main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rise of Skywalker and the Future of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Miles Lodson, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Absolutely, but there were still countless ways to resolve these plotlines. But Rian took the franchise, stuffed it with dynamite, and gleefully blew it up, with LFL and Disney cheering him on. That's something I'll never understand. :(

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There is, in my opinion, one significant difference between the Han situation and the Luke one: while both characters got out through the ringer and regressed/broken to a lot of people, Han’s “exploitation” by the script was totally about infusing the ST’s story with something going forward for all the new heroes and villains, while Luke’s “exploitation” only maybe kind of helps Kylo in the long run, and even then, not by any significant amount, and Luke is used to humiliate Kylo as a villain at the end (though how intentional that was for Kylo’s fan Rian Johnson is Unknown.)

Han at least “gives the rub” to Rey and Finn as heroes and has a relationship with them portrayed on the film to try and get Han fans on board with them (not saying to worked, but at least that was the intent), and his death is used to make Kylo seem like a more despicable villain for us to cheer against. It’s still totally justified for someone who doesn’t accept Han’s exploitation to see no real difference between his mistreatment and Luke’s... But at least fans of TFA, Finn and Rey got something out of his appearance in that film, and his exploitation was designed to help them.

And while Johnson didn’t want Luke to stand at the center of the ST throughout its run, he *did* kind of shove Rey to the side to do just that with his version of Luke, and in the long view, his story of Luke in TLJ ends up basically leading a kind of “worst of both worlds” unless you buy in entirely to his personal creative instincts. Luke is dragged through the mud, made a coward, and dies a somewhat pathetic and boring death... but he’s also taking the spotlight entirely away from Rey when it comes to the film’s climax, and leaves Kylo looking like an idiot right after he’s been made the main villain, undercutting the entire conflict of the ST.

Like, between the two characters, Han was the one stuck into a Kenobi role for a movie, and his “failure” status in an audience’s members eyes doesn’t actually impact his Kenobi-esque role that much.

The only real way to see much to Luke’s story is to either buy in completely to this being a worthy epilogue for him (which is a heavily debated point for both sides), or follow Johnson’s skewed perspective and think that Luke’s actions against Ben/Kylo make Kylo sympathetic... which requires ignoring the implications of Kylo immediately killing his classmates after setting off Luke’s danger sense, and refusing to think Rey has a spine or human personality.

At least with Han’s, it was patently easy to see what everyone got out of him there. And I’d argue that TFA making $700 million more than TLJ probably has something to do with that, and that our current predicts,net where neither the ST nor the Skywalker Saga seems to have a satisfactory ending it can reach without massive convulsions, and where those two storylines kind of oppose each other, is more the fault of TLJ than TFA.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Ford is still a box office draw in the right film. No way BR 2049 makes 300 million without him. Or even gets made, perhaps.

PendragonM likes this.
  4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    what I tend to find weird about TLJ Luke and RJ's tale is that nothing about Luke in TLJ seems complete. I never felt like Luke's story was coming to an end, it really did feel forced to me.

there is something wrong about how Luke's 1st movie in ST (TFA doesn't count), he dies. He really seems to have come back just to die.

and I felt like his relationship with Kylo, Rey and Leia was all abruptly cut off too early. It's a good reason why it never worked for me. All other mentor SW characters one never felt like their exits was at the wrong time.

guess that's what happens when Lucas/CT/Hamill all saw Luke as dying in IX or lasting as long as that.....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. Captain B

Captain B Jedi Master star 3

Oct 8, 2014
    This is just a perfect example of how they could have deepened the lore of the story and the universe and instead made it as shallow as possible.
    It rendered the whole ST almost incomprehensible.
    Luke goes to the first Jedi Temple
    Finding the map locating him is the quest of the first film. What is he doing? What is he learning?
    Nothing. I guess he just wanted a cool place to die?
    Thanks for the map anyway, dude.
    The quest was pointless.
    Who is Snoke? A dark side force user who must have been around at the same time as the empire.
    Nevermind. He’s dead. Forget about him
    I’m still not sure what the Resistance even is. Was the Republic 5 planets?
    Not 100% sure what the First Order is either? Do the people of the galaxy hate them? Fear them? Then why are there ten people in the Resistance?
    Why are the good guys good and the bad guys bad? Cause the screenplay says so.
    Such depth

Aiel, Miles Lodson, kalzeth and 5 others like this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The plan going forward is to make a Sequel Trilogy set 30 years after the end of Return of the Jedi...
    Have the Original Trilogy trio of actors agreed to be involved?..Yes, they have.
    Ok so now we have to incorporate them into a narrative that is essentially about a new generation of characters. The core focus has to be about THEIR story and journey.
    Luke, Leia and Han had their story as the triumphant young heroes
    told in the Original Trilogy...This era is NOT their time..
    Just be thankful that they’re even in it at all.
    If I remember correctly, Disney were more than prepared to tell a Sequel Trilogy story minus those three. And all some do is constantly bitch and complain lol

7. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    The whole thing in TLJ feels like a setup for Luke coming around at the end and being the Luke we all wanted in 9, which we kind of get but not much payoff. There’s too much of Luke not really being Luke and about getting him to come back, then at the end he’s just a projection of an idealized version of himself and he just disappears.

I also thought the Kyle Ren line about “but Force projection will KILL you!” was pretty lazily inserted to set it up. Like that line only exists to set up Luke’s death to make it easier to buy.

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    yes we finally got Luke being heroic after a long long slog and then he just...vanishes...that was not a remotely satisfying ending to a character I've admired since 77.

9. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I am legitimately tired of “you were upset because they weren’t the focus.” It’s right up there with “you wanted Luke to pull Star Destroyers out of the sky.” Neither of which I wanted. I wanted to see them together and still respected heroes. They could have done a cameo - that is what I expected. Not the nightmare they were shoved into because it wasn’t “their time.”

I would have been happier to not see them than what we got and I will keep on complaining, thanks.

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    the funny thing about that is there was always so much bashing for any mention of Superman Luke back in TFA-TLJ days and then the TLJ gave us Luke projecting across the Galaxy, lol. That's as exaggerated powers as you want.

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Luke finally being heroic??..As with Leia and Han, the Original Trilogy was Luke Skywalkers time to be the young hero and narrative focus...
    However, 30 years have passed since then as The Force Awakens begins. Much has transpired in the decades following the Battle of Endor.

12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I must apologise but it appears you’ve misinterpreted my post.
    My fault perhaps for not being more concise I guess.
    I most certainly am not upset because the OT trio weren’t the focus.
    My post wasn’t meant to be sarcastic in tone.
    I too actually think the ST would’ve benefited if they weren’t involved

13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    But TLJ inverts and erases the context OF that Original Trilogy Luke heroism.

Seemingly without intending to?

I don't know what you are seeing when you watch the six movie saga.
    But I see the PT Jedi fail ... then a huge contrast when Luke succeeds... which seems to imply he has learnt from the previous generation's failures and risen above them - yet while still incorporating their strengths and wisdom.
    This makes a transition to him failing worse than even they did, nonsensical and frankly quite jarring.

And look at Obi-Wan and Yoda in the OT - they lost basically everything 19 years prior.
    Were they dicks about it? No they were quite irreverent at times and charming.
    And they didn't give up, they truly passed the torch. Yoda dies when his time comes, after 900 years... after setting Luke up with the wisdom to win.
    And Obi-Wan only let Vader kill him to cause a distraction so the MF could escape, to watch over Luke as a spirit, and sneakily be a martyr to motivate Luke to avenge him. Which of course Luke thankfully doesn't do.

Obi-Wan had little left he could contribute physically.
    Luke on the other hand... it didn't feel like it was his time.

I can see a parallel to Obi-Wan's end in Luke's force-projected last stand, but Kenobi had already left a far better impression on Luke than Luke on Rey.

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ... Im still confused at the intent of your sarcasm.
    Eta- lol you said "wasn't sarcastic". Sorry.
    Still confused though lol

15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh well **** happens...

16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    more like Kenobi was a dead men walking and he knew it. There was no way he was going to win vs Vader. Once Vader sensed him, he wasn't making it out alive and by that point his lightsaber skills have become very rusty too. And he only allowed Vader to kill him once he saw Luke and even gave a smirk looking at son and father, lol.

last part and even more reason why Kenobi had more impact than Luke did.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I even had hope until the end that we would at last get a reason why Luke left everyone alone and not helping his friends and family. Like he was trying to protect them from a darker threat. Not him having PTSD and wanting to die. With the ending of TFA such a storyline of Luke doing something important was still possible. TLJ killed these chances forever for no reason. :(

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    so are IX rumors about Zombie Luke fighting Palps? If any force ghost comes to flesh to fight Palps then man, these new characters really are weak sauce.

19. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Where is that rumour?

20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    JP rumor
    When it looks like all Hope is lost, the ghosts of Luke and Leia show up to aid Rey. Together they overpower the Emperor and end his darkness once and for all.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Nothing about them coming back in the flesh.

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    flesh or no flesh,doesn't really matter in the end they need dead people to help them in the battle, weak sauce.

and there has been no indication that force ghosts can be this influential otherwise were where Yoda/Kenobi when Luke faced Vader/Palps? Seems like they might be using those old ROTJ ideas.....

23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    They aren't just helping with why old villain though. Do you think Yoda is 'weak sauce'?

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    what does Yoda have to do with anything? He never interfered in the next gen combat when dead and only did so when he was alive like in PT.

Jedi Knight Fett and nightangel like this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    He also couldn't beat Palpatine on his own.