main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Secrets of the Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Who's not keeping him in the loop? JJ Abrams? You think JJ could explain what a dyad is? It's just something that sounds thought provoking but has no actual explanation. That's JJ's whole MO.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's what the EU is for, it's gonna expand on it.

There are a bunch of things in Star Wars that are thought provoking but have zero explanation that's like 99% of Star Wars.

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    For gods sake folks... I could cite 3 separate ideas that the Dyad emulated from the top of my head, maybe more even. Nothing in SW is hollow and without explanation. Star Wars is code, superficially it is a nice spacey action adventure, going deeper it is a space opera drawing inspiration from history, myth and legends, a modern myth. Going down the rabbit hole and emerging in Wonderland, you see what it all means and where the inspiration came really from... JJ, Lucas, many SW creators are big on esoterics. If they believe them? Who cares, that is another debate, but they use them and for storytelling they are a rich repository that adds a lot of context and sense to what many seem to be missing from the movies. Only because it is not spelled out for those too lazy to research some stuff or recognise it from earlier research does not mean there is no explanation. Hollywood is full of such in its movies on a deeper level. There even are entire books on decoding movies of hollywood spiritually or in other ways, not just the Matrix or the most common examples.

For a reading list, ask your local bookseller... or PM me!

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I just get a kick out of how the response to Pablo saying "I have theories about dyads" is fans assuming Pablo is no longer up to date about what's going on in canon and/or bashing JJ Abrams for not inventing enough lore about dyads.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Ah, Leland is still around, is he? Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

6. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Didn't Chris Terrio invent the dyad?

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Apparently he contributed a lot to Tie-In Books according to Palblo

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Chris's TIE Marauder is at Galaxy's Edge, too.

Darth Corydon likes this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    ...Do you mean the TIE echelon? That's Colin Trevorrow's.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thank you for translating me to me. [face_oops]

11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    But yeah, both Terrio and Johnson seem well-versed enough in the wider material to be interested in creating expanded lore. Apparently Rian took cues from a lot of the material developed for various iterations of TFA to fill in gaps in the ROTJ-TFA period (some of which ended up in Bloodline), and I bet Terrio tried to link the Final Order to the post-Jakku remnants a little more than JJ "Didn't Star Wars end in 1983?" Abrams.

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Considering I'm the only one who mentioned JJ Abrams, I'd say that's a misrepresentation. I wasn't even responding directly to the thing Pablo said on twitter but to people saying information was being withheld from him, and all I said was JJ doesn't do backstory like that, so there is no information being withheld from him.

Golbolco likes this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    If that wasn't the intended takeaway then I withdraw my own remark about it and apologize. I think the bottom line we can draw is that Pablo isn't being kept out of the loop by anyone, including JJ. He simply didn't work on the book, and Story Group when possible tries to leave lore like that to be created by the actual creatives, not by themselves, so this is an instance where Pablo has an opportunity to, like us, speculate.

Daneira, QuinlanSolo and Lord Exor like this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's probably why TROS over TFA has a bit more connections to the expanded stuff since Terrio seems to know a bit about the expanded lore. JJ and Kasdan probably don't know nor care.

Lord Exor likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Terrio also read heir to the empire and dark empire i belive, he's an EU fanboy. I hope he's allowed to come back and do more Star Wars in future.

16. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    I'd love to see that, but he's laid low since TROS. If his interviews over Justice League are anything to go by, I think he's understandably frustrated with his franchise work being so maligned.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Dawud786 likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Would love a high-res version of that, without the paper crease.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Since Secrets of the Sith started this trend I thought i put this here

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I feel like the concept of the Dyad is being misconstrued.

We only have one example of a dyad.

Ben and Rey.

Who were only able to truly realize the full power of their bond when they trusted each other. Completely and unreservedly. It’s only at that moment on Exegol, when Rey is facing down Sidious and Ben is cornered by the Knights that they can feel each other clearly and the full power of the Dyad is realized.

The power of Two allows Rey to reach across time and space and literally transcend it. She uses that unmatched power in the Force to teleport her lightsaber into Ben’s hand. That saves her partner and soon, they face Darth Sidious together. Who promptly drains them dry, stealing the power of their bond and revitalizing himself.

That colossal lightning storm that devastates the Citizen’s Fleet isn’t a product of Darth Sidious’s inherent power. It’s an result of the stolen energy from Ben and Rey, released in the most destructive form the Force can muster.

That Force Storm is the ultimate expression of Force power.

Power to destroy and conquer. Power that the Sith can never achieve.

Ben and Rey realize their power when they learn to trust each other.

The Sith never trust one another. They can never truly cooperate or partner in a meaningful way. They’re always trying to undo one another.

Plagueis could never forge a dyad with Sidious and Sidious could never forge one with Vader. No true Sith can care about another and that’s why they could never realize the true power of Two. The Rule of Two was made in imitation of the Dyad but it could never achieve a power like life itself.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel a lot of things in TROS are ;)

Lord Exor and Vialco like this.
  21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    These things need to be looked at with an objective eye, within the context of the entire SW universe. That’s how I try to see things. I’ll be the first person to say that TROS has its flaws, but it makes more sense if you look at it from a distance.

ColeFardreamer and Lord Exor like this.
  22. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    But it's just that they try to make a Dyad, or think they have a Dyad due to them working together, not that they actually achieved it like Rey and Kylo had it.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think a lot of TROS makes sense if you look at it from a distance.

Honestly I think TROS actually from a basic plot and lore element perspective is the best Endgame that really ties everything together and is only continued to be reinforced with the whole cloning Subplots of Mandalorian and Bad Batch.

Plus even stuff pre TROS like Aftermath and some of the Vader comics I think help it out as well.

Novelization also helps in that matter but that's just be and also I really like the novelization of TROS.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2021
    Vialco likes this.
  24. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    totally agree