main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    LastJediKnight

We all know that the directors aren't going to spend time reading all that stuff. That is why they created the story group to keep track of most of that stuff and give directors a bit of a road map on how they could potentially fit their film in with other stuff that is out there. For instance in the Saw situation what happened there was that Edwards wrote a character similar to Saw and the story group brought up that there is already a character like that within this same time period so why doesn't he just use him.

2. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017

This could be the case; and his would fit perfectly with what we know from TFA. It would be interesting if that was the case at what age Rey was forced to scavenge for her well-being (in comparison to when Unkar my have shielded her) I do wonder how Maz was able to sense all that and not know who her parents were, "Who's the Girl?" - Maz already knew the answer the only one who might bring Luke back, not a child of the lineage

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Do we really know what Maz does and doesn’t know?

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She only knows what the story team allows her to know - and what exactly this is, we don't know

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Maz likely sensed that Rey was Force Sensitive. That alone would make it entirely logical for her to try to use Rey as a way to bring Luke back into the mix. Maz wouldn't have needed to know Rey's complete history to realize she was a really important figure.

6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    She knows Han, she knows Chewie, and she appears to be on a first-name basis with Luke (which is entirely unsurprising).

Frankly, the only thing I actually wonder about is why she stole the saber.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if Luke tracked down the saber over the years and then gave it to Maz. Maz and Luke very easily could have had a plan of using that saber as a way to find new young Jedi.

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That raises another question. How much evidence did Han have that Rey was force sensitive prior to going to Maz's? If he did he very well could have been taking Rey to Maz for a reason.

If Han was purposely introducing Rey to Maz simply because she was force sensitive that would answer virtually every question raised while at Maz's castle.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That's a story for another...comic book...probably to be published after TLJ is released. Wait! She stole the saber? When did we learn this?

I'm guessing however she got it that the Force essentially told Maz, "hey you should hold onto this lightsaber because it'll be useful to somebody important in the future!"

10. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    What would Han know of Force sensitivity unless he literally saw her levitating something? And why would he care?

Rey becoming a part of the whole mess simply because she’s FS, while technically posdible, is kinda lame imo. And I would have expected that to have been made clear.

Instead, we’re encouraged to wonder, which in itself leads to the question of why they want us to wonder.

(One could, of course, see the the answer as “Because reasons.” But “Becauase reasons” could really be the answer to everything, couldn’t it? “Why did Kylo turn to the DS and betray Luke? Reasons. Why is Luke on Achoo? Reasons.” Etc, etc.)

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well we will just have to agree to disagree then. I think that is a much more plausible answer to the question than it is to try to shoe horn Luke Skywalker's fatherhood in there somewhere.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Never change LastJediKnight!

13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i don't see how han would know rey is FS - in fact i don't think han knew at all. maz only knew after the lightsaber called rey. she wouldn't have been drawn to it if she didn't have the force. han told maz that rey thinks she needs to get back to jakku (when rey says she has to get back, maz says she knows - han told her). maz sees the same eyes in different people. in finn she sees a man who wants to run (she may have gathered a bit more than that but not said it out loud). in rey she sees a little girl waiting for someone to come back for her - but who knows deep down they are never coming back.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  14. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The new book From a Certain Point of View does answer one question some have used in their Rey arguments:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-most-intriguing-and-important-details-the-new-star-1819136901

No question of who was the "other" Yoda spoke of. Not that it should have been but folks like to make things more complicated than it is.

Rogue Seven likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think most of the people thinking they may retcon the 'other' line to mean something different were assuming that Yoda may now be referring to Ezra. I don't think Rey played much into that theory at all anyways.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    LastJediKnight - i would be curious about your holdo theory if you read the leia book as then you would have the holdo character to start with. that book really is canon and it's holdo at age 16.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

It might have been a LastJediKnight theory, but I recall it being used to support idea of Kenobi descendant too.

18. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

I haven't read the books, no. The character of Holdo is someone who should be seen from the outside is good.. but is secretly working with TFO. I see absolutely no reason why they'd ever put out a book that alluded to her bad side, given that's something the movies should rightfully develop. Either way, the one definitive first image we have of her has her in the symbolic pose of an Egyptian Cobra. That pretty much tells you she's a villain, but not necessarily one known as such, in a GFFA.

Also factor in that there is no reason that she couldn't have been good earlier in life when she had Rey(she wasn't looking to have a child for nefarious purposes at the time, although it will be posed as such for exposition purposes to try to get Rey to kill Ren), and then TFO found out and used it against her, to turn her to their side.

In a lot of ways, you can set it up from Holdo's POV to be pretty tragic. Holdo wants Rey to join her and Snoke and sets up the meeting thinking that Rey will do what is necessary, Kill Ren, and join them, only for something completely different to go down. This gives the feeling of immense betrayal to Rey that her mother would set her up like this, when in reality Holdo did it never expecting the true outcome. This then allows for some form of reconciliation and redemption on Holdo's part in ST2 between mother and daughter.

Either way, this theory is the type of thing I want to see. I don't give two bits about Luke and Rey as father and daughter and dealing with that, because we've already travelled similar roads in the first 6 films. But by shifting to a mother/daughter dynamic, particularly one in which the mother massively betrays the daughter? Ya.. I'd buy that.

Per 2Cleva: As per the 'another' line. I don't advocate Yoda actually referring to Rey as the 'another'. Instead, if you look at it from a writers point of view... if Luke couldn't ultimately keep the darkness down, and his sister Leia was 'another' that Yoda was referring to and is too old now to be it, then if you're going to extend the series you need to find another 'another' to be able to finish that story. Hence why you make Rey the final daughter of The Chosen One. Not that Yoda was actually referring to anyone but Leia when he said that.

19. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will. Also, you think Rey and Luke would be too similar to Anakin and Luke, yet want them to throw in surrogates and frozen sperm just to give Anakin a third kid?

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh c'mon! We need something to break up the monotony of this thread! I say this thread needs more frozen sperm talk!

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Considering Holdo is just as much against the Empire in the novel as Leia is I would see no reason to believe she would suddenly turn and align herself with the First Order (when the FO is just the Empire reborn).

However if someone is freely choosing to ignore everything but the movies (even though they are clearly making an effort to make sure everything fits together) and has also stated as such)) than I guess in that situation the only facts there would be about Holdo's character is that she likes to dress funny.

22. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Oh, I know that :>. But then... that could be said of anyone is this thread. Just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will. When they bury this thread, that'll be on its tombstone.

Per the bold: You work with what you've got. Also note that per my dialogue, absolutely no talk of such things occurred. Nor would it. The general adult viewer would pretty much understand, the parents might need to explain it to their kids, but 'genetic material' is likely as close as you get. The important aspect being to impart she's the daughter of Vader which ultimately triggers her into killing Snoke, and things move from there faster than the viewer can think things through. You accept it, and go with it, because its a $250 million Star Wars movie. The rest is just glorified handwaving and storytelling to get to that point.

Unless of course they found out she had an illegal child and were using that against her. Any manner of conceits could be used to justify her having gone bad.

Holdo is in the symbolic pose of an Egyptian Cobra in the one primary picture we have of her. Yet you're going to claim they aren't looking to infer she's a villain of some sort?

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    one thing that i think reflects holdo in the leia book is she is chaotic good:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChaoticGood

the FO and the empire are lawful evil (which is the totally opposing alignment).

the article says this about chaotic good characters shifting alignment:
    so i think that imagining how holdo could shift to chaotic neutral or evil would be the "ticket." and she is so chaotic i don't think she'll be shifting to lawful anything. although actually i could easily see her shift to neutral good, so strike that.

if holdo is on the side of the FO, how does she reconcile their differences, since the FO are crushers of free spirits such as herself?

one thing i like about the holdo um impregnating herself with anakin sperm idea (or making a clone - or whatever it was) is that's a really out-of-the-box idea. but wouldn't she be doing it to save the galaxy?

eta: another factor in these matters is that i think sidious was actually chaotic evil - the empire didn't reflect his alignment. he didn't care about the law at all. he just knew he needed a semblance of law and order. snoke could be similar.

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I know this is a crazy thread already but theorizing about LastJediKnight theories would make it even crazier.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Hold on. What's this about a symbolic pose of an Egyptian Cobra? I can deal with Darth Vader's frozen sperm but what's with the cobra pose talk? What does a cobra pose look like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.