main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread **UNTAGGED SPOILERS WITHIN**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 16, 2019.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Here's another comic, this time Board Safe and The Emperor's New Groove flavored.

pronker and gizkaspice like this.
  2. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [face_laugh] Every time I think about Old Palpy's ridiculous return, I watch this animated video and it somehow all makes sense to me... (canon until further notice as far as I'm concerned....LOL)

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I am working on a little story about Mrs Palpatine serving tea and cake to Daddy Palpatine and dear Mister Vader and his lovely son on the Death Star II.

It should clear up the perceived plotholes.

pronker, Lady_Misty and gizkaspice like this.
  4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Now that I love Ben Solo, am I supposed to be excited about comic books like The Rse of Kylo Ren?

I can see reading ancillary material in order to fill in the gaps in a larger story, but here I'm just not intrested.

Having to consult visual dictionaries and novels and such in order to get the story I should get on film is work I don't want to do.

On the other hand reading the EU was a completely different story. Pun totally intended.:p

pronker and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Agree @brodiew. It's one thing to see what characters were doing x stuff or why some things fell apart but it's a completely different thing when you need to read books/comics/visual guides to get story details that they didn't put in the movie.

My sister Jean was so mad when I told her that Ben not being responsible for the destruction of the Jedi Academy and only killed a fellow student in sel defense before running away was only addressed in a comic and not TRoS. Not many people watching the movie are going to read the expanded material and out of that small percentage that will not everyone will read all of the material.

She still is confused about the Knights of Ren despite me explaining that they were a Dark Side Cult that existed before Ben joined the First Order and that they are NOT the surviving Jedi Students. She is very confused why Luke would have mentioned that six other students survived and why there would be six Knights of Ren if there wasn't supposed to be a connection between the two groups and was really annoyed when I mentioned that Luke doesn't really know what happened that night and apparently didn't do any further digging into it before disappearing. So in her mind and possibly many others the Knights of Ren = Luke's other surviving students since they are never mentioned again in the movies.

EDIT: I will admit that I did play a small part into her confusion as there wasn't any information about the Knights of Ren and the only things we knew was something that I wasn't sure was Canon or not that Ben had runaway from Luke's Jedi Academy and fell in with a Dark Side Gang but that was it and than we got TLJ and with the information that six of Luke's students weren't accounted for and it seemed oddly specific when you consider that there are six Knights of Ren and TLJ didn't do anything to dissuade the comparison.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    pronker and brodiew like this.
  6. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Is this a Sequel issue or a Star Wars issue in general? I remember having watched the prequel movies and things like the Visual Dictionary, etc were like these supplemental gems where you could gain more information about your favorite characters/species/etc NOT have to "figure things out" because the movies plot didn't explain them. This is bizarre to me.

7. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @gizkaspice I found the Visual Dictionary filled with little gems too and while I found at least TFA and TLJ filled with gems and insights like the ring Rose shows the children in the Canto Bight stables was used by Senators with Rebel Sympathies to let other sympathetic Senators know that they were on the same side. I have heard that for TRoS it contained anything from contradictory information to information not included in the movie that would have been useful to know while watching lke the fact that the people that Kylo kills in the beginning of TRoS are a cult of Vader Worshipers or something like that and not innocent people trying to prevent a dangerous object falling into the wrong hands.

gizkaspice likes this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    My personal headcanon for how Rey ended up being Darth Sheev's granddaughter is that some distant female relative of his was dumb enough to be his booty call, but later she realizes how stupid that was, so when she realizes she's knocked up she doesn't tell him. Like she basically just totally ghosts him, and he doesn't care because he has zero loyalty to anybody but himself anyway.

So anyway, this woman has her baby, and it's a boy, and she raises him all by herself and teaches him how to be a good person, and he doesn't really question it until he's like, a teenager. And then he's like, "So Mom, you literally never talk about my dad, but since I'm here, I obviously have one, right?" And his mom is basically like, "Yeah, your father is an evil weeniehead, and you totally don't want him to find you ever."

So the boy basically becomes a drifter, because if you don't have a permanent address, it's harder for people to find you, right? And somewhere along the way, he meets a girl and falls in love and they get married and have a daughter, who is Rey.

But that's just a theory. A FILM THEORY.

9. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Thanks for watching!

I wrote a fan fic duo where Obi-Wan was Sidious's son and didn't know it. Well Sidious later learned that Obi-Wan was his son and Obi-Wan was only informed of the possibility after he was dead by Anakin.

pronker likes this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I saw Rise last Monday night downtown with Youngest. We waltzed across the 4 lane one-way street swinging our lightsabers in battle, me in a Jedi robe, and the light traffic proved no obstacle! We settled into recliner seats along with maybe 15 others to enjoy the last part of the saga - and it was good to be overwhelmed by SFX and story. Rose receded into a character role, which surprised me, Lando had quite a large role, which was nice to see, and Palpatine returned, which shocked me. I just handwaved 'how did he survive the ROTJ fall?' away neatly and concentrated on enjoying Leia, who was well-used, and following the plot. It was a challenge, let me tell you, but possible. :D Youngest got a big kick out of how BB8 discovered a convenient ramp to the side of some stairs to roll up while on the run from Baddies. I whispered, "The VA installed it for him!!" [inside family joke] and the movie passed pleasantly enough.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Palpatine always said things were going as he planned or foreseen. So, he sees that Vader will kill him, so he sends in one of his clones who he controls from a distance.

Later he disappears because he wants people to think he is dead...because he is tired of all this Sith business. Shev needs to get his groove back. So he changes his name and gets on Tinder. After 2.4 million women swiping left on his profile, one visually impaired and desperately lonely woman swipes right. After a three week whirlwind romance she tells him she is pregnant. Shev doesn't want to raise a rugrat so he decides to flee...but the Galactic Child Support Enforcement Agency is awesome in doing their job, so he needs to flee their jurisdiction.

Therefore, he goes out to Wild Space to the planet Exegol--a planet that has no formal agreement with the agency and no extradition policy. There he hangs out with other deadbeat parents. But he realized he was found and he knows that the agency will collect all the back child support and give it to his child or the next of kin if that child is dead. So he tasks Kylo to kill his granddaughter. But later on he changes his mind because he's getting old and he wants somebody to visit him when he is in the Sith Assisted Living Facility.

Before you laugh...my story makes more sense than the Disney Trilogy. :p

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Opinion duly noted and logged!! [face_rofl][face_rofl]

I've distilled a few more observations, one week later ... 1. the horse-thingummies that were ridden reminded me of the elephant in ANH cosplaying as a bantha that the family saw in Marine World USA every time we visited. :) I've not ridden in some years, but the horsies' head tossings, shifting of weight and general movements were nicely familiar ... and 2. Lando's remark to Jannah could spark a comic book, at least, if not a full out movie, about discovering her roots. Also, 3. if I'd not read extensive EU, I'd flail around guessing about what Kylo and Ren were doing with the force-healing sequences - glad I spent all those years reading comics and books!!

he sends in one of his clones Oh very nice, very nice - *adds to headcanon*^:)^

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Are we sure Lando isn't just hitting up on a girl forty years his junior? And Jannah may be thinking that she'd get a rich old man and she won't have to worry. She'll dress up all in lace and go in style.

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    :cool::confused:Could be, could be ... Gran always said "better to be an old man's darling than a young man's servant" ... *ponders*

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Although I did hear that there was a scene cut from the film
    where Lando mentions that a daughter of his was kidnapped years ago.
    So lots of speculation on that.

Lady_Misty and pronker like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I heard about that. You would think they could have did a little reshooting where one or two more sentences were revealed explaining that. It would have made that scene much less creepy.

17. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    They were in a rush to make deadline, and tried to pack in too much other stuff, I guess. They really needed ONE person to oversee the story arc.

pronker and Jedi_Lover like this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    If there was a cut line with Lando looking for his abducted daughter and it made it into the movie than Lando's interaction with Jannah wouldn't have felt low-key creepy (to me) and would have come off as a man hoping to have finally found his missing daughter and being able to take her back home.

pronker likes this.
  19. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    So from TROS, we have Lando being some kind of a potential weird Sugar Daddy and Palpy using Tinder. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just went into a random night club one day and decided to try his luck using terrible flirty phrases. There is a hilarious video of that on Youtube actually.

I mean..............I still can't believe that by the end of the saga, out of all things, we're even having this discussion..........[face_laugh][face_laugh]

Crack!fics begin! :cool:

Lady_Misty and pronker like this.
  20. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Personally, I actually find the idea that Palpatine had offspring to be among the most reasonable things to come out of TROS. Prior to the end of the Clone Wars he was the most eligible bachelor in the galaxy and occupied a social circle that was both impossibly glitzy, staggeringly corrupt, and incredibly opaque. This is a man who could have attended giant adult parties every night if he wished. His ability to conduct licit or illicit affairs was limited only by his appetites, and for a Sith obsessed with immortality to not at least experiment with the tried and true route of offspring is actually more far-fetched to me than the opposite.

The overall plot is mishandled because everything in the ST is mishandled, and it's weird that he only had one kid - though that can be justified by saying he was rendered infertile during ROTS - but the idea of the Palpatine lineage being a big part of a post-ROTJ timeline isn't unreasonable.

21. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I mean, I don't disagree that Palpatine shouldn't have kids, I just really, really, really think Rey should have been his great-granddaughter for obvious reasons...[face_sick]

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    *ponders* Could it be appropriate timing to resurrect this thread?? [face_blush]

23. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The math is fine, actually. Rey was born in 15 ABY, apparently. If we assume her father was 40 when she was born, then Sheev Jr. (I will continue to refer to Palpatine's son this way until Disney dignifies the poor man with a name), would have been born in 25 BBY, to a hale and hearty pre-Clone Wars Palpatine of 59 years. That's old to have a kid certainly, but it's not even slightly implausible.

Lady_Misty, Briannakin and pronker like this.
  24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You also gotta remember, it's been established that humans - particularly Force sensitive humans - age differently in the GFFA than they do on earth (wasn't Qui Gon like 60 in TPM?)

Of all my issues with the ST, Sheev having a kid at ~60 is the least of them. Plus, who ever said the kid was conceived the natural way.

AAANNNYYYYWAY. I did not expect to chime in on THIS sort of discussion tonight.

25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I pegged Rey's father to be in the ballpark of Luke and Leia's age so he could have been born/conceived pre RotS but I only watched TRoS once and wasn't really paying attention to how old her father looked.

I can't remember if I said it before here but if Sheev Jr was conceived post RotS there are women out there that wouldn't care what the Emperor looked like if he was powerful. I mean they did a comic where a nurse for some odd reason developed a crush on Vader and fantasized of being with Vader so why not the Emperor?

I will admit that on one hand making Rey Palpatine's great granddaughter would be a smaller headache and not a huge leap in logic since the child could have been conceived without his knowledge and he never knew that he was a father or knew about the child but not that they had a child. Him having a son murks the waters and makes things less clear.

It sort of feels like they wanted Rey and Ben to match with them being the grandchildren of Sith Lords and the most reviled men in the galaxy/recent history.

EDIT There was an abandoned Imperial Facility on Jakku so they COULD have had Rey and/or her father be some sort of genetic experiments

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    gizkaspice and pronker like this.