main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Roaring 'Tweens: Writer's Club for Ages 18-30 -- New Discussion! What motivates you as a writer?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Layren, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    How old are you?

What was your first experience with Star Wars?
    When I was very, very little, my parents introduced me to ANH?I think that was over 12 years ago now! I remember falling in love with Luke, and wishing I was Princess Leia. I was very devastated when I watched RotJ and found out that Luke and Leia were twins?I was rooting for Luke to get the girl!

Why do you like to write?
    I get a wonderful feeling of escapism when I write! I love anything creative; I scrapbook, I paint, I draw (very little now), and I write (of course)! I love bringing joy to people with my work, and I can?t ever see myself doing anything else in life!

Who's your favorite character to write and why?
    Tahiri: mostly because she?s my favourite EU character. Jacen is fun as well (Dark Jacen, mostly), and in terms of ?original? SW characters, Han Solo is a blast!

What's the hardest bit about writing?
    For me, technical descriptions (in this fanfic universe, anyway). I have a lot of trouble describing alien worlds, ships, etc. I?m big on descriptions usually, but when it comes to the SW universe, I kinda struggle. I love sci-fi, but I have a lot of trouble writing it (my style is most suited to angsty-romance fics).

What are you writing right now?

So many things, I don?t know where to begin!
    There?s Sacrifice, my Jacen/Tahiri/Anakin epic, my ?Jahiri? fic, Hidden Desire, my Sacrifice back-stories, Thirst For Revenge, numerous challenges (makes note to self: never agree to so many challenges again!), and I?m also working on a couple of original pieces at home (sweet, girly romance fluff), plus, I have a Harry Potter fanfic in the works as well!
    Phew! Are you exhausted? I am!
    I can?t believe I?m doing all that, plus working & running a gossip site! *yawns*

How does it differ from anything you've written previously?
    It?s a lot more grown-up than my previous works. That, and the fact that I?ve never written something longer than 10 pages before!

Does music help or hinder your writing?
    It hinders me. I get so distracted listening to the chords in the music and singing along to the lyrics, that I forget where I?m at. I can?t even have the TV on in the background?I have to close myself off from all noise, and really concentrate! It?s the same when reading.

How have you changed as a writer from when you first joined these boards?
    I?ve only been here for two months, but I?d like to think I?ve grown, even in that short space of time. I know I?m able to write posts twice as long as when I started, and I think I?m getting better with my ship descriptions, etc.

What motivates you as a writer to tell your story? Fun? Feedback junkie?
    Fun! Writing brings me such joy, and also reading someone?s comment where they?ve really gotten something out of the story, that just makes my day!
    I also get a kick out of writing a ship that?s never been done before?or something controversial!

What's your new year writing resolution?
    To keep writing! Make sure to write something every day.

What is your best strategy for overcoming writer's block?
    Listening to feel-good music, like Norah Jones or Joss Stone. Also, re-reading my previous works helps as well, and re-reading readers comments, to get me in the mood.

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I think I might have filled one of these out before, but if I have, it's been ages. And since I can't remember if I did or not...yeah. Here it is.

How old are you?
    20 and a half, as my brother told me on the phone today.

What was your first experience with Star Wars?
    Being forced to see ESB when the OT was rereleased in theaters in the nineties. I thought the movies sounded awful and refused to see ANH with my family. So my mother decided to drag me to ESB, to convince me...and she did.

Why do you like to write?
    It helps me deal with things, it helps me get the excess of bunnies out of my head and it's something that I can do for myself and don't have to worry about being judged- at least in a personal way. That and I love the various fandoms that I'm into.

Who's your favorite character to write and why?
    Erm...been a while since I wrote SW- and I assume you don't want to listen to me explain why I love writing characters from other fandoms... Yeah, I'm stalling. Anyways, I guess Padmé's fun. I had a great time writing suitless Vader, but Padmé's the character I seem to write the most. Or did write the most... She's been through a lot, yet she never loses her head or her cool and she's really fun to torture too.

Though torturing Qui-Gon is also lots of fun...

What's the hardest bit about writing?
    Er... trying to stay focused on one fic. I have so many ideas, most of them long, and I have a horrible time sitting down and finishing a fic. Which is why I have such long periods between posting, usually.

What are you writing right now?
    ...You did not serious just ask me that, did you? Oh, you did? Well, then here it goes... I'm currently writing three long fics in the Danny Phantom fandom, in the planning stages of a fic for a friend in the Fullmetal Alchemist fandom, heeing and hawing over a Harry Potter fic, and looking hesitantly at several fics I already have started and that haven't been updated in years in various fandoms.

Oh, and what you probably wanted to know- my SW fics... Going Back To Yesterday. Yes, after a year and a half of doing nothing to it, except making excuses, I actually wrote some more. Now if I could just finish the chapter...

How does it differ from anything you've written previously?
    What, Going Back to Yesterday? I started it almost two years ago, so now my style has evolved somewhat. But at the time, it was different because it was written in present tense for Padmé and Vader and when I switched the POV to some other character, it was written in the past. It's also very...dark? Like eally dark, and while I had written some dark shorter fics, this one is/was going to be a monster. Plus it was my first fic in the SW fandom, so that was new.

And my Dream Scenes, as many readers called them. Basically dreams that Padmé was suffering from, in which she went through emotional turmoil, and sometimes physical- and yet they weren't written as dreams, but as actual events, because that's what Padmé believed them as. I think those are what made the fic really different, because there wasn't really a line between reality and fantasy during them, and I had to write them that way, which turned out to be a very successful experiment.

Does music help or hinder your writing?

When there are lyrics, it can, because I tend to sing with. I'm very adept at reading a book and singing, but writing and singing is a bit more challenging. On the other hand, I can tune out anything. Comes from being raised in a house full of musicians that practice all the time. It can also help- some songs give me plot bunnies while others bring certain scenes to mind and some just fit the mood of the fic and are helpful that way by centering my mind, so to speak.

How have you changed as a writer from when you first joined these boards?

This is hard to say. Lately I've been having a hard time being as dark- but then I started working on GBTY again and no

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I think I'm going to start a new thread with a sock gang, because like Alethia said if something happened where I went away from the boards awhile or what have you, this way the thread wouldn't stay dead as long as it has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.