main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gonna Fly Now: Rocky / Creed / Drago

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediVision, Jul 11, 2018.

1. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    So, @Souderwan incredibly graciously hosted me at his home during the month of May and I had little else to do all day besides feast myself on his treasure trove of DVDs. Despite being both a big sports fan and a big movie fan, I had never seen any of the Rocky movies, and I fell in love with them Since there's no dedicated Rocky thread I thought it would be a good idea to make one, especially since we're coming into the home stretch of the lead-up to Creed II.

Yeah, this is sort of a "welcome to thirty years ago" thread, but I was born in 1987, so by the time I was a young adult the movies' heyday as a pop-culture phenomenon were over. I only had a sort of general awareness of Rocky as a fictional folk hero, but I didn't think the films were actually worth going back and watching. In fact, my understanding of Sylvester Stallone as an actor in general was that he was a sort of poor man's Arnold Schwarzeneggar -- the sort of stereotypical big brute/martial artist/horrendous "actor" stereotype deliberately played up in The Expendables series (a misconception no doubt held in part because of my main exposure to Stallone previously having been his horrendous film Driven, which I suppose was his attempt at "Rocky as a washed-up Formula 1 great" gone horribly wrong). I actually thought that the Rocky films were more or less a series of trite "opponent of the year" stories (every movie being a different version of Rocky IV, basically) so I was very pleased to find that the movies are actually a rich saga not just about a boxing career but a life, as well.

So I guess a cheap way to kick off the thread is to rank the movies. My ranking is:
    1. Rocky
    2. Creed
    3. Rocky III
    4. Rocky Balboa
    5. Rocky IV
    6. Rocky II
    7. Rocky V

I was somewhat surprised after watching the movies to discover that many people consider Rocky IV to be their favorite. The first time I watched it, I thought it was the most transparent piece of Hollywood quasi-propaganda I had ever seen, but I guess for some people especially in a certain age demographic the visceral thrill of watching Rocky kick some Communist ass was a Very Big Deal. I guess if you turn your brain off it can be a fun "'Merica!" guilty-pleasure but compared especially to the richness of the previous installment it rings pretty hollow to me. One problem I have with the series in general is that Talia Shire's acting is pretty horrendous so some of Adrian's big character moments--like the scene on the beach in Rocky III--don't really work for me.

Anyway, so this thread isn't just a retrospective of a decades-old series, here's the trailer for Creed II.

What do you guys put the chances of Rocky dying in this installment at? @Souderwan and I have decided 40%.

vin, DarthTunick and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I like the fist one , it has a genuine working class feel to it , after that the films seem to leave Rocky behind and are replaced with Stallone and his Hollywood ego .

SuperWatto likes this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    My ranking.
    1. boxing
    2. is
    3. a
    4. monumentally
    5. stupid
    6. sport
    7. and ranking movies is boring

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I've said this elsewhere recently, but what makes Rocky IV so appealing is its simplicity or lack of subtlety. It's good vs evil, nature vs technology, all layered in something of a revenge story to avenge his friend. None of the other films have that (and that's a good thing- it makes IV stand out and lets the rest of the franchise explore other subjects with more complexity).

It also fits within a general theme Stallone had in that stretch of his career that's actually rather smart on his part, by tapping into the wish fulfillment of film. Veterans of an unpopular/lost war not being treated right at home? Rambo II went back and essentially won the Vietnam War. Height of the Cold War? Rocky IV settles that. Etc. He tries it again with Rambo III's Afghanistan setting but kinda becomes action parody by that point and misses the mark.

But, back to Rocky, I think one thing that is certainly helpful to the longevity of the franchsie is Stallone working really hard to reinvent it following the disappointment of V and the long downtime for the character that followed it. Rocky Balboa brought the franchise back to its more human roots (Stallone has talked about how he'd love to see a version that merges Rocky I & Rocky Balboa into a single, long film that uses a cut to contrast Rocky's victory with Adrian's grave). The final fight was also stripped of much of its Hollywood camerawork and instead, at times, almost plays out as if it were a real boxing match airing on ESPN. Which is a very surreal experience since you know it's a fictional character.

And then Creed surprises the hell out of everyone with a different story wrapped in a familiar premise and delivers an outstanding movie. I was quite amused how people in the audience I saw it with were reacting as if it were an actual fight, since you get a lot of single-shot moments. But even just speaking to the power of the film, the "flashback gasp" moment was an utterly unique moment for me. It's frightening, primal, elating and just this sudden burst of living emotional. I can't say I've ever reacted to anything, film or otherwise, in the same way. It doesn't have the same effect upon repeat viewings, but I'm certainly thankful to have had the opportunity to experience that the first go around.

So now we get to hopefully merge the excellence of Creed with a sequel to Rocky IV. That's just going to be interesting. :cool:

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I think it's a wee bit jarring that Creed is a return to the realism roots of the series (that were happily rediscovered with Rocky Balboa) and the fact that Apollo Creed is dead is in one of the (awesomely) cartoonier outlandish entires, Rocky IV. So Creed being a direct Rocky IV payoff is something you WANT To see, even if Adonis isn't wailing on the proper Drago, it's still A Drago.

One odd thing I notice is in Rocky III and IV (I haven't seen V in decades and don't want to) izzat Rocky himself becomes a lot less funnier. He's chatty and funny in the first movie and Balboba / Creed it's a little odd that he just drops it. But I'd say Rocky, Rocky Balboa and Creed are of the more realistic, natural boxing movies and then you have Rocky III and Rocky IV which are really large, kinda dopey and cheesy films but very entertaining bombastic films.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I may use Creed II's release to revisit II & III as I'm unsure if I've ever seen them in their entirety and, outside of Mr. T, they kinda blur together more than IV, V, RB or C1.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I apologize in advance for this being a tad (okay, more than a tad) longwinded. Having read everyone else's posts, I believe at least it's not (too) redundant.

In many cases the Rocky films were a reflection of Stallone's own personal journey and the character was really his avatar. W/the original Rocky it's obvious, w/the struggling, hardscrabble hero getting his shot. In Rocky II we see the title character struggle w/life after a taste of fame, which surely mirrors Stallone's own attempt to deal w/the aftermath of Rocky. In III, Rocky has achieved a sustained success and now struggles w/keeping his edge in its wake. In all three of those instances they perfectly mirror Stallone's own journey from nobody to star.

Now w/Rocky IV you have a film that, like Stallone's other film released in 1985, Rambo II, is less a reflection of where Stallone was in relation to his career and more a look at what was on his mind at the moment. They became vessels for what he was feeling about the world at large. I re-watched Rambo II a couple of months back (my "review" is buried in the movie/watched thread somewhere) and I noted that while it has a "Rah! Rah!" reputation, it's not the flag-waving "jingoistic" film its critics claim IMO. Rambo is betrayed by people in his own government and Rambo's message at the end of the film is that he only wishes for his country to love him as much as he loves it. A commentary on how many Vietnam vets felt in the years after they came home w/no tickertape parade to greet them. Similarly Rocky IV has that "flag waving" reputation, and while it's a bit more deserved here despite the film's "Can't we all just get along?" ending, I think Rocky IV is a bit more clever as an allegory--highlighting the differences between the self made individual vs. the state made machine, w/Rocky and Drago epitomizing the two different philosophies of their respective countries--than its critics give it credit for.

Rocky V... is a mess. It was an attempt to get Rocky back to his roots, but it was married w/a (then) contemporary pop culture sensibility and is ultimately undermined by poor execution. Rocky Balboa is a do over, a "My bad" makeup for V and does right what the latter did so wrong. At the time Stallone had been excommunicated from the A-list and was relegated to the world of straight-to-video films. Balboa was not only a passion project for him, a way to send his signature character out on high note, but there are aspects of the man in the character he plays, bringing that full circle for both of them.

I thought that was it. Thought it should be it. Creed? Oh come on, really? Let it die, Sly. But I was wrong. Creed is almost a beat for beat remake of Rocky, but the men are so different that it feels fresh seeing this journey through the eyes of someone new. Jordan is great as the title character and his relationship w/Rocky (where Stallone has never been better) is the glue that holds it all together.

My rankings:

Rocky
    Rocky IV
    Creed
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky II
    Rocky III
    Rocky V

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I enjoyed Creed for the most part, but I don't remember it he wins or loses. I do recall good acting all around. I'll probably see Creed II eventually.

I loved Rocky IV and remember disliking Rocky V's street brawl and the whining of his son. I still have never seen Rocky Balboa.
    As for the first Rocky, it's great, but I remember it being kind of slow. I really don't have any memory of II and the only memory of III is it's the one where Mickey dies and Mr. T is in it. I do remember "Happy Birthday Polly" robot but probably less because of the more and more because Family Guy made fun a reference to it.

I'd probably agree with @Juke Skywalker ranking even though I haven't seen Rocky Balboa, but I heard good things.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is, especially if you come into as not your first Rocky film- as a kid, one more than likely saw Rocky III or IV first since they had that simpler, actiony appeal, but then you go back to the first film and find a much more character-centric drama, it can be a little jarring in terms of pacing.

It's just one of those examples of that point in the 80's where everyone just assumed we'd have droids within a couple years, as you were still in that post-Star Wars, post-moonlanding/space shuttle-anticipating sci-fi cultural peak that started in the late 70's and ran through the mid-80's, and so pretty much every entertainment form from film to TV to animation just had to include one.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Watching the trailer for Creed2, I'm kind of rooting for Vitkor at the moment because he looks like such an awesome monster.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The first Rocky flick that I saw was Rocky II and I was an instant fan, as it was both a rags to riches and a hero's journey tale, complete with an old sage to guide the way and a hero's theme song. And of course the proverbial dragon that need to be slayed. And being Rocky II was my introduction into the Rocky franchise, I found the original to be quite boring as a kid, and even now to be honest. Rocky II had all the classic and iconic elements of Rocky running up the stairs at the Philly Art museum. That scene is so iconic that much like grabbing a flashlight and pretending it's a lightsaber, running up a flight of stairs causes a person to celebrate like Rocky and lift their hands in the air and dance around a bit. Also, because of Rocky II, I tried to run around and catch my neighbor's chicken. True story. Rocky II, has the most iconic lines too:

Mickey: You're gonna eat lightnin'; you're gonna crap thunder.

and Rocky at the end of the film: YO, ADRIAN! I DID IT!

Mickey was such a great character. Nobody or character could ever fill his void.

Rocky II was constantly replayed on my local cable provider, and I pretty much watch it every time it came on.

All that being said, Rocky IV is definitely my favorite in the franchise because is was just a spectacle and a perfect example of an 80's film, with alot flair and the underlying theme of the U.S. is better than the U.S.S.R. Additionally, the pace of the film moves along quite well and there's a fun factor to it. And of course the training montage is probably the best of the franchise, as noted above, it has that element of natural/basic training versus the scientific advancement in sports medicine and tech training. I mean, when Rocky is running up the mountain juxtaposed to Drago getting roided up and seeing his punching power go off the charts was riveting. Moreover, Rocky IV has the best sound track in the franchise. I ended up buying the album.

Creed was a great rebirth of the franchise, as it didn't feel like a cash grab or made just to make Rocky relevant again. Adonis was given the same character development and treatment as the original film, and it's where the director Ryan Coogler was really able to showcase his talents and get notoriety. I was worried the film wasn't going to play the classic Rocky theme song, but they held it off until the right moment in the film and like most of the previous films, got me pumped up for the climatic battle. Additionally, Rocky does a nice job in filling the "Mickey" role.

I'm looking forward to Creed II, but I wish it was being directed by Ryan Coogler.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The soundtracks are usually pretty amazing to these films. I bought The Rocky Story on CD a couple decades ago (sigh...) which is basically a greatest hits from all the films, as well as two Vince DiCola tracks from Rocky IV. It reminds me that I really do need to get the rest of that score eventually. "War" is just so ridiculously epic.

That said, Creed reminded me that I also need to get some of Bill Conti's scores from the other films because those are also absolutely amazing.

Speaking of training montages- we've seen footage of Sly and Dolph training for this film, now here's Florian (the actor playing the son of Drago):

Indeed. It's actually kind of interesting that you can sorta start plotting the shift is perception from this point on in film- you start to get fewer outright evil USSR characterizations and more of a warming up to "Russians are people too" perspectives (though, of course, never going so far as to portray the USSR as good).

So, it's almost like you have the US and Russians coming together to celebrate Rocky in this film, then you see things like Red Heat where Arnold is still a hero yet a Soviet, and, ultimately, as the USSR falls in real life, we get something of a final reflection in The Hunt for Red October. Before Rocky IV, it seemed like you'd get more things like Red Dawn, by contrast.

I mean, I'm sure there are exceptions, but just off the top of my head, it seems like the more notable films of the time skim along that path.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah the "Hearts on Fire" montage only suffers in that it's following the straight up iconic "Eye of the Tiger" BUT the contrast between Rocky's training and Drago's robo-enabled steroid state sanctioned juicing is pretty great. And the veil has been lifted on state sponsored blood doping for Russian athletes, and since Drago Sr. was doing it, so it's probably REALLY likely we'll see some of that in this one.

In my head, if Creed = Rocky then I'm just expecting Creed II = Rocky IV.

15. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I gotta admit, after watching Florian train and reading more about him, I'm kind of rooting for Viktor at this point. I mean, he didn't kill Apollo; he's just an athlete.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I would have liked to seen a solo film of Drago first before having a fight with Creed in Creed II. I imagine that Drago was a disgrace after his fight with Rocky was stripped of privilege and opportunity, and thus spiraled downward. As a result, baby Drago grew up in harsh conditions and his last name made life ever worse for him. However, like many real life boxers, baby Drago used his plight as a strength and motivation to better himself. And as such, baby Drago fights his way around Russia trying to restore his family name and before he can move to the U.S. and fight there, he must fight Russia's national champion. After defeating said national champion, Baby Drago earns the support of his country and sets his sight on America and Adonis for Creed II.

Just a thought.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe their saving that for webisodes prior to Creed II?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, man- after Drago Jr’s presumed defeat by Creed Jr, Id love a Drago Sr. spinoff. His kid probably won’t be too happy about the loss because of his father’s legacy and Drago Sr probably would have to deal with the disappointment and resentment too... there’s room for one movie there.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I can't find it now but I think there's a Q&A with Stallone years ago on aintitcoolnews where he said that, yah, the post fight years were not kind to Drago to say the least.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone return to the gym in first Creed II photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second photo definitely builds anticipation for me, as I sense the gravitas in the photo.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Sith_Sensei__Prime

This and judging by that second picture it looks like Little Tony is now in his corner mirroring his father who was Apollo's trainer. It all comes from circle!!

@BigAl6ft6

I remember reading that too though with Ivan I am not 100% sure that Sly was talking about him physically but rather emotionally and possibility financially. The cannon to Rocky is very loose for obvious reasons but according to some it, Ivan was actually in the fight game quite awhile. He eventually turn pro and went undefeated but never unified belt or got to fight top contenders due to what happened I assume with Apollo and Rocky. Be interesting if Ivan is not broken down physically as much (Dolph is training for this) but rather angry and bitter over what happened to him never fighting the "big fights" even though his only lost ever was to Rocky. Perhaps his son is a way of acting revenge on the world at least in his mind. I don't know just spit balling some ideas here! :confused:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I really hope they don't play Creed II out where Drago's son is out for revenge because over three decades ago Rocky (who is now Apollo's son's trainer) humiliated his father in front of all of Russia on the world's stage. It's too cliché. Rocky III served its purpose with a beginning (Apollo dies during the exhibition fight with Drago) and an end (Rocky wins triumphantly against Drago in Russia; suggesting to the world that they should put an end to the Cold War already).

It's funny; thinking of the Cold War setting from Rocky III and comparing it to Creed II. I wonder how they'll portray Russia now. I'd imagine they'd probably stay out of politics altogether.

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (Nitpick: Rocky IV, not III)

Interesting thought, though. In the world, Russia has come somewhat full circle to being an antagonist again (though obviously nowhere near what the USSR was). The timing really couldn't be better if the film is drawing on any of that.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Diggy likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm not a Rocky fan, but if @vin says you're wrong @Ahsoka's Tano then you are wrong.