposite net.

Whenever everyone was between missions, Qui-Gon and his friends would get together on the athletic field for a game of football. Though they were best friends, Qui-Gon and Raniwasha would captain separate teams. They felt it was better to work against one another, since they knew each other's weaknesses and it would force them to learn. Plus, it was more fun that way.

The ball bounced across the grass. "Score! Another point for my team," Rani cheered.

"Let's see you try that again!" Qui-Gon answered as the ball was kicked back into play.

Qui-Gon kept his position guarding Rani as the ball again moved toward his goal. Ready to block another shot, Qui-Gon stood near his defense as Tahl kicked the ball to Rani, who tried to kick it past Qui-Gon.

The shot did not go the way either of them planned.

Padawan Jinn suddenly found himself sitting on the field, clutching his face, wondering what had just happened. In short order, the others were crowding around him, also trying to see what happened.

"Qui-Gon!" Rani knelt beside him. "I'm so sorry! Are you all right?" Since the question was followed by an abrupt gasp, Qui-Gon assumed that he was not. "Oh Force, I think it's broken! All right, draw, game over!" Rani called to the others. "I'm sorry, Qui-Gon, I'll call the healers!"

"What? Is it dat bad?" As the throbbing in the middle of his face and the moisture in his hands registered, Qui-Gon realized his nose seemed to be broken. "No, no," he shook his head as Rani reached for his comm, which he realized was a bad thing to do, "my legs still work. I can walk."

"All right," Rani reluctantly let him stand.

"I'll go too, just to make sure he's all right," Tahl proffered, pushing through the crowd close to her friends.

Rani waved her off. "No, Tahl, this is my fault, I'll take him."

"I'm coming too," she insisted, green and gold eyes flashing.

"Hey! Are you two going to argue and let me bleed to death? It's all right, Tahl, I'll be fine. I appresiate de offer though. Come on, Rani," he nasally interjected. Qui-Gon started walking toward the building, leaving a glowering Tahl behind.

Inside, Rani walked beside Qui-Gon, glancing at his reddening features with concern. "Does it hurt much?"

"Well, considering the speed at which the ball hit my face, it's mostly numb, so no." Qui-Gon frowned and looked at Rani's worried face. "I thought we said no Force powers."

"What?! I didn't use any!"

"Mm hm, then how did the ball hit me so hard? There's no way you could have kicked it that hard."

Rani snorted. "That's what you think."

"No, it's what I feel," Qui-Gon said, and they both laughed lightly, which he realized was a bad idea.

Rani saw his grimace of pain. "Careful, little guy, you don't want to make it any worse." Since there was no one in this section of the corridor, Rani stepped closer and put his arm and wing around his friend.

Qui-Gon rested his head against Rani's shoulder as they walked, a feat that was none too easy since he had recently spurted in height above Rani, who had ceased growing over a year ago. Neither took mind as blood dripped on Rani's tunic and dark skin. "You really think it's broken?"

"Well, I'm no healer, but yeah, I do."

A frustrated gurgle that Rani guessed was a sigh escaped Qui-Gon's lips. "What am I going to tell my Master?"

"What do you mean? Tell him what happened."

"Yes, but he'll get mad!"

"Why would he? It was just an accident. You're overreacting."

"Maybe."

19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    KD I read your idea about the teasing to my kids and they were laughing really hard. If you don't make that into a story, let me know. I might just do that....

Kynstar Thanks. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I also loved the drowning in bubbles thing. I wonder if you can? Poor kid. He must be mortified!

Athena You slipped in there when I was posting this response! I liked that Qui's broken nose was done while they were playing. Plus the fact that he didn't see it coming! LOL. Good job.

20. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Diane by all means make the teasing into a story. What's in that post is as far as I got or am likely to. The only thing I might ever play with is that image of boys in letter sweaters and girls in poodle skirts in the Archives. And even that isn't something I am likely to do anything with unless the muse comes up with something awfully clever to support it.

KD

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwww athenaness that was so cute! Glad to still see more coming!

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    dianethx That was great! I must admit that laundry is the one household chore I don't mind. I find it relaxing. Which is a good thing since I do 3-5 loads a day! Poor Qui-Gon, attacked by soap bubbles!

AthenaLeigh Well now, that's what you get for rough-housing, as my grandmother would say! :D A great story.

Have loved reading them all!

23. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Just catching up, though I know I've missed a bunch of good ones. These were a lot of fun to read and had me smiling. :)

BrokenNoseofQuiGon 'Afterall even Yoda has learned to like that swamp stew' [face_laugh] Sneaky Qui! Really liked it ;)

ValedaKor Those vicious doors! :D That was a fun little vignette.

Noi Qui's big heart got him into big trouble, Great job!

VaderLVR I totally understand the little 'klutz' problem LOL! :D

SarkaVrae Oh, poor Qui defeated by a 5 yr old! *hehehe* Loved the last line, 'Pay attention, you should!'

Diane Poor, poor Qui! Great line about Yoda practicing 'cackling' for centuries [face_laugh] And that last line, POOR POOR QUI! ;)

Layren Another visit to the healers, Oh Poor Qui! :) He must remember to duck! Very 'nice' of Kyran to reassure him about how his nose will be much more admired [face_laugh]

Princess_Arulmozhi Oh their banter just had me smiling :D Great job, and loved the line about 'thanking his illustrious master for saving him.'

LukestheMan Master Yoda always said I have a nose for trouble Meditating into a broken nose, I love it!

SarkaVrae Tahl and Qui were so cute together and he did it so she could see the sunset [face_love] Liked the little kiss.

Princess A Great set up for that final confrontation and you and Qui totally took me by surprise with that 'alternate' nose! And he did it all to help another. Great job!

KD Oh poor Qui! He has the worst luck, loved the image of poor Tahl in the beginning.

Diane That last line: 'Good job.' [face_laugh]Oh poor Qui, he DID do quite a job! That was a lot of fun, and ALL those suds. Loved the discovery by Yoda and Dooku.

Athena That was a cute one, with little Qui having the accident playing with his friends.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Any more stories on Qui's poor nose? I'm working on one but it will be a while.

We might think about the next challenge - maybe starting Feb. 1. Romance anyone?

25. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Sounds really good to me Diane -- after all February is romance month after all :D Does that mean you're just going to copy/paste the romance you wrote for me ? ;) j/k j/k :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.