main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The second annual Aluminum Falcon awards: ALL RESULTS ARE UP!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    and JJM won big

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, it kinda bizarre really. I mean I'm pleased that 501st finished so strong, and certainly the Atlas is deserving(as it was my pick for EU work of the year as well), but I'm confused[face_hypnotized]

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, when you've got relatively few people voting (about 25) and weighted votes, you can get some oddities cropping up -- people who only vote for one thing instead of three, giving their single vote even more weight, people who don't vote in one category, a lot of people including something low (or high) in their rankings on one list and dropping it on a bigger-picture list while a handful of people include something high on their rankings in both lists, that sort of thing.

When I say there was no consensus on Best Work outside of the Atlas, I really mean it. 501st got where it was from the equivalent of three people giving it a first-place vote; that's how low votes for everything else were. One first-place vote and one second-place vote were enough just to place. The Atlas, on the other hand, got the equivalent of thirteen first-place votes. Due to consensus being so high on the Atlas and low on everything else, people who only voted for one thing frequently voted for the Atlas, getting us nowhere with trying to get other stuff to place.

4. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Interesting. I would have thought there would be more voters than that.

Again, great job on this Havac.=D=

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I was gonna say - next year we need a TFN news post to announce the start of voting. And a week or so of non-sticky status at some point might actually help its visibility. :p

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I'm glad John Jackson Miller and Knights of the Old Republic did so well. I just wish we weren't losing such a great comic. Hopefully, JJM will be back soon with something equally wonderful.

The Essential Atlas *is* a great product. I think it deserved its win.

Congratulations to all the winners.

Once again, thanks Havac, for all of your work on organizing these awards and compiling the list of winners.

CooperTFN, nice job on creating the award. It looks great!

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I don't know how much of the reason was visibility. I wasn't really enthused by enough stuff this year to vote; I've only even read three of the novels in the Best Novel category, for example.

8. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I dunno what to say Hydro.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay KotOR! Yay John Jackson Miller! Yay Legacy! Yay Dark Horse!

Although that last best EU thing ended up being really strange. Essential Atlas was a definite for first place, but 501st was second when it wasn't even in the top three of the novels? Strange the way these votes play out. Gotta remember to vote earlier next year. Though its almost sad that the Atlas drew so many first-place votes so that we ended up with a really strange looking list, but oh well, at least that goes to show how awesome the Atlas was. Wonder if anything else next year will match it.

KotOR should still be in the running next year, right? Then again, by the next Aluminum Falcons, it'll probably have faded from most people's minds, unfortunately.

10. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I think the reason was most people didn't know this vote was going on. I definitely would have voted but I totally forgot the voting had even started. If there was an announcement outside of this thread about the start of the voting process, I definitely would have participated. But anyway, nice work Havac! And I'm also pleased with many of the winners.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ^ I rest my case. ^

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm surprised that Drew Karpyshyn placed so low. I'm surprised that he placed lower than Karen Traviss. IC: 501st was when I started to reevaluate my opinion of her. I agree that we need to publicize it more next year.

I would have voted for more things, but I refused to vote for what I hadn't actually read.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah, with this happening when school was starting back up, I didn't have time to get a vote in. When I finally had a minute and looked in here it said the voting was over.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    How in the name of Ziost did Patterns of Force come out ahead of Dynasty of Evil?:p

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I suppose too many people were miffed at the ending. I didn't even bother with patterns of the force; I read the first book, and wasn't very impressed. Dynasty of Evil deserved better than it got. Which reminds me, I really need to post a review of it for the JC Lit Reviews Special...

If they hadn't been released in hardback, I would have read FOTJ. But hardcovers are expensive and take up too much space on my overcrowded shelves, so I didn't.

But hey, the Essential Atlas got its dues!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hey, why was this unstickied the day after all the results went up? Not like I have a vested interest in it or anything.

I generally agree with what won and I didn't even vote. I should do that more often if that's the way it works. Except for that 501st glitch at the end there. Argh.:oops:

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Despite the kinda weird voting results (that have already been mentioned a few times) 8-}, I think we have some very deserving winners here, particularly John Jackson Miller, but also a lot of the others. The Atlas... wow, what an incredible work! :eek:

=D= =D= =D=

18. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Abyss by Denning won best novel yet Allston won best novel author? Reminds me of when a movie wins best picture at the Oscars without winning best director.o_O

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    That one actually makes a weird sort of sense... but 501st finishing as the fifth best novel but 2nd best work overall, beating out all four novels which beat it for best novel? That doesn't make sense :p

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, not having read DOE yet, Patterns of Force was, despite it's subpar ending, 75% of the best Star Wars story in decades, so that probably had something to do with it [face_mischief] :D

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Whoa, this is awesome. Many thanks to everybody!

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Hey, seriously, you guys deserve it.

23. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Are you really that modest, Jason? The Essential Atlas isn't just the best SW reference work for 2009, it's the best SW reference work ever. And while it may not be the best EU work ever, I think I'd put it somewhere in my top 10.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This.

25. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Thank you TFN Literature! We're just so happy to be here. So happy. A lot of people helped get us to this point. To my first-grade English teacher, Mrs. Price, I did it --

(music starts playing)

Wait, wait --

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.