main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Honestly I would have loved to have seen the New Empire more than just get their collective assets kicked at the Battle of Exegol.

Ghost likes this.
  2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Didn't the Centrists perish with the Hosnian System? I mean yes obviously they wouldn't all have been on the planet, but to be honest I don't see where they would fit into Palpatine's vision after his return, since his "all planets will surrender or be destroyed" approach seems to make them a bit pointless.

3. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    The VD (which is the topic of this thread) says that the Centrists seceded in circa 29 ABY, so there weren't any left in the capital at that point.

Voltron64, Darth Caliban and Vialco like this.
  4. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    That makes a bit more sense now. Even after owning the VD for a few weeks now, there's still stuff I've missed in it despite reading certain pages over and over lol.

I get how it's mirroring the Separatist crisis that preceded the Clone Wars, but again my point still stands, what was their purpose after Palpatine's return? I can't imagine him starting up the Senate again, as there's no real need for it.

Also I'm wonder when exactly Palpatine started reaching out to Ben, given that this book reveals Luke started training him when he was around 10.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Their purpose was to divide and weaken the Republic.

Also, to be clear, not all Centrists were Imperial or FO sympathizers. Nor did all Centrist worlds secede.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Xammer likes this.
  6. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah Bloodline made a pretty big point about that.

I think the reason I thought some of the FO centrists were on HP at the time of Starkiller, is because of the Hux scenes in the TLJ novel, where he's already planning on eliminating some potential future rivals to him.

Especially now after his antics in TROS, I can imagine him conveniently "forgetting" about the agents down there.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The senior senator from Hevurion was at least still in the Senate in 33-34 ABY.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Though I wonder about the dating of Before the Awakening now; the VD states Poe and BB-8 join the Resistance in 31 ABY, which would cover the events of his story.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    They definitely didn't all secede.

Coruscant, Kuat and Orinda didn't, as they were not among the 'Outer Rim sectors' that the First Order controlled, as referenced in BTA and the TLJ novel.

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Finally got the VD. My favorite pages that I spent the most with are the Jedi Scriptures.

Nice to see Odan-Urr canon. And that his notes look like they were written in a script based on Arabic.

IG: @jedisufism

11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I wish that they would print physical copies of Rey's Jedi Library, that would be really cool to own. Kind of like they did with the Rebel Files, Jedi Path, etc.

12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Why wasn’t Alderaan on the map? It was destroyed too ya know. Like —- before hosnian prime.

13. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    As much as I liked finding more about important things in the book like the Jedi, First Order etc, I think my favourite pages are Beaumont Kin's.

For such a minor character, he has a pretty interesting backstory involving him exploring ancient Jedi and Sith worlds like Moraband, Malachor and Devaron.

Just from that alone, I can imagine several Indiana Jones style adventures, which is great.

14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I need a Beaumont Kin book series... or comics... or a tv show with him as focus. With cameos of Aphra, Lor San Tekka, Savi and Luke... + more each episode someone else. Galaxy of Fear style. Give him Arranda twins assistants! Tie it in with the Graf Archive and Graf family. And then top it up with a heavy dose of Hoole, Hextoprophon and Voren Naal in flashbacks to where his younger self studied under these professors.

Pity the title "LOST in Space" is already taken...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He's probably lucky he's alive!

Malachor and Moraband!

Madman.

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well given he is alive... I now imagine whenever Luke and Gang visited dark Force sites like those they were expecting some leftover cultists but found the places surprisingly empty as if the dark side cleaned house and left their ancient sites behind for good. Only when entering the Unknown Regions did they find adversaries and got a good guess as to where they all had gone! cue Luke looking for Exogol and not finding it. He came so close to figuring it all out!!!

Guess Yupe Tashus cultists and their spreading of Sith artefacts and lore to subvert the New Republic saw a phase of expansion before being all collected back into the fold at Exogol.

It would also make a lot of sense that Luke met Fallanassi and studied their illusion and projection techniques in order to uncover any illusions he might face when darksiders try to keep him away from their sites.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I appreciate that The Secrets of the Jedi, which is supposed to e a journal that Luke wrote himself, has a similar scrapbook aesthetic as the Jedi Scriptures showcased in the VD.

I suspect Beaumont will be the Lor San Tekka to Rey's Luke going forward. They better make tracking down every possible dark side and Sith artifact and site a top priority after TROS.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I was actually thinking about that as I was reading about Beaumont. that he's the new Lor San Tekka. (Though Everytime I hear beaumont I have Samuel L. Jackson's voice in my head about Beaumont was an "Employee he had to let go.")

19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    You have Beaumont as well as Karr Suq Med who could prove to be very valuable connections to Rey if they chose to create a story there.

Dawud786 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    There still is Savi too and many others like Mika Grey.

If they go for it and unite all of them you have an instant order with at least a dozen characters at minimum. Also for completeness sake: BABY YODA! Or if he is like Groot, it'd be Teenage Yoda then?

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah Baby Yoda is kind of a wild card in all of this. Not sure what the plan is for him just yet.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm honestly not clear on how Yoda's species ages. Yoda is 900 in the OT and says, "for 800 years have I trained Jedi." So, 50 is a toddler, but 100 would be experienced enough to at least be a Jedi Knight capable of training a Padawan? Unless they age very slowly for 50-60 years and then mature very fast after that.

Groot, on the other hand, seems to age rather rapidly from sapling to "teen."

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, that's my take on it. Long childhood and then aging normally after that. And Yoda would only have to be the age equivalent of his early 20s to take his first Padawan.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  24. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    According to the Aftermath Trilogy, Palps might have been already reaching out to Ben, before he was born...

25. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Good Point

Darth Caliban likes this.