main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    Hell yeah. I like Finn, I really like Finn. To me, he embodies everything a man should be. Throughout this movie he embodies heroism, selflessness, chivalry, and willingness to sacrifice himself for those he cares about. He is on his way to becoming my favorite male character, and I hope he ends up sacrificing himself to save Rey. Perfect character arc.

Jedi_Mind_Trickin likes this.
  2. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Crap, you might be right.

3. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I can't imagine anyone else hooking up with Rey really. The only (living) people she had any significant interactions with were Finn and Ren, and of the two Finn was clearly the one she was closest to. Poe's a great character but I don't remember them even meeting each other. Certainly sparks didn't fly as with Han and Leia. Which means that the next film would have to start their relationship from scratch. Since I think it's pretty clear that the next film will start with Rey in the middle of or just finishing her training there's no room for romantic growth between them in the interval either. And since she's going to be spending a lot of time with Luke I can't imagine her initiating and developing a new relationship during the film. If she gets with anybody it'll be the person she already has an established connection with.

But people throwing out the racism card against any who question the Finn/Rey pairing need to seriously back off. At this point in the original trilogy it was even less ambiguous that Luke and Leia were going to be a couple. Obviously that never panned out, and clearly not for racial reasons. These two are well primed to become a couple. If they don't do so in VIII it'll be for the same reasons: plot. Luke was kept celibate for his training, Rey may well do the same.

Momotaros likes this.
  4. clockpenalty

clockpenalty Jedi Master

May 31, 2007
    Throwing the racism card is pretty cheap to be honest. There are many other reasons why people would not even want to entertain the possibility of a relationship between the two...we all have our preferences for onscreen romance.

What I don't get though, is people trying to ignore or cheapen the fact that what we've seen so far shows finn and Rey having obvious feelings for each other, as underdeveloped as they may be.

They may not end up together...in fact to be honest something I can see happening is, if there's a timeskip, Finn would probably have moved on but still retain memories of his feelings, and Rey would have, in her isolation, magnified the whole thing out of proportion leading to some awkwardness when they finally reunite.

I think speculating about where they will go with the established feelings is more sensible than arguing about whether they have feelings in the first place. Because they clearly do. Wishing that they didn't, because you don't want to see them together, for whatever reason you have, achieves nothing.

Deerborne likes this.
  5. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I cringed at the "my friend" moment too, especially after listening to the audiobook and learning that it comes like immediately after Rey and Poe share a moment. However, in the film, they cut out that Rey/Poe moment and instead use something else to transition into the Rey/Finn scene: C-3PO saying to R2-D2, "Oh my dear friend, how I missed you."

Those two share a forever love and are spacemarried, so Rey and Finn are gonna be alright I think. [face_love]

6. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Wish I could like this post more than once. They could be platonic or romantic, I can totally see it going either way, but the blatant denial by the fans that they had feelings for each other is, to say the least, baffling. It's pretty obvious they were trying to hint at something; the question is whether they'll follow through with it.

DL44Jo and Nanosoft like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It was very clear, yes. "Nobody has ever looked at me the way you looked at me"... Finn doesn't even realize at that point how affected he is by Rey. When he runs after Kylo Ren's departing shuttle with her on board, screaming her name, you know he's come to terms with the fact that he will risk everything to save her. And the way she returns to him after the duel with Kylo Ren, cries over him, and then later kisses him goodbye on the forehead show that she's realizing she has similar feelings for him too.

Nanosoft, Han Drolo and Sgt. Carver like this.
  8. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Count me in as someone that does NOT want to see this become romantic. Not because of anything to do with the characters (I was pleasantly surprised by both), but because it just seems so cliché anymore; male + female in any situation always seems to mean romantic drama that skews things somehow. Bah.

Mind you, I didn't like the Han/Leia relationship (as a 10 year old) in TESB either; "WTF! Han, my hero, what are you doing?! You're too cool for this!" In this instance, Rey is clearly a girl on a mission, and years as a strong survivor would serve her well on whatever mission her destiny holds...unless...some needy guy gets in the way...

Yeah, I get that it's a plot device that we're stuck with in movies...and the girls/women seem to love it...but I would, for once, like to see a strong MALE role in this instance, that bucks biological convention ("convention" meaning, of course, that the love story employed is the typical chaos-inducing sort).

And, yeah, Han/Leia worked out okay (well...Ben notwithstanding)...but my inner 10 year old still says "yuck". :)

Mist1024 likes this.
  9. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I'd be perfectly happy with Finn and Rey ending up in a romantic relationship. I just think they very well may avoid it because of international market concerns. Or if they don't, it'll be written as so inconsequential to the plot that it can be edited out in other countries and therefore end up lame even in the countries where it remains.

Hell, I'd even take Finn and Poe in a relationship, if they want to go that route. They won't, but it'd be amusing as heck to see the rage. Not that you won't get some for Finn/Rey if they skew romantic, but it wouldn't be as bad.

One thing's for sure, we're not going to make it out of the new trilogy without some romance somewhere. Romance is as much a part of Star Wars as lightsabers and star destroyers.

10. Danmax

Danmax Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2014
    I left the movie having no doubt that they will have a romance. It fits right in with all the narratives and demographics Disney thinks people will want to see. TFA set it up, I thought, very obviously. Hand holding, kissing, hugging, etc.

Nanosoft likes this.
  11. celestia

celestia Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm not convinced they have to be in a romantic relationship. I love their relationship, though, as I inferred it. They seem connected to one another and I'm curious to see how that pans out.

12. LukeWhosTalking

LukeWhosTalking Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    What I take away from TFA is a very strong foundation for friendship among the 3 leads. All been through life and death (with Finn). Sure, there are hints between Finn/Rey but to infer that it is overtly romantic is premature. These characters have barely started to grow. I think Ep8 will lay out how the relationships will develop, and there's bound to be one or two more characters in the mix. Anything can happen.

celestia likes this.
  13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But there has to be a romance in the story. Between the heroes we know, not hero + random Joe. And since there there hasn`t been anything implying Rey/Poe in the movie I think Rey/Finn is the logical alternative.

Nanosoft likes this.
  14. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

My personal feelings is that this is going to be similar to the first trilogy in that the good guys fail miserably, but escape. The only saving grace will be those two crazy kids get together and get busy. Episode 10-12 will be 20 years later and feature them and their daughter and son with Rey now a full Jedi Knight and how they take down Palpatine/Plagueis(whichever they go with), which now inhabits the body of Kylo Ren since the end of Episode 9.

15. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Considering how the fist 2 romance's ended up in starwars Anakin/Padme and Han/Leia, maybe they are better off staying friends

16. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I am mildly intrigued by the little "moment" that Poe and Rey apparently have in the novelization that wasn't in the film. (Which from my understanding basically amounts to them seeing each other and respectively thinking "Hey, they're kinda hot.")

Also I will freely admit the "Shattered Empire" comic series that gave the story of Poe's parents made me partial to his character. That and he comes across as one of the most decent and thoroughly "good" characters we've seen in Star Wars.

I get the impression that in a lot of ways Leia has kind of treated Poe like her "replacement son."

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Their relationship was actually "cuter" than any other in SW. They really felt like two young people who really liked each other but totally plutonically. They almost felt like brother/sister.

Found myself instantly attached to both of them (and Poe for that matter).

18. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    If their relationship continues to develop the way we've seen in TFA, Finn and Rey will have the most natural and rewarding relationship in the saga, I think. With Poe and Rey not having met, their relationship may seem rushed. Finn and Poe would be interesting, but unlikely.

Nanosoft likes this.
  19. Finn Katarn

Finn Katarn Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    I personally believed that the movie showed hints at a possible romance down the road, even if they did kinda latch onto each other quickly, we have to realize that they've both just probably let their first true friend in 20 somewhat years. I think this will be explored, but something else I would like to see is a Force connection similar to that in the KOTOR game, where he wakes from his medically induced coma after a weird vision.

Nanosoft likes this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The novel made it sound like Rey had a little thing for Poe. And while the novels are a sort of different, they don't go against cannon.

Momotaros likes this.
  21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Strangely, I thought something like that happened during the Rey/Kylo scene. When he took off his mask I got a "Ok, he is kind of cute... but still a monster" vibe from Rey.

Little_Boots likes this.
  22. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I agree here, I don't see any reason why they cannot both remain strong and independent on their own. There is nothing in the film that suggests that either Finn has romantic feelings toward Rey or that Rey developed romantic feelings towards Finn. Finn almost gets on a transport, alone (after being unable to convince Rey to come along) to escape the First Order. They both care for each other obviously, saved each other too, but it does not necessarily mean that a relationship would automatically develop.

23. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I think Rey is looking for family more than anything else. Whether they become one in Ep9 is another matter, but it's obvious Finn has never belonged to a family and never felt like he fit in the FO and Rey hasn't had anything that resembles family since she was a little girl so they were both drawn to each other.

24. bat22

bat22 Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    I think Finn was crushing on Rey from very early on, similar to Luke on Leia's hologram. And, like the latter couple in ANH, the ongoing dangers cause their relationship to settle on one of camaraderie; though Finn continues to show a strong attachment to Rey from asking her to run away w/ him to jumping in bed w/ La Resistance for one primary goal: her rescue.

Rey is also emotionally attached to Finn but I don't think she sees him as a friend-friend (yet). She appears to be coming from a lot more isolation, lacking in close friends/ peers until Finn enters her life. In building up a stronger female protagonist, I think this was the best approach for her first film. In building up a more intimate relationship between Rey and Finn, I feel likewise.

Nanosoft likes this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I could see it going either way, and I'd be fine with either personally. Boyega and Ridley DO have great chemistry together though, that much is obvious.

I feel like them latching onto others so quickly (Rey to Finn and Finn to her AND to Poe) has to do with them not getting the chance to. Their lives have been such that they haven't really been able to get close to others before, so they latch onto that idea the first chance that they get. Which is both cute and kind of sad all at the same time.