main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Royal Handmaiden Society: Episode 8: A New Hope

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by HandmaidenAnde, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Cora

Lady_Cora Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2005
    Helloe everyone, I'm very glad that I managed to find this thread, seeing as I've always wanted extra info on the handmaidens. They had very small roles in the movies and that made me wonder what kind of people they were, what personality traits they had...

Right now, I'm seeking info on the youngest one, Yane. She is one of the main characters in one of my fics and, seeing as the movies only showed brief glimpses of her, I've had to build her personality and appearance from scratch. The action in the story takes place, during ROTS, thirteen years after the Battle of Naboo. In this story, Yane renounced her position as Handmaiden after Queen Amidala stepped off the Naboo throne. Her father wanted her to continue her service at the Royal Palace, or get involved in politics, but Yane firmly refused. Instead, she joined the Naboo Security Forces, rose through the ranks and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander, serving under Captain Panaka.

After the Emperor's coup and the beggining of the Jedi Purge, Yane is sent to Naboo as a diplomatic attache to the Imperial Court. However, her unofficial role is to keep an eye on Palpatine's movements and report them back to Naboo.

Even though the Naboo are (in theory) loyal to the Emperor, there are many who are weary of Palpatine's intentions. Beeing staunch supporters of democracy, the Naboo people do not like the new regime that now rules the Galaxy. Lacking a strong enough military force (and having learnt a great deal from the Trade Federation occupation), the Naboo do not risk to openly oppose the Emperor. So, they play a hidden game, keeping close tabs on the Imperial Court and reporting their findings to the fledgling resistance movement, that would one day become the Rebellion.

Physically speaking, I've made Yane to be of average heigth, with shoulder-length brown/black hair and dark eyes. She is a fairly good shot with a blaster, but her main area of expertise, when it comes to fighting is hand-to-hand combat.

Psychologically, she is a very determined person, who sets her goals and always strives to accomplish them. She is somewhat aloof, more of a quiet loner than a social butterfly. She has a pretty sharp tongue and an ironic sense of humor. Though usually a calm person, Yane sometimes loses her temper, but ends up bringing herself under control fairly quickly. Her flaws are the fact that she often fails to emphatize with other people, usually resulting in the fact that she ends up not understanding their motivations. Also, she is somewhat resentful, making it very hard for someone who has done something wrong to get back on her good side.

Well, that's all that I can think about at the moment. What do you think?

2. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    Yane is one of the handmaidens that does not have a lot of official information that is shared. You are right, she is the youngest and it is said that while she and Sache were on Naboo (since they were the ones that stayed behind), they helped organize the resistance. And if you are looking for pictures Candice Orwell played Yane.

Your story sounds like a good one. :)

3. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    Can I become a member too?

I, Alishu, pledge my full support to ensure that the RHS threads will continue in a fun but clean manner, in order to ensure our respect to the handmaidens whom we admire and adore.

As an official member of this thread, I will give my 100% support in order to make sure that the RHS continues in a fashion that is acceptable to everyone involved.

4. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Welcome, Alishu! Of course! C'mon in, make yourself at home.

Lady_Eirtae has most of the info.

In addition, we have often referred to Yané as "Silly Yané" due to her (in)famous smile during the Invasion of Theed scene. (You'll notice we even have a Silly Yané in residence in the RHS!) (Candace apparently missed her mark and walked a little too far, then smiled at her goof.) You can see pics of this here:
    Caught smiling: Silly
    Back to somber, my homeworld-is-being-invaded self: Oops! Better look serious.

And here's all we have on the RHS site: Yané

Also, Yané appears in the following scenes: Throne Room, the Invasion of Theed, Hangar Escape, Kiss Your Franchise Goodbye, and the Disco Ball Parade. (She may also be in attendance at Qui-Gon's funeral, but the only one we're relatively sure is there is Saché. The other 3 handmaidens are too blurry to identify.) Beyond that, anything we know of Yané comes from games or roleplaying adventures. She isn't even characterized in the children's books about Handmaidens, though she "appears" in them.

This is certainly NOT the end of the line on info...I'm sure there are things I've missed, and hope some others will chime in as they see fit!

Best wishes with your writing!

5. brat-of-kansas

brat-of-kansas Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    good to see that the RHS is still going strong after all these years...wow!!!

anyway, here's to many more handmaiden adventures. :D

6. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Speaking of handmaiden fan fiction:

If you haven't heard, the fan fiction boards are currently having their winter awards. Basically, there are a number of categories for each fanfic board that you can nominate stories in. If a story gets three nominations, it then qualifies to go on to the voting round, where they determine the winners.

Well, the Saga nominations are done, and, in the category of Best Canon Interpretation, Female (the official phrase) there are three handmaidens up for voting. Two versions of Sabé, and Cordé.

I don't think there were any handmaidens in this category for the last awards (though granted, I was fairly new at the time, so I might have missed something). Still, it shows that there is more handmaiden fan fiction. And people are reading it.

Good.

In the interest of fairness, I should admit up front that I wrote the story that Cordé is nominated from. And I am glad about that, though more because it adds to the number of handmaidens on the ballot than for my own (admittedly large at times) ego.

7. Roain_Xantos

Roain_Xantos Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    *gah* note to self- two weeks of being grounded= not good.[face_shame_on_you] did i miss anything?

-Roanè

8. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    Don't you hate being grounded? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol Question: Is Rabe the one that goes to the Senate with Queen Amidala? Or is it Eirtae and Sabe?

9. Lady_Eirtae

Jun 16, 2005
    Well for sure Eirtae goes. However, it is kind of hard to tell because the other one is harder to see. I might say Rabe because I bet Sabe needed a break by then ;).

10. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    Thanks, but that means I have to change that part in my story. lol

11. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    The official word, I believe, is that it was Eirtaé and Rabé, however, in the Anakin Can't Count scene, it's Sabé and Eirtaé who are in the Senate pod cloaks, so...

It's open for interpretation. It's been the position of several of us that it'd be important for Sabé to be there, in case she had to stand in for Amidala, so she'd know first hand what was going on. Then again, some people pointed out it could expose the fact that she looks so much like the Queen!

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Always glad to see this thread get some activity. This one is a true classic.

13. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    I like what ^ you said about the whole Sabe and Eirtae going w/ the Queen, cause that's what I wrote, and it would take FOREVER to rewrite three pages, and find a place to put them. Oh another question, when Amidala is talking to the senator, there is two handmaidens w/ her, and are they Sabe & Rabe, or Eirtae& Sabe, or Rabe & Eirtae? I'm at that part in my fanfic, so yeah lol Thanks!

14. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks, Stryphe! We're actually hoping to get Ep 9 of the thread going soon, as we've noted that too big threads of ours tend to, uh, poof rather uncerimoniously. (Speaking of which, when we do retire this thread, could we get it archived?)

Alishu, it's Rabé and Eirtaé. I presume Sabé was remaining unseen in case she was needed to decoy again, although Amidala ended up staying herself for the trip back to Naboo. There are several good screenshots as well as a game card or two that clearly show which two handmaidens were with her at this time.

15. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    Thanks! I've watched tpm over and over and over, I don't have the book yet, need to do that. Thanks again!

16. Roain_Xantos

Jan 21, 2005
    in the Anakin Can't Count scene

which one is that? :confused:

-Roanè <><

17. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    Where did you see that?

18. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Check out the gallery here for further clarification. :)

19. Lady_Eirtae

Jun 16, 2005
    You know, it is probably could Anakin couldn't count or things might have turned out differently.

*counts people in the room* "How can Padme not be here? There was Queen and three handmaidens..."

20. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I never thought of Anakin as being a bright person anyway.

~ aeryn

21. Roain_Xantos

Jan 21, 2005
    I never thought of Anakin as being a bright person anyway.

hey, be nice, he's cute. ;)

-Roanè <><

22. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
  23. Roain_Xantos

Jan 21, 2005
    awesome!! :) :)

-Roanè <><

24. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    Awesome.
    I looked at the link you left. I would have never noticed, guess I can't count either. lol

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's great for Keira, but I don't think P&P deserved as many nominations, especially not the costume nomination. Anyone a little interested in fashion history could see that the costumes ranged anywhere from then 1780's to the 1820's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.