main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Randomize Button: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    While I'm aware there is a a version of this in the YJCC, I don't see any reason why we can't have a thread like it here with soundtracks as the focus.

So what songs are you listening to? What comes up on the top of your music library (iTunes or otherwise) when you hit the "randomize" button? Pretty much any soundtracks or scores are on the table. Including ridiculously obscure ones.

I'll start...
    (Okay I admit this was the fourth song that came up since the other three wouldn't do for the intro post)

Song: Main Theme - Planet of the Apes
    Artist: Danny Elfman
    Film: Planet of the Apes (2001)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQjksu45wU

(yeah I know -- the lousy redux Planet of the Apes. But it had one kickass theme!)

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't know if video game soundtracks count but this is what came up for me

Song: Dry Well
    Artist: Richard Vaughan
    Soundtrack: Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms

Very haunting somewhat Arabic (possibly Turkish) music. It's the theme for Crusades campaign but the music and the inflections of the singer's voice make it definitely not Latin or Greek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvpmZZCpQ9M&feature=related

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    right now it's Emperor Arrives/ Death of Yoda/ Obi-Wan's Revelation/ Can This Track Name Be Any Longer/ Ends with that Fleet Reveal

I have my iTunes set to play all my stuff randomly, but nothing more often than once a month

My most listened to tracks are Beauty Killed the Beast II (JNH's King Kong) (I hate it when it doesn't play all 5 at once)
    and Cloverfield's Roar! (Giacchino)

Roar is on purpose, Beast makes no sense

4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    PG -- Count me a fan of the Arabian music.

TwiLek -- I've never listened to anything from (nor watched) Cloverfield, but if that's among your most listened tracks, now I'm intrigued. :p

Okay so randomizing today I came up with everyone's favorite SotE: Battle of Gall and The Illusionist: The Orange Tree (Philip Glass).

Battle of Gall is such a weird song. It barely even fits in SotE, and it definitely doesn't suit Gall, which IIRC was a pretty dull planet. But for some reason I really get addicted to the song whenever I start listening to it. It's got a certain catchy tune.

I've actually never seen the Illusionist, but someone got me the CD since they thought it was cool. Problem is I heard the movie sucks, and now that I've listened to the music for so long I don't want to see it and have it mar my impression of the soundtrack.

5. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Cloverfield has no score, going with the whole "you're watching some dude's camera footage" thing. Roar! only plays during the end credits and is pretty much an homage to old monster movie music.

Main reason why I think highly of it is that it kept me sane when there was some heavy construction in our house and the track is loud enough to drown that out (without just becoming noise) :p

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah. Cloverfield is awful; "Roar!" is wonderful, one of the best pieces Giacchino's ever written. I definitely recommend listening to it.

I rarely randomize, and even less so than usual now as I play Star Trek scores over and over, but I'll randomize tonight and see what comes up.

7. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    More Medieval 2 Total War

Song: Duke of Death
    Artist: Jeff van Dyck
    Soundtrack: Medieval 2 Total War

Probably my favorite track in the Total War series. It's usually a battle song, and I find that whenever it plays there's nearly always a huge reversal of fortune (If I'm losing, I'll strike back, if I'm winning the enemy will flank me) It has a variety of instruments, and it's just plain fun to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY81yYFzgiU

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Reason #276396 to like video game music: One can post youtube links to it and it doesn't go "derpy copyright derp"

... and I liked Cloverfield :(

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Saginaw, Michigan, by Johnny Cash. Can't seem to find a video for it, though.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Checked out the Cloverfield music. I approve. I should probably also check out the movie sometime as well... still managed to remain unspoiled after all these years. :p

Today the first one I came up with was "Baghdad" -- The 13th Warrior.

[The book was better.]

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Song: One Million Miles Away
    Artist: J. Ralph
    Commercials: Volkswagen "Big Day" and Chrysler "Style"

Full Song

Great song and good use in the commercials. It works for both of them, despite their very different themes. I enjoy J. Ralph's work all in all.

12. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    Song: Right in Two

Artist: Tool
    Genre: Slow art rock, excellent timbali/bamboo percussive sections.

Haven't looked on youtube! But if you get the album it's got 3d visuals that warp the mind!

13. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Sign in please by Autograph. Turn up the radio is one of the greatest songs ever made.
    great album

14. Exomnius

Exomnius Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2012
    Song: End Credits
    Artist: David Newman
    Album: Serenity OST
    :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "Anakin Is Free"

First time in awhile I've heard Qui-Gon's Theme. Nice.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Reviving this thread due to boredom.

Randomizer gave me Lawrence of Arabia today. It's gonna be one of those days. One of those Maurice Jarre in the desert days.

EDIT: the 2:30 onward part is the best. Love that theme.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Serenity! [face_love]

Song today: Saving New York
    Artist: James Horner
    Album: The Amazing Spider-Man

@ 4:00 onward, Horner proves he is still da man. Even if he reuses Titanic and Beautiful Mind memes to death.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Random as it gets, but my missus has become addicted to GTA V, so we couldn't resist tracking down this gem:

The video clip is like Thriller without zombies, or, well, anything

19. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Song: Crematorium Chaos
    Artist: Matt Clifford/Francis Haines
    Album: The Return of the Living Dead (Bootleg Score)

20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The best remix ever of Duel of the Fates.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I listen to video game OST lol

22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Mantis, from the game FTL - soundtrack by Ben Prunty (I can't get enough of the music in this game...):

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Song: Final Battle
    Artist: Alan Silvestri
    Film: Ok, this is technically Van Helsing. But way back during Star Wars Celebration 3 there was a 10 minute non-dialogue preview. They had something similar at Celebration 1 and 2. This is the music that played over it. Rick McCallum(who hosted it) said it was just a piece of music they had thrown together a few days prior to the Celebration. The completed version for Van Hlesing is a tad different. the Celebration version was simply the first 1:30 of this played over and over.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Song: Now we are free
    Artist: Lisa Gerrard
    Film: Gladiator

25. katesaber

katesaber Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2013
    Breathe - Two Steps from Hell
    Basically their entire Skyworld, Archangel, and Invincible albums. My showers have never been more epic. :cool: