main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON The Rochester - Niagara Connection (Lost, BSGalactic, Etc)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by RogueSquadronWingnut, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Greetings YJN!
    MadKidJedi and I were talking on the way home from Strike Force tonight and we had such a good time talking and getting to know a bunch of you from the G&W Fest. We wanted to continue the chit chat on the boards so we can keep in regular contact.

Most specifically in the area of "Lost" :)
    And Battlestar Galactica if anyone watches that
    (Me Loves me Battlestar)

Let the chatter commence!

Has anyone noticed the two common brands found in Lost?
    Though different in the center cluster of the logo, otherwise they are identical. One of them is on Desmonds shirt and all the boxes in the bunker but the second was on the shark that was viewed in the ocean this week. Any ideas? Defense System maybe?

2. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    I saw it on the boxes, but didn't notice it on the shark. Must have blinked when that happened. If that is the case, I would have to agree that perhaps it is some sort of defense mechanism. But someone must have put him in there with all that food, quite a while a go since he was asking what the condition was of all the people and if they were sick or not. Something serious must have happened for him to put himself down there or be put down there with all that food. And the fact that he is keeping track of the days down there...looks like a long time too. And what about those guys that took Walt?? What do you think they are doing with him??

Sorry I missed talking about this at the hall, but glad I can still do it here on the boards.

3. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    The only idea for Desmond I might have is linked with the "Black Rock".

I'm thinking that ship was part of his race and that it crashed on the island. There was a lot of crap in that boat that was wrecked and I think there was some kind of biological crap mixed in with it. It would explain how "Crazy Frenchie" (as I call her) and Desmond are both on the island. It also explains the "Crazy Frenchie's" story about how her people all got "sick and changed." If a biological agent was on the Rock, then it kinda ties two clues up there.

Might also explain why those "others" or "survivors" (we'll find out) were so heavily armed with clubs and sharp stuff on the horizon after Jin ran away.

Of course the giant glaring hole is how the heck did Black Rock get so far inland.

4. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    My confusion with Desmond is with how he's been there so long, yet it doesn't seem like it's been more than 6 or 7 years since he met Jack at the stadium.

I love Lost, but I don't understand how the producers say everything on the island has a logical explanation. What about Locke's vision of "Teresa goes down the stairs" before Boone died, when he didn't know that story? That makes no sense to me.

5. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah, I agree with steph. All the technology in the hatch is wicked old, but it didn't seem to be that long ago that Jack saw Desmond in the stadium.

It seems like maybe they've been putting people into this hatch for years - who knows why though.

Desmond also seemed to be waiting for a replacement, or someone to join him, or someone to come get him.

The whole island seems to be some kind of forgotten crazy experiement done by this "dharma" corporation. (or dharma project?)

Discussing this show makes you say "seem/seems/seemed" a lot.

(I also agree with steph that it's a bunch of crap that this isn't a science fiction/fantasy show)

6. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Another Theory...
    What if Desmond wasnt really "prepping for a race" when he was in the stadium with Jack?

Maybe he's an operative of some sort doing physical training because he's not going to have stairs anymore.
    I'm thinking the time difference between Jack "Stadium" and Jack "Island" is more longterm and significant. Jack was a med student/early resident(someone with medical experience know?) in the flashback while now he seems much more established.

I have too much time between service calls today so I get to think up all these theories.

7. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Ahhhh... here's our "Lost" chat thread... I thought you Canucks were going to start it up?

My 2-cents:

The Black Rock: As was observed in the two-part season-ender last season, was that it was a slave ship, given the cargo still manacled in the hold. As Jack (I think) mused, it was more than likely washed inland by a tidal wave, or tsunami, sometime during the dozens, or more than likely, hundred years since it shipwrecked. As TNT (dynamite) is a mid-to-late 18th century invention (Google turned up an invention date of 1866 or 1867, by Alfred Nobel, whom the Peace Prize is named after!! Ah, the irony!!), it could have wrecked anytime after that date, and before steel-hulled vessels came into wide use near the turn of the century. Masted sailing ships, like the Rock, became rare upon the seas after this time. That thing's been there prob'ly around a hundred years.

Desmond/Jack timeline: I agree; the stadium flashback goes to his med-intern days. He was already on staff, but just getting to know his abilities. That hair he had in those flashbacks! Worst 'time-regression' make-up I've sen on the show yet. And this after they cionvincingly took Locke back over a decade!! But that rug on Jack; I wasn't buying that...

The "Others": At last! We're gonna see 'em!! And (SPOILER ALERT!!) who's psyched to see Ana-Lucia, the midday-tequila-drinking gal Jack met in the airport in Sydney who was assigned to seat 42F in the tail-section of the plane? Kinda puts the radio chatter Boone heard in the Beechcraft in perspective, doesn't it?

The Bunker: I have know idea. Obviously Desmond's been down there a while; the Apple computer, the huge computer tape-drives in the racks, the choice of music. I'm not gonna say anything about the records. I still play records. Vinyl is hella-cool. Obviously he's been waiting for someone to show up, and I don't think it was Kate, Locke or Jack. Especially not in the span of one morning. Three visitors in one day, after years of solitude? Yippee! Obviously, some organization is behind the bunker, and put him there. Obviously Desmond believes the world has suffred some kind of pandemic or nuclear holocaust, and he's shocked ***tless to see anyone come down his hole. I like that Kate's a chocoholic like me... but then, who wouldn't dive into that stash...?

Shark-logo: There's something on the tail of the one that tried to munch on Sawyer, and it's a logo. Similar, but not he same as the logoes in the bunker. Can't wait to find out how that piece fits the puzzle.

All in all gang, it's gonna be a great year to get "Lost". I know where you'll all be 9pm Wednesdays...

I can't rap about Battlestar (yet). No cable, and no one has lent me any of this seasons eppies on tape. Waaaahhhhh!!! MadKid cry.

8. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Laziness prevailed...

Yes, watching VERONICA MARS which had a much better season premiere than Lost. At 10:00 I'll be watching Lost ;p

Whoever decided to run those shows in the same timeslot should be shot :( Or dropped on a creepy island, or put on a bus and driven over a cliff ;p

9. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Could be worse
    Battlestar Galactica is on Fridays at 10pm...
    That cuts into my lounging schedule :)

10. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    What we know this morning:

The Dharma Project has at least two other stations on the island.

The island has been "running" since 1970.
    The code must be punched in every 108 minutes.

Michelle Rodriqueuz and the guy from Oz are possibly survivors of the Oceanic flight or Michelle is and the other guy is an "Other" or a member of Dharma.

The Dharma station for Desmond is the Swan.
    Another Dharma station, I guess we can refer to as the mule.

Swan station is loaded with fuel and all modern conveniences. Only 5 people know of its existence.

Apparently Jin speaks fluent English.

The purpose of the island is to study human behavior and its effects on the electromagnetic spectrum as well as group harmonics and behavior.

11. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Actually, there were 6 stations. The video at the start said "3 of 6 Dharma Initative"

Why?

Why?

Why? The show left me at a point of not knowing what exactly all those machines really DID. Maybe you saw a preview I didn't? I understand Canada gets different ones.

My take on last night's episode:

WHY WON'T ANYONE EVER LISTEN TO HURLEY?!

Don't press the button. The button is bad.
    Don't blow the hatch. The numbers are bad.

Ana-Lucia you are a [BAD WORD]. Although I am very interested in why the tail end of the plane has a sort-of jail and are so distrustful. Have they met the REAL others?

I hope Desmond comes back.

I wonder how long before hurley gets his shift with the creepy countdown computer and doesn't enter the numbers.

I wonder what the meds Desmond is taking do.

I wonder why the button is bad.

I liked the way they explained there being polar bears on the island ;p

At least now we know why the shark had a slightly different logo.

This is NO WAY the dudes with the sticks are "the others". They're definitely the tail end survivors and they fake captured her to get the deal on the dudes in the hole. I believe this whole heartedly because of the pointy stick weapons: the others have guns.

I'm not sure, but I think Jin still has his handcuff bracelet? If so, that would go a long way toward why they freaked out when they saw Jin, and then freaked out again when they saw Sawyer and Michael talking to Jin. But then there's still the question of why they have a jail (half-assed gilligan's island jail or not).

The dude before desmond... How did they just totally forget about the dharma initiative and leave some poor schmuck stranded on an island?

As to the button, there's a good chance it's just a science experiment, although I kind of get the feeling it actually does do something, but that that something is not necessarily a good something.

Hurley's right. Do we even know what any of that stuff does? It's time to start figuring it out. Maybe back in 1970 they thought they were doing something good but they mucked it up.

12. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    ok, I just saw the american preview, which this week was better than the canadian preview.

The only thing cleared up is where you got the jin speaking english thing (which is ghetto.)

13. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Lost? Lost? I'm lost! If this show doesn't start making some sense, they're gonna lose me! Oh, I like a good puzzler/thriller/head-scratcher as much as the next guy, but this show is making more and more questions, and providing very few answers. C'mon, throw us a bone! Anyway, rant over, here's my 2 cents, some with a nod to the preview for next week:

Jack is obviously more on-edge than we were led to believe, and Desmond's better-late-than-never recollection of having met Jack sparks him to tears, after he was ready to blow him away?!?! Huh? I guess Jack's wife died or sumthin. And why the hell did he push the button? A "leap of faith"? Though I thought for sure that the show would cut to black with the flying logo and end before he did. Would've made for one long week, eh?

Whose idea was it to bring Hurley to the bunker? Dumb, dumb, dumb. And I already know the title of next weeks show (thanks to MeeVee.com) is "Everyone hates Hurley". We already know he dives into the pantry. Pretty stereotypical, if you ask me, to do that to his character. Lame.

"Is there another way out" Kate asks. Yup, a nice double door, barely concealed by the jungle beyond. Funny how Locke and Boone never saw it, in all the surveying of the Hatch they did last season, while digging it out, and building trebuchets and stuff.

Whatever the Dharma Initiative is, and whatever experiments they're conducting there, wouldn't they have some kind of contact with the outside world, and maybe some modern tech support? I find it hard to believe that they were so well supplied that the shelves in the bunker are still so full. And who in their right mind would believe that crap film? Jack's dis-belief is plausible. Locke's blind faith is not. I am Jack's utter disbelief. (Nod to Fight Club.)

As for Ana-Lucia... I dunno. Once it was established that they all were on the same flight, I expected some new alliances; not fisticuffs. Maybe Jeigh is right, and they're just the others from the tail section, and they wanted to be sure that Mike, Sawyer, and Jinn were not the true "Others".

As for Jinn speaking english (next week), I think that's one of those "rather than subtitle it, we'll have them speak in english" things.

And the new Locke back-story, though touching to be sure, was just boring, made no sense really, and was time wasted. Okay, so he's pissed his old man scammed him out of an internal organ. Like Peg Bundy (Helen) said, "get over it". I just didn't get it. Maybe I should watch the episode again. I do remember that in the first Locke flashback from last season, his Phone-a-friend girl he was talking to was called "Helen"; but it wasn't Katey Sagal's voice on the other end of the phone... hmmmmm...? A name given the girl in tribute by Locke methinks.

And what about the rest of the survivors of 815? Charlie, even? Claire and her baby? Come on... give us something. I know Charlie confronts Hurley next week about the food and all, but sheesh; there's 30-odd other people with the beach/caves group.

But honestly, this show has got to start giving us something back, or they're gonna lose us, well... me.

14. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    mmkay, I read a lot of crap on the internet and EVERYONE is saying this and I'm starting to get cheesed. A lot of people seem to have conviently forgotten that Kate stuffed her face with chocolate when she was in the bunker and locke was in what seemed like clear and present danger.

Hurley's reaction to the food in the bunker was not because he's a stereotypical fat guy, it's because he's a stereotypical human who's been on a deserted island for x # of days eating only fruit and fish and the occational boar. Infact, if he HADN'T have stopped it would have been very unbelievable.

I don't know that Hurley digs into the food. Maybe he attempts to, but I seriously doubt he gorges himself. Jack says that no one can eat the food. Because jack... is a turd. (I would guess jack says this right as hurley's going to eat some food). The title of next week's episode should be "Everyone hates Jack." Poor Hurley gets to take the blame for following jack's order to not tell anyone else about the food or the bunker :( I mean, what the hell is that guy's problem? Pointing a gun at desmond WHY? Someone needs to take all his responsibilty away and give it to someone awesome, like sayhid. He's going over the edge. He needs a vacation. He needs to take murphy's law a little less seriously. He needs some frigin' optimism. I mean, I thought I was a pessimist but this is just ridiculous.

I felt so sad for Hurley when I saw the preview where Charlie's all pissed at him :(

But back to the original point... if you were in hurley's position wouldn't you eat the food?! I know I would. We know kate did. Is this stereotypical? No. It's reality. And if you really wanted to call it stereotypical it's only toward the nature of humans, not toward the nature of overweight people.

I'm leaning toward it being a dream. They always mislead you in the previews. Splicing things where they shouldn't be spliced (like hugo going to eat some food! They didn't actually show him eating it). However, last season when Sun told Jin she was going to leave him in english, it really got his attention. I had thought it was weird then... maybe explainable now. Doubtful though because it was *perfect* english.

Yeah, I agree. That or her name was coincidentally Helen. But what happened to the real helen? Maybe Helen dies at the same time Locke is paralized. That would be good because that woman is so typecast to me. Everytime she was talking I was like "SHE'S MARRIED WITH CHILDREN".

The story was kind of important though. What happened to totally change him? He used to be a sniveling sissy and now look at him. He used to have a hard time taking leaps of faith, now he's mr. faith.

15. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Being Paralyzed can change anyones life I guess.

Minor note.
    If you go back to Season 1 and check out when Walt is walking along the wreckage of the plan...the Dharma Symbol appears on the fuselage wreckage. It also appears in the episode with Jack and his fathers coffin. The symbol is all over the wreckage surrounding the coffin.

Something aint right here..

16. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    got any screen caps?

17. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    For anyone else wondering, I just ran into these:

http://www.lost-media.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=19&pos=529
    http://www.lost-media.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=47&pos=552

Personally, I'd write this one off as the writers trying to make us come up with insane theories, but it IS really neat.

EDIT: Just came across this (warning: bad langage in the comments):
    http://www.livejournal.com/community/lost_tv/1002184.html#cutid1

The last picture in that set where the image is outlined you can actually make out the swan.

Edit again:
    What's been bothering me is that's on the shark's logo. It just looks like... a line.
    http://thetailsection.com/images/shark_tail.jpg

18. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Maybe referencing a border?
    The shark is a security system I'll wager money on that.
    Its a deterrent.

I dont know if its a red herring to have the Dharma symbol splashed all over the place or if its some strange kind of way to make the die-hards flip out over every little detail. Or it could be the key clue.

19. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    I everything I see on Lost I just keep thinking back to the fact that ABC claims it's not a science fiction show.

That means there has to be a rational explaination for everything.

Edit: I like the idea of the shark's symbol referencing a border...

20. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    in preparation for tonight's episode:

I HATE ANA-LUCIA!!@$@!#!$!@$!@!!#@!!

21. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Also in advance of tonight's eppie;

Jeigh's suspicions of Jinn speaking English seems to be confirmed; it must be a dream. At least the clip on "The Insider" info-tainment program at 12:30 this afternoon seemed to prove it so. It showed a wider shot of Jinn delivering that line, and a guy in a chicken suit was next to him. I doubt they stocked one of those in the bunker...

They also showed Hurley engorging himself on the candy bars, on ice-cream sundaes and other stuff from the pantry. Could also be a dream-sequence, but... eh, we'll see. Sorry; I guess one of my suspicions may have been correct as well. Sad if they took this (low) road; again, sadly stereotypical. But hey, Hurley's girth could be a glandular condition...

22. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    So much for the Jin speaks fluent English theory...
    Bernard Rules!!!!

Next Week: The Others.............FINALLY

23. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh...... now that's better. That's the kind of "Lost" episode I remember; quirky, funny, and ends with a feel good moment, in spite of the omni-present sense of doom. And, okay, it was all a dream; Hurley chowing, Jinn speaking... now that's better...

And if you saw the preview for next week, I called that one. You know what I'm talking about. The Ana-Lucia/Sawyer "moment". I said it aloud to my girl just before they started to walk; "they're gonna end up 'eff-ing'". Called it.

24. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    eff-ing, lol. nice.

I saw the canadian preview. Should be downloading the american one shortly so I know wtf you guys are talking about ;p

The ending was nice, but also sad :( They always show everyone happy AND THEN... something like Sun burying the bottle :(

I was glad hurley got to be the guy everyone likes again. I liked his flashbacks too. Hurley's my favourite character. Totally. Dude.

But honestly, this episode kind of bored me. But the chicken made me think of kevin spencer!

And man, I really hate ana-lucia. I hope she dies. It would be even more satisfying if sawyer killed her. Why is she such a bossy beotch?

Oh yeah, and I saw the preview clips as well last night. At first I was like "oh hurley :(" but when he pulled a fully formed steak dinner out of a box I figured he wasn't really eatting the food

EDIT:
    Holy crap that preview was WAY better.

The next episode looks killer.

I'm glad michael runs away. It's annoying me that the tail-enders think they're the boss of Michael, Jin and Saywer. I'd be out of there and on my way to the other side of the island first chance I got. I know Michael goes for Walt, but still. I dunno why Saywer and Jin don't run for the hills as well.

25. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    And all we see of the Others....is their feet...I'm getting fed up here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.