main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If you don’t want him doesn’t really matter because we have no credible source saying he is out and that fact basically confirms he is in.

The reason Lucasfilm won’t get rid of him is because unlike all previous directors they actually liked working with him and had no problems with him behind the scene. Like they’ll never hire Gareth and JJ back. Because those relationships are burnt out.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I mean... war is bad. Even if it's fought for the right reasons it's still bad. Rogue One does a great job of showing the costs of war. Literally every single one of our heroes die. Yes, they died for a cause they believed in but they still died. It's never a good thing when so many people die. War should always be the last resort because of how costly it is.

3. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes of course war is bad but we don’t need that told to us in Star Wars you know. Like I prefer to look at the Jedi vs sith the lore not just focus on the war. We shall see the announcements I do think it would be a mistake bringing him back like is Lucasfilm trying to upset the majority of the fan base, and you shouldn’t fan service but it’s not really fan service to not hire the man who made the most divisive movie but we shall see.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Solo massively underperformed... reason being The Last Jedi
    TROS returned less than expected... reason being The Last Jedi
    Complete rethink of the IP strategy... reason being The Last Jedi
    Just my opinion folks.

They announced it too soon thinking they had a surefire hit, and to a degree they did. Financially it was huge, but I think that was off the coat tails of TFA. Once the GA actually saw The Last Jedi, faith was lost and they didn't go back. We need something special like The Mandalorian on the big screen to get the IP back where it should be. Filoni yes, Feige yes, Johnson no.
    Again, just my opinion folks.

5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    This is such a tired argument. Say something original for a change.

I reckon Rian’s first film is actually going to fit into the Knives Out universe. Benoit Blanc used his donut theory to fall into a wormhole and is transported to Nar Shaddaa to solve the murder of a hutt.

6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    If I was Rian I would walk away from Star Wars. Too many fans are toxic and there is too much interference from Lucasfilm and Disney.

He’s just produced a fantastic film that is going to get at least one sequel. No brainer to carry on with that.

7. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Rian’s a big boy. He’s taken criticism like a gentleman and will continue to do so. Given the buttery smooth production during TLJ I also would suspect minimal studio interference.

8. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    What's tired about it? How often have I posted this? Am I not permitted to express MY opinion if it's the same as someone else's and not in line with yours?

I tell you what's tiring, lame responses to cherry picked quotes from entire posts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  9. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s tired because it’s not actually based on any evidence, it’s off topic, really amounts to nothing other than a thinly veiled “TLJ ruined Star Wars” post.

So...detective Blanc on Nar Shaddaa will need a side kick. Droid or alien? Twilek?

10. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Would you really want knives out humor in Star Wars ? Like it would take me out of the story and feel too modern Star Wars should feel timeless but that’s just me.

11. Urple

Urple Jedi Padawan

Apr 17, 2019
    Apologies if this has been addressed earlier, but there are a lot of posts to sift through here. Does anybody have thoughts or links concerning the alleged Reddit post that says Lucasfilm cancelled the RJ trilogy a long time ago?

12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Rian Johnson has his own $200m IP now. He's on to making a sequel next. A bunch of former LFL writers/producers are now working with him at his Production Co. I doubt any of them left just so they can turn around and immediately starting working on more SW.

RJ might get another SW movie (a movie, not a trilogy) someday. But it's clear he's not sitting around waiting for the call. Outside of him expressing desire to direct an episode of Mando, I wouldn't think you'd see him do SW for at least 5-6 years. And by then, he might just have moved on completely. The entire franchise could be in a very different state.

13. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Announcement - pre TLJ
    Solo flop - post TLJ
    TROS didn't meet projections - post TLJ
    Strategy rethink - post TLJ
    No mention of said trilogy - post TLJ
    RJ quotes regarding said trilogy becoming less frequent and more vague - post TLJ

Seems pretty evident to me.

Completely on topic - as they are my reasons why I don't think these RJ SW films will ever be happening. It's not a thinly veiled "TLJ ruined Star Wars" post, that's just your take on it because you don't agree.

And with that being said, if you don't agree we can discuss, or you can not reply at all. But keep your snarky comments
    to yourself. Thank you.

And I appreciate you're trying to be humourous with your Knives Out stuff, but just the thought of that sends shivers down my spine.

14. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I think you missed the part where my post was dripping in sarcasm in a clear attempt to move conversation past the endless cycle of will-it-won’t-it garbage.

Although in all honestly I’d love a detective story set in the Star Wars story. There’s some great TCW episodes that do it and I think it could make for a really interesting Star Wars movie.

Now do I actually want Knives Out in Star Wars? No. But I want it to move past boring repetitive galactic conflicts. Mando has shown this can be successful. That is what I want for the future of Star Wars.

15. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    We deff disagree on an epic Jedi sith fight as boring

16. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    No thanks. I’ll call it as I see it. If you don’t like it you can chuck me on ignore.

Lightsaber battles are cool and all but Jedi Sith is just going to feel the same as rebels v empire and resistance v FO. For me we’ve done that already twice. I don’t need to see it a 3rd time and no amount of lightsabers is gong to change that.

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is in-accurate, and I believe close to 100%.

18. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    It’s the best they could expand add more lore! Show so much diff stuff. Instead of an empire ally of dark side users.

19. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Mando is adding plenty of lore without a Jedi in sight. Solo gave us insight into criminal organizations. You can absolutely still have Sith and Jedi lore without it being some massive conflict. Small scale is better.

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I see we're spiraling again into the misguided thinking of "We haven't heard anything, therefore nothing is happening."

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If anything as proven by GOT guys having not heard something proves he hasn’t been fired yet

22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Even that doesn't prove anything. GOT guys had something else to do so the announcement was needed. We've seen LFL consistently play it close to the vest (like having Ewan lie about Obi-Wan plans).

[​IMG]

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Getting the "Intellectual Property" back where it should be??? Are you referring to Intellectual Property with "IP?" It sounds like you are just tossing the word Intellectual Property out there. So a Mandalorian film would improve the public reception of SW films?

Episode 9 is the 3rd film and it has topped 800 million. We don't know yet if it will top 1 billion worldwide while still in the theaters. That pace is a success for any film.

Complete rethink of the Intellectual Property strategy? The films are the only thing that are going away. SW films are too draining on people's energy to always have a new film announced. The established pattern for SW is to have no new films announced for several years after a trilogy is completed. The previous SW trilogies had breaks of over 7+ years before new films were announced. Disney is currently breaking this pattern with its announcement for SW films in 2022 and so on. We'll see if that announcement holds.

24. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jason Ward said Michelle Rejwan had the opportunity to hire a “familiar director” (probably Rian) but instead chose to bring back JJ Abrams for TROS. If Rejwan takes over the studio, like THR says may happen, then I don’t see her hiring Rian since she already had that opportunity but chose not to.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Hoo boy, Johnson was never going to be brought on to do TROS given the timeline and logistical complications involved. He was in the midst of finishing TLJ and was on verge of a multi-month promotional campaign. Lucasfilm needed a director who could start on TROS immediately, and Abrams was both a known commodity and available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.