main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Back to the Rian Johnson trilogy discussion I guess.

There are many types of conversations that happen between people after they watch a film, and there are many ways that you can discussa film. Not every conversation is fruitful, and not every movie that is being talked about, is being talked about in a good way. To me his statements throughout his whole career as a filmmaker show me a person that cares more about shocking people, than for the actual product of his work. Hey, I may be wrong, but that's what I see in those statements. And this is why I am very afraid about the films he will create for Star Wars in the future, if and when that ever happens. To me it is really a huge risk for the franchise.

I also have conversations with friends about movies all the time, but we never talk about TLJ for example. There's nothing left to talk about that movie anymore with them, and we are all on the same page. Yet we still talk about the OT and the PT, and especially about the Clone Wars and Rebels, which are more fresh, and not all of my friends have caught up with all the seasons yet. The OT and the TV shows are not particularly divisive, yet we find many more things to talk about with these.

I am not a believer in the "if people either hate or love your music/movie/art, then you must have done something right". Yeah, maybe you did. But maybe you didn't. I do not think that any publicity is good publicity, at least not for the quality of the work of art.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    He likes to take risks, as can be seen in all his movies. They are all very special, and like to twist genres. He tried to do the same thing with Star Wars, and while I can understand why some people are put off by this, I for one am glad he did it. Seriously, Brick and Looper are some pretty good and unique movies, and being able to make such films is something to be commended with.

Johnson proved to me that he understands what Star Wars is all about (or my perception of it) in a way no other filmmaker of the Disney era has done, and this is what makes me very excited about his hypothetical trilogy, and why it would sadden me to see it cancelled.

I understand what you say about not every conversation being fruitful. Yet again, star wars fans can be very passionate, and they can go, and have gone, to great lenghts to express their dissatisfaction. But in some cases, it speaks more of a problem within the person than of the movie itself.

You don't have to like TLJ, or every star wars movie out there, and that is perfectly fine, this is what making movies is all about, but it's when you make it personal that conversations can become... Violent, to say the least, and completely pointless.

I understand why you say so, and why your friends like to talk about those other projects.

I get the impression that you would talk more about the TLJ if at least one of your friends liked it, and thought he could defend it.

I have actually been in this position. Being the only person in the room who loved it, and stating that it's the best star wars movie since TESB. I got some laughs out of that, but not much more than this. They have their reasons to hate it, and I have my reasons to love it.

And I looove to discuss this. I could do it all day long, but as long as it is a civilized conversation.

Time puts things into their proper places. And I agree with you: not any kind of publicity is good publicity.

But in the case of TLJ, having a split fanbase is not bad publicity either, because it proves that the movie rang true for at least a part of the public.

IlhamKamaruddin and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Cool. Yoda in Knives Out confirmed.

starfish and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Knives Out will be the first in RJ's SW trilogy. He said he didn't want the classic SW iconography for it; clearly he meant that it'll be set on Earth.

(I've seriously heard people wishing this would happen. [face_sick])

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The Unknown Regions = our Solar System.

Mind = Blown.

Jo B1 Kenobi and TCF-1138 like this.
  7. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools I Am Chiznuk star 1

Mar 1, 2019
    i heard disney let rian make knives out as consolation for canceling his trilogy. they originally wanted steven soderbergh to direct.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Come on... that's ridiculous. Have a source for that?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

Mar 1, 2019
    sources inside disney. soderbergh was at the top of their list to direct this but jj persuaded them to let rian do it after jj signed on to direct ix.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Knives Out isn't even a Disney film, genius!!!

11. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

Mar 1, 2019
    your wrong.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's a Lionsgate film, dude, and it was written by Rian Johnson. This is his own project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knives_Out_(film)

14. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

Mar 1, 2019
    lol using wikipedia as evidence.

the script was actually written by someone else and rian is just taking the credit now after a tiny rewrite. why do you think he was able to get filming started so quickly after tlj? and lionsgate is distributing it but disney is financing it.

15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Lionsgate Rules, Disney Drools :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh boy...

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  18. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    He is obviously trolling.

19. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

Mar 1, 2019
    why is it always trolling when i say something people don't want to hear? it's not trolling it's just the truth!

JustASimplePorg likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait. You're telling me the guy with the username "MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools" is a troll?

[​IMG]

You have weaved a conspiracy theory about how Rian Johnson was given a movie, being made by a separate company, by Disney as a consolation for not making his trilogy, but apparently he didn't even write the script so I gues he'd just lying about that? And your response to being called out on how ludicrous this scenario is was to **** on someone for using Wikipedia, which has a higher accuracy than Encyclopedia Britannica.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  21. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    I do actually want to hear what you have to say.

But in this particular case, what you state doesn't make a lot of sense.

22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Tell 'em!

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    So i see we having a trollday ;)

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wrong. Disney secretly bought Lionsgate in 2015.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    And I bet Lucas was the secret screenwriter of Knives Out! Conspiracy!

starfish and Outsourced like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.