main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary! “I am a Jedi like my father before me.”

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kato Sai, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    One the movie was never presented from Palpatines POV.

also all those hooded anonymous figures in the viewing gallery, could be the former Sith Lords.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    According to my studies they are New Sith Cultists.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    But that’s not in the movie. (Agreed that’s what the most recent ‘canon’ EU said but I don’t really think anything is canon until it’s in a movie or tv show)

PS - like your new icon!

Kato Sai likes this.
  4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Hmmm.. they did obliterate when Palpatine was destroyed right? I need to rewatch TROS.

So maybe that was the spirits of dead Sith Lords, bound to Exegol (canon Korriban)

Thanks! I love how the flames look real and have movement. :)

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That is what happens. They are obliterated at the same time Palpatieb is. And it’s like nothing in the room is damaged afterwards except them all being gone.

Technically Korriban became Morriban - the origin world of the Sith. It seems Ezekiel is later and more connected with the later rule of two Sith.

I noticed in Revenge of the Sith that when Palpatine addresses the Senate after his physical form changed to Darth Sidious he address the senate with certain body language that is gesturing to the entire crowd.

He starts to use the same body language when he’s fighting Yoda and the Senate is empty. I think that crowd on Exegol is always with him. It’s like Darth Sidious is schizophrenic with the voices and knowledge of the past Sith Lords.

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Hmm.. his mind fractured.. what if he uses hosts via Essence Transfer and he wanted Anakin and then Luke as his next body? :eek:

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Yeah. My question is does Darth Sidious become a passenger in the background with all the other past Sith or would he takeover control of Anakin or Luke?

The horde of Sith spirits wouldn’t care who the current Sith in control is as long as it’s the most powerful host. They’d always be rooting against Palpatine for a stronger host.

SateleNovelist11 and Kato Sai like this.
  8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    On this anniversary, a little trip down Glitterstimm's memory lane.

I first watched ROTJ when I was 5 or 6 y/o, I think. It was supposed to be a somewhat special occasion, which I unfortunately kind of botched. My babysitter (a fantastic guy who I became friends with as I grew up) knew I'd already seen ANH and ESB on tv broadcasts (in which order I still cannot remember to this day), and promised he'd bring his vhs copy of ROTJ the next time he was going to babysit me. But having instant-gratification reflex of a yougnling, I ended up watching it at another friend's house on a whim. The next night he came over and learned I'd already seen it. I then realized that I'd disappointed him, and became quite disappointed with myself. However all was not lost, my babysitter had brought over a girl he liked and they ended up having a good time.

Equally was when he brought over a making-of documentary - not sure which one - and I was amazed at the Gamorean Guard costumes, which needed little fans to get shoved in the mouths between shoots to keep the actors cooled down.

It wasn't long before I had a vhs copy of ROTJ recorded from a tv broadcast like the ANH and ESB copies, and eventually the scenes during the Battle of Endor got almost unwatchable as repeatedly rewinding those parts messed up the magnetic tape.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Was it this one?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes it is. The series has never been one-note dark and gritty and never should be. If the weird characters and humour are removed you make the brand something else entirely.

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I like the dark novels like Red Harvest, but they do not feel entirely SW because the levity and lightness isn’t there to counterbalance. We need the Force balanced: lightness and darkness. :)

SateleNovelist11 and BlackRanger like this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I love how Sidious Palpatine may be elderly in ROTJ, but he is so reckless that he wants to see if he can control Luke, who is twice as powerful as he is, whereas Vader after his Mustafar incident is only eighty percent as powerful as he is. He does the same thing in Dark Empire. It's crazy but so in character. Loves to manipulate people to death. But I recall the first time that I watched this as a little kid being confused and terrified when Sidious unleashed that Sith lightning at Luke. Then I was relieved, astonished, and thankful when Vader redeemed himself by grabbing Palpatine to throw him down that reactor shaft. I was like, "Oh, I see. This is what this character is all about. This is why he's so remembered." Great movie.

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Indeed, The True Return of the Jedi. Every time I see Vader transform back to Anakin and save his Son, I weep.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Honestly, I find Sidious Palpatine scarier in ROTJ than he was in ROTS. I mean, he's plenty frightening in ROTS. But the fact that he was quite close to turning Luke Skywalker to the dark side when Luke had grown and matured after TESB shows how dangerous this cruel mastermind is.

15. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I am not sure how i did it, but i ended up watching ROTJ last of the 6 films, even though i started with ANH brought by my father alongside the other movies in DVD except for Episode III, it was just when said movie came out (he was back from the cinema), which makes it even more bizarre how i managed to watch ROTS before ROTJ (i first saw it on DVD so ROTS must have been some time later).

But anyways, life story plot holes and strange viewing order aside, Return of the Jedi was a great experience the first time watching it, it was so satisfying to finally see the conclusion to the saga, to see Vader redeem himself, i didin't expect that, to see Luke with a green Lightsaber instead of blue like his father's, Jabba finally being dead, and Anakin's ghost at the end that made me go "hey! i remember when he used to look like that!"

The whole saga definetly got the expected emotional response from me.

Thanks dad.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    40 years and "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." is probably Luke's best line in the entire saga.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rainbow Wig guy calls him Dark Vader, probably too late for him hahaha

18. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Is "Rainbow Wig guy" actually Bill Nye? We must know. For science. ;)

christophero30, Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Fun times. That 3 year wait was a long *** wait. I got my first spoiler in line for the movie. These guys ahead of me said "lets all cry when Yoda dies."

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The ROTJ comic adaptation says that Yoda is getting “much-needed rest”.

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    A bout of flu has given me the chance to not only rewatch ROTJ but watch it with the DVD commentary. It's really interesting to listen to Ben Burtt, GL and Carrie again.

22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I must admit that I have never watched any film with the commentary on, maybe I need to start with the SW films.

Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not all commentaries are worth listening to IMO, but the SW ones for the OT were very good. The gold standard of best commentaries still goes to LotR.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Is the commentary included on the Blu-Rays? I've listened to the PT commentary I think, but definitely not the OT.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The commentaries are on the BDs. Two different tracks for each film, actually (I-VI)! One is the same as on the DVDs, the other is what they call archival commentary; pieces of commentary that didn't make the original cut (Maybe some of it is from the 1993 LD commentaries?) plus quotes from various interviews. There's some fairly obscure stuff in there. Highly recommended!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023