main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary! “I am a Jedi like my father before me.”

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kato Sai, Mar 26, 2023.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    "Look, it's only one more half-decade..."

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Kenneth Morgan and Sarge like this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I love how Luke tells Jabba, “you can profit from this or be destroyed.”
    I had Decipher card that had those lines, it was a unusual double sided card:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kenneth Morgan and Watcherwithin like this.
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I managed to see it twice. Once at Shankweiler's (as part of a double-feature with "Black Panther") and once at the AMC at Menlo Park (where I was the only attendee, and had to fill out a form before going inside).

4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Did the form ask,

“How many Bothans died to bring us this information?” :p

Sarge likes this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    No, more like "Which theater are you going to?", "What are you seeing?", and "Have you been sick recently?"
    They did not ask if I had a landing permit, nor did tell me they'd be honored if I would join them.

Sarge, DARTH_BELO and Kato Sai like this.
  6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I would have written in sick:

Plagueis. :p

7. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    So, now we're finding out that Raiders of the Lost Ark will be coming to theaters!

You can bet your a$$ets I will NOT be missing THAT go around! I've never seen Raiders in the theater!

Sarge likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Timothy Lee Edwards’ art is breathtaking! I love his blend of Impressionism and realism:

[​IMG]

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Yeah, it's an upcoming Fathom Events presentation.
    I saw it at a drive-in this past January as part of a double-feature with "Top Gun: Maverick". There are few movies I'd go to see at a drive-in with temps in the low 30s; "Raiders" is definitely one of them.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    My first lightsabers:

[​IMG]

I got Luke’s first, and it was like having the holy grail! Swinging it beneath the night sky and a big oak, at last a Jedi!

I got Vader’s later when my parents were sure I would not emulate Lord Vader in real life. :p

Darkslayer, BigAl6ft6 and BlackRanger like this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

You seem to enjoy those double-features!! :p

I used to do that. But I just don't have the time anymore these days...

Kato Sai likes this.
  12. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Drive-ins routinely do double-features. And, since it's two movies for the price of one, it works out great. The only problem for me is the long drive into PA to get there.

13. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I eventually got a Vader 'saber, but back in the day, this is what we had to settle for until Kenner got up to speed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    BlackRanger and Kato Sai like this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Do you remember this Halloween generic saber?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was a white blade and handle looked like a flashlight, but it was prophetic, because white sabers are major thanks to Ahsoka.

BlackRanger likes this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    No, that's a new one on me.

BlackRanger likes this.
  16. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    That looks intriguingly like the early lightsaber prop designs, whose handles really were made out of flashlights. And when they tried to do the lightsabers with in-camera effects on the first film, they had to use a filter to try enhancing the glow, but this required all the blades to be the same color so Lucas opted for all-white sabers (until the effect turned out poorly and they switched to rotoscoping, which allowed for multiple colors).

Kato Sai likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Interesting! That probably is what it is! It was heavy at the hilt cuz you had to use two Double D Batteries. :eek:

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I understand they initially used a Scotchlite material on the blades to reflect the light, then added animation to build up the glow further.

19. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    The animation was not intended at first - they had a filter in front of the camera that was supposed to enhance the glow, but it didn't really work. You can see the effect in the original trailer: the lightsabers just look like white sticks. So they had to go with rotoscoping in animated blades, which allowed for the possibility of different colors like in Ralph McQuarrie's paintings. (Originally Vader's blade was going to be blue and Luke and Obi-Wan's would be red, but this was switched at the suggestion of editor Paul Hirsch.)

The switch to rotoscoping also meant they didn't have to worry about the lightsaber props being (IIRC) delicate spinning glowing sticks with hidden electric cords on future films. Instead they could just use wooden sticks with elaborate handles and add the glow in post-production. This led to a massive improvement in the fight choreography in ESB and ROTJ.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I got in a 40th anniversary showing of ROTJ, hadn't seen it in theatres since 1997. Missed the opening crawl though :( I don't know what happened!

I really just loved watching the detail on the big screen. One bit that doesn't translate to a TV screen is when that frog thing eats the little critter is that the critter actually tries to run away! Also holy heck, Jabba is way more goo and slime in a theatre, yikes!

21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I never understood the hatred of the Ewoks. I still find them a nice balance to the dark aspects of the Throne Room scenes:

22. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Jabba's awesome on the big screen. His nostril flare when he gets irate is a sight to behold.

Sarge, Kato Sai and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and BlackRanger like this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think they need to release the OT movies again in the theaters before any other anniversary dates. Return of the Jedi for a 1983 movie did pretty well with a limited one week release. Looking forward to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I will say this, GL's movies were made to be seen in the theaters. It was also great to see the box office cume (domestic) for Return of the Jedi move up especially past Attack of the Clones.

25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014