main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Aug 24, 2008.

1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    It's really easy to tally up your RPF posts, though. Go to post history, select the RPF from the menu, multiply the number of pages by whatever you've set your ppp to, repeat for NSWRPF, and voila.

2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Okay, I move that directional bit be added to the part of the first part of the adoptions program for wannabe Adopters. Because I didn't have a clue about it.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I don't know if this has been brought up...and I'm too lazy to check, sorry. :p

It would be nice to get adopters with experience doing their thing. It seemed ridiculous back in the olden days of the adoptions program that a true oldbie would adopt a newbie, send them on their way, and in little time, this still-green RPer would be taking on an adoptee of their own. It's wonderful that they want to get involved, but being an adopter needs a bit of an aging process. It's always the old wines and the old cheeses that taste the best.

What I'm getting it, I think, is that becoming an old dog of the RPFs can't happen overnight. The learning curve is there for a long while, at least a year, and that the adoptions program should not be seen as a necessary rite of passage into being a good player that you go through just to lose the newbie tag. It should be there to help new users and RPers integrate into our weird little world, to give them a set of training wheels and a push in the right direction.

It's not a bad thing to be a newbie! People will help you if you ask for it! You're more easily forgiven, you can experiment a bit more without worry...why the rush to become a veteran of the RPF in as little time as possible?

4. DarthCemeroX

DarthCemeroX Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    Old cheeses taste good?

The way I look at it though is as this, some people take pupils on (like Obi taking Anakin and Anakin with the blashpemous youngling). It just really depends if they've got enough knowledge and experience.

And while I agree with what was said, it's important noobies don't get too comfortable and must realize that they have certain rules and guidelines to adhere to as well as unspoken responsibilities. Yes it is a more easy going but shouldn't be a chance to get lazy.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking as a newbie, I can say that DarthCemeroX is dead on on this one. If you don't hold us to the same standard as veterans, the overall quality of RPing on the board is going to slip dramatically. I'm not an oldbie by any sense of the word, and I realize I've still got a long way to go, but I try to make sure there's a certain level of quality in my posts (E.G. Grammar and conventions, character portrayal, etc.), and I think it's important that other newbies hold themselves to a higher standard as well.

That's probably all I can contribute to this dialogue, though, haven't got anything noteworthy to say about the adoptions that hasn't been said.

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Oh, of course. But we can forgive them their trespasses until they know better. Mistakes are there to help us learn.

7. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    Yeah I'm probablly not one to talk....(thinks about past bans) yeah you know what... I'll uhh go ahead and support Peng's point all the way...

Go peng! Woohoo (balloons)

8. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Okie dokie

Time to give this thread another push...

The Mod Team is very interested in seeing this discussion continue...

I've done the work to get this position green-lighted in the MS for VIP red. That is now a certainty.

So the next step is to get the Adoptions Coordinator up and running.

We're opening the floor for suggestions as to who should be our next adoptions coordinator. From this list, we will PM the appropriate people and see if they are interested in taking the position. From those who reply with a positive, we (the Mods) shall choose someone to take the position, *if* there is a yes-replying candidate that fulfills the pre-requisites for the position.

And then, once we have this new person all dressed up in their red, we'll continue crafting this program.

Some Rules for this Stage
    1.) *People can nominate themselves*
    2.) This is an administrative matter, not an election. The ultimate decision as to who we choose, if any, is left to the Mods
    3.) People can suggest the same person more than once, and can suggest multiple people.

Reminders of what we're looking for
    The Coordinator must:
    1.) Be friendly
    2.) Be active
    3.) Be a model poster

Reminders of what the position entails
    The Coordinator will be responsible for:
    1.) Remaining active
    2.) Keeping the mechanism of the adoptions program updated and running smoothly
    3.) Providing a welcoming and nurturing environment for New RPFers
    The Coordinator will, to be degree of flexibility, also be responsible for:
    1.) Administering an Adoptions Game
    2.) Serving as a liaison to the WNU, to get new users from that board.

VIP Red Colors Conditions
    VIP Red colors and an appropriate title will be guaranteed to the Adoptions Coordinator for the duration of his/her doing the job the colors are designated for. Compliance with the duties of Adoptions Coordinator shall be assessed by the Moderating Team, and shall be strictly, but fairly (PMs shall be sent), enforced.

As always
    Any member of the RPF Moderating Team reserves the right to change any of the above to reflect changing circumstances and new information.

So go ahead people: Who should be here? Let your voice be heard!

-I_H

9. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    "People can't nominate themselves"? That may work for the awards system, but you'd think that if someone was willing to run this sort of thing, they could at least put themselves forward and have someone else act as a second. That way you don't get anyone who might feel pressured to take up a large responsibility.

10. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I would have to second LightWardens point, some might be willing and able but not nominated by the few that actually have been or will participate in this forum for nominations. Also I still agree that a part of the leads abilities beyond color and what not is also that she/he be given the ability/choice of taking on a second in command of the program to aid with duties, delays, and DRL if and when it raises its ugly head.

Although I would have to dissagree with the pressure issue, so long as they get to reject privately in PM, pressure largely is negated by being on the internet and not face to face. Except internal pressure which can be easily dealt with by a few Modly by lines in their PM to possible candidates.

Also, I nominate LightWarden:D

11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Fair 'nuff LW...

*People can now nominate themselves*

Annnnndddd..

Adoptions Coordinator can have a second in command, to be chosen among the willing by the Adoptions Coordinator. No colors will be given, and Mods reserve the right to check abuse (the scenario: if the 2nd in Command starts pulling more of a load then the main coordinator).

Anyone else want to get in on this?

-I_H

12. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    what am i doing now? :p

13. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    I gues I'll put myself up for COordinator

14. jedi_killeroak

jedi_killeroak Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    I would nominate a few, but it seems RL has their number already. So I will watch here in the dark corner and see what turns up.

Though I do want to say, I am glad this is up and running again. Maybe IBOP can come again.

15. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    **Large crack of thunder, and smoke...as Ktala rears her head...**

Ahem. Greetings to all.

I've been reading a bit on this subject, and have a few comments to say about the Adoption program.

For one, I do understand the idea of the Adoption program. Trying to get help to folks who need it, and to guide others on games that they might enjoy, while learning the rules of the board. Nothing wrong with that.

That being said, there was no Adoption program that I knew about, when I joined. I was already a gamer. I just kinda watch a few games that were interesting, saw how folks posted, and then asked to join a game. I was lucky. Every couple of years, the Adoption program has to keep being pumped back to life. Maybe we should look at the program a bit more.

From a newbie point of view. I would REALLY hate to feel like I am being SINGLED OUT. A huge board like this one, with many games bring run could indeed be a bit daunting to a new person. But not all new people are NEWBIES. And lets face it, we really CANT make anyone who dosent want the help, to take it. But at least, we CAN make them feel comfortable about being offered help.

STOP CALLING IT AN ADOPTIONS AGENCY.

Im not an orphan little newbie, that needs someone clutching at my hand. That is NOT to say that a little help would not be appreciated now and again. Even some of the folks who consider themselves...in the middle, could probably use a brush up every now and then. Maybe Darth RL pulled them away from the boards for abit, and now they are back, looking for a game.

Think of it more like a LEARNING CENTER.

Where ANYONE..NOT JUST NEWBIES..can go, to get help. Or where others can show up to OFFER HELP. And its not just for learning the rules of the boards, and how to play.

How about our new GM's?? Folks who would LOVE to learn how to run a game, but are scared to death to jump out there on their own. It would give them a chance to get their feet wet, by running a MINI campaign.

Something that was say..less than a month in real time. Dont have to spend a long time, working something up. Maybe see if perhaps an idea could work, before trying it out on a larger group of people. Mistakes could be made in the learning center, and most importantly:

THEY WILL NOT GET CHEWED OUT, IF THEY MAKE A MISTAKE!!!

And THAT point must be EXPRESSED. This is a place to learn. The ONLY one who can offer correction, would be the person leading the teaching, or the head person who is running the academy or center. PM's to the person, to let them know what they are doing wrong. Only post to the game, if it is necessary, in order to keep the game going...something very critical. Because we have ALL made mistakes.

Because, we know, if they make the same mistakes in a regular game, more than likely, the GM, if not the other players are going to SAY SOMETHING to that player. Having a group of people fussing with you, tends to give off the wrong impression. That your just picking on them, and they either run away, and we lose a potential GOOD player, of they sour, and do nothing but complain and fuss about how everyone is always picking on them, without seeing that in truth.

We teach them the BASICS of how to play, and let them find their own style of play as they learn. We tell them, while yes, spelling is VERY IMPORTANT, if they want folks to respond to their characters, we will NOT act like spelling Nazis. We DONT want to lose potential players, nit picking about every little thing. We want to give them a chance to learn, and feel like they are WELCOMED.

CAUSE LIKE IT OR NOT, WE NEED THEM.

They are the one who will take over when we are gone. We have all experienced the boards, when they get...SLOW. It can get agonizing sometimes. But as with all things in life, people get busy. We need new faces to keep things moving. And I personally, will take someone who might make a few flubs, as long as they are WILLING TO LEARN..and WANT TO LEARN the right ways of playing a game. I dont want someone with a stick where the sun dosen

16. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
  17. jedi_killeroak

jedi_killeroak Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2005
  18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Well, I have to have something to put my liquor in!

:D

19. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    So... can I nominate Ktala? :D

20. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I think you just did.

Although we're also giving some thought to a different paradigm at the moment on Olympus. As Jesus once said, "I'll get back to you."

21. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Something different, hmmm?

Dont keep us waiting TOO long. Would LOVE to find out what you guys have in mind!@!!

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    If only to be the candidate no one will vote for...

I self-nominate my, er, self.

23. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    An aside:

Since adoptions has been referred to the Mod Squad for a special trans-board project, I'd like to look at something else for the time. Once we have a plan set out in MS, we'll run adoptions by this thread for any corrections to the program that you alls can see.

So lets then talk about this idea:

The 20 Best RPGs of All Time Project

I really just want some general feel for this. Would you like to see it happen? Saint and I are thinking that a set group of mostly oldbies (though we'll also have some newbies) get together in a private board and deliberate on what RPGs here have been the best, and then rank (and maybe make a write up for) them.

The purpose is two fold:

1.) Just for interest's sake. We have awards every quarter that compare the games running at any one time, but we've never had the games ranked against each-other throughout history. It would be a best of the best sort of thing.

And 2.) It'll be a good guide for GMs. If they need ideas, they can look at the countdown and see whats there.

Without getting too bogged down into the details, whats our thoughts on this? It is, as Lightwarden has said before, a little bit of primping our own feathers, but maybe it would be fun and educational?

-I_H

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I like this idea, and would probably choose seven of the games I have been in, or that have coped best with me...

25. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003

I do like the idea of looking at the games that have worked well, as it's nice to step back and appreciate the effort that people have put into this forum over the years, and the fun that they have had in doing so. I have a couple of concerns, though.

I think it's quite predictable which games will make up the majority of the list- the problem is then in ranking them. People can find it hard to appreciate successful games in which they have not participated.

So how do we judge them so directly against one another? How do we judge if IBOP was better or worse than, say, Galaxy At War? What does 'better' even mean in this context? I'm sure the IBOP players enjoyed their game just as much as the GAW players enjoyed theirs. Podracer, WotG, System Lords, the 007 series, the Xavier Institute series- how on earth could we judge which of these is the 'best'? What's the criteria? Thread length? Player numbers? Awards won?

The truth is that there's no objective way to separate the best of the best. Some people love intricate essay-length posts, some people love short and snappy, some people love lots of freedom, some people love heavy GM involvement, some people love episodic games, some people love long epics. The best games all have differing styles. To rank them would be to advocate one above the other, and people might be a little alienated by that.

Perhaps it would be better to have a group of twenty of the RPF's favourite games, but not ranked. It would remove the suspense of a countdown, but prevent arguments.