main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gonna Fly Now: Rocky / Creed / Drago

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediVision, Jul 11, 2018.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rocky appealed to the Soviet people and government for unity, but Drago just slouched in his corner with his trainers and Brigitte Nielsen - I don't think there was any sort of resolution to their issues.

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah it was clear that Ivan could care less about the Soviet Union

[​IMG]

But that doesn't mean his hostiles towards Rocky I think are resolved at all. If anything their anger towards each other might have only grown larger especially on Ivan's part particularly if the cannon stays that his only lost was to Balboa.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    We'll see. I don't think I'd put it past the writers to have a sort of Kodak moment between the former fighters at some point, maybe the end of the movie. It's not like they're going to have a rematch, right?

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Rocky at this point Rocky is 73 since he was born in 1945. Even for a Rocky movie him taking on Ivan in a rematch would be believable!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, maybe it's Viktor in their first match. I can't see why a random opponent would KO him if Viktor is to be the main foe, but maybe they have a story idea that we haven't thought of yet.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good mix of promo interviews/footage here:

Rocky IV is my favorite of the series, so if they go full-on nostalgia (The Force Awakens of Rocky IV), I'm 100% okay with it. Even down to using Vince DiCola for the fight soundtrack. C'mon.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Any chance Creed's son comes out to "Living in America" when he fights Drago?

8. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    In the first trailer, someone knocks out Creed, to the point where he ends up in the hospital. I keep thinking this is Viktor because how could you build up such a show-down if Donnie gets KO'ed by someone weaker? Anyways, I see two possible scenarios:
    1. First match is Donnie without Rocky (who wants nothing to do with it) and loses. Rocky returns for the rematch and Donnie wins.
    2. Rocky is with Donnie in the first match and Donnie loses. Rocky gets really sick (or worse) and Lil Duke is in Creed's corner instead for the rematch.

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Lil Duke shouting "No pain! No pain!" to Donnie from the corner during the Drago fight would be a perfect tribute to the great Tony Burton.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hope someone says “you vill loose”.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I VILL BREAK YOU

(he actually says that in the trailer)

Luke02, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    An interview with Lungren sez that Ivan Drago is a damaged man now so yah I'm guessing he poured a lot of his hate and resentment from losing his match with Rocky into making his son a full on weapon of revenge or something. DRAGOOOO!!!!

13. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm a huge Rocky fan (with the original being my fave followed by II and VI, IV being what I consider one of my cinematic "guilty pleasures," and V being completely removed from my personal canon:p).

I liked Creed a lot, but I have to admit I'm very wary of Creed II (though of course I will be planning to see it in the theater!). Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @heels1785

I got goosebumps when he said that. So pumped!

@BigAl6ft6

Seems like at first glance given what Dolph said that they are not going to follow what the current cannon of the character where he fought professionally after the fall of the Soviet Union and instead has been stewing for 30 plus years plotting his revenge.

@Pensivia

I think it is going to be pleasantly surprise you especially Stallone discussed about how this is a lot about exercising the demon of having Apollo fight Ivan in his place and how Rocky emotionally never got over that.

And totally agree. Rocky V does not exist as it goes Rocky I-IV, Rocky Balboa and then Creed for my marathon leading up Creed II. :)

BigAl6ft6, heels1785 and Pensivia like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm gonna just trilogy watch this - Rocky IV, Creed and Creed II. All the context you need!

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Is anyone else astonished as to how good this franchise is? Seriously, seven movies about a boxer(!), and only one of them sucks.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Only one?

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i don't acknowledge rocky v. but it's not a godfather 3 situation, where it's unwatchable.

the rest are brilliant movies. some have aged better than others, but the franchise is of great quality, and i'm as excited for creed 2 as i've been for any movie recently, including justiceavengers: fall of kylo ren.

Luke02, BigAl6ft6 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  19. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^
    gawd, the look on Apollo Creed's face there is what totally seals it that he just walked into a situation he was totally out of his depth for. It's like he realized he was going to die in about a second.

Jedi Merkurian and vin like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  23. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Saw it a couple of hours ago.....heres my quick take

Casuals might lose interest as its a little long in between the action if your not an uber fan of the series.....but I didn't mind it, thought the issues Donnie had to work through were compelling and the highs of this movie match most any in the series for me.

Viktor was a beast and out did his father in the intimidation factor.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Luke02 and vin like this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    After seeing Creed II, all I have to say is I am more interested now in seeing a Drago spinoff movie then Creed III.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was going to say the same thing. I wouldn't say Creed II has too little Drago in it, but it also leaves you wishing there was more of them. If that hallway scene at the dinner party in particular had lasted maybe 60 second more, I think I would have been satisfied.

Creed II was pretty good, though- not as incredible as the first and it skirts the line of being structurally too similar to Rocky IV but it remains grounded and the cast chemistry and performances remain its greatest strengths.

But, yeah, bring on Drago I.

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.