main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread : New Challenge **Qui-Gon as a kid ** updated 5/8/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Athena I would say it's Rani who showed Qui-Gon what he's got in this case. Lost the game and broken nose... poor youngling can't win (I was going to say cut a break, but since we all know he did. LOL)

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Layren Does that mean you're just going to copy/paste the romance you wrote for me ?

Can I???? :D

No, I wasn't planning on doing that but I assume we can use our OCs for romance... in which case Le'orath is showing up here - probably for their second date (hope it goes better than their first [face_whistling])

3. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    OK, this is positively the last time I'm breaking the poor man's nose...

And I will have to take a little break before tackling romance. I really should get a little ahead on Improbable so I can get back to that oft promised but never delivered schedule. Or any schedule for that matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Least of His Worries

~~~~~4 days previous~~~~~

"Merciful Force! What happened to him?"

Obi-Wan controlled the impulse to send the apprentice healer flying with a well-placed fist and turned instead to the boy's master, Healer Vimsel, who corrected the human herself with a swipe of a hand in the direction of the teen's seat.

The apprentice ducked his head and apologized quietly and then redeemed himself by beginning to gently check Qui-Gon's injuries.

"I can't tell how many bones he has broken." Obi-Wan said, his voice cracking as he did so. "But I know both bones in the left leg because I could see them." He swallowed hard. "And his left arm bends where it shouldn't as well." He drew in a deep breath before continuing. "But what worries me the most is he seems to have his his head very hard also." His eyes closed as he finished, "There is a dent on the back of his head."

As he had been speaking, Vimsel had been scanning Qui-Gon with both the Force and the tools available to any healer with an advanced medical center behind them. She listed for the recording device a series of injuries and probable secondary issues but Obi-Wan did not bother to follow it closely. He trusted Vimsel to save Qui-Gon, if he could be saved.

"What happened Obi-Wan?" she asked after sending the teen off to set up a surgical room.

"He stepped in front of the new Senator from Naboo, what's his name..." Obi-Wan

"Palpatine?" Vimsel asked as she rolled the gurney into the scanning chamber, Obi-Wan trailing along behind her.

"Yes," Obi-Wan waved the name away as unimportant. "Someone was trying to kill him, they attacked with a vibroshiv as we were leaving the Senate building. Master Qui-Gon stepped in front of the assassin and tried to stop him. I was busy hustling the Senator to safety. The blasted idiot wouldn't move!" Obi-Wan's voice cracked again on 'wouldn't'. "Not until I pushed him into the cloudcar. Qui-Gon was wrestling with the attacker, forcing him away from the senator." Obi-Wan's voice dropped to a whisper. "And me."

Vimsel had drawn Obi-Wan with her over to the controls of the detail scanning chamber. She touched his arm briefly before starting the scan.

As the machine checked the severity of Qui-Gon's internal injuries she prodded Obi-Wan to finish his tale. "How did he get hurt so badly? Qui-Gon would be more than a match for a single assassin."

"They got near the edge of the landing platform and somehow the assassin managed to knock him over the edge. If Qui-Gon hadn't managed to grab onto the edge for a moment," Obi-Wan's voice dropped to a near whisper, "I think he'd have died right then."

"Well, he did and he's not dying at all. Though he is going to be under bone knitters for a fairly long time. But, there's no brain damage from the head injury, which would be the worst issue. Let me just get him started and then you can tell me the rest." Vimsel's matter of fact tone did more to comfort Obi-Wan than anything had since he had seen his Master teetering on the edge of the platform.

She pulled the gurney out from under the scanner and moved Qui-Gon across the hall to the surgery that doubled as a bone knitter chamber. Several other healers joined her and Obi-Wan was shooed out to the waiting room while the Healers made the necessary surgical repairs and used the Force to ensure that bones were moved back to their proper locations so that the bone knitter could begin its work.

He paced, drinking cups of hot something for what seemed like several hours, but undoubtedly wasn't, until Healer Vimsel found him.

"Your Master will be fine, Obi-Wan. He will however still be feeling some discomfort when he comes out of the chamber tomorrow night. And

4. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    KD, I loved it!!!!!! Poor Qui-Gon, with all those broken bones, they couldn't fix his nose in time. Now he looks 'interesting' LOL. :D

Great job. Loved it, really!

5. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    >>>"I don't want to be interesting." Qui-Gon said, a trifle sulkily.>>>

Eh? But he already is.:)

Bumpy noses are all the rage - he may as well enjoy the attention :D

Great job!

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Blurgh. It seems I simply can't keep from breaking Qui's nose. In more bizarre ways than ever. My third offering:

Unorthodox Methods

"Once more, Anakin," urged Obi-Wan's voice.

Anakin Skywalker sighed, wondering at the famed Jedi stoicism, particularly when it came to accepting the brunt of a gruelling regimen - and if he would ever, some day, possess it. "I am trying, master..."

"You know what Master Yoda would say to that comment, don't you," came the wry response, and Anakin sighed again. Feeling a gentle prod of encouragement through their bond, he gathered wayward tendrils of the Force around him, trying to focus on the clay bowl in front of him. If he could only lift it more than an inch off the table...

"Perhaps a break is in order," came another voice to his left - a rich baritone. "It would serve us all better, I think."

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn unravelled himself gracefully from the meditation posture he had adopted for the past hour - as had they all - and stood up. "Taei, Obi-Wan?"

"I don't see why not," murmured Obi-Wan as he sat back, assuring himself that Anakin had not tipped the bowl over - not that that was likely to happen, at the moment. One never knew, though. "I would prefer the Corellian blend - have we stocked it?" Receiving an answer in the affirmative from the kitchen, he turned towards Anakin. "What about you, Ani?"

"No taei, thanks. I'd rather have muja juice." The ten-year-old stifled a yawn with difficulty - though there were still two hours until his bed-time. He looked at the door to his quarters with longing, wondering if he would be dismissed soon. He did not usually prefer retiring early - but today ...

It had been exhausting, even by Jedi standards. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had begun by teaching him the rudiments of the fifth kata, which, to the boy, seemed to involve an inordinate amount of leaping, flipping, graceful curves and perfect stances. The two masters had been unrelenting - Anakin would later discover that they had thought themselves lenient - and it had been a back-breaking session, to say the very least. After that had come meditation, which had been curiously refreshing - he had found it unexpectedly easy to focus, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had been pleased. Anakin had been inclined to think of it as a fortunate co-incidence, until Obi-Wan assured him that the fifth kata had something to do with it - as one progressed further , acquiring skills, meditation automatically became easier - or some such thing.

Three tutoring sessions later, Master Qui-Gon had decided that they would continue with their levitation lesson that evening - simple levitation, into which he had been initiated ten standard days ago. Anakin had been suitably excited - until he found that raising even a pin off the floor required a concentration he apparently had no energy left to gather.

Am I tired, or am I bored? He wondered briefly, before accepting, gratefully, the tall glass of juice handed to him. Surely he had slaved far more on Tatooine, and stayed up for longer hours?

He felt a questioning probe along the edges of his mind and looked up, to find Obi-Wan gazing quizzically at him.

"Tired, Ani?"

"A bit. But I'm not bored," he added quickly - and felt a twinge of embarassment as Obi-Wan broke into a chuckle. He had not intended to say that. But then, he knew that his masters - neither of them - would take offence at some of his quips. Well, not all the time. Perhaps others would - but he was singularly blessed, he thought, to have been taken into the tutelage of Jedi who not only acknowledged a sense of humour - but did not think it wrong to display it, either. Within grounds, of course.

Unorthodox, as he had heard whispered, on his sojourns around the Temple. True enough.

Everything about his training was unusual - he had known that, even in the early stages of his apprenticeship. Within weeks of his taking residence in the Temple, he had learnt about initiates desperate to find mast

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Princess I loved it. The warmth between the two Jedi and poor Ani trying so hard to get it right. The use of the prism to levitate straight into Qui-Gon's nose. Obi-Wan should at least be partially to blame for suggesting it!

Loved the ending with pillow and the crashes. It was just wonderful.

And don't cheer me. You are all just writing such great stuff. Three cheers to all the writers and readers! =D=

8. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    k-d that was great! That poor nose, it gets broken in so many ways.

princess Brilliant! Cool to see both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan training Anakin.

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Bubble Boy - Laundry Day Part 2
    Author: dianethx
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: Everyone at the Temple knows about Jinn's little run-in with the laundry. Could things get any worse?
    Notes: I have Knight_Dilettante to blame for this. Darn plot bunny. Thanks, KD.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, there's Bubble Boy."

The derisive laughter followed, rippling across the food hall, swelling as Padawans and older initiates joined in. The gangling victim of such ridicule blushed a deep red, even as he locked stares with his black-haired tormentor.

Padawan Jaccar Ne'te chuckled at the response. The reaction of the crowd was classic and he had handled the proclamation with just the right touch of sound and sarcasm. The kid's bright color was an added bonus. As he turned back to his fellow pranksters, he smiled, knowing he was safe. His target, the young Qui-Gon Jinn, did not believe in revenge; it was not the Jedi way. Besides, Bubble Boy was a favorite of Yoda's and Jinny wouldn't be caught dead doing anything to embarrass the Councilor - well not deliberately anyway. He snorted one last time, and then started talking about his upcoming mission, the kid forgotten. All in a day's fun.

However, as the snickers morphed slowly back to the normal hum of youthful conversation, the target of the joke, young thirteen-year old Jinn still hesitated in the doorway, radiating misery and profound embarrassment. Deep down, all he wanted to do was turn around, and run as far and as fast as he could. But instead, he berated himself sharply, taking the abusive ridicule as his due; after all, it was his own blasted fault that the name had stuck. In a way, he deserved everything they threw at him - because it was true. He was Bubble Boy, the stupid fool too clumsy to help with the laundry detail and not get hurt.

As he stood there, he watched the other children jostling each other, enjoying the companionship of friends, gesturing wildly with laughter and excitement. But he was alone. Outcast. And the evidence of his spectacularly-foolish experiment in washing clothes was right in front of his face, literally.

He fought the urge to touch his broken nose; it still ached, even after a week. The bruising had begun to edge from purple to yellows and greens but the nose would never be the same. Qui-Gon would wear that badge of idiocy until the day he died. Damn.

He hadn't meant to make a mess of everything. He hadn't meant to put too much detergent into the laundry tanks and have the bubbles overflow and his feet slip in the soapy water and break his nose. But, like it or not, that's what had happened and now he would have to put up with the remarks and the training droids painted like soap bubbles and the 'blub, blub' noises that everyone seemed to make around him.

Fighting the comments wouldn't work, ignoring them hadn't worked and he knew that he would just have to ride it out. Well, that was until some other poor unfortunate did something so spectacular that Jinn's embarrassing foray into the wonderful world of laundry detergent paled by comparison.

He grimaced. He knew that might take quite a while and, in the meantime, he was stuck.

Well, he was hungry and he was here - might as well eat. Dragging his feet, he made it over to the food line and, ignoring all the stares and the giggling whispers, he kept his head down and grabbed blindly at something from the server droid. When he realized his mistake, it was too late. Grimacing at the wobbling mound of green color and odd smell, he shrugged and made his way to a table in the far corner. Alone.

He was stirring the concoction, hoping to make it seem more appetizing when he realized that someone was calling his name and had been for quite some time.

"Qui-Gon, what are you doing in the corner? I've been looking for you everywhere." Tahl's exasperated voice softened when she saw his face. "Oh, that still seems bad. Does it hurt?"

She pointed one finger towards his swollen, misshapen blob of a nose but he just batted her hand away. "Tahl,

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    This is my third story on the subject but technically, this is only the first time I've broken his nose. I have one more but it may be a while... I do have to write some stuff for Betrayal before my readers lynch me...

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    dianethx: So Qui turned the tables, did he? He's always doing that, :)

>>He had a bubble pipe in his hand, and, spying Ne'te watching him, he blew an especially large sphere and wafted it in Jaccer's direction. The boy grinned madly at the older Padawan>>>

Isn't that just like him :D Great work.

Am waiting for your next. :)

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    This is my third story on the subject but technically, this is only the first time I've broken his nose. I have one more but it may be a while... I do have to write some stuff for Betrayal before my readers lynch me...

Yeah you wouldn't like for me to tell them that you're posting here and not in the story right? ;) :D :p [face_devil] THat was wonderful Diane. LOVED the way Qui turned the tables on his tormenters.

Princess_ A THat was wonderful! You truly are a wonderful asset to these boards and you've captured Qui-Gon and obi perfectly here :) Great job everyone! Keep them coming!

13. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    KD Lol, good one. Poor guy, that's a major ouchie. Good humor all the way through, right from the beginning. Maybe that taxi needs a sign: "Watch out for falling Jedi." Nice job. [face_laugh]

Princess_Arulmozhi Oh dear! How wonderful! And AU all the better!! How original. That was so good. Great work!

diane Nice. Poor Qui-Gon, I understand how he feels, but good old Tahl is there to help, and in what a creative way. Good follow-up. I'm glad bubbles came to be something happy for him again, heehee. ;)

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Princess Qui needed to turn the tables, poor boy. Otherwise he was going to mope for days. LOL. As for waiting for my next, it will be a while. I really do have to work on my other stuff.

Layren What you probably didn't know is that I also wrote an Obi challenge fic instead of writing the next post of Betrayal. Sorry. [face_blush] My excuse is .... that I have no excuse... the plot bunny did it!
    Thanks.

Athena Thanks. He and Tahl make a formidable team! Bubbles rule - at least for a little while.

15. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Layren: Thank you! Thank you! :)

Athenaleigh: Have always loved an AU in which no one died, and Obi and Qui both train Anakin. Would have worked well, I always think. :)

Diane: No problem. Take all the time you want. Just not...too long. :D

16. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    KD Poor, poor Qui but very brave of him :D

"It makes your face more interesting." Vimsel said as she walked around the bed to get to the door. To Obi-Wan she said, "You can take him home. If he's well enough to complain about his appearance, he's well enough to go home." [face_laugh]

Princess_A Loved the 'pillow' suggestion [face_laugh] Great job!

Diane Oh, I like how Qui turned tables on them [face_love] Like the follow up, and he did win in the end :D

17. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    *Ducks from all the tomatoes that WILL be thrown at her for this one* :p

The Longest Day

"Mesa want to drive!"

Qui-Gon shook his head for the final time at the exuberant Gungan. "We must not attract attention Jar-Jar. Something is not right on this world."

A serious look came over the Gungan's eyes bringing him into a sudden blessed silence. "But mesa help yous!"

"Silence!" Qui-Gon said, rubbing his throbbing head with his free hand as he brought the ship to a halt at the center of the dry Tatooine city.

"Plueeese," the Gungan repeated, "Mesa drive!" His webbed hands folded in prayer and he moved his lips pleading with sad eyes aimed at the exasperated Jedi.

Perhaps it would quiet him... Qui-Gon sighed. "Alright Jar-Jar, you may drive the hovercraft from here," he pointed two paces away, "to there. That's all, and I don't want to hear anymore about it."

"Oh boy! Mesa driving!" His boisterous words caused several passerbys to turn and stare at the unlikely pair. The gangly Gungan moved his body over the side as Qui-Gon slid over and he jumped enthusiastically into the driver's seat.

Jar-Jar pretended to steer a moment, suddenly appearing strangely puzzled by the contraption in front oh him.

"Thrusters," Qui-Gon pointed. "Gently, now."

"Ah! Yousa help mees!" Jar-Jar cranked down on the thruster, engaging it fully in the down position before Qui-Gon could stop him.

The speeder lurched forward as if possessed and headed straight for a concrete wall ahead of them.

"Brake!" Qui-Gon commanded, as he reached over to retake the controls. But he knew it was too late.

Jar-Jar had lost control and was now covering his eyes in pure terror.

The speeder came to a jolting stop, pummeling Jar-Jar over the front controls and just about landed head first into the metal hull when Qui-Gon grabbed him by his legs. Flipping around in pure terror, Jar-Jar inadvertantly pulled Qui-Gon out of the speeder as they tumbled out onto the ground. Qui-Gon managed to cushion Jar-Jar's fall as the Gungan landed in a heap on top of him.

Pain etched down Qui-Gon's entire face as he felt the familiar crunch of bone. It took him a moment to move before he heard a victorious shout above him...

"Mesa a driver now!"

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Jar-Jar becomes a driver - at the cost of Qui's nose???!!!

You're right.[hefts a basket of tomatoes]

On second thoughts....

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Nice work :D So, here you go...! [hands t_s a bouquet] :)

19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    tangled_sphere That was hilarious. I loved that JarJar was the cause of Qui-Gon's little nose break. Of course, it really was Qui's fault - he should have known better!!! Great job.

20. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    I've been reading all of the broken nose stories. Truly wonderful, everyone! You all deserve great kudos. I was laughing, feeling bad for Qui-Gon, feeling uplifted by sweet friendships--everything good about fiction was right here. Wonderful!

21. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    tangled_sphere

[face_laugh]

Qui-GOn really should have known better shouldn't he? :p

22. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    TS - [face_laugh] Good thing my coffee cup was empty a while ago. I must remember not to read this thread while eating or drinking. Very funny! Even better that Qui's nose survived the crash only to get broken once he was out of the speeder. I loved the "familiar crunch of bone" bit too. Poor guy.

I need to go through and do proper replies to all but I probably won't manage that before next week. I need to work today and tomorrow and also, I'm suddenly inspired about noses again... A manly shriek is heard and Qui-Gon sprints for a padded room into which he can barricade himself.

KD

23. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Oh, thank you so much for reading you guys! [face_love] Princess_A You got my heart thumping when I saw the 'hefts a bushel of tomatoes' [face_laugh] Thank you guys :D

24. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    I almost forgot ... A manly shriek is heard and Qui-Gon sprints for a padded room into which he can barricade himself. [face_laugh] You know, I think that might be the best place for him! [face_laugh]

25. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    All of these broken nose stories have cracked me up. I have had one going through my head for a while, here it is :

Too Much Cheek

I am looking at my apprentice, after his successful emergence form his latest adolescent stunt. The young man all but did a victory dance in my face as soon as he landed on his feet, rather than his rear or some other part of his anatomy.

If I have to hear him shout, "yes, I did it!" or, "did you see that?" one more time I am going to be very un-masterly. I am surprised he hasn't added, 'aren't I amazing?' to his banter.

I don't know why I am felling a wave of resentment rather that pride at my Padawan's triumph. Okay, I lie, I do know why. Part of me wants to cringe as I hear the words that come out of my mouth, "you act as if you are the only Jedi apprentice who has ever pulled that stunt off? There was - - another. Have I not warned you over and over again about the other who in the past who met with great tragedy even as he tasted victory?"

He is looking at me with all of his cockiness, grinning ear to ear.

"No Master, I know I am not the first to successfully attempt that 'stunt' as you call it. And I remember well all of your warnings. I will still continue to gloat. I have the right, as I have done it in a way the other who did this stunt did not."

He's going to rub this in, I know it.

"When I did the stunt, I didn't break my nose in the process like that said apprentice of OLD."

Did he have to emphasize old?

"His Master must have been terribly troubled by a apprentice with a broken nose. You will not have to suffer that. Aren't you lucky that your Padawan doesn't have a broken nose?"

I laugh; I can take his ribbing, but I have a parting shot of my own. "I do not know which is worse Obi-Wan, having a Padawan with a broken nose, or one with too much cheek."

That has shut him up for now.

The End

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.