main
side
curve
  1. Happy Holidays

Greetings Guest, wishing you a safe and merry holiday season!

2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The RPFs Public Works Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Jul 8, 2020.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, I guess those things are pretty different for people. I certainly will have read the text by Saintheart back in the days. I read all of it. Game Masters Guild I lurked. Market Theory. How to GM. Common Mistakes GMs make. I lurked games by guys who were good at GMing, started watching for patterns by my favorite GMs. I just had a profound interest in GMing before doing it and I liked that I had some stuff to read. Gave me some confidence I was prepared well.

LordTroepfchen likes this.
  2. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Okay, probably gonna wait until a decision has been reached then before I write anything.

I personally liked the old ways of educating GMs much better than what we have nowadays. Probably the only thing that as better back then.

3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I am not entirely convinced that is true for everyone. Nothing against Hooper, but I never spend much time there and somehow I got to know people around here. Mostly by playing with them. If we are honest, there are ten people you meet regularly there and also ten users you never do. Not everyone enjoys Hoopers. Also the last three newbies I got aware of all showed up in games first. Not sure if any of them posted ever in Hooper. So while I think anybody going the Social thread way is probably doing a smart thing, we should not entirely ignore those who do not. People come here to play post-by-post games, not to get to know people.

By the way I read that article many years ago and back then I kinda liked it. Today I feel it’s is a little outdated indeed.

Sounds to me like a really good idea. We could never agree on an authority anyway.

What do people think this compilation should include? Who would be willing to contribute?

Could you elaborate a little? What were the „old ways“ and what are the „new ways“?

4. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    We used to be more support-oriented back then. The Game Master Guild was actually a place where people brought their OP and got constructive feedback. We had the adoption program. I felt GMs could get a bit more help on how to do things. When you had an idea it was rather common to write a PM to someone and discuss it. I know, still happens, but you know what I mean.

Nowadays GM Group has become more a discussion board, where someone voices an opinion and then someone disagrees and they exchange arguments. Totally cool, but I do not think it serves the same purpose.

Think that shift came after the dreaded MOVE. Also Newbies dried up then.

Anyway, not hot for the workload, so if we want this to be a community effort I am all for it! Good idea @Imperial_Hammer!

DarkLordoftheFins likes this.
  5. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I trust Sirak and LordT to come up with the How To. I say we start there. Of course, if they need group input, isn’t that what this thread is for?

And I lean to what Reynar suggested: the social threads should be pinned. They are important and I think they are engaging welcome mats for new users. If you don’t want to participate, that’s fine. That’s a conscious choice that certain users make and that’s fine. But for any new members, whether they post there or not, seeing a social thread where they can pop in and see our personalities outside of our characters I think would be beneficial.

I don’t normally jump on ideas and push them but this seems like one that should’ve been implemented a long time ago.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 9 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've been told that the moment I pin something, nobody reads it anymore, but that's not generally my view of pinning threads so I've no issues pinning something like the social threads.

EDIT:

I've been thinking and I'm inclined towards the anthology/compilation idea more, when it comes to advice. I am very happy to throw my hat in the ring as editor, especially as its definitely important we get this right as a group. I want to facilitate what we're doing as much as possible.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  7. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Totally. I look forward to see the results. [face_peace]

8. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Why don't we go ahead and start moving towards that anthology/compilation idea then. While the mods will serve as editors, its probably a good idea to have some quality-control rules elaborated on the first post. These could be useful hedging against any user coming in and submitting a two sentence l33t-laden post. Anyone have any suggestions here? In the spirit of an anthology, I don't think we want to make the restrictions too onerous or restrictive. We want it to be open to a variety of viewpoints after all - this is the whole point of it. But if it is completely open, this diminishes the thread's teaching ability. There needs to be a good middle ground here IMO.

Some ideas to kick off discussion
    • Some minimum post length (A paragraph? X sentences?)
    • Some minimum user experience (post number?, GMing a current game?, winning at least one "best" award?, length of time on the RPF?)
    • Constructive
    • Rules compliant (no fishing, flaming, etc)