main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Snoke isn’t Sidious. “Snoke trained you well”. I don’t think things learned by Snoke would be known by Sidious automatically.

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well snoke maybe his own entity but i wouldn't be surprised if he imprinted his memories as well.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In TLJ, Snoke says it was he who created the connection between Rey and Kylo and bridged their minds.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The historian character in the book 'Ri-Lee Howell', is named after "Riley Howell", an university student who died helping stop a school shooter earlier this year.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What does the VD say about Snoke and is Rae Sloane mentioned at all?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Sloane's mentioned in the same context as in the TLJ novelization, being an early remnant/FO leader who makes way for Snoke's rise. There's not much more on Snoke aside from his origin being on Exegol as an apparently unique being implied to have been created artificially. That's about all, because the book doesn't delve into Palpatine at all.

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The complete exclusion of Palpatine from this book seems very odd to me. He is in the film from the first scene. Why wouldn't there be at least one page dedicated to him?

The book barely hints at his existence. In some sections it even states that he's dead. The Sith Eternal Cult is given some page time, but nothing about Palpatine.

The book doesn't even acknowledge that he's alive. That, to me, seems very suspicious. I wonder why the main villain isn't even mentioned in this book.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think a key character is missing from this book so they can tell the off screen story in other media.

9. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Spoilers. Regardless of when he shows up in the film, the marketing went out of its way to avoid showing him, so these day-of-release books had to keep him secret to adhere to the promotional strategy. A shame, but hopefully there'll be some future expanded edition that'll include him and other spoiler elements like the people's fleet at the end.

10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    So I've heard a lot of things about how this fills in a lot of gaps.

I never buy or read these kinds of books. But considering.

Isn't the canonicity of these books pretty...unstable though?

Sent from my S8-Wing

ImpKnight and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    No more than anything else, I'd say. TROS itself has retconned a few details from previous films. But the Visual Dictionaries are particularly well-written and fun reads, for all that they're purely "factual" reference books. Pablo puts a lot of creativity into his writing, and in particular with this one I enjoyed how he managed to reframe a lot of the material from the past two films to gel with certain new revelations. Not retconning so much as smoothing it all out, making connections, and generally keeping the focus on story and character. They're well worth getting, I'd say, and I don't think a fear that a detail or two might get contradicted should be at all a deterrent.

12. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ugh...curse you for persuading me to possibly buy this. Not fully there yet.

Really that good?

Sent from my S8-Wing

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    You're correct as far as canon. As far as the Last Jedi Visual Dictionary
    The 2017 reference book Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary stated Snoke to be a dark side user albeit not affiliated to the Sith.

9 disproves this, to put it mildly.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Jedi Ben, Vialco and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I certainly think it is, but I've got a soft spot for Pablo's work in general. I think it helps inform the film, and not only by filling in certain gaps; it also broadens the universe like the EU's meant to do, offering deeper understanding of certain characters and ideas, and also providing lots of new threads and lore tidbits to spark the imagination.

And then the TROS VD re-proves it by pointing out that Snoke never made designs on the title of Emperor, and his dark-side abilities specifically weren't of Sith heritage. There's more of a separation between Snoke and Palpatine than I think some are assuming with the "I made Snoke" line. Palpatine may have made him, but Snoke's his own being.

15. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    The Visual Dictionaries are now the ONLY Star Wars books I buy. Were it not for their creativity and clever re-working of Legends, I'm not sure how invested I would even be in Star Wars right now.

blackmyron likes this.
  16. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It seems probable to me that the reshoots resulted in some of the info in this VD becoming outdated.

AV-6R7 and Iron_lord like this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Same. Although I plan on getting Jason Fry's book when I get back from vacation.

HedecGa likes this.
  18. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    A new one or the Solo/Tales from Vandor one? (that one was chock-FULL of Legends callbacks. I loved it)

blackmyron likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    New one, the Galactic Explorer's Guide. Wasn't released until 12/20.

HedecGa likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Can you post a picture of this dude?

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
  22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    BeesInABar, HEDGESMFG and JediFett10 like this.
  23. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    No thanks, I'd rather not have to read comics/tweets/Fortnite bonus clips to get the full story of a pretty big plot point.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    TFA and TLJ already gave you an answer.

If you want more, you have to go and look.

If precisely one comic is too much for you, then don't complain it's not in the VD?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I mean, we're on the Literature board.

But I was responding to your question about the dark-side lightning; that's specifically referencing The Rise of Kylo Ren #1.