main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    You know it does remind me of that with Rick. Were his wife banging his best friend while he's in one. [face_laugh]

2. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I guess I don't really see the evidence that she only sees him as a friend, it seems like they both really liked each other by the end of the film. If they had had her declare romantic feelings for him it would have felt forced. Honestly, I have a hard time seeing either of them ending up with someone else after viewing it. The details in the novel don't seem relevant to me, because if they were important, they would have been in the movie.

Finn may have a second love interest in VIII, but that does not mean that they will end up together. In fact, meeting her in VIII makes it seem unlikely.

Nanosoft and Sgt. Carver like this.
  3. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    BB-8's close relationship with Poe and Rey should give their shippers hope though. He may bring them together.

Sepia and Admiral_Wyvern like this.
  4. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    That god damned blurb about that chem-read is coloring everyone's opinion on Finn's future....:oops:

It's even interfering with my Rey/Finn ship...unacceptable...[face_not_talking]

Actors chem-read all the time.....sometimes they want romantic reads, sometimes comedic, brother/sister, friendship...anything really.

For all we know, the actress who lands that role could be playing an alien.

I remember when Lupita was first announced...people were speculating about her being paired with Boyega. I guess she did, but the role was NOTHING like we originally envisioned.

5. Darth Philosophical

Darth Philosophical Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 8, 2015
    One of the few things the movie did right was its crafting of the Rey/Finn relationship. It was brilliantly done and from a filmmaking standpoint, it was obvious to me that the two are being set-up for romance in the future. I'm a big fan of romances born out of deep friendship so this was both surprising and refreshing to see.

There were so many moments too:
    • Finn continuously grabbing Rey's hand and her "objection" to it and then...
    • Moments later she offered "her hand" in return when picking him off the ground.
    • Finn asking Rey if she had a boyfriend and trying to impress her.
    • Han's advice to Finn abut women (sex symbol Han Solo advises a younger man about women, which is something he never did for Luke).
    • Finn constantly asking Rey to join him when he was leaving Maz's bar.
    • Rey's tears when Finn leaves her.
    • Finn running through a warzone screaming Rey's name when he sees Kylo abducting her.
    • Finn abandoning his plan to run away and deciding instead to rescue Rey from the FO.
    • Probably the biggest ship moment was when, during said rescue, Rey runs into Finn, Han and Chewie and asks what they're doing there and Finn replies, "We came to get you" to which Chewie quickly informs Rey that it was Finn's idea. This lets Rey know that it was Finn, and him alone, who decided to come and rescue her. The camera then lingers on Rey's face as she stares hard at Finn and processes this information.
    Since neither of them have any experience (that we're aware of) with dating, I thought the film did a fantastic job showing two people growing from friends into something more, but neither of them are truly aware of how deep it is. Typically, films tell us how two people fell in love, but TFA actually shows it and, lead by two charismatic leads, it worked brilliantly.

PaulTheGeek, TK327, Ren Kylo and 13 others like this.
  6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Whatever their relationship, I think it's going to factor into the plot more than just a general "hey we're friends" OT fashion. There's a reason they were pretty much tied at the hip, and you don't do that unless you're setting up drama for later on.

7. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Hails yeah they're an awesome comedic duo. Hope they have more screen time in Episode VIII.

8. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    I think it's ambiguous right now. It could go either way. I think as a society we're very black and white about male/female relationships in movies and tv. We think If they care for each other then they must be in love. We're all guilty of it. It could simply be a strong friendship or brother/sister like. I think I'll wait until I see what kind of dynamic she might have with Poe before I decide if I like or dislike Finn/Rey as a couple.

Valairy Scot and dogprivilege like this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Also, Han says to Finn that "women always figure out the truth". Could have several meanings. :)

10. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    Yep. And you didn't even mention the kiss.

There were so many little things sprinkled in this movie between....honestly, it's probably the aspect of the movie that I will focus most closely on during a rewatch.

That STRONG hug she gave.

It's fairly clear that, at the very least, they will have to resolve this in some fashion. As stated earlier, there are plenty of ways for them to do it, but it's *clear* that the audience was meant to feel like this was a set-up for something.

moonjump05 likes this.
  11. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    They've both been/felt alone for most of their lives it seems. I predict there will be a running theme of purpose in this new trilogy. Purpose they find in each other as someone to fight for.

This sort of theme has already started to take shape in some ways, more quickly with Finn than with Rey. Finn automatically gravitates towards Rey when they first meet. Ashamed of his past life, he wanted to become something he wasn't (a Resistance trooper). Something better. All for her. Even when his fears nearly drove him away from Rey and the gang, it was Rey's kidnapping that made him stick around and fight to bring her back.

Rey was not quite so intrigued with Finn right away, but her background explains why. In her mind, the family that left her on Jakku were the only thing she needed. She didn't think she'd have to give them up and look to the future (as Maz suggested) to find the love she needed. Even as Finn and Han looked after her, she remained hesitant in giving in to their company. It wasn't until Finn sought to rescue her from the Starkiller that she realized the love Finn had for her and its value. We finally see her affection returned as she looks over Finn's sleeping body and kisses it goodbye (for now).

Whether this blossoms into a romance or not, I absolutely LOVE these two's chemistry. It's already one of the stronger relationships in the entire SW saga and one of the main reasons I can't wait for Episode 8.

12. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm not going to deny there were some moments that were "romantic" (referring to the list above) but I found most of those very surface level and therefore very easy for people to turn into the typical m/f ship. I think their vibe feels (and is better as, frankly) brother/sister. That could change going forward I guess but I doubt they'll see each other again until at least the end of ep VIII. TBH, I think Finn and Poe were the only two out of the three that had romantic chemistry, but whatever

13. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    double post

14. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Their relationship was one of the best things about the movie. Boyega and Ridley had a very strong chemistry. I hope that Lucasfilm doesn't waste it in future movies.

Force Smuggler and Nanosoft like this.
  15. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I would agree here. Both Poe and Finn worked very well together in the TIE fighter escape, and they seemed to have been genuinely glad to see that each other when they were reunited.

As for Finn and Rey, it is not very clear if there is going to be a romantic connection. Certainly, they bonded with each other during the adventures, and they obviously care about each other as they save each other at least once, but the film leaves it open-ended. Finn does ask if Rey has a boyfriend on Jakku, but it was more out of curiosity and with a bit of teasing. There was also the kiss on the forehead from Rey, but I got the sense that the kiss wasn't romantic, but rather one of caring and fondness, and perhaps also a kiss of farewell.

16. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I liked both of their characters very much and enjoyed their chemistry. It was always going to be incredibly daunting to live up to the likes of Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, etc. but these two proved they could hold their own.

Nanosoft likes this.
  17. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

What are the obvious reasons?

18. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    i think they will end up together in episode 9.

Nanosoft likes this.
  19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Because Finn was raised as a Storm trooper all his life I'm not sure if he was allowed to date. It seems at first he was just like "hot girl, I'm going to try and hook up", but later he felt a genuine love for him. She is very guarded, she is also like a big kid (scene where she puts on the old x-wing helmet). I doubt there was many dating options on Jakku. Also it seems like she had no parents to show her the ropes.

They are adults that have child like tendencies because they never had a chance to grow up normally.

20. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I think that there were definitely hints of romance intended. It's a very different relationship than Han/Leia because by the third act, they are both very open with each other. But remember, Leia gave Luke a 'kiss for luck'. Even without the sibling thing, they'd have ended up 'just' friends despite the initial surface level attraction. I can see Finn and Rey as the closest of friends, OR as romantic partners. If I'm being honest, i think the plan is to pair them up, but i don't think it's necessary. I wouldn't terribly mind either though, it would be less forced than the vast majority of film romance.

Nanosoft likes this.
  21. RagingIdiot

RagingIdiot Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2015
    "I'm all for Jedi-Jedi romance although at this point and with the Jedi pretty much reduced to only Luke and Rey"

That will require more than a PG rating if Rey is Luke's daughter. Actually even if she is Lea's lost daughter or something.

22. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Rey aint had much experience in the "LOVE" department either o_O they were cute together like 2 children.

23. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    Just skimmed the book, here was definitely the best moment.

Sith-I-5 and Darth Djent like this.
  24. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Nah I think it's gonna be her and poe in a relationship, and Finn with some other female lead who we haven't seen yet. I just don't sense any real and exciting romantic chemistry between the two

25. KalThor

KalThor Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    I noticed a strong attraction between Finn and Rey, at least for Finn. He no doubt likes he and cares for her. I feel for right now Rey thinks of him as a good friend (her only one) but I see them furthering their relationship in the next two movies. I am rooting for them to be a couple because their chemistry is amazing and I love both characters dearly.

Nanosoft likes this.