main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rise of Skywalker and the Future of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Miles Lodson, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I agree with they tried to distant themselves form the prequels during TFA, but after that they brought many elements of it back. In Rouge one, Rebels, comics and novels, TLJ, Solo, Battlefront 2 and return of TCW. I think the prequels will aslo be in someway in TROS. We also have fallen order. SO I think the PT is strong now and will influence up coming projects like the Mandalorian, Cassion and Obi wan seres.

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    With the Emperor being in TROS, we have a real chance to retcon TLJ's portrayal of Luke. Imagine if Luke went to the Jedi island because he sensed the impossible: That the Emperor was alive! On the island he was able to more strongly channel the Force to confirm it, and Luke was in the middle of working on finding a way to defeat the Emperor...

When suddenly he was interrupted by Rey. Whoa! She throws a wrench in the works. She really complicates things. She is the other half (along with Kylo) of the dyad. Luke then concocts a desperate plan:

1. He pretends to be disillusioned and crazy.

2. He arranges for his own death.

Then, in TROS, he reveals to Rey and to the audience what he has REALLY been up to: It's all been his grand scheme to defeat the Emperor! He always knew that the First Order and Snoke were small peanuts; a feint used by the Emperor to distract the galaxy while he put it in checkmate. Pretending to be a loser in TLJ was always part of Luke's strategy to defeat the Emperor. Luke then uses Rey as the point of the spear in the Emperor's final defeat.

If TROS is something like that, it will make me re-evaluate the entirety of the Sequel Trilogy.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Luke said flat out that he went to the island to die because he is a failure. It will be very difficult to retcon that.

4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There isn't a reason for retconning anything, nor is there any reason to assume that JJ Abrams will retcon anything.

Luke went into exile because he thought the Jedi failed at what was their job. He made it abundantly clear that he hoped that taking himself out of the picture would cause the force to find someone else to represent the light, someone who wouldn't just cling to the teachings of the Jedi and thus hopefully not make the same mistakes as they did. That's what his first lesson to Rey is all about: neither the force, nor its lightside, belong exclusively to the Jedi.

And that is a whole lot better storyline than some contrieved plot about in reality having done all that to deal with Palpatine.

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I am actually quite amazed by the turn around the PT has had with audiences. after so many years of them being crapped on non-stop, and then when episode 7 was announced there were people talking about how Disney would ignore the Prequels because they sucked.

I still remember when it was rumored Jimmy Smitt was back in Rogue one i expected people to hate the news so much that Disney were acknowledging the PT. because that seemed to be how it was for years on end... but checking twitter i noticed people were actually quite excited he was coming back to play bail organa. and ever since the interest has been growing and growing till we are now at a time where Disney release a Han Solo movie, in the style of the OT... and many come out of the movie talking about Darth Mauls return. and then Disney themselves release that very clip online presumably to gain more interest for the Han Solo movie.

And now you have Ewan McGreggor returning as Obi Wan and he probably spent years with hearing negative talk over the PT. but then suddenly he walks on stage announcing he is coming back and the audience goes crazy.

There is also alot of support for Hayden to return now and even Samuel L Jackson shows off his lightsaber prop to Brie Larson who was hugely excited to see it.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    But nobody has ever said that the Force belongs to the Jedi, not in the OT or anywhere else. They just tap into the light side of it and use it to be guardians of peace. Rian switched things up to fit his own narrative.

7. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    The scene is written from Luke's perspective, not necessarily the perspective of the creator. It fits with where Luke's mindset is at that point in the story.

8. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    "He betrayed and murdered your father."

"Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"
    "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young...She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad."

DarthRosie likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    OT and ST is full of points of view.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Luke: i came here to die... from a certain point of view...
    Rey: Huh?

Def Trooper and HevyDevy like this.
  11. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    How exactly does it fit? What could possibly make Luke think that the Force belongs to the Jedi, all of a sudden? We have never heard anything like that until TLJ.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    even Hamill admitted he disagreed with the treatment of Luke until he went into damage control mode.

kalzeth, Aiel, Glitterstimm and 3 others like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    he disagreed at first yes but after a while, he accepted it.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together."

the force was always a everywhere and everyone thing, not exclusive to anyone. People being more attuned to it doesn't change anything.

15. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    It fits because Luke wants the Jedi to end. Rey believes - and so does the rest of the galaxy - that the Jedi are the key to bringing about balance and for the light to win out over darkness. Luke is trying to disabuse her of this notion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Actually, I don't think he's ever accepted Luke's characterization in TLJ. He did accept his professional responsibility to execute Johnson's vision, but it seems that he never did and still doesn't "like" how the character/story went.

kalzeth, Aiel, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  17. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Exactly. The dialogue between Rey and Luke is like a meta conversation between a SW fan and someone who has never seen SW before, which is awful. :(

kalzeth, Aiel, Glitterstimm and 6 others like this.
  18. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    “To say that if the Jedi die the LIGHT DIES IS VANITY DO YOU FEEL THAT.”

How is the message here not clear?

jeangreyforever likes this.
  19. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    You’re dead wrong.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    eh he's promoting a movie and a pro so grain of salt. giant grain of salt.

21. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    Ok so when Mark Hamill flat-out says “I was wrong” you’re just gonna handwave that like it’s meaningless? Gotcha. Whatever fits your bias and validates your opinion, I guess.

DarthRosie and jeangreyforever like this.
  22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean we can't know for absolute sure unless as we spoke to MH in confidence. But we can't so I think we should take his word for it.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I take his word for it when he said he had to play it as Jake Skywalker.

25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, but he also said that he enjoyed the final film.