main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I just realized: Rey and Finn have to join up. She comes from a desert planet, he comes from an ice planet. Together they're a song of ice and fire. It is inevitable. You know nothing, Finn Snow. :p

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Where is it stated that Finn comes from an ice planet? [face_curious]

3. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I have to wonder if we might end up with the love triangle that the PT may have once been slated to have. I would have been fascinated if affection for Padme is what split up Obi-Wan and Anakin.
    A Poe/Rey/Finn love triangle could be interesting if done RIGHT, but man it's hard to do that right.

Force22 likes this.
  4. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    After reading the TFA novel. Got a feeling it will be Rey/ Poe and no it has nothing to do with race. It just the way the novel describes when they first meet. Yeah,it sucks for us Finn fans. Espically considering Poe and Rey are hitting on each other while Finn in a coma. One thing to be friendzoned. Another to have the girl move on to one of your friends when your out of it. Geez. Any ways the question is what do they do with Finn in part 8. Espically if they do move towards Poe/Rey in the next episode. I'm hoping he's not resorted to third wheel and has a meaniful storyline.

DL44Jo likes this.
  5. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

I always thought a love triangle there or at least jealousy from Anakin could be interesting but then realized it could undermine a classic scene. Imagine something like this.

"You killed my father."
    "He deserved it. He betrayed me."
    "No, you betrayed him. Anakin was a good man."
    "Who are you talking about?"
    "Who are you talking about?"

I'm not sure about love triangles in Star Wars, and I'm not sure there's time to develop a whole new relationship between characters who have never met , considering all the other priorities.
    Momotaros I didn't get the idea the novel makes that much out of Rey and Poe. Yes, she thinks he's cute, but he is, so what? Again, I doubt they'll pull a couple out of nowhere starting in the second film. Perhaps the idea of the scene was only to bait viewers into shipping wars. And still, the fact that it was cut means it was not important.

6. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Why is there such a strong aversion to the idea of a Finn/Rey romance? I don't understand this attitude. There is too much potential for a romance between the two.

This sounds like a copy cat of the Leia/Han romance. And I have no interest in this potential relationship.

Nanosoft likes this.
  7. LukeWhosTalking

LukeWhosTalking Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015

It's very telling for me that hug Leia gives Rey at the end. They've never met each other but it feels so natural and cathartic. Rey's yearning for family resonates more than Luke's desire for adventure in ANH. And she's, at her core, so much stronger than Luke was. For me, she surpasses Luke as a character. It'll be interesting to see her develop her relationships with others - platonic and romantic - for sure.

DL44Jo and DD-1110 like this.
  8. Finn-2187

Finn-2187 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I just can't wait till Finn and Rey are making out on screen in Episode 8, then the sweet, salty, bitter tears of all the open, closeted, and subconscious prejudiced people against Finnrey will taste so delicious lol.

9. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Let's all tale a moment to reflect on how well these character are done. people actually give a dang enough to theorize about their love lives.

10. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    To be fair, people did this with Twilight too (granted, in a much less intellectual manner).

11. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Well there are indications the new female character being cast for VIII (likely already cast and it just hasn't been announced yet) is going to spend a lot of time with Finn...

12. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    It would be nice to see Rey follow Luke's path and not have a love interest. If they are going to go all feminist in a movie, might as well go all the way and give everyone a female lead whose love life is completely irrelevant.

Besides, it looked like she friend-zoned him and the two had no chemistry together.

13. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    I guess so.

[​IMG]

14. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    They had chemistry together as friends. They didn't have any chemistry together beyond that.

Darth Dementor likes this.
  15. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I only want to see Finn/Rey and absolutely not Rey/Poe.

Nanosoft and Finn-2187 like this.
  16. Miotas

Miotas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2010
    The two have great chemistry together. It helps that the actors seem to really care for each other and that showed in their acting as the characters. However I see it as platonic. There were definitely hints that Finn has a thing for Rey in a possible romantic way, however I do not think Rey feels the same way. That's what I got out of her interaction with him. I could be wrong.

17. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    My question is, if it is indeed platonic, why does Finn got to be the pursuer?

DD-1110 likes this.
  18. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Don't know where Rey/Poe has come from. Do they even talk to each other on screen?

Or Rey/Kylo, for that matter. They have two scenes together, one where he's torturing her and another where they're trying to kill each other. Not exactly a positive relationship.

Finn-2187, DD-1110 and Nanosoft like this.
  19. Miotas

Apr 25, 2010
    I don't understand Rey/Kylo at all. I mean if you want that pairing to happen I won't judge you, but I just don't get it.

I honestly want Rey with no one. I want her to follow the Jedi code.

Prequel_Rubbish likes this.
  20. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I'm expecting that Rey and Kylo are family but there could be some kind of love triangle between Rey, Poe, and Finn. I've heard there's a comment in the novel about Poe and Rey finding each other somewhat attractive.

21. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    I never cared much for romance in any shape or form, but I realize there has to be some in Star Wars order for things to be realistic. I very much liked the 'one background romance per trilogy' pattern that Star Wars has had so far and I hope this new trilogy continues that.

I thought there were clear romantic hints for future Finn/Rey in TFA. They have established a special bond between the two, their personalities just mesh so well together and I thought they(and Maz, but frankly I have no urge to see Maz date anyone in general) were the only decently(decently, not greatly) developed characters in this movie so my vote goes for the Rey/Finn ship. I have no interest seeing Rey with a one-dimensional boring character like Poe, to be quite honest. It would feel like a Han/Leia rip-off and I just don't really see a potential romance for them.

22. Miotas

Apr 25, 2010
    I didn't see Poe and Rey happening either. However, as mentioned above, the book mentions something about them finding each other attractive. That doesn't mean that is a set sign a romance will happen. Just a thought. I'm going to read the book myself. I ordered a few things to read.

I still stand by my "I want Rey to follow the Jedi code" opinion. We have an entire prequal series showing us why breaking that Jedi code is a bad idea haha.

deathraygun likes this.
  23. Darth Philosophical

Darth Philosophical Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 8, 2015
    TFA hits viewers over the head with Finn/Rey and people still refuse to see it. From the moment they meet, subtle hints, done comedically, were planted for their romantic relationship and those hints continued - and evolved from humorous to serious - through to the end of the film. I might post more about this tomorrow.

Nanosoft and Finn-2187 like this.
  24. Miotas

Apr 25, 2010

Definitely not going to deny that it was there (Especially on Finn's side). The two have great chemistry. The actors do as well which I am sure helped in bringing it to the screen. I just wish it was not so.

25. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015

if they do, I'd be more pissed about it unleashing so much racism out into the world. I guess thats not a reason to avoid these pairings, I just hate reading reviews, twitter rants, posts etc. that are so filled what racism :(