main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The 'real' Luke Skywalker - a true story

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lt. Hija, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Yesterday night I watched the biopic documentary The Man Who Saved the World and learned about a man to whose existence I had been oblivious before - and couldn't help but instantly see parallels to the character of Luke Skywalker:
    • Rather than to rely on the aid of computers he trusted his feelings and intuition (like Luke in ANH and ESB)
    • He decided not to fight (back) and thus saved the world (like Luke in ROJ)
    Curiously that man had never seen A New Hope and Return of the Jedi just released a few months earlier in the US, but in 1983 the action (or rather inaction) of this individual did save our world as we know it it from nuclear annihilation by reporting a "false alarm" to his superiors, although he factually couldn't be sure. In his own modest words "I was simply doing my job, and I was the right person at the right time, that's all."

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

IMHO it's one of the most important human stories that ever happened (and no doubt the reason I'm still around to be able to write about it) and from a Star Wars point of view it just illustrates how spot-on George Lucas had been with his hero portrayal and actions of Luke Skywalker - because just a few months after the premiere of ROJ "fact" would follow "fantasy", unbeknownst to Lucas and almost everybody else until the 1990's.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    teamhansolo, BigAl6ft6, MS1 and 5 others like this.