main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rise of Skywalker and the Future of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Miles Lodson, Apr 12, 2019.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, I don’t think I quite got the total context for that article: it’s supposed to be LFL isn’t big on creative freedom now, right?

As in, after 2/4 productions were chaotic and required a lot of reshoots while 1/4 was done with two production companies instead of the designated single one, and the last 1/4 was the only one done successfully by the single production company, but was also highly divisive, so *now* LFL is getting more picky and involved?

Because I can totally believe that. Regardless of anyone’s opinions on the two released Sequel Films right now, I’d easily believe in LFL feeling they have to be more proactive with their directors after RO and Solo, just because of the sheer chaos they had to put up with and the sheer embarrassment of Solo’s performance.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I never liked the idea of the Mandalorians being the Antagonist in a post ST world...For me the Spirit realm and a sorta Avatar Legend of Korra Harmonic Convergence seems like the next step in terms of Saga stuff. Seems way more natural on what Star Wars as a saga 1-9 feels to be going.

Now link the Mandalorian to a Old Republic Scenario by building up there past in a more familiar OT setting (Which in some ways they are doing with the Old Republic and the Jedi/Sith conflicts if vagluey) I can get behind.

Also Bob Iger said films will be going on Hiatus as more TV shows are in development so TV no matter what is the "Wave of the Future" for a while.

ALTHOUGH Marvel through it's Disney + shows might be doing the TV will be important to movie scenario if Wanda Visison is like a quasi sequel to what she is doing in Doctor Strange 2, so Star Wars could do internconectivness that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2019
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s fine. In fact, Star Wars TV is much more promising than film. We’d have to be blind not to see that.

But that doesn’t preclude getting Mando antagonists (or protagonists...) on the big screen after four seasons of the Mando show.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I definitely think getting Mando's on film will happen one day.

I was just saying for me personally I'd like to see it as a gateway into the past and not the future...But i'm always someone who feels Star Wars is not a "Forward moving" franchise same way Star Trek is ...It's one of the reasons I dislike the old Legacy Comics....among many ways.

In fact I think using TV to build up the past to transition to the past and the Old Republic on film is a good strategy, especially if Dave and Dan were planning on doing a Jedi Origin Story.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t disagree. I want to see a lot more of the Star Wars past. However, I’d like to see the past done primarily (or even exclusively) on TV, given that it’s a much better world-building medium. And in that context, I’d like to see the films focus on the future.

jedi-soon likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That would be interesting but I can’t see that happening.

I think the movies will pain the broad strokes of what the “Era” (Old Republic) looks like and then the TV shows will then get more in the nitty gritty .

It’s the heirachy of Canon (I don’t care if they say it’s all equal it’s not there is heirachy and we all know it;p)

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sure. But I honestly think we’re in the late stages of a pretty big shift where TV/ streaming is going to be at the top of that hierarchy.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I dont know if this should be right here but intresting things talkd of Dve about including this trilogy.

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Sounds like LFL setting it up to give Filoni the keys to the Star Wars story.

Actual article link - https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/dave-filoni-george-lucas-star-wars

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I don't know what vibes you are getting but I can't see the Mandalorians being built up as antagonists.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Sounds like it has been slowly from beginning, with KK talking to him about all star wars and him learning to make live action with learning from TFA and the last jedi.

13. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I seriously doubt that because the film stories don't feel like anything Filoni would have done. LFL has used Lucas' name as cover in the past and that part feels similar.

14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That's a fairly easy way to ignore information that doesn't conform to a certain narrative...

Darth Chiznuk and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m just presenting exactly what I want as a theory about what could happen.

16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Just seems to go against the grain of how Filoni has guided the Mandalorians in the animations and the character of the Mandalorian himself.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think him and KK have good standing together and he was there for both movies to learn, I think if made TFA he might have made some changes, in TLJ i think the ac would be more or less the same. He likes both movies. I think Filoni is KK most creatuve guy and she knows it and will use him to what he does best and try to get him to make movies.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. It would require a breakdown in the Mandalorian arc. But the seeds of their authoritarianism is there in TCW and Rebels. With the Saxon clan’s Imperial collusion, and Pre Viszla’s belief in strongman leadership. Wouldn’t take much to flip the switch again, and have an Empire-minded Mando promise a new era of galactic glory. I have no real indication of this possibly happening, though I do think the Mandalorian show will influence the film-verse a lot more than we think, as I suspect it will be hugely popular. Maybe even on the GoT scale.

But again, I’m really just describing what I want as a plausible occurrence. Because I want it to happen. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  19. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Like some of you, I would like to see an epic version of the entire saga as a TV show. Having the opportunity to experience the disolution of the imperial senate by Palpatine, the destruction of Alderaan from Bail's point of view, Yoda training Luke with a light-saber, Mon Mothma ruling the Alliance during the entire civil war, etc... would be a dream come true. But, I have a hard time believing that it will happen, for the same reason that we didn't get an official release of the original OT on Blu-ray. I don't think Lucas left that door open when he sold Star wars. I bet he made it clear in the contract that his six movies could not be altered or remade in any way.
    For better of worse, Disney will have no other choice than to come up with new movies and original TV shows.

Seeing an Obi-wan show on Tatooine with Ewan back in action will be incredibly cool though, so I don't complain. :)

20. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    “I don't think Lucas left that door open when he sold Star wars. I bet he made it clear in the contract that his six movies could not be altered or remade in any way.”

Lucas is foremost an excellent businessman. He would have done no such thing as it kills the value of Lucasfilm. The Sequel trilogy only exists to make Lucasfilm sellable and valuable. And I take my hat off to him.

Big problem would have been Fox and it’s ownership of ANH.... but that’s been defeated now.

A remake is coming - oh yes. I just hope it’s far enough in the future for me to be dead and not have to suffer it.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Traditionally the trilogies have always demarcated eras. Eventually tv began to fill in the generous spaces in between. They have so much room to play in now.

I'd like to see them develop animated films/trilogies exploring SW history and defining eras pre-TPM delivered likely via streaming. They could crank these out just based on some of the ideas in this thread.

I question how many different Darths/Jedi vs. Sith stories they can do at the cinema before it begins to lapse into critical self-parody. But maybe thru greater exposure one or more of these romps thru history could garner enough support for a live action remake.

Movies at the theater in general tho probably better serve the brand if they keep the story moving forward. Each one needs to be a must-see event with the highest stakes possible. Totally epic, and a real Star Wars movie with John Williams' theme and an opening crawl.

And the day they remake one of GL's films is the day I check out!

kalzeth likes this.
  22. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    If you look at how poorly the merchandise has sold and how bad Galaxies edge is doing I'd say Disney can't wait for this Trilogy to be over. I also think that's why we have a Dave Filoni Mandalorian TV show released a month before EP 9.

It's kind of saying look we know we made a complete mess of this trilogy but look we can still make good (non woke) SW.

If the Mandalorian does well I could see another trilogy set in the old republic and Iii bet a pound to a penny Kathleen Kennedy her the force is female and her agenda BS will be nowhere near it.

kalzeth likes this.