main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The Rise of Skywalker soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat , Mar 2, 2018.

1. oierem

oierem Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    For me, this is one of those instances when the score feel terribly wrong. Re-using and re-arranging themes is perfectly ok. However, when Williams literally reuses cues (to the point that it almost sounds like it's editorially tracked music) that don't even have any thematic significance, it takes me out of the movie. He never used to do that, but the last two sequel scores do have quite a bit of "reused" music without any reasons.

That was one of the mystery motifs that appeared a couple of times in Clones (both in Kamino and in Tatooine), and that was similar to other mystery of other Williams scores of that era. It didn't have anything to do with the scene in Episode IX.

Sith Lord 2015 and cwustudent like this.
  2. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    On my third viewing I listened carefully for Anthem of Evil. I noticed it only when Kylo Ren reveals Rey's lineage, tells her about their Dyad link, and tries to get her to join him. There may have been partial uses in other moments, but I don't remember them clearly.

Something else. I checked and I was right--"Rise of Skywalker" closely echoes the music from Anakin's discovery that he is free and can go to train as a Jedi with Qui-Gon. So it represents the story coming full circle.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Is the music where Rey visits Tatooine (like in the first 20 seconds of "A New Home") related to the music from TLJ where Luke walks out to meet Kylo?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2015
    this is an underrated motif for Exegol. Plays when both Kylo and Rey arrive.

an evolution of this sequence, because John Williams is that brilliant.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Howard Hand likes this.
  5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They definitely seem related. And I do love that motif as Ren and Rey both journey to Exogol. Classic Williams, IMHO.

Howard Hand likes this.
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I have only seen the movie and don't own the soundtrack or have listened to it. The last SW CD I bought was ROTS. So judging from the movie alone, sadly, I have to say that it's very unremarkable, with maybe some exceptions. What really bothered me was the overuse of the Imperial theme, and also Yoda's Theme which is randomly used throughout the movie, and during the victory celebration of all places? Where is Yoda anyway? He does not even appear as a Force ghost. Also, why reuse "Han & Leia" and "Luke & Leia"? Why not use the new themes more? The Force theme is also heavily reused numerous times. The end credits, yet again, reuses the "Imperial March", as if it were not played enough in the movie already. Why not use those new themes (I honestly remember only 1) more or longer? Besides in its original version it is also called "Darth Vader's Theme". Neither Vader nor the Empire is in this movie, so I feel it's completely misplaced, and I can't help feeling that it's yet another case of fan service. Oh yes, and once again as with the entire ST, any PT theme is glaringly absent. I mean, since OT themes are heavily reused anyway, why not include prequel material, some of which is nothing short of excellent? I'm not asking to hear "Across the Stars", which would be completely out of place and belongs strictly in the prequels only. But more general themes like the arena theme, "Duel of the Fates" or "Battle of the Heroes" wouldn't have bothered me, instead of hearing the "Imperial March" for roughly the 100th time.
    I don't want to be all negative. I did like the music where Rey and Kylo are in the Sith temple, and when Rey flies to Tatooine. In fact I did like the ending very much, even though a movie ending with the binary sunset at the Lars farm has been done before in ROTS. But in TROS I see it as a homage, and it worked quite well.

Jediking97 likes this.
  7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I mostly disagree with your post. Largely because you haven't listened to the score you're criticizing apart from the film, which you've seen how many times?

I personally love the use of Yoda's theme when Luke is lifting the X-Wing from the sea. Most times, I do think themes and motifs should be used primarily for their subject... except when they work in other ways. Yoda was a key figure in Luke's Jedi past, especially in the lesson behind lifting the X-Wing. It makes perfect musical and character sense to use the theme there. I strongly disagree with your objection to using Han & Leia's and Luke & Leia's themes. Leia and Like are in this film, Luke and Han are huge figures. It makes complete sense to touch on those themes and I found Williams' uses of these themes to be very emotional and fulfilling. And the uses of the Imperial March in the film itself are fantastic. Just as the Main Theme is not just for Luke and the Force Theme is not just for Obi-Wan, the Imperial March is not just Vader's theme. It's the Empire's theme and just as Williams sometimes uses the Rebel Space Spacecraft Theme in the Sequel Trilogy for the Resistance, he also sometimes uses the Imperial March in the ST for the First Order or the rise of a new Empire. It works well.

As for PT themes, I can't really think of any places in the Sequel Trilogy that would work for a PT era theme. Dual of the Fates ONLY belongs in the operatic times of the Fall of the Republic. It doesn't fit anywhere else. And Battle of the Heroes is for Obi-Wan and Anakin. If they're not fighting, it doesn't belong, period. On this topic, I would say, give a specific example of a scene in the ST that should use a PT theme. I would like to know.

All of that said, I do agree with some of your objections. I personally do not like using Yoda's theme during the celebration at the end. It really does feel out of place. Other existing themes would have fit a lot better here and it really is one of those times for me where the theme feels out of place. I also dislike the use of the Imperial March in the End Titles. Again, it doesn't fit and worse, it's the exact concert arrangement just slotted in. But I also feel like the TROS End Titles are the worst of the entire saga. They just feel forced and hacked together, some spots so badly that it seems they were created in the studio editing room and not by Williams. That, combined with the umpteenth use of the Binary Sunset ending for a Star Wars film, makes me pretty much not listen to the End Titles track at all.

sethg, Howard Hand and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 22, 2005
    Recycling Yoda’s theme with the X-Wing bar by bar is fan service on top of fan service and dilutes the emotional essence of the original scene and score. Without commenting on the TROS score as a whole, I loathe everything about that moment in the film.

9. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 22, 2019
    I’m really bummed that Ben Solo’s Theme wasn’t included on the soundtrack, it was one of the standout musical moments of the film for me. I’m also really bummed that “Duel of the Fates” wasn’t included in the film or soundtrack at all. I got so excited when it played in that one TV spot for the film.

Also, while this isn’t directly related to the soundtrack, the trailer music for The Rise of Skywalker was PERFECT. I still don’t really get why Yoda’s Theme was used as prominently as it was, but I LOVED how Princess Leia’s Theme was used in the teaser (I was in the room at Celebration when the teaser dropped and the minute I heard her theme, I burst into tears :_|) and the fact that it was used as the basis for the first part of the final trailer music as well. And the reworking of the Main Title in the second half of the final trailer was AMAZING.

I adore John Williams and still loved this soundtrack — even if it was probably the most underwhelming Star Wars soundtrack for me — but I just cannot get over how perfect the trailer music for this film was from beginning to end.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There are many amazing cues that were left off the soundtrack. We need complete score releases for all nine Star Wars saga films. I really hope they're working on that.

sethg and Bacon164 like this.
  11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    What would be REALLY great is if they went back and did what they did for TLJ and make a music-only viewing for each film.

Btw, people talked about a Ben Solo theme. What theme was that?

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2015
    It's Kylo's theme but played in a lighter, more jovial tone.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I would love the music only version of TROS. So many great cues not included on the soundtrack.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
  15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's not really on the CD, if I recall correctly. It's mostly used in cues in the film that didn't make the soundtrack release.