main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Random Scrapbook -- Idrelle's fan art -- New Drawings! Updated November 9

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I think I prefer the first two versions of the Obi-Wan collage. The striking blue diagonal of his lightsaber really helps to separate the layout into foreground and background. And that quote has always been one of my favorite lines, even if some people think it's a little ham-handed.

Well done on your covers; the second one in particular actually looks like the real book covers I've seen around.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    oldjedinurse: Thanks! I did have fun with the "spoof" magazines! ::grins::

FalconFan: Thanks! Yeah, I like #2 the best too -- the way the background is shaded because of the rain and the black and white pictures just kind of flow in with the rain. I'm really glad that one turned out well. :)

wicktone: I love that quote because Anakin does end up being the death of him. :( I'm still not entirely happy with my book cover, however, but I'm glad you think it looks like the real book covers. Thanks! :)

---

Okay, here's another update. It's a wallpaper. :)

Heritage

3. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Really nice montage in "Heritage" - well done!

oldj

4. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    You choose great subjects for your wallpapers; they seem to have a theme, instead of just having random images put together and meant to look pretty. I like the simple layout of this, and the single word that really encapsulates the SKywalker legacy.

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, very nice Idrelle!! I love the way Shmi is at the center, and all around her are those who share her "Heritage." A beautiful theme! Is there a way to get this a bit bigger (it comes up rather small on my screen, and I'd love to see it in more detail!)? It's a beautiful piece!

FF

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    oldjedinurse: Thanks!

wicktone: Thanks!

FalconFan: Thanks, and yeah, I can make it bigger. Here you go!

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/Heritage.jpg]

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    The above is the last wallpaper I did. I've been working very hard on my fan fiction lately, so my mind has been swept clean of ideas for wallpapers. If you want to request something from me to get me started again, please do. It can be something little or something big; it doesn't matter. It can be anything capable of being done by the type of artwork that I do. :)

8. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Wonderful artwork! I'm truly in awe of your skill. =D=

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    VadersMistress: Thanks, Meg! [:D]

---

Since my programme broke and my dad's getting rid of it, I've decided to start putting up some of my sketches. These take me in between 15 minutes and an hour to do. For the most part, I use charcoal. I like charcoal. You get nice smudging effects, but you have to be careful with it.

I only have grade nine art exprience, so I'm mostly self taught. The below sketch I just completed today. It is drawn for a scene from the book Traitor that I wrote a vig about. Ganner Rhysode is standing in the archway and is looking down at the Yuuzhan Vong.

"None Shall Pass" drawn for a scene from Only One Jedi

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/NoneShallPass.jpg]

I probably should have cropped the top a bit -- you can see the rings of my sketch book! :p

10. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    I'll have to give that vig a read if you could post a link that'd be great. Despite it's similarity to Tolkien's Gandalf stand, I really liked that scene (that whole book actually). It's nice to see someone doing some art of such a well written scene! :) Maybe you should try a more detailed pic of this...it'd be great to see some colour maybe? It's great to see some of your traditional media work! :D

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks! As much as I love... um... is what I've done before media art? -- I still love traditional art, especially drawing and painting. Although I can't, for the life of me, draw people. That's why Ganner is wearing such a big cloak, although I don't think his cloak would have been that big since Yuzhan'tar(sp?)/Coruscant was pretty warm and humid.

I've just started drawing again, so any pointers would be nice! And I haven't used charcoal much -- what would be the best way to colour it? Suggestions?

Since I'm going on a trip to my cottage tomorrow and then to music camp (about two weeks without Internet acces, oh my!), I'll try to make a more detailed version of this for you.

Oh, and Correlian_Rogue -- here's the link for my vig: Only One Jedi.

:)

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I really like "None Shall Pass" Idrelle! This is a great rendering of a great scene in the book.

I really like the way you've rendered the chasm and the narrow rock bridge in the foreground--very good sense of depth and "space" there. The vines and plants growing all over the Well of the Worldbrain are also wonderful, giving a very artistic and almost scrollwork effect. And Ganner, standing tall and immovable in the doorway...wonderful! I think the only thing that might "illuminate" the scene a little more would be an ignited lightsaber--but really, it's great just as it is! Very nice!

And as to using the ol' "traditional media" welcome to the "Graphite Club!" lol! You commented on not being able to draw people--it's like I've been told again and again and again by all the wonderful artists in this forum: practice-practice-practice! There are a ton of wonderful online reference sites that can help with that sort of skill-building, and then there's always the take-a-crack-at-it-and-get-critiques here in the forum (which has always been sooo helpful to me!). I really like this drawing, and we hope to see more "traditional" work from you soon!

FF

13. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Very intimidating-looking environment! and the figure in the cloak is kind of creepy-looking himself. I'm not familiar with the book; is he a good guy or a bad guy?

And I like that rather unsafe-looking bridge going across the chasm!

As far as colouring tips go, charcoal lays down great and looks beautiful 'as is', but it's difficult to lay colour on top of it. Coloured pencils can do the job if you don't make the black characoal too dark.

Another thing to try is building yourself a lightbox, and then making an ink copy of your charcoal image that you can colour with paint, ink wash, or markers. Making a lightbox is actually really simple and inexpensive... plus, it's kind of fun to build. Then you can keep your original charcoal drawing, plus make yourself a copy to colour (and you can allow yourself to draw only the lines you really want to keep on the copied version, which will allow for a 'cleaner' colouring job).

14. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I love all your work,it is amazing! I really liked the movie poster for 'This Tima Around'.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    FalconFan: Awww, thanks! :D [:D]

wicktone: Thanks! [:D] and the figure in the cloak is kind of creepy-looking himself. I'm not familiar with the book; is he a good guy or a bad guy? Oh no, Ganner's a good guy. He's just wearing a cloak and he's facing a horde of Yuuzhan Vong at the moment. And he's happy. Very happy.

Genimay: Thank you! I had fun doing that poster. :)

---

Okay, I'm actually not supposed to be online since I have to pack for camp but I couldn't resist. These are the drawings I did while I was at my cottage. And... Idrelle has started drawing people, oh my! :eek: :p

Mara Jade

Luke Skywalker

Tahiri Veila

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo, portraits! Cool!!

Mara is very nice Idrelle! Is this taken from a novel cover (it looks a lot like one of the paintings I've seen of her, and I think it's on a book cover...)? It's a terrific likeness to that painting, if that's what it's taken from--I really like the bold pencil strokes you use: they look very solid and sure, and lend a wonderful "weight" to the image. Your shading is very good here, too, with nice depth to them around her nose (to delineate the light) and in her hair. A very nice piece!

With Luke--again, good pencil strokes and shading. His head seems a bit shortened, above the eyebrows--here is a guide to dividing the human head and placing the facial features. I keep a copy of my favorite guides like this handy when I'm "inventing" a face or body (or--shudder--hands!). It's also great to keep this guide handy when studying a photograph of someone/something you want to draw--it can help to more accurately solidify in your mind how features are placed on a face/head. I really like the way you're highlighting--it gives good volume to your work!

Tahiri (who's getting to be one of my more favorite NJO Knights, btw!)--once more, nice work with the shading (you seem to have a very good grasp of that, and aren't shy about doing it, which is great!). Like Luke, her head looks a bit short above the eyebrows, but the rest of her face seems to be better proportioned. Watch for the space between the eye and the eyebrow--take a look in the mirror, and study your own eyes to help with this. The brows, particularly on women, are generally arched and are a bit higher over the eye. And I guess I never paid any attention to how Tahiri's scars were "arranged" on her face/forehead--are they vertical like this...? I'm going to have to chase back through the NJO novels and find that, I think (my own renditions are a bit too "artistic," I think! ;) )!

These are actually quite good, Idrelle, and it's great to see you drawing! Keep it up, and keep on posting! :D

FF

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks, FalconFan -- you always give such lovely critiques! And yes, the Mara one was drawn from a reference -- the cover of Survivor's Quest! :p :D

And now, a massive update.

I find that I like to draw when I'm mad -- especially when I can't write because I'm too mad in the first place (school and my piano lessons are really irritating me right now). Since I'm deprived of writing anything nice when I'm mad, I go to drawing and I think I've done some of my best drawings yet.

Mara Jade Skywalker

This is a drawing of an older Mara. I used a picture of one of my friends as a refernece, but added some lines that make her look older (since my friend is 15).

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/MaraJadeSkywalker.jpg]

Leia Organa Solo

This drawing used the cover of Darksaber as a reference, although Leia pretty much looks like she does in ESB.

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/LeiaOrgana.jpg]

Jaina Solo

This drawing is supposed to be of Jaina sometime after Anakin's death. Her eyes are closed in it, but I didn't quite get it right so it sort of looks like she has no eyes. And I wasn't quite sure what to do with her arms so they're sort of positioned behind her back. [face_plain]

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/JainaSolo-Sad.jpg]

Tahiri's Scars Study

The last four pictures are a study of different ways of drawing Tahiri's scars. I decided to draw them after something FalconFan said in her response to my other drawing of Tahiri. You'll notice that I sort of experimented with eyebrows and eye shapes too while doing it.

Scars1

Scars2

Scars3 (This one is interesting because I decided to add a triangular scar beneath one of her eyes)

Scars4

You can sort of see the inking of one of the sets of scars that I was going to do through the paper of a couple of them. Oops.

~Idrelle

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, you really do draw a lot when you're mad, don't you? ;) Maybe that's a good thing, though: a wonderful outlet for all that pent-up energy!

Your latest update is really showing a lot of progress with your portraiture, Idrelle! The one of Mara in particular: the perspective of her face, with the view from below and to the left, while a more challenging one to do, is very well done. The only critiques I think I can offer here might be to check the height of her ear (remember to follow the contour of the face around and down as we look at it from this angle), and the shape of the eyes. Eyeballs are a round mass, only part of which we see, cradled in the eyelids, upper and lower. The shape of them does change with different perspectives around the head (from above, below, extreme side-views, etc.), and also depending on whether the subject is looking at the viewer or not. Take a good look at photos of eyes from different angles, and note the difference in the apparent shape of the eye, as well as the shape of the iris (the colored part)--the iris only appears round when the subject is looking directly at the viewer (camera...)--otherwise, due to that roundness of the eyeball, it will always appear to be elipitical in shape. The shading here is beautiful--good contouring of the face, and trueness to the light source--I also really like her hair, sort of lifting on the apparent breeze!

The one of Leia is a very good likeness--you've captured the unique features of our favorite Princess very well! Very good perspective and general shape of the face--once again, watch the shape/size of the iris of the eye.

The "Dark Journey" Jaina is very moving: her downcast face, morose expression and posture all contribute to the feeling of pain we know she's experiencing at the loss of her brother. As to her looking like "she has no eyes," just soften the "shape-lines" above, and darken/lengthen the lashes along the bottom: her upper, longer lashes would be lying on her cheeks here, as her upper lids are down--that would take care of the impression that she's "eye-less!" Otherwise, it's a great portrait with a lot of emotion in it.

The "scar studies" were very interesting! I think I like the third one best--partly because it strikes me as very original, and something assymetric like that also seems to fit with the Yuuzhan Vong philosophy, somehow. I, too, have wrestled with how to depict Tahiri's scars (partly because I never committed to memory exactly how they were described in the books, lol!), and I think you have some great interpretations here!

You've really been busy, and are developing a lot of skill now! Keep it up (though I hope you don't always have to be "mad" to pick up your pencils to draw! ;) )!

FF

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks for the very lovely and detailed critique, Deb! [:D] It's very helpful!

I have two more drawings that I will be posting as soon as I can access my scanner -- I drew one of Alema and fixed the one of Jaina. I'm also working on a piece for the challenge. So there should be more up soon!

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I have three new pictures and one updated one to show:

Alema

I'm not too particularly fond of Alema Rar, but I decided to try drawing someone who wasn't human. However... I think her lekku turned out to look more like a Naboo headdress then lekku. :p

Alema

Anakin and Padmé

This one is sort of incomplete. I'm working on the clothes right now, but clothes are much harder to draw than they look.

I'm rather proud of myself for doing Padmé's hair, though. :p

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/AnakinPadme.jpg]

Jaina Solo -- Redone

I fixed up this drawing of Jaina from Dark Journey that I did last month.

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/Jainacrying1.jpg]

Tenel Ka

And here's a drawing that I'm quite happy with of Tenel Ka. I've kind of forgotten what Hapan clothes look like, so I used a sort of Trojan/ancient Greek design for her clothes.

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/TenelKa.jpg]

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    What a great update, Idrelle!! I can really see how hard you're working at your drawings--wonderful!

On your Alema Rar study--I actually like this a lot: you chose a particularly challenging pose for her and did a great job with it--a squatting figure like this has lots of foreshortening in the legs, and difficult angles in the feet as well (I love her little naked toes, btw!), and you seem to have managed it quite well. One thing that might make her look a little more "Twi'lek" might be the little conical forms that serve for their ears (take a look at pics of Aayla Secura to see what I'm referring to here)--other than that, I think she looks quite like a Twi'lek. The detailing in her costuming is lovely (I really admire those who can creatively outfit their characters!)--and like I've already said, I love her sandals and her toes!

The Anakin/Padme piece is just lovely! And yes--Padme's hair is beautiful! There's a wonderful feeling of movement and volume there, and it's just handled very, very well! The likeness is also very close--particularly in the eyes and the mouth--and the proportions of the face are correct. If you shaded this one in a bit more (and I know--it's terrifying to add something to a drawing you like as it is!) I think it would strengthen the likeness. Anakin's eyes are a touch too wide on his face here (and here is where turning the reference photo and your drawing upside down and comparing, or doing the comparison in the mirror will really help a lot), but the size and shape of the face are generally correct. Again--a bit more shading will bring out the shapes and planes of the face, and give more volume to your subject. I love to see that you're making sure to add the "catch-lights" to their eyes--it's one thing that will give a lot of life to any portrait! All in all, there's no question as to who these people are (at least not to me!)--well done!

Poor Jaya... This is still a moving picture--her sorrow is right there. Be careful with things like tears--it's easy to overdo with subtle things like that: a simple "streak" that follows the contour of the cheek can suffice for showing something like a tear--the emotion is actually in the way the features are drawn, and in how the body shows despair (dropped shoulders, lowered chin). I like how you've done some more shading around her eyes--you can see how this makes them recede into the face, and highlights the cheeks, giving more "volume" to the entire face. Keep working with shading!

And Tenel Ka has to be my total fav of these! It's a lovely, lovely portrait, Idrelle: the detailing in her clothing struck me first--it's just beautiful, and sort of reminds me of a wealthy Indian maharini, draped in fine gold and silk. Her face is beautiful too, very serene and regal--just as Tenel Ka in her position as Queen would most certainly look. You've done a great job here again. Just one suggestion (but I wouldn't change this drawing in the least--just keep in mind for future work): when you place features on a face, try to use a general guide like this to help keep the eyes, nose and mouth in alignment on the face/head--"roughing in" the features very lightly first is a great way to start--and when you're satisfied they're correctly placed, you can go on to shade and darken and define the features in the face. This is a beautiful study just as it is right now, though, and I think it's a wonderful interpretation of our Hapan queen!

I can really see progress in your drawing, Idrelle--especially in these latest pieces! Keep it up--you're really doing great! =D=

FF

22. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great update Idrelle! Simply beautiful work and such progression with your anatomy and faces! Its really great to see someone improving all the time and trying new subjects. Well done! :D I really like your choice of costume for Hapan finery, I imagined a lot of Trojan influences within my own mind for them and I'm so glad someone else felt that too! She looks really great, I like the hood/fabric over her head, really gives her a sense of royalty and underlines her transition from a carefree thing to someone weighed down by her duties. Lovely!

Your other images are wonderful too, great improvement on the sad Jaina image. Glad to see you go back and look at your past work. :) Really great work and hope to see more soon definitely!

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    FalconFan: Thanks for a very lovely critique, as always. I guess I'll have to work on tears now... :p Thanks again!

Corellian_Rogue: I really like your choice of costume for Hapan finery, I imagined a lot of Trojan influences within my own mind for them and I'm so glad someone else felt that too! She looks really great, I like the hood/fabric over her head, really gives her a sense of royalty and underlines her transition from a carefree thing to someone weighed down by her duties. Lovely! Thanks! :D When I was drawing her, I looked up a few photos of Troy to get into the whole Trojan dress feel... although I don't really like the movie too much.

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yay, I have new stuff for you to look at. :)

First is a drawing of Jaina Solo. I drew this a while ago and haven't yet tried using Deb's lovely tutorial for drawing hair yet. I haven't quite finished this drawing -- I wasn't sure about a pose for her lower body so I still have to finish that.

The second is of what should be Anakin Solo but that's just really kind of putting a name to this person. :p I was using the closest reference on hand, which happened to be the pictures in the pamplet for my soundtrack for Troy so I used Achilles for my reference. :p 8-}

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooo, new things! :D

I like the Jaina piece very much, Idrelle--she seems to have a very contemplative look on her face, as though she just got back from a mission, and is feeling the heaviness of command--the half-veiled eye, the pursed lips... A good capture of emotion. I want you to take a look here, though, as a side-by-side to your drawing, and compare the proportions of the chin/jawline and neck length. Take a look at the shape of her upper lip as compared to that same guide--usually, an upper lip will "slope" inward when seen in profile like this. You actually have a great representation of her hair already (and I always imagined that Jaina wore her hair like this when she was flying/fighting--it's practical, and keeps it "tidy!")--the only thing that might add to it at all would be some of the "highlights" as shown in the tutorial! A bit more aggressive shading would really make this piece pop, too--don't be afraid to "go dark!"

And on your "Anakin Solo" piece--very nice! I thought that face looked familiar, and I thought you might have used one of the duel-sequence photos of Anakin Skywalker from ROTS as a model--but now you mention "Troy," and I can definitely see Brad Pitt's likeness there! This one looks very nice proportionally--the level of the eyes, nose and mouth are very good. His eyes may be just a bit too close together (remember that there's the space of one eye between them), but the rest of his face looks very nice. You also handled the hair very well--if I recall this photo, the hair was really wild and messy, so you've done a great job showing the "windswept condition" of it!

Your work is really, really coming along Idrelle--keep on practicing and posting! It's so great to see the progress you're making!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.