main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I think Rey is Luke's daughter I am curious how much of the fandom here thinks the same way.

Mav Edit: Rather than have 10 threads on this topic, I've changed the title of this thread and it should now be used for all discussion on Rey's lineage, parentage and name. The poll at the start has no bearing on the topic of the thread.

christophero30 and Josh7797445 like this.
  2. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Complete agreement. Vader had two grandkids, one from each twin, one went dark and one went light.

3. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    So according to a tweet :

(found in Daisy Ridley thread pg 1341) So if Rey was left on Jakku to 'protect' her it was at least 15 years ago. Agree? And if the Academy was destroyed by Ben and KOR and she had been there, it also had to take place 15 years ago, agree? So Luke has been missing for at most 15 years. By the look Luke sent her when she first arrive ... he hasn't had a whole lot of visitors in 15 years. So why would Luke or his hypnotically wife or others leave a 5 year old on a planet that even the Hutts don't want, in the hands of a piece of work like her boss was even for a minute, instead of taking her either to him or with him? Because mind you, Luke seems awful safe to me since no one, even the bad guys, knew where he was! Snoke wanted Skywalker out of the way, not have him breathing down his neck thinking bad thoughts about revenge for his dead daughter.

-OR-

Her parents, either in fear of her or just being worst scum ever, left her behind because they are just (insert your choice words here, I won't; hate to get banned)!

4. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I think either Ben Solo ditched Rey on Jakku or Luke's baby momma hid her away for some reason.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think Luke chose to leave her hidden away, not just from the Dark Side and from the galaxy at large, but hidden from her own legacy.

Let's look at the Skywalker legacy for a moment: Anakin went dark, Luke danced right on the edge of the dark, Leia (who never learned she was a Skywalker until she was mature and had a dedicated calling for her life) never was tempted by darkness, and her son Ben went dark. That's a pretty lousy batting average for the Skywalkers.

So I think Luke decided Skywalkers are a curse upon the galaxy, arranged for Rey to forget who she was, and left her in a place where she'd be ignored and not have a way to leave. She'd be safe there, and he'd go into hiding elsewhere so he couldn't corrupt her with his training as he corrupted Ben. And I believe he also persuaded Han, Leia, and Chewie to keep quiet about her true identity, explaining to them she'd be safer if she didn't know.

I'm still guessing she's Han & Leia's daughter. The way Rey and Han finished each others' sentences, the way she flew the Falcon, the way Chewie attached himself to her after Han died, the way Leia hugged her, the way she matched Kylo in their battle of wills, all of that makes me think she's not Luke's daughter, but his niece.

6. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    It could be someone else took her, without telling Luke where she was etc. Lor San Tekka perhaps?

7. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    You don't cast Max Von Sydow without a very good reason.

In all reality, he's likely Rey's Grandfather. His daughter having been her mother. Her mother likely died in Kylo Ren's attack on the students. Luke bolted, left Von Sydow a piece of the map where he was going... and Von Sydow's job was to keep her safe somewhere. So he put her on Jakku and stayed close to keep tabs on her.

8. poundpuppy29

Jul 3, 2007
    Prior to movie thought she was going to be Han & Leia's daughter but the movie changed that I think it is good the whole father son story has been done and we have it with Kylo and Han or we had it

9. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Here's a twist. Rey could be a Kenobi. Not Obi-Wan's offspring obviously, but she could be related to Obi-Wan. I'm sure Obi-Wan had a family and at least one of his siblings or relatives could have been force sensitive.

Satipo, Loth-cat, Mana and 3 others like this.
  10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Could be either of those. I'm of two minds on this:

1. Rey is a member of the Skywalker clan and was left on Jakku in much the same way as Luke was left on Tatooine with Owen & Beru to look after him and keep him away from Vader. The only trouble I have with this theory is that she is very clearly on her own. My best guess for this was that whoever Luke had entrusted her with had either died or was carted off without Rey. Another possibility is Lor San Tekka (Max von Sydow's character) who may have been an Obi Wan type of overseer. He *did* have the map to Luke's destination.

2. Rey is the offspring of somebody else entirely who either has or had Force skills and for whatever reason couldn't come back for her.

There is the possibility of something else entirely. But going by what we know of her (and my three viewings of the film as of today), these are the best guesses I can think of until more is known.

morrison85 likes this.
  11. poundpuppy29

Jul 3, 2007
    I don't think that is the case sorry too convoluted I think the Kenobi line is done

12. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    I am certain that she is Luke's daughter. According to JJ, KK GL and everyone else, this is the story of Vader's GrandkidS. Plural. TFA made it clear they she's not Han and Leia's. That only leaves Luke.

Funny to see people grasping at straws with Kenobi or random theories. It really is grasping at straws There isn't going to be a major twist with this. Sure the revels is slow and unspoken. But the simplest explanation is always the correct one (all things being equal). Occum's razor.

Face the facts, Rey is Luke's offspring and Kylo is Leia's. That's the story. Get excited for it! It's going to be awesome!

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Problem is that the Jedi would take them so...No is your answer.

14. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Why would Luke, of all people, leave his own daughter to live as a scavenger on a world like Jakku without somebody to watch over her? Granted, it's possible Lor San Tekka was that overseer, but why wasn't she with him and why did he not say a thing about her to Poe? If she is Luke's daughter then Luke has a LOT of explaining to do.

15. Dory Vader

Dec 15, 2015
    I'm sure there will be an explanation. Perhaps he believed she was dead. And whoever or whatever erased her memory also erased her "force signature" so to speak it inhibited his ability to feel her presence until she awakens.

Look carefully at Luke's facial expressions at the end of TFA. He looks relieved to see her. Sort of like I recognize her.

HHxines and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  16. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    If he thought she was dead then why didn't he bury her like any normal person would?

17. Dory Vader

Dec 15, 2015
    If she was taken away from him during the assault on the Jedi temple and told she was dead what would be bury? Perhaps he sent her away and was lied to and told she was dead along with the rest of the new Jedi apprentices. This coupled with the fact that Ben betrayed him and massacred his academy would surely make a man give up. Send him into hiding. I have a whole theory. Here is the short form.

Luke starts a new academy. He has Lor as a helper. Ben is his start pupil for many years. Then Rey is born. She quickly becomes stronger and eclipses Ben. Ben is jealous. Snoke comes in and starts telling Ben that he can gain power by using the dark side. One day when Luke is away, Ben kills everyone. Luke comes back to see it at the tail end but is unable to stop it. During the battle, Luke asks someone to "get Rey out of here for her protection" while Luke goes after Snoke and now Kylo. When Luke comes back to his academy to bury everyone he asks about Rey and is told that she's dead or presumed dead. Feeling totally defeated having lost his family and his academy, Luke gives up and goes into exile.

TFA happens and as Rey "awakens" Luke feels it through the force. Which is why at the end of TFA Luke's expression changes to an "i know you" look and comfort. Then Rey shows him the saber and his look goes to confusion then determination.

I have more details in my theory but that is the short version.

18. owl89

owl89 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I think she's Luke's daughter.

I've read theories here suggesting that Luke's afraid of the Skywalker's penchant for dancing with the dark side. What if Luke sensed Rey's power and is afraid of what she could end being into? Is being turned and consumed by the dark side a better fate than living her life on Jakku? A tough choice for Luke to make if it is indeed the scenario.

Dory Vader likes this.
  19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Perhaps Luke wasn't the one who left her on Jakku. I could have been Ben (he did seems to flip out when he heard about "the girl on Jakku") because he just couldn't bring himself to kill her all those years ago (a "sign of weakness" as he sees it). Or perhaps her mother, or someone else entirely.

And if Luke believed her dead, then he might not have sense her presence (or thought to try). Remember Vader couldn't immediately sense that Luke and Leia were his children in ANH, despite being in close proximity to both of them at points.

20. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015

The last thing I ever want in this series is any type of memory erasure or mind wiping. That's just lazy writing to cover holes in your plot. Simply get the plot worked out(without cheesy mind wipes) to begin with. They aren't freaking droids.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think Kylo spared her life and he dumped her off with Plutt thinking he'd never see her again. I think he knows who she is but doesn't want to tell Hux or Snoke. I don't think she was sent their for protection. Kylo's mercy will be his fatal flaw.

22. Order 66

Order 66 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015

Even if this doesn't turn out to be the case, I definitely think we will see elements of flashback in episode VIII

23. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    It is possible, but something of that nature would probably have been mentioned in TFA. If you have a fallen Jedi and want to establish just how far this guy has fallen, then you'll want to do it early on instead of leaving people guessing until the next film rolls around, especially when it involves all new characters and a new storyline which hasn't already been referred to in earlier films as was the case with the PT.

24. Dory Vader

Dec 15, 2015
    It was mentioned. Kylo betrayed Luke and destroyed the new academy. Han tells the kids.

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    That wasn't what I was referring to. It was everything else in your theory. When you have something that important to establish about a character, you do not wait until the next movie to tell the audience about it. Even then, it still doesn't address the fact that Rey was not living the kind of life you would want for someone who is so strong with the Force to be living. You put them in the custody of someone who can be trusted, not the nearest scrapyard owner who only cares about what they haul in and then rats them out to the First Order when they learn they're in possession of a hot droid.

DL44Jo and Teamx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.