main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rise of Skywalker and the Future of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Miles Lodson, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

Thats because at the time the PT wasn't getting the same love it is today. So they were protecting their investment to only remind people of what they love.

I mean even that last trailer with dark Rey had more OT clips in it then PT clips, and slightly more then the ST even.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    godisawesome likes this.
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    OT, but the problem to me is literally rewatchability. I watch ST all the time. I have rewatched TNG, DS9 and the OS, and VOY and ENT are both partially rewatched. With classic Trek, you can pick any random episode and watch it. With Discovery, like all modern shows, each season is a strangely written 12 hour-ish movie. There is almost no rewatch appeal to me in that. It doesn’t have the same one-episode sci-fi arcs that really get you thinking. I just think for me at least, modern Trek will fade from memory a year after it ends, and I’ll still be paying for Netflix so I can pull up random TNG episodes.

3. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    I believe this totally.....it also basically killed the chances for further writers/directors of the ST to use any kind of POLITICS.....

(waves hand dismissively)..You don't wanna go there....

"This will begin to make things right"

Miles Lodson likes this.
  4. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    It was completed way ahead of time, as I recall. Which may be a pity. All discussions of TLJ's quality are completely YMMV, but some repeat viewings on Netflix convince me its primary issue is it needed more heavy-handed editing. For the most part, the general direction it takes is either sound or necessitated by what preceded it in TFA. To me, TLJ holds up pretty well. But where the movie chafes is when Johnson tries to be too cute by half, an all-too-frequent occurrence.

5. TheDutchman

Nov 10, 2015
    yup....i understand from a bean counters point, why it was done.

But i never agreed with that approach and was extremely turned off by JJ and his hangers on (Pegg et.al) arrogance and subtle disrespect of Lucas.

And that shortsighted approach has, in my opinion, made this ST story awful from the start, in the middle and not sounding any better for it's conclusion (if recent rumors are accurate)

Def Trooper, kalzeth and Miles Lodson like this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I feel like they tried to appeal to the Twilight crowd, seemingly without realizing that the Twilight craze died down years ago.

7. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    It's played out as you would expect short term thinking to play out.

kalzeth and eko32eko7 like this.
  8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think they weren’t exclusively going for Twilight. I think it was a YA effort generally with heavy emphasis on both Twilight and Hunger Games. Hunger Games just showed up more in TFA, and Twilight more in TLJ.

I’ve given it some thought and I suspect that part of the problem is both Twilight and Hunger Games’ source material is written by women, and then in LF they were interpreted mainly by men. I have long had the impression that LF doesn’t get how to treat/write female characters (like I think they’re behind mainstream Hollywood, which is pretty bad), so they relied on where female leads have been most successful for guidance, ie YA. The problem is RJ and JJ clearly aren’t fans of YA and don’t really get it. At no point in Rey’s trilogy has a female writer played a role in crafting her story. KK doesn’t care because she just wants box office hits. The outcome was imo a terribly realized shell of a protagonist, and too bad the protagonist is the most important part of the story.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Kylo as portrayed thus far is a bit of a blank slate emotionally, with people filling in the gaps both good and bad in their heads. Based just on what he does he's evil. He says he's not, or is conflicted, but his actions say otherwise. As my mom said "don't tell me you're sorry, show me you're sorry."

Def Trooper likes this.
  10. Broom Kid

Broom Kid Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2019
    The Prequel Trilogy was also marketed almost exclusively with Original Trilogy music. It's some of the most recognizable and memorable music composed in the 20th century. The trailer for Episode III also started with OT footage before transitioning to new material.

This isn't really some weird manipulative conspiracy to downplay or demean past movies at the expense of new ones or anything like that. It's just what you do when you're trying to grab attention during your commercial.

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually think the conviction in Kylo's value makes sense from the standpoint of what the character's potential is as a concept + Driver's clear skill as an actor.

Driver is a clear "get" for LFL, considering they grabbed him right as he was transitioning from TV to film and right before he started getting Oscar noms. He's clearly capable of getting whatever the script needs him to get over across. It's totally justifiable to put faith in him.

It's more about the kind of hectic portrayal of Kylo, his perceived role in both films suggesting that LFL and Kylo fans are seeing what they want while simultaneously not quite actually getting it into the movie... which leaves TFA's more villain-specific showing of the character as his actual substance, leading to TLJ's more pro-Kylo tone creating a horrible clash that makes Kylo seem *worse* somehow.

I mean, I think that Johnson, Kennedy and LFL are generally more invested in the part of Kylo that was peeled away from the original male lead, Sam/Skylar - while Abrams was focusing on getting the rest of the male lead character as Sam/Skylar morphed into Finn, and Kylo remained mostly the Jedi Killer. So some saw Kylo as mostly the villain and antagonist on the rise, and that was the story put into TFA, but TLJ reflects the belief that the character is supposed to be more of a tragic fallen son... but without changing anything he's done and without revealing anything more about his past or personality.
    Eh, not much. there's some scuttlebutt that Hidalgo is moderately irritated at Han's treatment by TFA, but he's a professional, and that LFL would rather have been the only production company rather than have Bad Robot take a huge slice of the responsibility. But these guys are professionals. It's not personal.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    eh Driver's a good actor but I don't get all the praise he's gotten as Kylo either.

kalzeth and AhsokaSolo like this.
  13. Broom Kid

Sep 16, 2019
    I just wanna make sure I'm understanding this morning's line of discussion: Is the "fawning over Kylo" being directed at various factions of the fandom, or are people honestly believing the creatives behind the scenes are "fawning" over him?

If it's the former, then we're less discussing the content of the films and more discussing our dislike or misunderstanding of other people's reactions to the film's content, and effectively reviewing the audience, not the movie. Which is fine, that can lead to pretty interesting conversation as well. But if it's the latter, that's a very odd way to describe people like J.J. Abrams, Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, Larry Kasdan, etc. "Fawning" suggests they're romantically attached to him and doing favors for the character in hopes of some reciprocation of attention? Which is obviously not how any of that works.

It really does presuppose a creative atmosphere where the people who write these stories and imbue these characters with the ideas and themes they need to represent for the story's overall purpose to be fulfilled consider the characters to be people they perform favors for, play favorites with, and otherwise treat as if they're sentient beings who can autonomously reward them for their loyalty or something. And I don't think conflating audiences cheering and/or rooting for characters as if they're sports teams or pro wrestlers or romantic possibilities with how the creatives execute their ideas is a good idea.

Characters in movies aren't people who exist to rack up W's and L's and their record at the end of the movie dictates where they stand on the characterization leaderboard. They're ideas given voice and movement as a means to express larger themes and lessons to the audience.

14. TheDutchman

Nov 10, 2015
    They absolutely tried to make it clear they were distancing themselves from the PT during the marketing of TFA.

15. Broom Kid

Sep 16, 2019
    I remember people latching onto Hamill saying "Practical Effects" in the sizzle reel as proof there was an anti-prequel bias at Lucasfilm and in The Force Awakens, but that's pretty flimsy, especially considering the number of prequel era references in the movie proper, as well as the constant prequel acknowledgement and build-up by Lucasfilm through their TV shows and novels and comics at the time as well. The charge that TFA existed to shame the prequels was never super-solid, to me.

But that all aside, the idea that using OT footage and music in the marketing for TFA was a swipe at the prequels doesn't make sense considering the prequels themselves used OT footage and music in their own marketing. Were the prequels swiping at themselves?

When you sell Star Wars to people, you sell the big moments and the recognizable stuff. Lightsabers, spaceships, and John Williams' music. It's appropriate and just smart. Besides that, it's the first direct sequel to the original trilogy since the Ewok Adventures, LOL. There's obviously going to be a lot of OT nostalgia being called upon, because the story dictates you HAVE to call back to it.

16. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    @Broom Kid I don't think it's really debatable whether or not Lucasfilm, Bad Robot or Disney used anti-PT angst as fuel for the marketing of TFA.

HevyDevy likes this.
  17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But it doesn't matter how good an actor is, if the material he is given is subpar. An even better example is Mark Hamill. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his acting in TLJ, but the material he had to work with... needs no comment.

18. TheDutchman

Nov 10, 2015
    Name more than 3

I do agree with you here, talking specifically about using music. You were right to call me out on that in my original post.

19. Broom Kid

Sep 16, 2019
    It's pretty obviously debatable. I don't think they really did that. I think sensitive prequel fans who were jumpy after having a couple decades of crap flung in their direction started reacting poorly to any suggestion their fandom for those films was worthy of contempt, and essentially took to heart things that weren't really criticisms, much less part of some organized campaign to boost The Force Awakens at the expense of the prequels.

And again, it doesn't really matter anyway, because fandom (and its resultant infighting) wasn't much of a focus at all in the marketing for The Force Awakens, and the marketing campaign for that movie ended up being responsible for (at the time) the biggest opening weekend ever and also the biggest domestic take of all time - and under that particular spotlight of unprecedented success, Lucasfilm never once shied away from placing Prequel-era content (and celebrations of that era) directly in that spotlight.

20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think they did shy away abit during TFA. while there were a couple of references thrown in here and there, i do kinda get the impression someone onboard did tell them to stick closer to the OT while really carefully acknowledging the PT.

Even the first battlefront game in 2016 had no PT content in it. the closest was getting temuera morrison to voice bob fett for that game.

I think over time the PT fans have made their voices heard and the doors have opened abit more for PT content.

Although saying that, lets be fair with TFA. JJ did get Ewan McGregor to do a line for the film. its not one you would know if someone didn't mention it, but its still there. and its possible they may have thought about including Hayden too if you go by concept art, but its hard to say.

godisawesome likes this.
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think he's more a case study in how even great actors can't elevate a vacancy of material, or overcome audience impressions from an earlier movie.

For instance, I would argue that a) Driver had a greater opportunity to show his range in TFA than in TLJ in spite of wearing a mask for most of its time, but that b) Kylo Ren has not been a deep enough character in the scripts to totally showcase his full skills as of yet. Some of the lack of depth is accidental, in my mind; Johnson, I know, views Kylo as a deep character, but I can see where he encouraged Driver to conceal more of what the character's feeling and thinking and give a more introverted slant to his personality, trying to restrain Driver's personal charisma so that it *should* come through subtly and reveal the character's layers... but where, if the character's main motivations are a mystery and his previous behavior readily supplies banal explanation and the current story is actually kind of static, well. he's instead going to seem flat and shallow.

And no actor looks good when the character is flat and shallow, unless its a comedy.

Now, I'm not saying that TFa is a tour d'force performance, but that, even with the restraints Driver had in the film, he got to give a slightly better performance. Driver, much like Boyega, had to show he could easily command the screen while wearing a full costume and mask, and use posture and body language. He uses both in TFA and TLJ. But he also had to show an ability to shift between the way Kylo wants to be seen and the way Kylo actually is, and that's more complex... but still somewhat limited by being a bad guy the heroes are to take the spotlight from (which is not bad thing.) Kylo also simply has a more concrete character arc with his breakdown at the end of TFA than he does in TLJ.

The end result in TFA is for a very dependable villain for the purposes of his utility as a foil to the heroes and for engaging the audience's anger and disgust, which Driver executes admirably. But LFL wants him to be more than that, and Johnson assumed he was more than that... but never proved it. This kind of leaves Driver playing Poker with the audience in a rigged game for his character but against his skills as an actor: he's trying to let out specific motivations and internal conflicts that serve his character's more protagonistic role in the film from behind a stoic facade, BUT! those motivations and internal conflicts mean nothing to audience members who don't love the character and already assume deep things about him, so a lot of Driver's efforts are basically wasted by the script.

Something similar happens to Ridley, since she has to try and sell what amount to laughably stupid emotions and reactions from a character with no grounding in organic characterization. She can try all she likes, but it's hard to make something out of nothing.
    I wouldn't say "fawning" is the right term, but "dangerously biased" would; not a physical bias, of course, because that would be nonsense, but "poisonous" to the dramatic underpinnings of the story and the strength of its characterizations and ability to really engage the audience in the intended fashion. And that most definitely is a recognizable phenomena in fiction, and has caused severe damage to properties and franchises before.

And it is primarily limited right now to material associated with TLJ, or in BTS comments by the directors. From a functional standpoint, there is no real "dangerous bias" towards Kylo in TFA's script; Kylo could still be Abrams's, Kasdan's, or Kennedy's favorite character, but it didn't stop them from making sure that Rey, Finn, and Han all react and are written with a perspective that approaches Kylo "correctly" from an in-world perspective. The character is an obvious and deplorable villain, and the script treats him as such. Now, Abrams's BTS comments trying to explain Kylo's headspace may show some bias for Kylo at Han and Leia's expense when trying to explain why Kylo is evil, but it's subdued, and mostly doesn't count because it didn't make it to the film.

The bias becomes dangerous to the story in TLJ. Kylo Ren is treated as a more sympathetic character than he was before, in a way that negatively impacts Rey's characterization (not her character arc), and in a way that undermines the central conflict between the two , and seems to favor him even at Luke's expense, though that's accidental, all while exposing a double standard that undermines the moral standards by which the audience is supposed to judge characters. Rey having sympathy for Kylo could only happen after intense writing for both characters to justify that; without it, Rey's compassion for Kylo becomes shallow rather than deep, and her decisions become unbelievable rather than believable, scraping away some of her layers for the sake of Kylo Ren, who's just as blatantly detestable and obviously so as he was before

But its the double standard that really wreaks havoc. TLJ clearly has a more forgiving view of Kylo than it does for its other villains, and even seemingly its heroes. Luke has apparently done something reprehensible by sensing a threat to his students and the Galaxy and reflexively igniting his lightsaber over that threat in the form of his sleeping nephew. Finn has become somewhat selfish and cowardly for valuing the safety of his friend over that of the Resistance. But Kylo? The guy who maimed Finn almost to death? The guy who casually orders a mass murder in his first appearance? The guy who the backstory says then proved Luke's premonition right by killing the other students who wouldn't join him? Well... the audience and Rey can't hold that too against him, can they? Rey can be more angry at Luke for igniting his lightsaber than she can show even just curiosity about the dead students, right? And Luke should definitely feel like betraying Kylo's the bigger deal rather than walking through the corpses of his students, right? And it's tragic that Kylo's selfishness keeps hurting him, isn't it? And I mean, c'mon, Finn go his spine cut to ribbons and almost died, but we can make fun of that while treating Kylo' face getting a scar as a big deal. We have to, don't we? And the whole time, stormtroopers are just killed willy-nilly and earning whoop from Rey in joy... when we know that they're all sharing Finn's backstory...

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean from a cynical marketing standpoint the OT is the thing that the Star Wars fans really has no controversy surrounding it.

Yes PT fans are older now and there purchasing power has grown, but the PT still has it's controversies (Some more legit than others) and like the ST the unity isn't there.

Now obviously the ST is still in production so in ten years or so will see how many ST fans grow up and if they outnumber OT and PT fans one day IDK?

But in terms of marketing it's easier to market the OT since it's the least controversial of the trilogies.

23. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    It's not even remotely debatable.

You didn't respond to what I said. Which is that they used anti-PT angst as fuel for the marketing of TFA.

I did not say they were actively bashing the PT in the TFA marketing. But it is transparently obvious - from the world-building, to the costume design, to the character arch-types selected, to the statements about practical effects, lack of CGI, even to shooting on film - that they used this angst to create the impression in their target audiences that "these are not the prequels!"

But don't take my word for it:

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/w...t-star-wars-the-force-awakens-and-more-95863/

Kasdan quote: "Kasdan quietly points toward the prequels as an example of what happens when there’s not so much care in revisiting “Star Wars” galaxy. “Some things had been given away without enough value during the period when I was away from the saga. You’d just see too much, you’d see it too fast, there was no specialness to the presentation of something which is iconic,” he said."

https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2015/08/19/disneys-solution-to-the-problem-of-the-star-wars-prequels/

Quote: "The Mouse’s strategy for selling fans on the sequel trilogy is as much about distancing itself from the prequels as it is about reinforcing its ties to the original trilogy. Everyone involved in the new Star Wars projects, from J.J. Abrams to Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy and numerous other cast and crew members, have talked our ear off about the emphasis on practical effects, minimal CGI, authentic props and costumes. It’s not enough that the original three leads are returning. Disney wants to assure us that its blue milk came from the same cows as the original trilogy."

Glitterstimm and kalzeth like this.
  24. TheDutchman

Nov 10, 2015
    Always thought Kasdan was an arrogant man. Never saw this quote before, but it reinforces it tenfold.

What a dumb way of looking at GL's work on the PT.

25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    This is definitely a problem for how this character will be seen, and I agree that having a female writer would've helped round out her character much better. They play it too safe with her at moments when she really should be brought to her knees (as a "male protagonist" would, normally) and the hardest moments for her character emotionally don't really pack that much punch, which removes audience investment.

Despite being a less charismatic charatcter, Jyn Erso actually had some challenges and difficulties, so it's not like we haven't seen this from Disney's Star Wars.

That is one of the encouraging things about the Palpatine reveal, even if I don't totally buy it. If JJ and Daisy can actually sell us on her finding out the worst parts of her nature and get us to buy into her actually potentially going dark, this could save her overall arc. She's been too perfect up to this point, and adding a significant flaw or imperfection could go a long way.

Still, spoilers seem to indicate that she remains heroic throughout. It would be really cool if they did something where Kylo starts to see the light while Rey gets pulled to the darkness and they tease a switcheroo in the final act. I don't think that's what'll actually happen, though.

christophero30 and AhsokaSolo like this.