main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Realm of Fae'Run: Forgotten Realms discussion (Books, games etc)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Amon_Amarth, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    One of the most amazing works of fantasy genre are Forgotten Realms books from magnificent world of Faerun. Post your thoughts here.

Just jazzing the title up a bit

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I enjoy the FR setting most in the D&D world, mainly by virtue of being a D&D gamer that uses the FR setting, but also of course because of Baldurs Gate and the Drizzt books by RA Salvatore.

Has anyone read the Hunters Blade Trilogy? If so, what did you think? Was giving Drizzt an emotional story arc a good decision on Salvatore's part?

E_S

3. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Salvatore wrote excellent FR books.
    Unfortunately, all local bookshops have only the first book of the trilogy, so I haven't read the rest. But it is very good.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have an odd relationship with D&D. The only time I have ever played the game was through a solo adventure called Midnight on Dagger Alley. However, I have the Basic Boxed set, I had the first AD&D game books(they were stolen), I have the AD&D second edition and the 3.0 D20 books. I love reading through the source books, it's just my little way of exploring the Forgotten Realms.

I have a read a number of Harper books and 'Realms Of' books.

Here would be my question to push the imagination. If you as you are right now could be placed on Faerun, where would you start and where would you go? What would you become?

I myself would shoot for the Halruua and hopefully become very well trained as a wizard. After I felt pwerful enough I'd grab up a group and head west for Chult, across the sea and into Calimsham, then north to the Western Heartlands. Waterdeep and the High Forest would be exploration targets of choice, but my eventual goal would be to set up an enclave much like the Red Wizards do, but in the town of Beregost just outside of Candlekeep. I'd live it up off the sale of magic items, and go exploring at my whim.

This is my current desktop background:

[image=http://ultimosdiasdegloria.bluehosting.com.br/downloads/arquivos/AznarThrul800.jpg]

I could do without the head tatoos myself.

5. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I read the Forgotten Realms books with a passion throughout my twenties, and have a large number of them in my personal book collection. Salvatore's series were excellent, though I admit to having lost track of the more recent books, due mostly to our normal book stores not stocking them on the shelves, and the "U.S." import stores I used to get most of them from now concentrating on computer games rather than D&D, Books and Comics.

However, Drizzt is still one of my favourite characters from a lot of fiction. A character raised in an evil society, with nothing to indicate good, and yet he was able to grow with good deep inside of him.

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    *nods sagely*

'Tis true. To this day the Harpers series remains one of my favorites.

:(

7. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Here would be my question to push the imagination. If you as you are right now could be placed on Faerun, where would you start and where would you go? What would you become?

I'd start as a wizard student. Eventualy, my goal would be to visit the beauties of Waterdeep and wonders and perils of Calimshan. Those are the most interesting places to me.

8. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

I know Fae'Run only through D&D. It's my group's usual setting for campaigns. I've never read the books, but my local library has a large stock of them, so I shall give them a go sometime.

As to where I'd go, my curiosity would lead my to Myth Drannor (sp?) and I'd probably die there very quickly. Class-wise, I think I'd be a druid because I enjoy that class, though samurai is also tempting.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    My knowledge of the Realms is limited to the PC games set there (BG series, NWN, IWD), and Wikipedia, but I find it fascinating. I would like to be a Paladin of Mystra/Sorceror, I think. Or a monk. BAM, Quivering Palm to my enemies [face_devil]

I too would like to visit Waterdeep. Also Lantan.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I used to love Rangers in the 2.0 AD&D rules, but 3.0 made them crappy. You could just play a fighter-druid for better effects in the same theme; but now they've given them some worthy attributes.

If you like the setting you must start with the Icewind Dale trilogy, which you'll find in various forms as a collection.

E_S

11. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I mostly played D&D v2.0. I've tried v3.5 and I really liked it, but I've played it only once. My favourite class is a Wizard, though a Bard wouldn't be so bad too.

Yeah, it is one of my favourites.
    BTW, what do you all think of Salvatore's FR books?

12. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Drizzt is cool :cool:

Salvatore's books are some of the best there is. He's managed to create at least a dozen very sympathetic and intriguing characters. Danica and Cattie Brie are two awesome and strong female characters and a couple of my favorites.

I would love to see him write an all Cattie Brie novel (none of the other companions) or a Danica novel before the Cleric quintet.

13. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Danica is cool.
    Yeah, savlatore's books FR books are one of the bests. Dark Elf Trilogy is also a truly brilliant work.

14. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I love D&D, I love Fae'run, I love FR! Truly amazing books. I agree that Elminster is the best chaarcter, though my favourite FR books are Harpers.

15. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Hi, Noldor! :)
    I didn't know you are a FR fan too.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Lists:

Your Top Five Favorite monsters:

1. Red Dragons
    2. Minotaur
    3. Mind Flayers
    4. Tarrasque
    5. Nymph

Your Top Five favorite Locations:

1. Candlekeep
    2. Waterdeep
    3. Thay
    4. Unicorn Run/High Forest
    5. Chult

I'm also wondering if anyone has read the Year Of Rogue Dragon series and what you think of it.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I really enjoy Salvatore's books (including his SW books, and the churlish fan reaction to Vector Prime is shameful), and even his villains - Artemis Entreri, especially - are kickass.

I'm partial to Corymr, since my current Paladin is from Corymr. We actually destroyed a gnoll infestation of a keep there and now run it as a small outpost, where travelling adventurers (Good alignment only, Torm tolerates no naughtiness!;)) can rest and get healing.

I love FR! :D

E_S

18. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm also wondering if anyone has read the Year Of Rogue Dragon series and what you think of it.

It has not yet arrived to local bookshops. :mad:
    But I've heard that it is an excellent serial. Who is the author?

19. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Oy! I have so many books on my "To Read List" it's not even funny. I have the Rogue Dragon books but still haven't gotten around to reading them yet :(

20. Svebor

Svebor Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2005
    Awesome topic! I love D&D, I play v.3,5 and I am especially fond to realm of Faerun. My favourite country to start an adventure would probably be Amn, but my goal for knowing Faerun and its secrets would be Myth Drannor. :) I usualy play as a wizard, so those kind makes my favourite characters in thease books. Someone mentioned Elminster Saga. Brilliant work indeed.
    my favourite FR story is Dark Elf Trilogy.

21. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    For more on Myth Drannor you need to check out Forgotten House and Farthest Reach. I just love those evil Dlardrageths. :)

22. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005

Hmm... I can't remember any FR books that I've read that mentiones some big adventure in Amn... Can anyone reccomend me some?

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I myself no very little about Amn besides its location.

Other than Halruua I wouldn't mind starting in Silverymoon. The wizards college there will train one to mid level, you can get a job as a Spellguard to take care of the city's wards to help pay for that training, and that whole area is very dangerous, lots of experience to be gained there. Not to mention, there is alot of nether magic and knowledge to be found in that part of the world. Of course, getting it could pose a problem...

24. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    The Year of Rogue Dragons is by Richard Lee Byers, who also did Dissolution, the first of the War of the Spider Queen series. I like it a lot; Byers is a good action writer, and does a good take on the whole band-of-heroes thing, I think. Some might consider the main protag yet another strong silent troubled type, but that's a cliche I'm personally fond of.

Anyone else read Promise of the Witch King yet?

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Amn is on the Sword Coast, and houses Athkatla - setting of Baldur's Gate II.

How is promise of the Witch King? I'm reading Dark Nest 3 and A Feast For Crows - and I'm wondering why we have a poor FR writer (Denning) instead of a good FR writer (Salvatore) doing Star Wars. :(

(And hence the signature)

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.