main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The rise of populism on the left and right - 1920s part 2?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I can see that, but I still think things have a better chance to eventually stabilize in such a climate than when Wilders and his cronies are forced to go underground. Bad English, but I'm in a crowded room.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm not convinced we need them to not get lethargic. Sure, we did - but can´t we learn from that?
    The thing that's truly lacking is a counter-vision.

slightly_unhinged and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Theo? :p

4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Yeah, I saw it. Slip of the pen.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Vincent got off much easier. Self inflicted troubles. Oh wait,SuperWatto thought Theo's were self-inflicted too.

Le Pen takes 7 point lead over nearest rival, Sarkozy in latest poll:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rench-presidential-lead-sarkozy-a7428126.html

There is still a runoff though of the top challengers correct? The challengers might unite to defeat her then if they have enough percentage. Is it wrong of me to hope for Sarkozy at this point?

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Eh, we're due for another world war. Hope for Le Pen and Wilders and make Rylo Ken happy.

yankee8255 and Rylo Ken like this.
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rylo Ken's peak human theory

yankee8255 and SuperWatto like this.
  8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes. He's out

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

That was quick! The Les Republicans still look to win against Front Nationale correct?

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm not making any predictions, no Sirree

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well that's disheartening. It's almost like Le Pen needs to win just to show people how destructive she is and the far right is, but again, it's people's actual lives and not a game so no, have to hope to stave off FN.

12. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    We are definitely due for another world war, especially since the United States can't heat the planet fast enough by itself to cook off humanity's "others" (although I'm sure Trump will try).

It's amazing how perfectly history repeats itself. We're almost entirely back in the '20's now. Given Trump's economic views, Europe and the rest of the West will probably fall soon after the United States, which will bring us to the '30s. The question then becomess, how and with whom do we get to the '40's? And do the good guys pull it off again, once the inevitable shooting starts?

I'm thinking "probably not", if for no other reason than the law of averages. Democracy won last time; fascism will probably get the victory this time around.

13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The real ironic thing is that at this rate Germnay will be the holdout.

Alpha-Red and Vaderize03 like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah but the national polls are still holding the CDU and SPD over 50%. The AfD is going to need over 50% in order to form government, because the other parties will form government with each other sooner than the AfD.

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Darn e'rpeans with their parli-mentry system. They should be more like the good ol' US of A! We don't need a majority to rule, our foundin' faters were so smart, they made it so the person wit less votes could win.

USA! USA! USA!

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That's several months old (though) certainly relevant. She announced she's going to stand for reelection today. We'll most likely have another Black-Red coalition, though with a smaller Mar in of victory, and witg more stagnation like the Grand Coalition here in Austria.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Umm, if the "shooting starts", it's game over for all of humanity. Nukes...remember?

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So Francois Fillon looks like the front runner going into the second round of voting for the Republican primary. I don't know anything about him. Could he hold serve against Le Pen in the runoff election next year?

ShaneP likes this.
  20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

Jedi Ben and ShaneP like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He's a Thatcherite, so he'll probably save the country from destroying itself at high human cost and have the left perennially grumpy that they were yelled out for ongoing and profound mismanagement.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    An alternative take on the basic premise of this thread.

Full Article

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    One source disputes Sanders, whom Wocky has a stiffy for, is a populist so he gladly uses it. It's a bit sad, like dp4m trying to claim Clinton as progressive.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It takes a lack of humanitarianism to become someone like Fillon. IMO, people that them should never be allowed in charge of anything.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    One source disputes Ender--who loves to praise his own intellect--is correct, so rather than incorporating his response to the new perspective into the broader discussion, he offers a bizarre attack on the person that posted it. It's a bit sad, like. . .well, most discussions involving Ender Sigh.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.