main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions The Random Expanded Universe Questions Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Emotional Jedi, Apr 24, 2022.

1. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I open this thread, so that if any of you have any random questions about the Expanded Universe then you can ask them here, and see if anyone answers them.

I want to be the first to ask a question.

If I want to take into account only the Knights of the Old Republic comics and the first Knights of the Old Republic game, but at the same time I want to ignore Knights of the Old Republic II, the Revan novel and The Old Republic MMO, then the story could work anyway, or do I need to take KOTOR II and SWTOR to make it work? I mean, the KOTOR prequel comics are prequels, so they show what happened before the game, while the first game shows the epilogue and the conclusion of those events. So I don’t think we need to accept the sequels to make it work. Don’t we?

I ask this question because I'm a person who changes his mind very often. For now I take both KOTOR II and SWTOR (and the Revan novel too), but if one day I will decide that I'm satisfied with the ending of the first KOTOR and want to move directly to Darth Bane, then I want to make sure that it's a consistent choice and that it doesn't cause contradictions and inconsistencies. I'm a person who tries to avoid the saddest stories, because I already have the Prequel Trilogy and affiliated media to get depressed if I want. The end of the first KOTOR is a happy ending, but the second KOTOR is very depressing, and even though SWTOR isn't depressed in itself as a video game it gives to Revan's character a pretty sad ending. So, if one day I'll to decide that this whole depression is too much for me and that I want to jump from the first KOTOR to the Darth Bane Trilogy, then I want to make sure it’s a decision that doesn’t cause inconsistencies.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Kato Sai and Irredeemable Fanboy like this.
  2. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    In KOTOR I there's mentions from Canderous about "the Sith" being the ones that orchestated the Mandalorian wars, in Canderous' POV there is no difference between the Sith that convinced Mandalore to attack the Republic and the Sith that Revan rules over, yet they are spoken of as having their own empire prior to Revan's ascension, so the identity of these "Sith" remains a mystery, this got later expanded in KOTOR II as being the "True Sith" that Revan was preparing for, adding a layer to his time as a Dark Lord beyond just conquering the Galaxy, this in SWTOR is the Sith Empire that we know survived from the original one, so if you skip from KOTOR I you don't get that development.

However, there's an alternative interpretation that people used to have (if you check out some old threads here) about Canderous' words about the Sith, given that he spoke of them as now being back in Revan's Sith faction:
    They could have been remnants from Exar Kun's Sith Empire from Tales of the Jedi, that they manipulated the Mandalorians to get revenge from the defeat of their Dark Lord, and in turn Revan came in and gathered all the Darksiders and followers of the Sith that had remained in hiding all those decades.

So you could take that pre-KOTOR II interpretation as what actually happened, if you want to ignore KOTOR II and SWTOR.

On the other hand there's some allusions to Lucien having the possibility to have become Darth Sion, the Lord of Pain, but that he ultimately didin't follow that path, the very presence of that prophecy could point to Sion being a thing in the future, even if it wasn't Lucien, but you can just choose to ignore that and just say that Sion never happened.

The biggest problem is Plagueis directly referencing Vitiate, i don't know how you could work around that, but KOTOR I and it's comics are fairly consistent if you wish to ignore KOTOR II onwards in your headcanon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Kato Sai likes this.
  3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Another problem if you should decide to ignore Kotor II, Recan Novel, and TOR is Revan and Bastila’s descendants. Satale Shan is prominate character, and for her to exist, you need TOR and Revan Novel.

4. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Satele Shan isn't mentioned in any other material outside SWTOR. So, if I want to ignore KOTOR II and SWTOR there's no problem with that, because she's a prominent character in SWTOR exclusively, and the moment I decide to ignore the video game then automatically she ceases to exist too, or at least she continues to exist but in another context.

I can just ignore those reference in the Plagueis novel, like I ignore the TCW references in the Kenobi novel, or in the Plagueis novel itself. Anyway, for now I don't ignore KOTOR II, nor SWTOR.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually The Revan novel has Bastila and Revan married, which leads to Vaner Shan and eventually Satale Shan.

6. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Yes but if you count the Revan novel then you would be including SWTOR as well, because Revan is a SWTOR tie-in.

I assume that if you are not counting KOTOR II and SWTOR, it includes the tie-in material.

Actually now that i think about it, there are some slight connections to KOTOR II in Jedi: The Dark Side (comic series) there are mentions to the restoration project on Telos IV, which is from KOTOR II, but you could assume a restoration project happened on-screen, it's not a direct reference to it.

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    My point is erase the novel and it poses problems for TOR, because as you said, it ties in and sets things up, including Vitiate.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  8. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Of course, but @The Emotional Jedi is asking for making a headcanon that completely ignores SWTOR material, so there is no need to set up Vitiate in that headcanon.

The biggest problem for me is Plagueis name-dropping Vitiate.

Kato Sai likes this.
  9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think The Plagueis novel was decanonized.

10. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Oh yeah you're right.

Well part of it doesn't count anyway (Maul origin) regardless of what side of the retcon you side with (Dathomirian vs Iridonian), so you could discount that Vitiate mention no problem lol.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Kato Sai likes this.
  11. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Another question.

I’ve always liked the Clone Wars Multimedia Project, however, apart from Labyrinth of Evil I’ve never really been interested in any of the other novels set during the Clone Wars, and I always accepted them only for a matter of consistency. So my question is this: if I take into account the comics, the video games and Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars but I completely ignore the novels (except for Labyrinth of Evil), then the Multimedia Project could still work, or is it necessary to keep the novels to make it work? I ask this question because obviously I don’t remember all the references in the comics and the novels, so I prefer to ask those who know more than me.

In the "Your Personal Canon" thread I noticed that many people take into account the Multimedia Project comics but without taking into account the novels, so I suppose this could work. Am I wrong?

12. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    @The Emotional Jedi If anything removing the novels erases the contradiction between Tartakovsky's CW and Labyrinth of Evil, i haven't delved into the Clone Wars novels myself but i don't think they are particularly essential to the multimedia project, and it goes the other way around too, i think, the project was meant as something that could be enjoyed from any media perspective continuity-wise, meaning that if one were to just read the comics, for example, without the books, Video Games and TV show, you would still get it, watching and reading everything from the project enriched one's perception, but it wasn't exactly necessary to understand the Clone Wars.

My answer is that it still works, just that it looses part of it's depth, but then again i don't have much experience with the prose side of the Clone Wars so maybe i'm not the best to make a judgement.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    KOTOR 1 was intended to be a standalone game and works perfectly fine as one.

I wonder if any in-universe reason was ever given for why the synthetic lightsaber crystals created by the Sith are red. We know that not all synthetic crystals are red because Luke’s ROTJ lightsaber was created using a synthetic crystal.

14. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Anakin Skywalker's Force ghost disappeared at some point in Legends?

15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I would assume so, given what Obi-Wan's ghost said to Luke in Heir to the Empire.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think his last Legends manifestation was as the voice telling Jacen "Stand firm" at the climax of The Unifying Force.

PowBasilisk and PCCViking like this.
  17. KnightofRaxusPrime

KnightofRaxusPrime Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2022
    I have a question regarding the beginning of the Force centric Orders. Did the Dawn of the Jedi comics retcon previous stories about the beginning of the Jedi, or was it always considered as the definitive story for the EU?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  18. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    On the other hand, Anakin seemed to think he wouldn't be able to appear to Leia again after The Truce at Bakura, even though he visits Luke shortly after. Maybe it varies from person to person, or maybe he was saving face because Leia clearly didn't want to see him again.
    I've definitely heard complaints that it contradicted what had come before, but I don't know how much of that was about the birth of the Jedi specifically, versus general setting details. The Force Wars go back at least as far as The New Essential Chronology, though.

19. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Is it contradictory to the EU timeline if I want to include the Visionaries comic with the resurrected Darth Maul being killed by Owen in my head-canon, but without including TCW?

20. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Hey guys! I have a very picky question.

As I said elsewhere, I'm creating my personal Prequel fan edits, and I'd like my fan edits to contradict as few EU stuff as possible. However, until now I only managed to create my Attack of the Clones fan edit.

Now, the changes I’ve made to the movie aren’t very radical. However, there are three changes that could compromise the movie's consistency with the rest of the EU. These three changes are:

• The deletion of the Tusken massacre confession scene. So, Padmé never knew about the Tusken massacre.
    • The replacement of the "I don’t like sand" scene with the deleted scene where Anakin and Padmé dine with her parents. So, their kiss on Geonosis is their first kiss now (I already removed the mention of the kiss from the fireplace scene).
    • The removal of the duel between Yoda and Dooku. In my edit they just duel with the Force, but don't use lightsabers.

These are the most radical changes, everything else is very less radical and small.

I don't remember every detail from the EU Prequel comics and novels, but I'd like to be sure that this fan edit fits with the rest of the EU. So, do any of this two changes contradict something from the already established EU? Do any of these changes contradict something important in some comic or novel?

Note: TCW and related material are not involved here. I don't care about them anyway.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  21. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Anakin does confess the massacre to a fellow Jedi in the Republic comic, but it doesn't look like there's any mention of him telling Padmé. Padmé's not in much of the pre-TCW Clone Wars EU, which would help you in this particular case.

I'd be surprised if Yoda and Dooku's duel wasn't mentioned in the novel Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, but I'm not sure what specific details would be referenced there.

22. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Yeah, I remember their duel being mentioned in the novel. However I don't remember the details either. If it's a superficial mention, then it might not contradict my edit, because in my edit the duel still takes place. Sure, it's not a lightsaber duel, but it's still a duel. So...

23. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I have a question about the Expanded Universe lore surrounding Force ghosts.

If Sith ghosts can exist only in the form of trapped spirits who are attached to specific places and objects, how is it possible that we have Sith ghosts who do whatever they want in The Old Republic, without being necessarily attached to a specific place or object?

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The idea that Sith ghosts can only exist in the form of trapped spirits who are attached to specific places and objects is common amongst fans, but it's false. Freedon Nadd traveled throughout the galaxy as a ghost and Exar Kun's ghost was trapped in the Massassi temples by the Wall of Light, not by the process of becoming a ghost.