main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC The RPF Interview Thread - now interviewing DarkLordoftheFins

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Darth Kronos, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh forgot to post the answers ...

20. How did you come up with Dark Luke in Twilight?

Oh that was simple. Star Wars always was for me about Anakin and Luke. Vader and Luke. If Anakin was good, Luke not raised by good hearted farmers but always aware of his power ... it was almost obvious he had to fall this time.

21. You mentioned the almost famous Palpatine entry scene ... if I recall right getting you a "Best Player" award with one post! How did you approach writing it?

I rewatched the RotJ Throne Room scene again and again and again getting his language, gestures and mannerisms and then tried to adopt them into a post.

Usually I just write but I put lots of effort into this one. Was fun though.

22. How did you feel about writing same characters under different GMs?

Usually that isn't a problem. The character is the same and only the plot changes. But usually it feels natural. Can't recall ever having felt it was "off". I think if that was a possibility I would not reprise him.

23. You did a lot shadow updating on Candlewood you said (and so did @SirakRomar), so how did approach writing horror?

That was quite a challenge. My first scene was the Beach Attack. I just tried to be as scary as possible. Not showing too much, keep the monster in the dark and the players guessing. Horror was surprisingly hard to pull off. How do you scare people who know it is just an update?

24. What was the hardest post you ever had to do? What posed the greatest challenge as a writer?

I had a few of those ... but I guess it was probably the posts as Tony/Anthony/Antonius in SotS, because he was not as dangerous than the other characters I did there, but had to have the same amount of mysteriousness and despair around him. I found that one harder to pull off than a millennium old monster.

25. How do you structure your OPs?

Always the same. A scene to set up the plot and mood of the game. A description of the game. Character section and the obligatory rules. Try to not make it too long and yet give enough info to garner interest. Funny enough my better OPs (in my eyes) had less traction around here. So I guess I am really no authority on this one.

26. What does the future on these boards hold for you?

Well, I got two more GM gigs upcoming. A one-on-one I wanna do in The Crossing universe in a few weeks and I will obviously Co-GM Original Sins, the celebration game for the 10th anniversary of Sins of the Saints in December. I make no secret out of my hope the game will revive the franchise in a way. But Fin is not so into it, haha. He wants a one-shot. We shall see.

Apart from this I play Luke in Twilight and Aren Voren in Rebellion. Both games will hopefully run for a long time.

Recently I auditioned for Batman and was beaten by my good friend Fin for the role.

So apart from this ... I assume this will be my twilight years. Some others have also mentioned they wanna retreat from GMing etc. as it is too time consuming. So the idea was born to do one last outing codenamed "Farewell Ride". There is a rough idea. Maybe 2020 will see that happening.

2. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    That being said ... I am allergic to kittens but consider them cute (we all desire what we cannot have I guess), my fave dinosaur is Tristan Otto in the Berlin natural history museum, a fully grown TRex who looks spooky as hell and ... Star Wars? Aren't that movies or something?

That being out ... I had a blast. Thanks everyone . Enjoyed this a lot.

3. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Everyone give a warm round of applause for the wonderful @LordTroepfchen!!! =D==D==D=

Now, give a warm welcome for @HanSolo29 as she takes the stand. :D=D=:D=D=

QUESTION TIME.

1. How do you like to craft your characters, and, more specifically, how do you like to develop them throughout the game?

2. What inspired you with the character of Aryan Graul in particular?

3. You've been in X amount of games now (I don't know the exact number :p). What are some of your favorites?

4. Judging from your username, I take it that you're a mild fan of Han Solo. Why is that? :p

5. Okay, what is it with you and Bill Pullman? :p

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    First of all, thanks for doing this, Kronos! I'm happy to be a part of it! :D

1. How do you like to craft your characters, and, more specifically, how do you like to develop them throughout the game?

Hmm...good question. Honestly, I don’t think I have one set method that I follow every time; it all depends on the game and the story that lies within. I like to ask myself two basic questions when I find a premise that catches my interest – how does my character relate to this particular universe and where do I wish to take him or her? I can usually build a character around that and flesh them out from there. Everything else falls into place after that, including development throughout the game. Again, a lot of that depends on the story structure and the situations that are thrown at the character along the way. In that sense, it’s a lot like real life. You may have a basic plan in place, but you can’t account for the unknown. Those kinds of situations help to shape your character and set them on their journey.

I also try to shake things up when I can and try something different...but that doesn’t always work out. My track record varies on that one, as I’ve been told that I have a ‘type'. But sometimes it’s nice to go back to what you know.

For example, I like to keep all of my old character sheets in an archive. Sometimes a game simply doesn’t make it and you don’t get a chance to really develop a certain character, or things don’t work out for any number of reasons. It’s nice to have the option to repurpose some of those characters and adapt them to new games and situations.

2. What inspired you with the character of Aryan Graul in particular?

Fun fact…this relates to what I was saying above. Aryan is actually repurposed from another game that unfortunately ended way before its time. It was called THE FOREVER WAR, and it was GMed by Sir_Draco (some of you may remember that name from back in the day). My character was a corrupt politician who rose through the ranks to become the Prime Minister of the Five Worlds of Corellia. When DRL struck and the game ended early, I wasn’t quite ready to leave the character behind. I shelved him for a possible opportunity later on.

Fast-forward 4 years to the height of The New Sith Trials games. I was reading Bloodline at the time, and I was intrigued by the character of Ransolm Casterfo – the Centrist Senator from Riosa. I knew straight-away that I wanted to try my hand once again at a corrupt politician. It seemed to fit perfectly with a story about Sith. And so, I dusted my previous character off the shelf, made some adjustments to account for the new timeline, and Aryan was born.

Of course, I may have also taken some inspiration from a certain character who gave a famous speech that ended with, “...we will not go quietly into the night; we will not vanish without a fight. We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!” :p

3. You've been in X amount of games now (I don't know the exact number ). What are some of your favorites?

Heh, yeah...it’s way too many to count! But hmm...this is a tough one. Well, I’ll start off with the obvious:

The New Sith Trials. The characters, the lore...it’s so rich and immersive, I don’t think I’ve come across another game series quite like it. It’s all-encompassing and could truly stand alone as its own universe.

– BobaMatt’s As Father and Son – the twists and turns, and the interactions between Leia, Han, and the redeemed Anakin Skywalker; it was the perfect AU

– Sinrebirth’s After the Awakening for getting me back involved in the RPF after a lengthy hiatus

– spycoder’s Darker Tides was our first true ‘slice of life’ game that I can recall on these boards. With the premise centered around your typical soap opera, it sounded pretty dull on paper, but it was a hell of a lot of fun! spy kept it fresh with great character moments and story twists.

– LordTroepfchen’s The Crossing. This little sleeper of a game really took off and developed into its own multiverse. LordT also had a great handle on cinematic storytelling, which really brought the whole thing to life. I quickly found myself falling in love with the characters and situations.

4. Judging from your username, I take it that you're a mild fan of Han Solo. Why is that?

Only a mild fan? LOL! You obviously haven’t seen me in my ‘hey-day’! But yes, Han remains my favorite character throughout the entire Saga. I was drawn to the concept of this regular guy getting pulled into an intergalactic conflict alongside space wizards and aliens and being able to hold his own. He didn’t need special abilities to make a difference and contribute to the cause. I think that is my biggest inspiration for almost always playing non-Force sensitive characters.

Oh, and it also helps that Han was portrayed by Harrison Ford. I mean, come on[face_mischief] [face_love]

5. Okay, what is it with you and Bill Pullman?

LOL! I knew that was probably going to come up sooner or later! [face_laugh]

Way back in THE FOREVER WAR, I randomly picked Pullman as my character’s face claim, and when it came to developing Aryan for NST, I never bothered to change that part of him. It kinda stuck.

The two now go hand-in-hand. When I envision Aryan Graul, I can’t imagine anyone else in that role. He is Bill Pullman.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    6. How is the experience playing one character in several different games?

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    7. Have you ever, or would you like to, play an established SW character?

8. Are there other fandoms you've role-played in: e.g., Marvel, Star Trek? :cool:
    9. Are there types of characters you find easiest to role play, and why?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    6. How is the experience playing one character in several different games?

It’s actually not as hard as I thought it would be. I’ve been playing the character for almost 3 years now, and over the course of that time, I’ve really become familiar with all the little quirks of his personality and what ultimately makes the character tick. I think it was @Sinrebirth who said that it’s like a second skin. Once you become familiar with all of the intricacies of a character, I’ve found that you can easily adjust things to allow them to fit into any situation. That has become the case with Aryan and games such as Twilight of the Force and Resurrection. And I have to admit, I’ve been having a blast playing in each!

7. Have you ever, or would you like to, play an established SW character?

Yup, that’s actually where I got my start! I was known as the ‘go-to’ person to play Han Solo in the RPF back in the day. It reached a point where I think I became ‘typecast’ in the smuggler/scoundrel roles. It wasn’t unusual for GMs to reach out and ask if I was willing to play Han in their games if the slot was open.

I have since moved on to focus on my original characters, but I wouldn’t mind doing it again sometime soon; it’s been awhile since I’ve had an outing as Han.

8. Are there other fandoms you've role-played in: e.g., Marvel, Star Trek?

There have been a few I’ve dabbled in over the years – Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Mass Effect, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the ones I can remember – but not consistently. My main focus has always been Star Wars and original works (such as The Crossing, Sins of the Saints, Darker Tides, etc).

9. Are there types of characters you find easiest to role play, and why?

Hmm...maybe not the easiest to play, but certainly the easiest to get invested in. And that would be any character that carries around a lot of baggage or is flawed in some way. I like that kind of drama and exploring some of those dark and nasty secrets a character may have lingering just beneath the surface. It almost makes them feel more ‘real’ and gives me something to really sink my teeth into. Plus, I’m a sucker for angst. :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  8. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    @HanSolo29

10. I've noticed that you're a GM. In my experience, you've mostly been a player, so what is it like for you, and how have you approached it, especially within an already established universe?

11. Tell me about the growing romance between Aryan and Syren. Where did that concept come from, and how did you two evolve the relationship throughout the latter two games?

12. What have been some of your favorite characters in the RPF (not yours)? Like, which characters are so interesting to you that you really look forward to reading an update about them?

9. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    @HanSolo29 - You still have a few questions pending, if you feel like answering. Otherwise, the next interview will start whenever I wake up.

Lost track of time, oooops :p

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Oops, sorry about that! I was going to answer these the other day, but then the boards crashed and I got off track! [face_blush]

10. I've noticed that you're a GM. In my experience, you've mostly been a player, so what is it like for you, and how have you approached it, especially within an already established universe?

Well, not a GM anymore. I had a good run with The Reckoning, but I’m not sure if GMing is something that I would return to anytime soon. I prefer the freedom allotted to us as players and having the opportunity to focus on a single character and developing them throughout the course of a story. I feel more connected that way. This isn’t to say that GMing isn’t fun; I did have a blast for a good chunk of my run, but it’s a totally different beast.

As for handling an already established universe, I had a lot of help from the people who were intricately involved with The Crossing, namely LordT and DarkLordoftheFins. Both of them were integral in terms of filling in blanks in the storyline and making sure that I stayed true to the lore already established in the previous game. It was a big challenge, but I think we were able to make it work.

I have to thank @LordTroepfchen once again for allowing me to play in his sandbox!

11. Tell me about the growing romance between Aryan and Syren. Where did that concept come from, and how did you two evolve the relationship throughout the latter two games?

Honestly, @QueenSabe7 and I never planned it. The characters were brought together for a mission by the GMs and things took off from there; they had an instant attraction for each other and we let things play out naturally between them to see what would happen. That turned into a wonderful romance that has spanned across two games now. I have to admit, I never imagined it would go this far, but it has turned into one of my favorite plot points throughout all of my games.

We recently started a 1x1 game to fill in some of the gaps in their relationship. Hopefully that will progress over time to help tell the full story. And of course, their tale is forever evolving as we head into the next chapter of NST. This next installment should present some interesting new challenges for the couple, especially with the recent head trauma Aryan suffered while in combat.

12. What have been some of your favorite characters in the RPF (not yours)? Like, which characters are so interesting to you that you really look forward to reading an update about them?

Oh man...there are so many!

Darth Syren, Haretisch, Hel, Insipid, Bellorum, Ike, and the rest of my fellow players in the NST; the entire cast of The Crossing – a very chilling performance by SirakRomar as Ayshe, Fin’s LEGO, Jane, Kawin, Matt, etc; the different personalities involved with Epitaph; Princess Feyna Organa and Pascale Rouser in Twilight of the Force...and so many more! The list goes on and on!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  11. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    [face_whistling][face_whistling][face_whistling]

Give a warm welcome to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha as she takes the reigns from @HanSolo29!!! =D==D==D=

Or else.

(Interview dates have been updated.)

Anywayyyyyyy

1. Do you prefer to write for established characters (such as Luke, Rey, Mara, or whoever), or do you like creating original characters more? Why?

2. a. Are there any character types you try to steer clear from, for any reason?
    b. As an opposite to that question, what are some of your favorite character types/personalities/whatever to write for?

3. Do you have any other fandoms you like to write for? :p

4. I've noticed you have a background in fan fiction. Could you talk about the pros and cons of each, and whether you have a preference between the two?

5. What character(s) are you most excited to develop in their respective game?

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the welcome and these are some awesome questions.

1. Do you prefer to write for established characters (such as Luke, Rey, Mara, or whoever), or do you like creating original characters more? Why?

I'm doing both, and even though I really like my OCs for being able to flush out their personalities and back-stories, I really enjoy doing established characters in a game, because they are characters I admire already and their personalities and strengths and weaknesses are somewhat known but can be expanded upon and the character can grow and change through the RP plots and it's a way to give them "further adventures."

2. a. Are there any character types you try to steer clear from, for any reason?
    b. As an opposite to that question, what are some of your favorite character types/personalities/whatever to write for?

I steer clear of the Sithly or sociopathic types and gravitate more toward the Jedi/pilot/slicer professions. I like writing characters that are outspoken, conscientious, snarky, and can work well and flexibly on a team.

3. Do you have any other fandoms you like to write for?[/b[

For RPs, I am sticking strictly to Star Wars, although if a Star Trek one came along, I'd be there in less than a minute. [face_love]

4. I've noticed you have a background in fan fiction. Could you talk about the pros and cons of each, and whether you have a preference between the two?

I've recently discovered the fun and exciting aspects of RPGs.

There's a free-flowing back and forth between the players and the action is intense.

Combo posts between players are like collaborating on fanfiction stories. The finished product is a blend of styles and character POVs. :cool:
    For RPGs, the plot has been outlined by someone else and I just fall in with the plot and fit my character into the twists and turns; for fiction writing, I am the one doing the plotting. Both are intriguing, because with someone else doing the RPG plotting, you don't know how the story is going to come out until you "get there." Then it's wow.

There's such a mix of characters in RPGs - it's quite the smorgasbord. I like the RPGs that make me feel I'm back in SW Legends. [face_love]

The only downside to RPGs that can be frustrating to me is when things stall out and/or play slows down, but once it picks up again, I'm back in it again, riveted by the pace and details of the scene playing out.

5. What character(s) are you most excited to develop in their respective game?

Rahara Varik in Emergence, an Intelligence Agent in the midst of the Empire.

Loriana Starskimmer in The Last Stand, a pilot who is mixing it up with a whole bunch of wonderful Legends legends, like Syal Antilles, Corran and Mirax Horn, Kyp Durron, etc. It's a real Corellian fest. [face_laugh]

Lerona Vialco in Rebellion -- caught up in a pivotal sector battle.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  13. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    6. What brought you to the RPF? How did you stumble over this part of the TFN family?

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I was checking for New Posts one day and found the "Guardians of Light". It was so lighthearted and fun in that thread, so I joined the tie-in RPG of "Legacy of the Guardians". It just grew from there. [face_laugh]

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh, it always happens like that. One little step, and you suddenly fall in and we have you. [face_devil]

16. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

QUESTION TIME.

7. What are some of your favorite stories to be involved with, be it ones you've created for fan fic or ones you've role played in?

8. As a small extension of the previous question, what do you personally look for/expect out of a game you join?

9. Would you ever GM a game in the future? Why or why not?

10. How long does it take to you to write a post that you are completely satisfied with? We are our worst critics, after all. ;)

11. What does the future look like for you in this subforum?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    7. What are some of your favorite stories to be involved with, be it ones you've created for fan fic or ones you've role played in?

For stories I write and RPs I participate in, I love the mix and blend of Legends characters and original characters. I love settings that involve the OT and post OT timeframes. My heart is in the Legends-verse ... it's where my knowledge and enthusiasm runs deepest.

I have read, but not written, stories that take place in the KoTR era. It's extremely fascinating.

The PT is also wide open for games, in my opinion. There's so much room for wiggling around in and inventing plots, since the Disney canon hasn't really fleshed out that time much, and even Lucas didn't past the movies and a few standalone novels.

8. As a small extension of the previous question, what do you personally look for/expect out of a game you join?

I love fast-paced action, likeable characters, and nerve-wracking villains, (like Aden Kya) [face_laugh] ... and tons of snark and oomph in the dialogue.

Now, if any GM wants to write in some mush for like Kyp Durron and Ahsoka Tano (with Lux or Rex), I'll totally be there.

9. Would you ever GM a game in the future? Why or why not?

Oh yes, I would love to, eventually. Co-GM first. [face_dancing] I would love to do a "short story" type game with Legends and original characters set after ROTJ-- with the rebuilding of the New Republic and all the "growing pains". [face_party]

10. How long does it take to you to write a post that you are completely satisfied with? We are our worst critics, after all. ;)

For a story, usually it takes outlining the scene and desired dialogue and then a couple read-throughs and look-overs by my beta reader(s).

For an RP, it's quicker, because I'm incorporating what others who are in the same part of the action have posted. I just look over my post a few times to make sure I have the details right, make sure things are accurate. [face_mischief] Dialogue for an RP is too easy and fun, since there's so much of a back and forth.

11. What does the future look like for you in this subforum?

[face_laugh] More and more games.

18. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

12. What, in your opinion, are your best and worst attributes as a writer?

13. What's your favorite era of Star Wars (not in the context of an RPG)?

14. What's your take on modern Star Wars?

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    12. What, in your opinion, are your best and worst attributes as a writer?
    Strongest aspects: relationship process of friends or family or couples; dialogue/conversation; introspection.
    Weakest points: strictly action driven scenes; a villainous OC.

13. What's your favorite era of Star Wars (not in the context of an RPG)?
    The OT era.

14. What's your take on modern Star Wars?
    I like the characters/novels that have been introduced moreso in the back-story type framework, such as "Master and Apprentice" and "Ahsoka" and the new series about Thrawn, and the novels featuring Han and Lando. :cool:
    "Leia, Princess of Alderaan" was a unique glimpse into young Leia.
    The whole First Order, Kylo Ren plot arc, as well as what happened between Han and Leia ... I keep that out of my heart-canon. :p

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    What character do you love to play the most?

Which character do you want to work with more?

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What character do you love to play the most?

Established characters: I am enjoying playing Mara Jade and Ahsoka Tano most. I admire them greatly and adore portraying them.
    Original characters: Sevrina Bendal -- a Noorian Jedi Knight and an ISB Agent, Rahara Varik. :cool:

Which character do you want to work with more?
    Corellians -- Jedi or pilots.

22. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    Today is your last day to get in any last-minute questions for @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, so hurry up if you haven't already!!!

1. What are your opinions on kittens?

2. What is your favorite dinosaur?

3. What does Star Wars mean to you?

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    1. What are your opinions on kittens?
    I think they're lower maintenance than puppies would be. [face_laugh]

2. What is your favorite dinosaur?
    When my nieces were growing up, they liked Barney. Does that count? [face_mischief]

3. What does Star Wars mean to you?
    Oh wow! This is quite the question! I love the heroic personal journeys, the adventures, the variety of cultures, and the snark and the couple/pairings that have resulted, Luke and Mara, Han and Leia, Jaina and Jag, Anakin and Tahiri. :D
    I am also fascinated by the entire structure of the Jedi -- Master and Padawan teams. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  24. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    Everyone give a round of applause for @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, and welcome @DarkLordoftheFins to the stand! =D==D==D=

Question time.

1. How do you generally approach storytelling as a GM?

2. GMing vs. being a player: which do you prefer (if you have one) and why?

3. How do you like to develop your characters as a GM? Since they have a lot more responsibilities than regular players, I assume that it would be more difficult to do so

4. Do you have a preference between Star Wars stories and non Star Wars stories? If so, what is it and why?

5. What was the most fun character for you to develop during a game (be it GMing or otherwise) and why?

25. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    We can add questions, right?

6. You're a man of many cultural references. Who/what are the biggest influences on your writing style?

7. What do you think separates a great game from a good one?

8. How similar are you in real life to the persona of "DarkLordoftheFins"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.