main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    This is literally only the second time that I have seen that acronym, since encountering it in an Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, in the Eighties.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Yay, me! I'll need to try harder, like Avis Rentals.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks, everyone, for your perspectives on this multifaceted issue. :)

Well, both, in a way. :) I am curious about this topic precisely because I've had recent experiences with it myself on sites other than this one—good recent experiences, but ones that got me thinking of these matters and wondering "is it just me?" But as I've seen from the responses thus far, it's not just me, and that many of us here have been in similar situations now and then in our fanfic careers. @};-

First off: this doesn't sounds neurotic or horrible at all, and you are most certainly not alone in feeling this way. @};-

I definitely have also experienced that feeling of inadequacy creeping in sometimes when reading stories or fanlore about characters or topics that I too have written about: gosh, look how serious/well-thought-out/thorough/in-character/etc. this is, whereas my own stuff is self-indulgent fluff by comparison. And it definitely can be hard to turn off that impulse toward comparison. I wonder if it can help to look at the comparison more as an "apples-oranges" one than an "apples-apples" one, focusing on the differences: this other writer may particularly excel at aspect X of the character/topic/etc., but I particularly excel at aspect Y. That gives me a way I can frame my comment to that author: "I particularly liked the way you wrote aspect X."

About the commenting side of things, I wonder if it would help to have some kind of incentive to comment on some of those other stories? There's the Read and Review Tag thread, of course—or I wonder about setting up some kind of read-and-review partnerships or small groups where people commit to reading and reviewing a certain number of the other person's or people's stories over a given time period (month, three months, six months, etc.)? Tagging the mods, @Briannakin and @mavjade, to see what they think of that idea (which may arguably be too similar to the Read and Review Tag thread). Anyway, I could see something like that being at least a good first step toward calming some of those insecure feelings, because, after all, you know that other person will be reading and appreciating your own work, too! :D

I'm right with you about social media discussions; I tend to be very, very selective about those, because there's so much questionable stuff out there on just about any character one can name.

Great discussion, people—let's keep it up! :)

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This is a great way to look at it, Findswoman. I have never thought comparatively. Perhaps, I am lucky in that respect. I look at an other FF writers works in the same way I would a profic writer's work. If I like it, GREAT! If, I don't I set it aside. Personally I think there are better fan fic depictions of Hera and Kanan in FF than in the profic novel that was produced. I think it also comes down to why you write. Admittedly, I write to please myself as well as my readers. And yes, I succumb to the malaise of few reviews or none, but it hasn't stopped me. Validation in this world of FF is important. But so is reading good stories. I love it when I get on to a good story and want to let the author know how it affected me. However, I will advocate for this site all day long when it comes to how new writers are fostered by board veterans. I was fortunate enough to have a great 'master', @Zonama, back in the day. She, and others taught me the value of responding to comments and how important it is to an author that they received comments. This site also never stood for trolling or negativity in comments unless the author request 'con-crit' (constructive criticism). As I am like to do, I have probably stream of conscious-ed my way into a corner.

All this to say, I encourage authors who compare their work to others' too harshly, to let down their guard. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you do like it, ENJOY THE HECK OUT IT!

I absolutely love the phrase 'self indulgent fluff'. Yes! Of course it is. That's why your readers love it. To tell the truth, I think FF as a mode is self indulgent and that is why it prospers.

P.S. Y'all can feel free to PM me anytime. :) [:D] [face_skull]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    As always - but especially now that Mav is away and I'm like 110% an ADD mess drowning in stress - if you have an idea for a resource thread, please PM us. I'm all for encouraging more comments, but my brain is a mess right now.

As for the current discussion, here are some of my random thoughts from my poor brain. Like brodie, I've never felt like I had to compare myself to other fanfic writers. There's some things I'm bad at (descriptions) and other things I'm good at. Some of my fics (IMO) are masterly crafted works of literature; others are pretty much comprised of poop jokes. But none of that really matters. I have fun writing whatever the whims want me to write. I love writing "self-indulgent fluff" and, frankly, that's the type of fanfic I love to read too. There's heart in the self-indigent stuff and you can tell the writer had fun writing it. If I want to read elaborate plot lines and amazing world building, I'm probably going to pick up a profic book (thats not to say I haven't come across that in fanfic too; I've read fanfic that's better than profic), but if I want fluffy downtime with my favourite characters, I'm going to go to fanfic.

Also, yeah, I write for myself and I write what I enjoy. I agree that validation and comments are important to keep the muse going (I think we had a similar conversation in the past... maybe it was in this thread), but also having fun.

And, I think the beauty of fanfic is how differently we can interpret the same characters or events or imagine "what comes next." Sure there's stuff I maybe don't enjoy, so I don't read it. It's the same way with profic: look at how different authors handle the same characters very differently, or look at what Disney did post-ROTJ as compared to Legends.

Edit: Found the post here in the OTP thread and the discussion kinda continues on the next page and I think it would make for an interesting broader question: How much do readers play a role in your motivation?

I think I'm mostly just echoing myself here when I say I write what I want to write for fun, as an creative outlook, to 'de-stress' and out of boredom (because my attention span sucks so much I often have to do something like write while I watch movies). That being said, if I didn't have at least one person reading and enjoying my stuff, I'd probably get discouraged or bored or my muse would drift off (because I do get ideas from my reader) and maybe I'd try something else to get that interaction part of the creative process.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_coffee] Is it possible to toss away/mentally block all EU input for a long lasting franchise to write fic on the original source? For instance, reading a great deal of EU consisting of comics and tie in novels for Star Wars sticks one in a strange netherworld for the "Party Like It's 1999" prompt to write a TPM story. Another instance might be for Star Trek TOS or Sherlock Holmes' canon of 56 short stories and 4 novels.[face_chicken]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not sure I understand the question. ;) oh, wait. Are you suggesting trying to block that Anakin is Vader in order to write little Ani as cute, innocent kid? [face_thinking]

pronker likes this.
  8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Yes. I'm likely blurring being a reader and being a writer, though, because as a reader I understand the "wheee, I get that foreshadowing!!" vibe when reading ficcage and as a writer I'd hope to avoid one.

9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I think the source material is pretty clear that the Anakin as a child, as of TPM, was clever, fun loving, smart, but also emotional.He loved his mother and his friends and is constantly shown as willing to help, to set himself aside. And yet, he is acutely aware of his circumstances.; the poverty, the danger, the lack of freedom. My two cents is to concentrate on these things. TPM being what it was, there is little to point to broody teen or adult mass murderer. :anakin::vader:

Gamiel and pronker like this.
  10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    The prompt revolves around Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but I could see adding Ani to a fic that either disregards the SceneThat Didn't Happen, as the fandom puts it, or acknowledges it.:cool:

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Are you speaking of glowy buggy alien thingies? :p

pronker likes this.
  12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_rofl][face_rofl]@};-

brodiew likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Use whatever you like, disregard whatever you like. Doesn't matter.

Whatever we write will be our own microverses, so won't affect anything else.

For me, a lot of my "values" were established when the SW universe and lore was the films, maybe a dozen novels, and the West End Games roleplaying guides that I purchased. That's it.

I've drawn a line in the sand. I don't care that ships can now hyperspace into gravity wells without shredding their hyperdrives, or fly through a planetary shield for some guano reason. The same, for others, would be to ignore whatever element of a character's history feels wrong, just ignore it if that is what you need to make your story work, or what you require to enjoy your writing.

Gamiel and Raissa Baiard like this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I’ve been pulling out my hair today trying to figure out how to reconcile the backstory I’d written for an OC with canon Mandalorian history. I had him trying to convince Sabine that Clan Wren should ally with his clan because they’d staunchly opposed the Mando faction that had been controlled by Maul, Dooku and other Imperial baddies—except it turns out Sabine’s mother was a member of that faction (right up until they tried to kill Sabine and wipe out the clan:p). Oops. But you know what...as you would say, drokk it. Surely Ursa Wren had a change of heart after the whole trying-to-wipe-out-the-Clan incident...and anyway, it’s not Sabine’s mom the OC wants to impress;)

pronker, Sith-I-5, TheRynJedi and 2 others like this.
  15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Interesting about the cut off points! Roleplaying guides would seem to have lots of exposition on character because they're not published to provide plots, as I take it, but to help in a tabletop/online game? So they can establish a great deal of pure delving into character.

Isn't that a bear to do! The mind spins and shovels in oodles of how to mesh with canon ideas and sometimes those ideas come a cropper. Best of luck with satisfying the urge to construct plausibility.

Thanks, all, for the food for thought. I've not read any of the novels series past NJO, but Kenobi caught my eye.:obiwan::ben:^:)^

EAD: Oh yeah, lots of Jude Watson.[face_hypnotized]

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Findswoman likes this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello all. this discussion has been percolating with me for a few days and, in light a harsh 4 word review of a fic on another site, my dander is up. Ironically, it is not related to this site, but the differences in our corner of this sit and the megalith other ff sites that have assets and imitations that we don't.

Edit: Some of the these comments were sent in PM earlier today, but I edited the personal aspects.

Speaking of other FF sites I just got slapped pretty hard with a 4 word rejection review which may be the only review I ever get for a fick that I posted for The Avengers. And, I quote: 'this sucks. Boo. Ooc.' This was left by a guest so I am able to contact the reviewer for add info. Rejection stinks whether with few words or a lot but I like what I wrote so I'm not overly concerned.

One of the benefits of this site and perhaps even a detraction is the fact that we live in a bubble. The number of fan fiction users here is much smaller and the fandom specific. A certain etiquette has been fostered for us as we've engaged the site from the beginning and that can make going out into the big bad world of other, more expensive sites, daunting.

I've been wondering lately what sparks a reader to leave a review, Or even a like or kudo. And if someone does take the time to leave a review what sparks though kalevi either positive comments or negative? In some respects this is rhetorical it can come to mind If you were writing is being roundly ignored or negative comments are being left.

I love this site. What I love about this site is how it is set up. The colors, the imagery, the aesthetically pleasing, welcoming layout. There are plenty of other sites that are laid out differently. A couple of the biggest have a spartan platform which has multiple feature, but is so hard to access any community. For me, this is layout related, not content related. One of the biggies doesn't even have a PM feature which means that all user communication is in reviews/comments. There are alot of things that can be shared in PM that may not be appropriate or relevant to a review space. I would love to be able have he kind of community there, that we have here, but it doesn't seem possible. Part of that, I know is that this site is fandom specific(for the most part). We all love the same thing and this place is for the expression of that love, in all it's different formats.

I know this is a jumble, but my mind is taxes and I don't feel like sorting it out. I hope it makes some sort of sense.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah, a crowd paradoxically creates a disconnection. So many people that you don't know them. And yeah, that review should be glossed over. It's no big deal.

There seems to be sweet spot between "dead" and "swamped" for forums.

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @brodiew, this is an excellent topic that I'm very glad you've brought up. I'm really sorry you got that shabby, mean review; that can really hurt after all the time, energy, and love one puts into a fic. I echo @GregMcP 's advice to gloss it over as best you can, though I know that's very often easier said than done.

So, here are some of my own thoughts on the matter, in no particular order (and in this case, too, some of them were sent by PM earlier today). I often use likes and kudos to mean "I like that you've posted this—I might not have the time right now to read it all the way through and write a detailed comment, but I very much support the fact that you did write and post this, and hope you will continue doing so." I have a little list I keep of stories I would like to comment on, and I might add that story to that list in such a case, especially if (a) it is about characters I especially like, (b) is very well written, or (c) any combination of those things. I grew up being taught "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all," so I do not believe in leaving negative comments. (That doesn't mean that all stories I don't comment or like/kudos on are ones that I don't like, though. Often quite the contrary.)

You're absolutely right that we've got it really good here in this relatively small and close-knit fandom community. It's a definite double-edged sword: on one hand, as you say, we definitely have a certain level of standards of behavior in place, and we maintain a high level of discourse in general (even compared to other parts of this same board, I'd say). But a bubble it certainly is, and that fact definitely can make it an extra challenge (kind of a shock, sometimes!) to dip one's feet into larger sites like AO3 that don't have those same standards. (And as you point out, the fact that they don't have private messaging there adds to that. I wonder if that may be in some way a blessing in disguise, though...)

For what it's worth, my own AO3 experience has been pretty neutral. I think I opened my account there in 2017 or so (I'm bad with dates). I haven't put everything I've written up there by any means, but everything that's up there is also posted on this site. Anyway, since doing that I have gotten the very, very occasional kudos, and not a single comment. I could speculate on why—for one thing, I get the impression that AO3 isn't as OC-positive as this site is (another way we're pretty exceptional). Though in a way that doesn't entirely faze me, since I've been using AO3 mainly as a "backup" or "storage" way anyhow—it's just another place where (some) of my stories can be found on the great big internets.

So yes, there are my thoughts on this topic on a nutshell. A pretty big nutshell—black walnut, maybe—but yeah. :p Thanks so much for bringing this up, and I look forward to hearing what others have to say!

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I will "like" a fic update or one-shot prior to leaving a review to show I read and enjoyed, just don't have time at the moment to comment, or someone above me left an eloquent expression of what I wanted to say; in the latter case, if I happen to think of other aspects I can comment on I will come back and leave a posted comment.

If an author asks for concrit, then they're open to receiving strong feedback and will take it positively; but even in that instance, it's no excuse to be rude. :rolleyes:

As for OCs, there was a time I was wary of how I'd feel about them. Then I became enchanted and enthralled, and the rest is history. :cool: They usually, no almost always ( [face_laugh] ) turned out to be one half of an OTP/couple. But I wound up liking her/him as an individual, as well. [face_love]

20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    TFN stands for The Finest Networking (available for fic writers). Regarding the specious comment, ain't no thang.

brodiew, Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I would rather get two similar reviews, so please do not feel that you have to avoid commenting, because you see someone say what you wanted to.

I love this site too. Colours, layout, community.

That describes my problem with Social Threads on my other haunt, the Roleplaying Forum.

Here, as has been said, we are all in the same bubble. On the RPF, each game is its own bubble, so attempting to fit in a thread with people that aren't involved in your game is difficult; here much easier. We can get into each other's threads without feeling like we are intruding, so we are all on the same page.

Never encountered AO3. FF.net, just too bland looking to suit me, no community, I couldn't seem to be able to get my stuff on there; and the only thing going for it, was that I could find stories pertaining to one subject, really easily.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sorry you received such a terse and frankly not very well written review of something you put effort and creativity into. As others have said, probably best to just let that one go. From the lack of effort and usable insight they (did not bother to) put into their "review" it may as well have been trolling, at any rate.

The great thing about what you have found here is that all of the traffic which will have found its way to any of your work will be from others who understand what it takes to create a fic of these specific characters and themes which makes the interactions a bit more worthwhile.

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Re what @brodiew said above: As an (checks age on drivers license, looks at member start date on profile) old lady, I’m wondering if we have a different attitude toward fanfic in general than participants in other fanfic forums. I’ve noticed that quite a lot of newer fanfic writers (as in joined in the last couple years) will post but not comment. It could simply be a matter of forum culture, as it were. They are used to not commenting as that’s perfectly fine in FF.net or AO3. I’ve even seen people post multiple chapters over a very short time period (2 or 3 a day) when there really isn’t time left for thoughtful comments between chapters. Perhaps that’s part of it.

Also, I do totally agree with the idea that this a forum OF writers. We crave feedback, even if it’s just a “like” otherwise it feels like you’re writing and nobody is reading. There’s really no other way to judge.

I for one would totally be on board with @Findswoman’s suggestion to do some kind of team review!

24. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If I read something & hate it (or think it's totally OOC), I don't leave a review. Saying "boo, this sucks" is just rude. If the writer really wants concrit, I might say "Qui-Gon's decision to put on a hot pink mankini and beat Yoda to death with a hammer seems really out of character, considering that everything else is in canon. It really pulled me out of the story. I think your description of it also might exceed board standards for acceptable violence."

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, something like that is actually usable info. That other "review" was just someone being obnoxious.

brodiew, Findswoman and pronker like this.