main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Realm of Fae'Run: Forgotten Realms discussion (Books, games etc)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Amon_Amarth, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Wow, they are amazing! :D

3. Darth-Spider-Queen

Darth-Spider-Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    Indeed. :)

Drizzt, which are your favourite Salvatore's works?

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Look like the Realms are in for a major re-vamp over the next year. Maybe they will make them fun again.

5. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I want to start reading the books and i was wondering which one would be good to start with. Also if you have an order of all the books that would be great.:)

6. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    That's hard to answer, the setting is so huge and been around for quite a while. There's a whole bunch of different series that are often unrelated to each other.

I'd say RA Salvadore's Icewind Dale Trilogy, starting with The Crystal Shard. He's a good author, his characters have become fantasy staples, and its one of the first FR novels written so you don't need to know anything about the setting.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd say start with the Dark Elf Trilogy. Then move on to the Icewind Dale trilogy. And then the Legacy of the Drow. Awesome novels :D

8. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    While a certain Australian mod will ban me to Pluto for saying this:p , I would start with the Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn are all equally fantastic.

9. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Ok so for sure the Dark Elf Trilogy should go first. I saw a big old book of that at B&N so i will probably go there when i have the money. Thanks guys.:)

10. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Grand History of the Realms came out.

Also heard Ed Greenwood is going to be heavily involved with the "reboot" next year, which is good because he invented the place.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    What are they doing to "reboot" this world?

I still never finshed book 3 of Icewinddale.

Those damn spiders still irrate me to think about. (refere to pg 6 in this thread)

12. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Nobody knows exactly. A Dungeons & Dragons edition is coming out next year, and the game and FR are intimately tied. In the new game magic will work differently, so that has to be addressed canonically in the world's story.

Something about a "Spellplague" and the timeline is jumping ahead. The number of gods will probably be cut down drastically, and some of the ridiculously overpowered characters will be given the axe or changed.

I guess I didn't mean "reboot." All of the previous novels will still be cannon. It's more like the status quo is changing.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    So then some of the story is going to about the future of Fae'Run? That kinda sounds cool. Cut back on the Spiders!!

14. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Not the future, novels will be set 10 years (100 years?) later from present novels and go from there.

15. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Oh my friend is letting me read his Dark Elf Trilogy. It's really good, im enoying it alot. I still have a ways to go, Drizzt is entering the Academy. Oh the fun there is to come.:p

16. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    Just wait until the graduation ceremony.[face_devil]

17. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I finished the first book. I loved it. I like the panther. Masoj and Alton were idiots. Drizzt is to smart and powerful for them. Poor Zak, but im sure he is smiling down on Drizzt and spitting on the Spider Queen and the rest of the Drow Elves. I cant wait to see what happens next. I havent started on Exile yet but will try and get on that soon.:)

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    That's brilliant. :p

19. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah, the Grand History of the REalms gave us a peek at what's next for 4th Edition D&D. Personally, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

20. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I think it might be a good change, at least getting rid of all the uber-powered guys. They bug me.

21. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    See, it doesn't bug me as much. It gives the feeling that the Realms has existed for a long time, and a lot of adventuring's been done, power has been gained, lost ad changed hands in all sorts of ways. The complication appeals to me. Besides that, the whole 'points of light' motif they want for 4th Edition to aim for is also a turn off. I liked the Realms being a semi-wild, but semi-civilized place, where Good was strong, but had to be ever watchful. Now it seems too much like the other settings. THe Realms has lost its uniqueness, which was a huge draw to me.

Ah well.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm not really sure if I like the 4th edition from peeks and bits I've managed to glimpse so far.
    I think this similar thing best explains why:
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Amarth775/n5824622_31940830_46.jpg]
    :p

I feel comfortable with the 'old' (though not really that old) system.

However, the history book looks really interesting. I didn't see here in Forbidden Planet London, nor in the other D&D shop I visit quite often,, but I'll get it sooner or later.

23. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Anybody read the Orc King yet?

24. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    I saw it at Barnes and Noble yesterday, but I had already spent over $60 on dvds for my cousins, so I didn't buy it.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I keep hearing that the timeline will be advanced 10 years with the publishing of the 4E D&D. Anyone know anything about that? I guess when it comes to the Chosen of Mystra and the long lived Drizzt it should not be a big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.