main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    And this mass production approach is exactly why the ST is so derivative and threadbare. It would have been a much better story if they had hardcore fans in mind. I come here to talk SW with actual SW fans, so I'm not interested in arguments about what the general audience is willing to consume.

General audiences consume a lot of crap. Why would anyone here trumpet that as a sound approach? Marvel, by contrast, respects their past stories and characters while bringing new life to them. A much better approach.

I was responding to arguments I've heard before against the poll I want to make. The argument is that the only polls that matter have to do with what the general audience thinks, and if anyone here truly believes that, not only should we get rid of the poll option, but the entire forum itself.

And I equally don't care what the general audience wants. I'm here because I care about what serious SW fans want. And the polls I've seen here in other threads suggest that they would not be split down the middle on a Rian Johnson film. The vast majority of fans here do not want anymore of his work.

Why we are unable to make that fact clear with a poll is sad, and in my view, an unfortunate and unnecessary suppression of truth.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Whatever you say dude.

Eternal_Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh please. It's not in our job description to suppress any truth.

We don't have a poll in this thread because it wouldn't add to anything. The films are happening, whether "the vast majority of fans here" want them or not.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If they make Star Wars films specifically for the hardcore fans, we'd probably end up getting films that are incomprehensible messes. That character is a clone! That character is a reincarnation of someone we'll meet in a prequel one day! Every film has a lightsaber showdown between no less than 20 Jedi/Sith on either side. The key isn't to make films to appeal to hardcore audiences, nor to make films designed to directly appeal to the general audience. Just let filmmakers tell stories that are true to them, and hope for the best. That's all Star Wars ever did under Lucas, it's what they should be doing going forward, and I truly believe it's what both Abrams and Johnson did; for as derivative as TFA was, it's my genuine belief that's because Abrams wanted it that way, not because corporate suits gave him a mandate.

Exactly. It's just an added bonus.

5. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    I think likewise, and I'll also add: I further think that Abrams chose to do so because Disney didn't give him the time he needed to develop something more original.

I like to consider TFA a "half baked movie", as in the first hour has a perfect pace and feels fresh enough to be considered its own thing, but it's after the Takodana scene that the movie isn't about finding Luke Skywalker anymore, but about blowing up another death star.

That really annoys me and puts me off the movie every time I watch it. The pace is still there, but dramatically it takes a detour that makes more damage than good.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And as soon as you become a Disney executive that will become relevant.
    And that covers about 0.000000000000000000000000000000001% of the people who go see these films. Again, not relevant.
    The "truth" that a lot of people on this forum don't like Rian Johnson's Star Wars film? I think the secret is out.

7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    A page back there is talk of a poll for RJ's trilogy.

I thought TLJ was fine, liked TFA better.

If the rumors on this trilogy have any truth to them skewing younger like Potter and being PG, while B&W's skewing more adult, I would be 100% for this Trilogy and would line up with my 4 year old to watch it in a heartbeat. I think as long as it's communicated to keep expectations of what type of movie it will be.. (PG), it should be able to do well. A Jedi Hogwarts would be right up that alley. I want my kid to enjoy the new movies so when she gets older, she will like the older movies too. Especially if they announce this one being more for kids, and then B&W's being more Adult (PG-13, I don't need R rated Star Wars)...it would be easier for people to accept both types of Star Wars going forward, some for kids and some for adults.

The visuals in TLJ were amazing, I think a new trilogy with those same visuals could be pretty awesome geared towards kids.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't think it is lack of time though. Everything JJ Abrams writes is like that. He is a terrible finisher.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I struggle with the idea that TLJ was visually great. To me it was the worst-looking Star Wars film since ROTS.

11. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    CGI wasn't very good, but the cinematography and camera work were among the best in the franchise.

12. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    The only thing that looked bad, really bad...was Spacewalk Leia. The hyper-space jump was the most visually impressed I have been in all of Star Wars and the contrast of the Red and White on Craite was beautiful, and pretty much everything on Act-oh. IMO, TLJ had its moments.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Put me in the camp that thinks TLJ was the best shot of the new films, and one of the best shot Star Wars films overall, probably right below or at the level of TESB. I'm really excited to see what visual style Johnson/Yedlin would make when they get to largely start from scratch. I do agree that it had some weirdly dodgy CGI moments, though.

14. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Crait visually stunning (red is such a provocative color; there is a reason Dorothy’s Slippers were changed to ruby). More importantly, it is also brilliant use of evoking a bloody battle without damaging the film’s rating. That kind of talent of balancing mature themes while pleasing censorship is perfect if the trilogy ends up being more geared to a younger audience.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I find RJ’s other films to be better shot overall. Especially Looper. I think I don’t like the merging of his style with JJ’s. So I’m looking forward to what he and Yedlin do without the pressure to be consistent with a previous film or style.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I have my problems with TLJ, but Im still fine with the idea of RJ directing more.

I think TLJ was one of the most visually satisfying of the SW films. My problem stems more from a story standpoint which I feel arose from the “relay” approach to writing the ST as Mark Hamill puts it.

Abrams did his story and Johnson was left with a blank slate after that which he had to build upon, and the things that Abrams seemed to tease as being significant, Johnson didn’t seem interested in.

I think it was a case of too many cooks. And I am personally worried that by bringing Abrams back again to cap off the saga that he will try to course correct back to his original vision.

Even if Johnson doesn’t personally direct all three films in that new trilogy, I hope he at least acts as a writer to all three so that there is more of a coherent beat to the story.

I think the ST would have been better served by keeping Abrams or Johnson on for all three films. And when Trevorrow was no longer attached to episode 9, I think they should have had Johnson direct 9 instead so that he at least could have built upon his vision rather than what I fear is a tug of war between two visions.

The only other film of his that I’m familiar with is Looper, which I enjoyed. If allowed to start an all new story from the ground up, I have faith in his new trilogy. But I feel that there needs to be a single authoritative vision overseeing all three films rather than handing it off to someone completely new.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree that RJ is likely to create a far, far more interesting SW movie if he can start from scratch. JJ Johnson/ Rian Abrams just didn’t do it for me.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Knives Out has a helluva cast, so people clearly like and want to work with Johnson.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The position Rian was a very difficult one. Every saga film released after 1983 has received a great deal of hate with the exception of TFA, and that is almost not a fair comparison since TFA played it so safe in sticking close to the OT. It stands to reason that there was a high chance Rian would end up with a lot of hate for his movie, which his unorthodox methods made even greater. A non-saga film really gives him so much fairer of a shot at releasing SW movies that are highly regarded by fans. I think hatred of TFA has blinded fans to this reality- these movies are not sacred cow killers; there is every reason they could be enjoyed by fans and GA alike.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree.

Plus, I trust the man with his own toys more than I trust him with other people's toys. TLJ's biggest problem was that the only character in Abrams's toy box he really seemed interested in was Kylo; he didn't seem to understand or grasp the appeal or potential of Rey and Finn beyond a very shallow surface read, and clearly his take on Luke was in part fueled by a reaction against the conventional view of the character.

But you give him his own characters, who he can build from the ground up? He probably won't shoot himself in the foot again. Brick, Looper, etc., all show he's got a deft hand for his own characters; they may all seem to fall into certain similar archetypes, but so do Christopher Nolan's.

Plus, nothing I've seen or heard of his skills in production and directing comes off as a negative. The only real problems I have with TLJ are all founded in the writing phase, and I think he's more likely to get some help on that if he's tackling three consecutive films and could use some time to handle the sheer horror of that much production responsibility.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed. I think RJ doing his own story, with his own characters, has a higher chance of being something that will appeal to me.

22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I dunno but I want RJ's Trilogy to do something with the star dragons or the angels of Iego

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It's probably all part of the ruse that Disney is playing. They'll just have him think that he's making a Star Wars movie until production's wraps, then they won't release it.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Or Disney Executives might supervise Rian johnson and not let him go overboard like when they had to do reshoots of Rogue one and the original version of the film from what I read was a disaster..

In away the fans who hated the last jedi and those who loved it can unite and find common ground.

This just speculation on my part of the Rian Johnson trilogy if it happens and I am hoping he can win the fans trust back which he does not seem to care.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.