main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary! “I am a Jedi like my father before me.”

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kato Sai, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

Forty Years ago…

The Star Wars Trilogy was concluded with Revenge of the Jedi. Wait.. revenge? Yes it was indeed titled that till George Lucas changed it to Return of the Jedi, noting the path of revenge is not that of a Jedi. The film like most threequels is not critically praised compared to the Original or the incredible sequel Empire Strikes Back. However, it did give us Emperor Palpatine in all his cackling glory, green lightsabers, Sarlaacs, Rancors, Speeder Bikes, and the greatest redemption story in fiction! (IMHO)

For myself ROTJ is my favorite. The Throne Room scenes with Luke confronting his Father and The Emperor are what I believe is best about Star Wars: the battle for the soul.

I cannot help weeping every time Vader saves Luke, and the triumphant Jedi music plays, reminding us the real return of the Jedi is Anakin, even though it also refers to Luke who will restore the Jedi Order.

I sadly never got to see it in theaters, I am too young. But my VHS tape got hot in the player, for ROTJ was and is my favorite SW film, for it gives us hope that even the most lost soul can be saved…

What are some of your memories?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it was my most anticipated movie of all time (and that can never change), Empire was so great and then Raiders I really thought ROTJ would be the greatest, plus storywise it was going to answer so much, huge questions : was Vader really Luke's father? Would Han be ok? How would Lucas wrap this all up?

I saw it entirely spoiler-free first day.
    I must admit the appearance of another Death Star was a bit disappointing. As were some of the puppets and the ewoks, it felt a bit like it had gone backwards. But the real issue was Luke and Vader and I could not have been more satisfied in that regard, it was better than I expected actually.

The action scenes are just phenomenal , Rancor , Sarlacc, Speeder-Bike chase, space battle, land battles , talk about your money's worth.
    But yes, altho I was elated after that first screening I also felt there were disappointments.

over the years those disappointments have faded, ROTJ is the source of so much SW content to come, Jabba, Sidious, Sarlacc , Rancor , all those creatures who have gone on to feature in more stories because they're so iconic.

but 40? man, do I feel old.

3. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    @gezvader28
    In the making of SW I learned the Second Death Star was because GL did not intend to destroy the Death Star in ANH, but because the studio execs were claiming SW would fail and he’d never get another chance to complete his trilogy, GL moved the Death Star’s destruction to ANH in case he never got to it in ROTJ. That makes sense. Though reworking that The Empire would build another installation does make sense, especially in their aim to subjugate the whole galaxy.

I admit the puppets in Jabba’s Palace did stretch my suspension of disbelief, especially Max Rebo:
    [​IMG]

Though I love him in the comics.

The Ewoks actually grew on me, no pun intended. I feel they are polar opposite of the throne room scenes, the levity to counteract the weighty conflict between Luke and the Sith.

I mean the death of a Ewok on screen helped drive home that the Empire ravages innocence, and if it it is not stopped, everything that is tender and sweet will die.

I totally agree with you on Luke and Vader. They built on the ESB reveal and expanded it flawlessly. One of my favorite exchanges is Luke and Vader on Endor:

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s probably the original trilogy movie I have seen the most.

5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Same. ESB is a close second. ROTJ is my father’s favorite, my brother’s favorite, and mine; and we are all very different people. :)

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Another factor in the retitling was that the Trek crew was working on Star Trek II: The Revenge of Khan. Eventually they changed that to Wrath, and I think both movies were the better for the changes.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I remember seeing it on opening day at the late, lamented Menlo Park Twin off Rt. 1 (where I saw ANH & TESB for the first time, as well). What I remember the most is the audience (including me) shouting "Help him!" at Vader when Luke was being shocked, then the huge cheer that went up when he tossed the Emperor to his well-deserved (and permanent) doom.

BlackRanger, Kato Sai and Sarge like this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    "Vengeance of Khan", I believe. I agree that "Wrath" works better; it has the right rhythm.

BlackRanger, Kato Sai and Sarge like this.
  9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh to be there and hear those cries, “help him!” You are truly blessed to have experienced that.

I did not know that! Fascinating. All is as The Force Wills It.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Yes, that's right. Though Nicholas Meyer's script was actually titled "Star Trek II: The Undiscovered Country". Which alludes to Spock's death via a reference to Hamlet's famous "to be or not to be" soliloquy: "...but that the dread of something after death,/That undiscovered country from whose bourn/No traveler returns, puzzles the will..."

Meyer liked the title enough to reuse it for Star Trek VI, re-contextualizing it through having Klingon Chancellor Gorkon define "the undiscovered country" as "the future" in dialogue.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  11. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    It's still my favorite Star Wars film of all time! :cool:

But just like a typical Star wars fan, there are still a couple of things I would change about it haha. Ewoks to Wookies and Boba Fett having a "better" fight with Luke and then being dispatched (Mace/Jango style) by him! :cool: Love this film! :greensaber::redsaber:

**Just for fun, I went and watched a clip of the Jabba sail barge fight where Luke has the blue lightsaber...not bad!***

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Kato Sai likes this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    But Boba’s defeat by Han shows that even blind Solo is a bombad Smuggler. :p

[​IMG]

13. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Boba Fett is still waaaay cooler in that scene getting a cheap death...than anything done to him in the BOBF! :oops:Makes me sad to see what they have done to this amazing character... I actually (I'm dead serious) can't reconcile the two as being the same character! :boba: :boba:

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Boba be like, “well this exit is going to better than that script I read about the Zabrak with red and black tats for a face.” [face_laugh]

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Sarge likes this.
  16. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    I would love to go see this in theaters!

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    General question: When is the last time you saw Return of the Jedi in a movie theater?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Kato Sai likes this.
  18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    For me never. I never got to see the special edition in theaters, and I was too young to see it when it in 1983. So for me this is major opportunity to see it at last on the big screen.,

19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    @Kato Sai

If a 40th anniversary screening is happening near you - try and see it opening night with a big audience.

Jedi is one of the most fun movies ever made to see in a packed theater. Watched at home doesn’t really compare with communal experience.

Sarge and Kato Sai like this.
  20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Return of the Jedi is an all time classic.
    It is the first SW film I ever had a physical media copy of and therefore the SW film I have seen the most, well over 50 times.
    I did see the RotJ Special Edition print once in the theater which was very fun.

RotJ is always a top go to feel good and or comfort film for me. It's such a wonderful movie.

BookExogorth, AndyLGR, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Probably it was at the last Celebration I attended (Orlando, 2010, if I recall correctly). On the other hand, I saw ANH & TESB at outdoor venues during the summer of 2020, when indoor theaters were closed by the lockdown.
    Any word on which theaters will be playing this?

22. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    If it's similar to the ESB 40th re-release, it should be a pretty wide one. Mind you, that occurred when theaters were just re-opening and were desperate for any type of content so take that with a grain of salt. I would guess it should be a wide, just don't know if it will only be for a weekend or two though.

Excited to see it on the big screen again.

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I hope it’s the new 2019 remastered digital version of Return of the Jedi. The one that premiered on Disney+ and is 4K. Empire in 2020 was still using the version the 2011 BluRay is made from. Pretty sure that master was originally created for the 2004 DVDs.

The main problem with the 2004 transfer of Jedi (and all those based on it until the 2019 4K) is one entire reel of Return of the Jedi is out of focus. The result is a soft focus for that part of the film. It’s not deal breaker but is definitely noticeable - especially once you know about it.

Still I’ve seen the 2011 version of Jedi in a theater and it’s a great time. I’d just have a little more fun if it’s the newest version.

Kato Sai likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I can imagine the claps when Vader saves Luke! :)

Checking tickets, Fandango has pre sales. But I need to see if a theater near me is playing ROTJ.

25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Nabbed this today at my store!

[​IMG]