main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would speculate - because they wanted to keep some things as mysterious as possible.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Vialco and Ghost like this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    For various reasons I can't see the movie until Thursday and I'm avoiding the main Episode 9 thread, but based on spoilers in this thread and that have leaked in some of the others, I still have no clue what the actual plot of the movie is but I'm increasingly getting the impression that it stars everything and the kitchen sink. Like this movie is one long tour through both canon universes with brief cameos and/or name references wherever they can feasibly and even not-so-feasibly stick them. No wonder the mainstream critics are all like "...the hell?"

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @Barriss_Coffee I'd avoid all Episode IX related threads until you see the movie just to avoid the accidental spoilers, but your impression is not wrong. I'd recommend you watch Fandom's spoiler review with Dan Murrell after you've seen it.

4. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So I've heard there are passages in here that seem like references to (or astonishing coincidences with) Supernatural Encounters? Anyone care to screenshot or quote some of them? Very intrigued.

5. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    I found it shocking that Rose doesn't even get a full page and Connix and Maz both get a snippet each, but Beaumont gets two whole pages.

TiniTinyTony and DurararaFTW like this.
  6. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    The perks of being a JJ friend ‍♂️ he even make him a linguist to help Rey understand the ancient Jedi books.

7. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    But... C3P0 tho

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I just saw a character named Ibdun Dand show up on the Wookieepedia. And he's the dad of Vober Dand.

Does Vober Dand survive and is there a reference to Tabala Zo (who I saw in the credits)?

9. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    The Visual Dictionary said Rey uses both 3PO and Beaumont for help translating.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It seems some parts of this are immediately contradicted by the new Rise of Kylo Ren comics

11. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    This makes me more confused because 13 years is a long time to be training Jedi for none to have survived.

ImpKnight likes this.
  12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Story Group approved (tm)

DarthTalgus and wilyen like this.
  13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Not if luke was training from teenage (14 year old ahsoka) to knighthood (25 year old kenobi). It seems unlike his legends counterpart, luke decided not to make his own accelerated training in 1 year the norm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

14. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    How so?

15. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    That still means there were Jedi with up to 10+ years of experience..

ImpKnight likes this.
  16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They can retcon (or you can pretend) that fully trained Kyle katarn and corran horn were in the temple explosion, it doesn't make a difference really now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

17. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Even with ten years of training, how would one survive darkside force thunder from the sky while sleeping?

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  18. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    What Dark Side Force thunder?

Also I'm merely suggesting you would think after 10 years there would be a sizeable number of students, not all of whom would all be on the planet at the same time.

19. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Ahsoka to Obiwan years of training involve going on off world missions, Anakin as a Padawan had saved his master a dozen times already. And Ben was at the temple and sleeping and he didn't get hit.

ImpKnight likes this.
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd suggest reading The Rise of Kylo Ren.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not from what I can see.

Dazzle me.

@Barriss_Ofee; I wouldn't take the VD as any indication whatsoever. The VDs are always unable to spoil the end of the film. It's been no different before, after all.

22. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Because the VD says that Kylo set the Jedi temple on fire while on the comic released this week they imply that he wasn’t aware or responsible for it, it was Snoke/Palpatine... and this guide was made probably a few months ago while the comic is more current and will delve further so the VD is wrong this time

ImpKnight, Wrinty and Ghost like this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The VD was written months ago, but then so would ROKR have been. It could also easily be edited before going to final print. Anyway,
    We don't know who's actually responsible yet; Ben seems not to have burned it down, but we don't know for sure. Either way, it's commonly believed that he destroyed it, a point that's been made in plenty of previous material; not only does Luke think he did, Kylo himself claims he did so. So the VD is right from several certain points of view, until we know more.

24. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    The VD also says that the Festival of Ancestors was a biennial thing instead of once every 42 years. It also says that Snoke had knowledge of the dyad, though Sidious only learned of it near the end of the film.

ImpKnight and Vialco like this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    True; according to the leaks the dyad stuff got removed from Palpatine's first scene where he laid out much more of the situation, so this is probably a remnant of that. But even so, I don't think we yet know exactly what the deal is with Snoke and Palpers; it's not necessarily the case that anything Snoke knows Palpatine also knows.

AV-6R7 and Daneira like this.