main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy The Saga of the Nameless Lands ~ A Dungeons and Dragons 4e Campaign

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Ramza, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Yeah at current all those times are good for me.

2. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
  3. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Well Chukles, I 'd probably put the 12 in Strength and the 14 in Wisdom, but in any case you need to get some paladin powers that are charisma based. Anyways, I'd recommend replacing Holy Strike with Virtuous Strike, since it is better in every way for you (radiant damage, uses Charisma so it hits better and does more damage, counts as a melee basic attack so you don't have to pay the melee training feat tax and can use it on OAs and charges, and it gives you a +2 bonus to saves (probably until the end of your next turn, but I'd have to wait to see exactly what it does once Divine Power is officially released)). I'd also recommend replacing Valiant Strike with Enfeebling Strike so you can actually hit things with it and do an after-effect. I see that you've replaced your encounter and daily with charisma based ones, which is good, though I'd recommend replacing Fearsome Smite with Shielding Smite, since unless your Wisdom bonus gets better than +2, Enfeebling Strike does the same thing as Fearsome Smite and is at-will. Radiant Delirium is a good choice though.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd consider dropping the odd numbers in favor of boosting Wisdom, actually.

Regarding the sessions... how would Wednesday the 29th at 10 PM EST work for everyone?

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    works fine for me.

6. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    lol. I figured there would be issues, but that's fine. I admit I know nothing. :p

However, in the PHB's I have, I couldn't find virtuous strike. I know you mentioned that, but in either the online cahracter sheet thing or the books I had it couldn't be found.

7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    That's because it's not in any of those. It's in a book called Divine Power that expands on the options available for divine characters (Avenger, Cleric, Invoker, Paladin) and comes out this Tuesday. That link I keep tossing up is from someone in another country who got it early and is posting options from it.

8. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    Ah. That would make sense. I didn't quite get that fro the link, I guess. :p

But, thank you LW. I appreciate the help. :)

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Well I've played 4e before, didn't like it but thats probably because it just came out and my DM and mates had no clue and I'm use to 2e and 3.5e. Can I still roll up a CS and be put on the waiting list?

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    By all means, Mitth, the waiting list is always open.[face_peace]

As I'm sure most of you know, I'm on vacation in California at the moment. The update will be done when I can get it done.

11. Tyo

Tyo Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2009
    OOC//May I please join this board?

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Hey folks, reminding you that the next session is tomorrow, Wednesday the 29th, at 10 PM EST.

As for the update, I've decided there's not enough going on for it to stand on it's own merit. I mean, really, the most pertinent piece of information is that we're in the middle of a fight in the woods. So it's been folded into the next update, which hopefully will be up a mere one to two days after tomorrow's session.

EDIT: WAH! 10 PM EST! 10 PM! I accidentally posted the Pacific Standard start time. >_>

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Apologies for the double post, but as promised...

Tale II ? You?ve Got To Ask Yourself One Question: Do I Feel Lucky? Well, Do You, Punk? Or Raining Blood

Questions without answers. Answers without questions. And sadly no connection between the two - this would have wrapped everything up in a neat, little bundle: such was the state our heroes found themselves in the next morning. Truly, though, this date, the day upon which they would begin their great quest, was a blessed one, and the weather provided an apt metaphor to this divine favor.

The skies were grey and heavy rainfall was eminent.

Nonetheless, the market was as bustling as ever. The almighty dollar was a powerful motivating force (Indeed, for it motivated our protagonists!), and the barterers and salesmen were so densely compacted that a good fifth of Sarn?s Pass was completely incapable of being navigated through. Nonetheless, our heroes pressed on, and eventually they arrived at the Sarn?s Pass town hall, which curiously enough did not require appointments unless it was decided upon that they were required. The oddities did not end here, however, for no sooner had the intrepid band of adventurers entered the main chamber than they were confronted with a truly massive tapestry depicting the town?s founding by Sarn the Wanderer, a sizeable mahogany desk, immense sets of double doors with gigantic door handles? and a very small halfling secretary who apparently had a king-sized hangover.

Do you like that bit I did there with the sizes? Thought it was quite clever myself, hence why ? Eh? Oh, all right, I?ll get on with it.

Much fun was had tormenting the poor secretary - whose pain was only shared by the party cleric, Finde, who had also taken a bit too heavily to the brew the night before ? until at last they were admitted into the office of the mayor of Sarn?s Pass. Percival Bathory Quorth was a rather flamboyant dandy with the rather bizarre habit of constantly claiming that all good news was, in fact, ?SPLENDID!? His taste for red attire certainly did nothing to help ease his reputation as more of a showman than a politician. He nonetheless came from a long line of Bathory Quoths, the most ancient ancestor being one Hammerheart Bathory Quorthón, who settled in Sarn?s Pass alongside Sarn himself all those ages ago, and when old Sarn?s line eventually ceased to be it was the Quorth?s who had stepped up to the mantle of leadership, and they had ruled for no less than the last 500 years.

Of course, none of this is really pertinent to our tale, so let me instead draw your attention to the other person in the room, the dragonborn paladin Kohl Todarr, man-at-arms of Sarn?s Pass. His attitude was a bit haughty, if no nonsense, and he had developed a reputation in the town for getting the job done. So to say he looked down on our heroes with a bit of contempt would have been a mild understatement. However, mayor Quorth, desperate as he was to rid the town of the goblin menace, hastily agreed to a sizeable award of 700 gold and spoils for the elimination of the fiends, and was even kind enough to throw in a map for their troubles.
    This map left something to be desired, and it didn?t take a cartographer to realize that it was only helpful in as much as it pointed in the general direction of the tomb where the goblins had holed up. Of course, even this information would have been indecipherable were it not for Elial?s knowledge of the scribble-like runes of the dwarven language.

With the map to guide their way and Kohl confidently in the lead, the party set out for the mysterious tomb, which lay deep within the Caghon Forest. No sooner had they begun down the path than it began to rain. But luck was on their side, and as soon as the path gave way to dense foliage, the rain transformed into a massive downpour. The group hesitated for only a moment before plunging into the deep wood, determined to discern a path through to the tomb. They met with mixed results, but eventually they made the

14. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    You totally forgot to mention Kriv slaughtering 3 goblins in one fell swoop... :p

Tempest Dance FTW!

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Your friendly neighborhood DM here, reminding you the session's tonight.

We're looking at a pretty combat intensive dungeon crawl, so plan accordingly. Otherwise the Tomb of Bodrin could easily last us the whole month.[face_hypnotized]

16. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
  17. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Perhaps a more blow-by-blow account? Include all the cool moments such as the Tempest Dance triple-kill. :p

Ten minutes to go! This week I will be on-time and prepared. :D

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Chukles, with Valiant Strike, you don't need Melee Training. Valiant Strike is superior in every possible way, since it can be used as a melee basic attack (Melee training just allows you to use a different stat for your melee basic attacks, whereas powers that can be used as a melee basic attack allow you to do the same thing plus the power's nifty alternative abilities). Admittedly you might be disadvantaged if you're fighting an enemy with radiant resistance, but if you're up against an enemy with radiant resistance, something has gone horribly wrong.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Right, so, as I pointed out in the chat. Combat! It needs improving.

Now, yes, I realize I need to prep maps in advance. I tried to this time, the code got messed up. But maps aside, it's still taking way too long. So we need to come up with an accelerating process.

20. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Right, so, I may have a solution ...

Using Gametable with Hamachi

Gametable v2.0.RC7 - Java-based map client.
    Hamachi - virtual LAN client. Works for Windows, OS X and Linux.

I believe everyone knows how Gametable works because we tried using it initially but had problems connecting ... that's where Hamachi comes in. Hamachi basically allows us to create a fake LAN we're all on and then use those IP addresses to connect - it's fairly user-friendly and will walk you through using it the first time you boot it up, so I won't go into it here - and that should get past all those nasty 'Failure to connect' issues we have.

In a nutshell, we all join a virtual LAN, someone hosts, and voila. So, steps:

1) Download Hamachi, install, etc.
    2) Join network. I've created one (RPFNet, password People) which we can use - it should work even when my computer is offline.
    3) Someone (Ramza, presumably) hosts a game on Gametable. Rather than use the IP address according to Gametable, we connect using his Hamachi IP, which we can all see in the network list.
    4) Gametable works! Everyone can put stuff down, move 'em around, etc.

Many thanks to Bassil for helping me test this out. :D

ETA: This setup should work with MapTools, but I haven't tested it out yet. It's rather shiny - more features and feels more streamlined, but the inevitable downside is that it's more memory-intensive (might not run so well on older computers) and has a steeper learning curve.

21. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Except, the fact that me, and I assume Kev also, can't get Gametable to work period.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I can't get Hamachi to install, so it looks like we get to troubleshoot. :p

Kahn, if memory serves, your running Linux, correct? This may be of some assistance: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialJava.html

Edit: No dice. I'm not going to mess around with my root account, so I can't install it. Not to mention I got an earful from my tech-savvy dad about security risks.[face_hypnotized]

Edit2: Valid earful, as it would seem. There's really no good reason for me to have to bypass every security filter I've got to install this thing, and it's made me a bit skeptical about it.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, yes, double post. Working through Kahn's CS to make his character more Wisdom-centered, I noticed his stats were... well, not possible. So, I need everyone to keep in mind that stats are based on a point buy of 22 off of 8,10,10,10,10,10 and points are not necessarily bought one to one. Tomorrow I will be checking CSes.

This isn't your fault so much as my fault for not making the instructions completely clear. As such, I'll be available to assist with revisions.

Thanks, and our apologies,
    The Management

24. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    This is my noobdom shining through.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Back to combat and the streamlining thereof -

Obviously, the grid isn't working the way we've got it now, the computer programs are all of questionable functionality, and I might propose the following solution:

1. Always assume there is a square coordinate system with A - Z listed on top, from left to right, and 1-26 listed down the side, from the top.

2. The GM will state all starting locations for monsters, player characters, obstacles, and notable terrain features/walls. If no walls are listed, it is assumed all 26 squares are valid. If the terrain is overtly complex, the DM may choose to post a terrain map with the grid.

3. The players and the GM will keep track of all positions at home, on graph paper, eliminating the need to update cumbersome charts. All movements of all characters will be described using a "From Letter,Number to Letter,Number" eg "From A2 to B4."

4. Powers and abilities that target a specific area will have the designated area noted. Eg, "A 3x3 Square from A3 to C5."

5. Should an apparent discrepancy arise, the GM will make a judgement call and that shall be the extent of the debate.

Now, this seems like more work for the players, and it is. But it also means less time updating a damn chart and more time fighting, which should expedite the process overall.

In addition, regardless of whether or not we go with this system, you should plan your actions in advance so they can be posted quickly. Also, know what your powers do. The PHB and DMG both recommend power cards, where you keep all your powers' descriptions and key notes listed, for quick reference. Lastly, know Chapter 8 as thyself. It really is the one stop shop for all things combat. You don't need to necessarily know about partial versus near-total concealment, but you should know anything related to your powers and abilities and the types of actions you can take.

Basically, the name of the game is player preparation. Know what you need to know, and trust me to handle the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.