main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Some Star Wars Movie, Someday Box Office Thread!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Lee_, Dec 23, 2020.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I guess this is the Star Trek 14 box office thread now?

Glitterstimm likes this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    If this goes to theater i think it could make 700 million.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, kind of a head scratcher of a choice re: the writer. And we’re not talking someone who just wrote a subpar script. We’re talking about one of the worst scripts on the market. Trevorrow level.

Lee_ likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What is it that he wrote that’s so bad? His last two films were pretty well received. He only has a story by credit on Monster Trucks so whatever work he did on that film was probably heavily rewritten. The Invention of Lying isn’t great but it isn’t egregiously bad and it was also twelve years ago.

Darth PJ likes this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This thread might now revolve around the question of IF there will ever be a box office for this movie, rather than what it might be.

Disney is leaning heavily into reliance on streaming until they can get a movie together; so far that seems like a safe bet with the quality they are producing.

This movie always seemed like a strange way for SW to come back at the theater.

Was the KOTOR replacement movie wishful thinking by rumor starters? I don't see any sign that it is happening.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    2Cleva likes this.
  6. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah to be honest with the shape the box office is in now in general I don't think there should be any rush to get a movie out anyway. Eternals looks like it will be lucky to hit 300m WW and people are now celebrating when a movie gets 500m WW. People have come to expect a Star Wars movie to be a spectacle and that costs money. Until the box office gets back to the point where they have the potential to make a billion again I say just stick with streaming with a movie mixed in here and there.

darthvader88 likes this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There is plenty of time for the box office to come back in the next 2 years, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Directors seem to have a lot of disagreement with the execs at Disney....

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    To me star wars has always been successful in novels, comic books, and video games. Now over time we can add animation and live action tv series. I think star wars needs to just get away from the movie business for now and just focus on coming out with as many different live action tv series for streaming and animation, and build up its comic and novel, video game section as they will always be star wars. I guess GL may have been right after all, when he ended star wars after 6 movies. Star Wars was not built to be a Marvel franchise. So just leave the movie business for at least another 15 years and just come out with all the streaming stuff you can and build the franchise up. We could come up with a lot stories in between TPM and ROTS, and you know that TCW can always get new stories from numerous points of views now that the legends stuff don't count.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean Lucas himself was shifting Star Wars to T.V in his final years.

10. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Yes he was and that is maybe were we should be. We should get a Visions season 2, and other animated stuff and create even more streaming live action stuff. Look The Mandalorian has been super successful. Fans and critics like it and its won Emmy and Annie Awards. I mean those two are top notch industry awards.

11. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    To be honest I think Lucas just got tired of making the movies and that is why we saw such a long stretch of time between Ep. VI and I and why he said III was the last one.

I think if he had a little bit more of a gregarious personality we would have seen Star Wars movies made all throughout the 80's and 90's.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The RS box office is officially now $0.00

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Fun fact: it was officially zero even before it was delayed. ;)

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Or was it more like "awww.. no big deal, we have successful TV shows, movies can wait a bit....

15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    That. And honestly since the movie box office situation is totally unknown right now I doubt the people controlling the money were real excited about dumping 200 million into a project that may only make 300 or 400 million back.

Streaming just seems like the safer bet financially then movies. You can make a 10 hour story for half the price as a two hour onscreen story.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    True on the financial part. The further the delay, the more likely the box office will be more like normal. In the meantime, make money and build storylines in streaming.

2Cleva likes this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    You might as well cancel this thread cause RS is dead in the water along with it's box office.....

2Cleva likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think we’ll keep it open until an official source says it’s no longer going forward. :)

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If it's delayed and going to be rescheduled, LFL will tell us about that once they have new dates targeted. If it ends up being cancelled, they might not officially bring it up again.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think we will get the picture though if they announce a new movie and have NO announcement for this one (e.g. an update on its status).

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We don't lock threads just because LFL wants us to forget they announced all these projects that are never being made.

But to answer the OP definitively, the answer is $0. It will make $0 at the Box Office.

EHT, Glitterstimm and Lee_ like this.
  22. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    The good news if its to be believed is that Jenkins is still working on this and that it is not dead. That is good news and I agree what one poster said. The box office right now is not that great with China's movie holding the top spot in the total box office. Hoping that this Spiderman movie can surpass that and get up there.

Sarge and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Seeing the success of No Way Home makes me happy that we have a blockbuster for the holiday but also makes me absolutely infuriated that LFL has dropped the ball so much. The MCU keeps going and going and going and LFL cannot get a damn movie off the ground now!

2Cleva and Lee_ like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No Way Home was really fun, I admit. But Star Wars aims for a higher bar. I’m glad Kennedy is waiting to get the next one right. In the meantime, we get great TV shows.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Spiderman No Way Home had more gimmicks than Force Awakens did. If it didn't do really well than that would have been some serious red flags for the MCU.

Bor Mullet likes this.